PDA

View Full Version : Official old grumpy assholes of zilvia thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

dorkidori_s13
10-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Soo $4,500 then?

That is not a $25,000 car.

not saying its a $25,000 car... simply stating that 1998 S14s in stick ARE rare as there were only a few hundred of them made like that from the factory

Hey bro, just cause u broke ass low baller.

Lolzz

thats pretty much all i think anymore when i see someone bitch about price on anything 240sx related because they cant afford it, dont know how to budget and think everything should be ebay chinese made garbage pricing

duballstar37
10-17-2019, 11:22 AM
I'm budgeting for a time machine to go back and collect pignose lips.

dorkidori_s13
10-17-2019, 11:32 AM
I'm budgeting for a time machine to go back and collect pignose lips.

wont need to in a year or so when i bring mine in urethane, though youll have to drill a few holes in your bumper for the nuts to go into to prevent any sort of sagging.

spooled240
10-17-2019, 11:38 AM
98 S14 kouki in stick (not converted) IS extremely rare. there were only a few hundred made in stick out of the 2000 odd S14s produced that year.

True, but does anyone really care? lol The car is identical to a '97

duballstar37
10-17-2019, 11:51 AM
wont need to in a year or so when i bring mine in urethane, though youll have to drill a few holes in your bumper for the nuts to go into to prevent any sort of sagging.

I've heard that urethane time machines are "ebay chinese made garbage".

Initial Drift
10-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Hey bro, just cause u broke ass low baller.

Lolzz

Thanks Corbic..... Appreciate it. Not a broke ass boi. I am willing to spend good money on a good car.

Usually when I have dealt with the people who make it a point to add "no lowballers" they really mean "no other offers" or "firm". The "no lowballers" comes off much worse tho because it implies that they will entertain counter offers but they tend to think anything not at asking price is low balling on usually already over priced items.

not saying its a $25,000 car... simply stating that 1998 S14s in stick ARE rare as there were only a few hundred of them made like that from the factory

What would you say is somewhat fair for this car? From the pics I would say 8kish if it wasn't salvaged.

thats pretty much all i think anymore when i see someone bitch about price on anything 240sx related because they cant afford it, dont know how to budget and think everything should be ebay chinese made garbage pricing

I detest cheap ebay parts and knockoffs if genuine is available. I would pay good money for genuine/OEM kits or high quality ones like I have heard yours are. Paying a decent amount of money for a knockoff kit that doesn't fit right hurts me more than good prices hurt my wallet.

Corbic
10-17-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks Corbic..... Appreciate it. Not a broke ass boi. I am willing to spend good money on a good car.

I thought the lollz contained the hint I was being sarcastic.

Initial Drift
10-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I don't know with written word when there is sarcasm.
:ugh:

Corbic
10-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Meh, problem is value.

A 10 year old mint 240 for $10k was a steal. A 25 year old shit box for $6k is garbage.

The whole hobby went to shit. Cars got worse but more expensive. Parts got worse and more expensive and just being able to easily pick up stock parts and part outs is nonexistent anymore.

15 years ago I could Craigslist 240sx and find 30 cars for sale and dozens of guys selling parts. I could swing by a pick-N-pull and find at least one 240.

So yeah, supply v demand / scarcity... But the problem I have is when you are looking at a stock Kouki for $25k... That's in spitting distance of an Aircooled Porsche, C6, C5Z06, brand new GT86, R32 GTR, Imported N/A MKIV.... Etc.

There is just Soooo much out there $20, $25 and $30k can buy.

I saw a guy score a 2010 salvage title GT500 for $23k.

What made the 240 great to me was the whole package, today that package is more aligned with a C5 Corvette.

You can get a C5 for $9-15k that's well cared for, parts are cheap, mods are simple and cheap and the cars are great to beat on. Buying a project isn't a total restoration with impossible to find interior parts, dashes and weather stripping.

That said, I'd buy a brand new 180sx Type-X for $20-25k.

jedi03
10-17-2019, 01:18 PM
so makes it worth 10x as much obvs

dorkidori_s13
10-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Entire Corbic response... just to save space

oh i completely agree this guys asking price is outrageous.. someone above stated $8,000. THAT would be more inline with what the car is worth.

Also, in regards to your parts cost thing (like replacements or restoration stuff)... i tend to buy all that i can from Japan. just picked up a fully remanufactured SR20det power steering pump with pulley, nuts, bolts and bracket for $100 + $60 in shipping. the rebuilt KA pump i bought here was like $180 shipped and only included the pump. price gouging for junk/poor condition used parts (from people wanting top dollar) in the US is really annoying and if you know how to buy parts out Japan, thats totally worth the little extra in shipping costs.

also, someone above said something about "car is identical to a 97". well, there were only a few hundred made in 97 that were stick as well. 98 is the last production year, so its kind of special to those of us who still value these cars.

also... not sure what this was about...

I've heard that urethane time machines are "ebay chinese made garbage".

if shit talking, dont care. go waste your breath with the people who dont approve of what i do (im sure theres a thread about it somewhere) caaaaaaaause no fucks given on my end of what people think anymore!

Initial Drift
10-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Oh dang. I'm glad to know that sourcing parts from Japan isn't as cost prohibitive as I believed.

dorkidori_s13
10-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Oh dang. I'm glad to know that sourcing parts from Japan isn't as cost prohibitive as I believed.

no. but it requires a lot of time in translating and figuring out what works with what... ive been hunting around japan for my aero parts that i reproduce for the past 5 odd years, so ive gotten really good at where to go on various sites and also what words to use to find what im looking for. for a novice, it will be frustrating and discouraging. its also something that needs to be done on a computer to make it much easier with switching between windows, copy and pasting and navigating around various open tabs to make it all happen. you also need to set up an account with Buyee AND an importer. the importer is REQUIRED for large or super heavy items.

Initial Drift
10-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Makes sense. Not speaking the language and expecting to be able to easily acquire things is foolhardy.

I imagine finding a reputable and trustworthy importer is one of the harder pieces. Especially if you are very inconsistent with your frequency of purchases.

deolio
10-17-2019, 08:21 PM
but google translate exists...

duballstar37
10-17-2019, 09:03 PM
also... not sure what this was about...

if shit talking, dont care. go waste your breath with the people who dont approve of what i do (im sure theres a thread about it somewhere) caaaaaaaause no fucks given on my end of what people think anymore!

Not shit talking and my comment wasn't directed at your products or hustle, just trolling and being an "Old grumpy asshole of ziliva" because the OP once said:

...but hey, I'm just an asshole. Following rules is 'mean' and 'counterproductive.'

jedi03
10-18-2019, 08:29 AM
it was pretty funny imo...especially as there was no bashing dorki's actual product but the theoretical item that was implied by the prior posts!

S13SilviaGirl
10-18-2019, 07:22 PM
True, but does anyone really care? lol The car is identical to a '97

Some do. I know I would prefer a 98 over a 97...but alas I have 2 97s

dorkidori_s13
10-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Some do. I know I would prefer a 98 over a 97...but alas I have 2 97s

oh shit... HIDE!!! SHES GOT THE BAN AXE!!!

also... ITS YOUR FAULT! ;)

spooled240
10-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Some do. I know I would prefer a 98 over a 97...but alas I have 2 97sAs would I if all things are equal on the 97 and 98.

But I'd take a slightly cleaner 97 any day.

The price difference between model years makes sense for other cars with more differences, like FD's. 94 and 95's had more performance available options not limited to the R1/R2, they had better interior finishes, better interior color combinations, passenger air bags, better paint quality, different paint colors all on top of just being more rare.

So that's why I find it funny when people are like, "ninety fucking eighttttt!!!! Extremely RURRR!!" ..It was one of a smaller batch of identical s14's that rolled off the assembly line 12 months later, who gives a shit.

dizzariot
10-19-2019, 07:28 PM
As would I if all things are equal on the 97 and 98.

But I'd take a slightly cleaner 97 any day.

The price difference between model years makes sense for other cars with more differences, like FD's. 94 and 95's had more performance available options not limited to the R1/R2, they had better interior finishes, better interior color combinations, passenger air bags, better paint quality, different paint colors all on top of just being more rare.

So that's why I find it funny when people are like, "ninety fucking eighttttt!!!! Extremely RURRR!!" ..It was one of a smaller batch of identical s14's that rolled off the assembly line 12 months later, who gives a shit.

I get what you're saying. As someone that sizes up cars based of OEM color and mileage alone, I can honestly say nitpicking between '97 an '98 seems like nerd shit to me lol. If someone ever tried to offer me less because of that, I'd tell them to fuck right off.

Maybe not grumpy, but still bugging me: I feel like it's time to let my 240SX and two-tone go. I don't have any particular reasons. I feel like the S15 just ticks all the boxes and the need to have an S13 has finally ran its course.

Someone talk me off the ledge, or push me over. I'll do a flip.

S14rebuild
10-19-2019, 07:36 PM
I get what you're saying. As someone that sizes up cars based of OEM color and mileage alone, I can honestly say nitpicking between '97 an '98 seems like nerd shit to me lol. If someone ever tried to offer me less because of that, I'd tell them to fuck right off.

Maybe not grumpy, but still bugging me: I feel like it's time to let my 240SX and two-tone go. I don't have any particular reasons. I feel like the S15 just ticks all the boxes and the need to have an S13 has finally ran its course.

Shitzzzzz, agreed but im in no position to jump on an s15. If i coukd i wouldnt hesitate to ditch my s14. Just gotta make due with what i got I guess

spooled240
10-19-2019, 11:54 PM

I hate having two of same car and it seems like the s13 is simply an inferior version of the s15, so I'd consider selling it. I like having one car to focus on.

Corbic
10-20-2019, 12:07 PM
I hate having two of same car and it seems like the s13 is simply an inferior version of the s15, so I'd consider selling it. I like having one car to focus on.What, what the fuck did you just say....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191020/a1b508ad349c754edb4e3b865fe28796.jpg

Type-X is the pinicle in design and styling. S15 is inferior in every way.

dorkidori_s13
10-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Type-X is played out and damn near everyone with an S13 only wants "type-x yo" parts even though its really not that great looking and never really was unless done in a few specific ways that almost no one can pull off anymore.

also, the correct name for those aero parts is actually 180sx kouki aero because "type-x" was nothing more than a trim level that started out on the 1994 180sx chuki model, but the internet and all its infinite wisdom has mislabeled it for over 15 years

fixed that for you ;)

dizzariot
10-20-2019, 05:05 PM
What, what the fuck did you just say....

Oh if you want to argue looks, I might actually be inclined to agree.

...but *Morpheus voice* What if I told you you could own an SChassis that has ZERO mystery creaks and no road noise when driving?

I also agree with dorki, but there's a catch. The kouki 180SX look is totally 'overplayed'. FOUR cars come to mind IMMEDIATELY when I think of kouki aero and they are CONTINUALLY spammed on all social media. I love the kouki stuff...and I really don't go in for anything else on the hatch. HOWEVER, I'm tired of seeing it and I don't want to follow along. Yes, I know what else is out there. No, I don't like it enough to put it on my hatch.

it's not looking at the cars that gets me, it's spending multiple years driving rattleboxes that's finally whittled me down.

...and since my whole 'car-history' is on Zilvia anyway, I'll admit I was disillusioned by owning a SpecS. I knew about the added braces on the SpecR...but holy shit does it seem to make all the difference when it comes to eliminating road noise and chassis creaks.

Corbic
10-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Oh if you want to argue looks, I might actually be inclined to agree.

...but *Morpheus voice* What if I told you you could own an SChassis that has ZERO mystery creaks and no road noise when driving?

Then buy a Corvette.

I also agree with dorki, but there's a catch. The kouki 180SX look is totally 'overplayed'. FOUR cars come to mind IMMEDIATELY when I think of kouki aero and they are CONTINUALLY spammed on all social media. I love the kouki stuff...and I really don't go in for anything else on the hatch. HOWEVER, I'm tired of seeing it and I don't want to follow along. Yes, I know what else is out there. No, I don't like it enough to put it on my hatch.

Strongly disagree. I've actually never seen a Kouki on the road. Ever.

This is where the internet and real life diverge. Just because you see Koukis and TE37s all over Zilvia and IG doesn't mean they exist out in the wild.

If someone 1,500 miles away owns a car and spams pictures of it online, and that makes you feel your car isn't special enough.... You need to reevaluate why your into cars in the first place.

Spending money you don't have to impress people you don't know to win races you'll never race...

it's not looking at the cars that gets me, it's spending multiple years driving rattleboxes that's finally whittled me down.

...and since my whole 'car-history' is on Zilvia anyway, I'll admit I was disillusioned by owning a SpecS. I knew about the added braces on the SpecR...but holy shit does it seem to make all the difference when it comes to eliminating road noise and chassis creaks.

Problem is a S13 is 26-30 years old now. That's automotive ancient.

Think about it, that would be like driving a Ford Model T around in the mid 60's during the launch of the Muscle Car Era.

ixfxi
10-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Anyone interested in a stock salvage kouki for $25k?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/d/el-cajon-1998-nissan-240sx/6997138350.html

while you dip shits have been bantering about how rare this and that is, dude lowered his *asking* price to 17500. You see, this is the thing about selling... as a seller, you're allowed to list something at whatever price you desire. Just because you ask for X amount of dollars, does not mean you are going to get it. Do I get upset that this person is asking for a lot of money? Nope, not at all. There is a reason why his price got slashed, because his asking price was not realistic.

98 S14 kouki in stick (not converted) IS extremely rare. there were only a few hundred made in stick out of the 2000 odd S14s produced that year.

And this nerd mentality is the reason why some people eventually get their asking price. Because of pencil necked geeks who sit around notating all this useless information. If you care that its all original, stock manual trans -then good for you. Me personally, I could give a flying fuck as long as its been converted properly. And in the end what do you have? A shitty KA with a manual trans, as if that is something to fall in love with. Its nice, but this is why these cars... stock for stock, will never have the following of say an MKIV Supra Turbo or an NSX. Because in stock form, our cars suck cock.

The irony here is I would much rather have a 1995 MT w/ SR20DET and full JDM kouki aero. At least this way you have OBD1 vehicle that is easier to smog, got your proper engine/trans setup, and the exterior appearance.

Fuckin nerds

dorkidori_s13
10-20-2019, 10:59 PM
f someone 1,500 miles away owns a car and spams pictures of it online, and that makes you feel your car isn't special enough.... You need to reevaluate why your into cars in the first place.

the sheer amount of S13 kouki aero parts i sell is nuts... soooo its not just some dude 1500 miles away. s13 kouki aero has turned into the most desired and popular aero parts for the s13 as of the last few years. has nothing to do with making my car "special enough", i just miss seeing variety in our scene :(

Corbic
10-21-2019, 05:44 AM
the sheer amount of S13 kouki aero parts i sell is nuts... soooo its not just some dude 1500 miles away. s13 kouki aero has turned into the most desired and popular aero parts for the s13 as of the last few years. has nothing to do with making my car "special enough", i just miss seeing variety in our scene :(
When is the last time you saw a Kouki Hatch out in the wild? Not at a show or drift event, but just while walking into the Costco.

Kouki is popular because it's the best looking Aero. BN, Hot Road and SS require serious Ricer Dedication. G Sport looks like a Kouki knock off even though it predates it. Everything else is pretty much trash, especially Rocket Bunny.

Corbic
10-21-2019, 08:35 AM
The irony here is I would much rather have a 1995 MT w/ SR20DET and full JDM kouki aero. At least this way you have OBD1 vehicle that is easier to smog, got your proper engine/trans setup, and the exterior appearance.

Fuckin nerds

What is this Smog thing you speak of?

OBD1? Is that like R2D2 or something from the new movies?

Less popular opinion, Zenki S14 / BN Aero is best S14.

20 years later, this shit is still tits.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191021/f897ee0ae6fe979714646a6b941617f8.jpg

spooled240
10-21-2019, 09:28 AM
What, what the fuck did you just say....

Styling is subjective, but functionality the s15 is superior hands-down. Newer SR with VVT and GT28, better chassis, better suspension design, HID headlights, etc. Only things that suck about the s15 are the narrower fenders and Grand Am tail lights..

while you dip shits have been bantering about how rare this and that is, dude lowered his *asking* price to 17500. You see, this is the thing about selling... as a seller, you're allowed to list something at whatever price you desire. Just because you ask for X amount of dollars, does not mean you are going to get it. Do I get upset that this person is asking for a lot of money? Nope, not at all. There is a reason why his price got slashed, because his asking price was not realistic.

We're in agreement here..I have just as much of a right to laugh my ass off at his price as he does asking $25k for a salvaged 1998 Nissan

Corbic
10-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Styling is subjective, but functionality the s15 is superior hands-down. Newer SR with VVT and GT28, better chassis, better suspension design, HID headlights, etc. Only things that suck about the s15 are the narrower fenders and Grand Am tail lights..

We're in agreement here..I have just as much of a right to laugh my ass off at his price as he does asking $25k for a salvaged 1998 NissanWe're taking about 240's here. Styling is all that matters.

Functionally a C5Z or C6Z are vastly superior to an S15 and will cost the same.

A FRBZ86 (freeezb 80-6) is half the price and a swap away from glory. It's alsp a newer, more solid chasis with none of the RHD Import nonsense..

spooled240
10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
We're taking about 240's here. Styling is all that matters.

Functionally a C5Z or C6Z are vastly superior to an S15 and will cost the same.

A FRBZ86 (freeezb 80-6) is half the price and a swap away from glory. It's alsp a newer, more solid chasis with none of the RHD Import nonsense..

True, but the desire for a car is never a black and white formula of performance for people. I don't ever see myself getting a Corvette. I'd go for a GT350. The unique engine, great aesthetics, phenomenal performance all while having a back seat check all the boxes for me. Low mileage examples are going for $40kish on BaT and I'm expecting them to go for cheaper when the GT500 comes out.

Corbic
10-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Just me or do the infamous Zilvia classifieds suck these days?

Used to seem like dozens of cars and parts got posted daily, doesn't seem like it anymore.

dorkidori_s13
10-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Used to seem like dozens of cars and parts got posted daily, doesn't seem like it anymore.

zilvia has been dying over the years... its getting pretty bad now. Facebook has taken over the use of forums for the most part with their own forum system. browsing forums on a cell phone (even use talpatalk or whatever that stupid app is called) isnt fun and tends to feel very "archaic" to most younger folks now versus how Facebook has it formatted.

Corbic
10-21-2019, 02:30 PM
True, but the desire for a car is never a black and white formula of performance for people. I don't ever see myself getting a Corvette. I'd go for a GT350. The unique engine, great aesthetics, phenomenal performance all while having a back seat check all the boxes for me. Low mileage examples are going for $40kish on BaT and I'm expecting them to go for cheaper when the GT500 comes out.Understood and agreed. I just use the Corvetes as examples because they are in that $15k-$30k range where all the R32s, JDM Imports and likely S15s would be.

It's like, you can buy a C5Z and just drive it. To match it with a S13/14 you'd be spending x2 as much and be constantly dealing with project/race car nonsense.

Lesson Learned bought > built unless your just into building. Looking back, buddies with Subaru just had their $18k, toss on an exhaust and BOV and are out snow drifting all winter. Meanwhile I was trying to source 5-lug hubs and solve wiring issues or what not.

Funnest cars I have had have been near stock minimal projects.

dorkidori_s13
10-21-2019, 02:48 PM
It's like, you can buy a C5Z and just drive it. To match it with a S13/14 you'd be spending x2 as much and be constantly dealing with project/race car nonsense.

true you can buy something nicer right off the lot that does more... but to some of us, theres just something more satisfying about building a classic car. you learn a lot more that way. dont get me wrong, would be nice to buy a brand new ecoboost Mustang or 4 cyl turbo Camaro off the lot and start from scratch with a brand new chassis, but at the end of the day... me personally, i love the fact that my S13 is nearing completion after 9 years of work and itll stay that way since im not really that interested in taking it out to the track and beating the shit out of it. im not 22 anymore and i like having a fully restored and built S13 hatch ;) plus i get lots of instagram points that way LOL :naughtyd:

dizzariot
10-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Then buy a Corvette.

You know if you hadn't posted about a muscle car I would've asked if you were feeling alright.

trongly disagree. I've actually never seen a Kouki on the road. Ever.

This is where the internet and real life diverge. Just because you see Koukis and TE37s all over Zilvia and IG doesn't mean they exist out in the wild.

If someone 1,500 miles away owns a car and spams pictures of it online, and that makes you feel your car isn't special enough.... You need to reevaluate why your into cars in the first place.

Spending money you don't have to impress people you don't know to win races you'll never race...

I think you're reading into what I said a little too much. I'm not trying to impress, and I think my line of 'styling' kind of speaks to that.

I'm just tired of seeing it. With my eyes. Wherever it is. I'm from CA and there are at least 3 good Type X cars we all know from around my area. Then you log into IG and see the same few cars over and over again. I'm really just over it man.

Your post is kind of contradictory. You're saying I shouldn't care about what people think but then point out the rarity of kouki aero like turning heads IS a good thing. I've really never cared...hence this thread lol.

Other things I read but don't want to quote:

- That Hakone Edition 86 is super cool

- NSXs are definetly the shit, but the pricing on them is fucking ridiculous considering the new one is 'meh;

- Marketplace is totally shitty now. Maybe the forum IS dying. Sad to say.

S14rebuild
10-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Yea i was on back in 2006-2010 years like everyday. Was always crazy deals and everytime i logged on there was pages of new classifieds added and the wheel whore thread was god like! Uhh i feel old now

Corbic
10-21-2019, 05:04 PM
You know if you hadn't posted about a muscle car I would've asked if you were feeling alright.

I think you're reading into what I said a little too much. I'm not trying to impress, and I think my line of 'styling' kind of speaks to that.

I'm just tired of seeing it. With my eyes. Wherever it is. I'm from CA and there are at least 3 good Type X cars we all know from around my area. Then you log into IG and see the same few cars over and over again. I'm really just over it man.

Your post is kind of contradictory. You're saying I shouldn't care about what people think but then point out the rarity of kouki aero like turning heads IS a good thing. I've really never cared...hence this thread lol.

Not contradictory. I'm not saying a Kouki turns heads. Fuck, most people will walk by thinking it's a Saturn or Ford Probe... Assuming they even remember those cars these days.

I'm just saying it's perception.

S14rebuild
10-21-2019, 05:14 PM
S14 kouki=honda prelude

Corbic
10-21-2019, 09:06 PM
S14 kouki=honda preludeThree cheers!

Corbic
10-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Fucking stupid millennial click bait bullshit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191022/e2bc4524e46290baefb32ee638bedc33.jpg

Fucking Evosnunder $10K...LMAO https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191022/9afd6d30655fca7d16ba2dc045e6053e.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191022/08d4cc5b1072b3b3e2c80d8364678d8a.jpg

Fucking Eclipse is USDM to the max, and anyone worth their salt knows it's the Gen 1 cars that are superior.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191022/bea5418fdc51e267fe36a54c04587930.jpg

spooled240
10-22-2019, 02:03 PM
High mileage Evo 9's are $30k right now wtff

it's an econobox with a front diff and a turbo

Corbic
10-22-2019, 04:18 PM
High mileage Evo 9's are $30k right now wtff

it's an econobox with a front diff and a turboNaw, my budy sold his white 550whp Evo 9 with 56k miles for $25k

spooled240
10-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Naw, my budy sold his white 550whp Evo 9 with 56k miles for $25k

That sounds about right. Heavily modified Evo's actually go for less. If it were stock he could have sold it for $35k.

Corbic
10-22-2019, 10:14 PM
That sounds about right. Heavily modified Evo's actually go for less. If it were stock he could have sold it for $35k.Heavily modified? Lol, twin disk, injectors and turbo.

Corbic
10-23-2019, 07:55 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191023/a1ed161edab0342809e139754d3ea91a.jpg

So much going on with this meme.

KA24DESOneThree
10-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Heavily modified? Lol, twin disk, injectors and turbo.

That is "pay someone $200 to get it smogged and get it impounded if you get pulled over" modified in CA.

They're sub-five-second cars stock. I giggle like a schoolgirl when a 2.2L 911S comes on cam, and that's a high-6, low-7 car.

Re: classifieds. Everything is super low effort now. Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo... like three shitty pictures and "seling nissn torbo for s13/14 chassy is good shape. upgrdng to griddy torbo. have manfold 2 if u wnt. hit me up"

I don't care how many times a car has been done with certain aero. If it's done well, it's done well. Almost every Type-X aero car I've seen is almost perfect but could benefit from a little tweaking.

jedi03
10-23-2019, 08:54 AM
lol that will be the new one to use at work! I also like how its the GS model eclipse not the GST or GSX...

I'm also in the boat of need a reliable car...I loved working on my "race cars" every day and I still feel like somethings missing if I'm not working on a car, but times change, body ages and time needs to be spent elsewhere...my STI needed a lot of work to bring it up to my want for reliability, My wife still complains that I still work on it to much, but it is 10 years old and I remind her it is a used car...if I had kept my s13 or fc I could have spent less and brought them up similarly, just like any art or hobby each person has their own wants, I'm sure we will be like those model ts, old guys driving them to and from car shows, in the near future

Corbic
10-23-2019, 09:15 AM
That is "pay someone $200 to get it smogged and get it impounded if you get pulled over" modified in CA.

I always forget not everyone on Zilvia lives in America.....

spooled240
10-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Heavily modified? Lol, twin disk, injectors and turbo.

Doesn't that also mean standalone, e85 tune, catless turbo-back exhaust, intake, exhaust manifold and a bunch of added gauges and electronics in the interior? lol

Corbic
10-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Doesn't that also mean standalone, e85 tune, catless turbo-back exhaust, intake, exhaust manifold and a bunch of added gauges and electronics in the interior? lolIt's an Evo, not a junky Nissan.

spooled240
10-23-2019, 09:26 AM
It's an Evo, not a junky Nissan.

It's a Lancer

S14rebuild
10-23-2019, 09:55 AM
It's a Lancer
Lmao......

dorkidori_s13
10-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Re: classifieds. Everything is super low effort now. Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo... like three shitty pictures and "seling nissn torbo for s13/14 chassy is good shape. upgrdng to griddy torbo. have manfold 2 if u wnt. hit me up"

you forgot these types of listings too ;)

"240sx for sale. has manuel transmishun and clean titul"

Corbic
10-23-2019, 11:01 AM
It's a LancerWith a 4G63 and a factory ECU that can be easily tuned, that was my point. It's a not a SR that needs a $15k build sheet to make over 500whp.

As I recall he had a Gredy Cat back, FMIC and FPS stock location turbo with K&N drop in filter. Hardly "heavily modified". Either way, the point holds, no one is picking up a running Evo for under $10k. Idiots that wrote the article likely don't know the difference from a Lancer and Evo.

ixfxi
10-25-2019, 11:33 AM
When is the last time you saw a Kouki Hatch out in the wild? Not at a show or drift event, but just while walking into the Costco.

Everything else is pretty much trash, especially Rocket Bunny.

if i own kouki s13 and kouki s14 does that count?

Corbic
10-25-2019, 12:51 PM
if i own kouki s13 and kouki s14 does that count?Nope.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191025/479eb2089f0774fc48d81acf4c1a7821.jpg

spooled240
10-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Been an old grumpy asshole reminiscing on the old days with my s14. When it was on lowering springs and had a reasonable amount of ground clearance with durable OEM JDM aero.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48990760133_d5a9460883_z.jpg

Even drove this bitch in the snow lol

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48991505072_bfa811d78c_z.jpg

The car was so fun to drive back then. I'm seriously contemplating swapping everything back to JDM OEM with just lowering springs/good dampers, sway bars and 18x9's with 255's all around. Then convert the KA-T to a low-key quick-spooling bottom mount setup. Here's to spending thousands of dollars and hours of work just to get back to square one. Fuck me.

/end old grumpy asshole rant

KA24DESOneThree
10-31-2019, 12:47 PM
That's why I have a track car and am working on a street car. A double-duty car is too compromised.

mrmephistopheles
10-31-2019, 02:40 PM
Here's to spending thousands of dollars and hours of work just to get back to square one. Fuck me.

Could be worse. You could sell off the cars you've spent years building for no reason other than needing money, then start over again 10 years later with parts harder to come by and with double the drift tax than when you first started. lol

That said, we grow more wise as we age. When I was 20, I didn't give a shit about my AC going out, it just meant MORE POWA. Now I will almost refuse to drive without it. Seeing people rip out A/Cs from 240s BECAUSE RACECAR only to sell the shell 6 months later because they lost interest resulting in a car that'll be THAT MUCH MORE of a pain in the ass to make nice again chaps my butt a little.

But yeah there's something to be said for being comfortable and having fun too.

S14rebuild
10-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Could be worse. You could sell off the cars you've spent years building for no reason other than needing money, then start over again 10 years later with parts harder to come by and with double the drift tax than when you first started. lol

That said, we grow more wise as we age. When I was 20, I didn't give a shit about my AC going out, it just meant MORE POWA. Now I will almost refuse to drive without it. Seeing people rip out A/Cs from 240s BECAUSE RACECAR only to sell the shell 6 months later because they lost interest resulting in a car that'll be THAT MUCH MORE of a pain in the ass to make nice again chaps my butt a little.

Truth........i feel the exact same way. If i could go back....id keep ac on my drift/stance/dailyish/fanboi build....but like a fool 10yrs ago i want racecar and threw it all away and cut wires out...smh

jedi03
11-01-2019, 09:14 AM
lol I was just thinking about this Tuesday...its 2 degrees warmer than my office...windows down or ac on? ac for sure...all my 240s I remember sweating it out and thinking just the same...man how much power would I have lost keeping my ac in here! lol!

spooled240
11-01-2019, 10:15 AM
That's why I have a track car and am working on a street car. A double-duty car is too compromised.

Unless you're planning on winning the 24hr Lemans you can totally track a daily driver and still be competitive. A quick-spooling 300whp SR/KA-T, springs/dampers, r33 wheels, r33 brakes, r33 seats and a roll bar with full interior is all you really need.

Very true. I was a young idiot, but I had enough sense to keep the A/C intact. I did grow up in the desert, though lol

feito
11-04-2019, 09:03 PM
man did this thread grow! I think last thing I commented about in here was the Fast and the Furious, and that was over 20 pages ago:Owned:

Anyway, as I was looking through car videos on YT, I came across this video which apparently is new(ish). Though it was pretty interesting and I though I'd share with you. Sorry for my video embedding noob skills :duh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZorac5a-U

dizzariot
11-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Surprised there's no SEMA talk in here. I mean I know the bar is low, but from what I've seen it's pretty much true to predictions. New Supras with wide-bodies and shitty wings. That shitty Polestar that the Kyza guy dreamed up is also hypebeast fucking garbage and is essentially a monument to all ricebox sins. Guys like him and the Supras at SEMA are why the term 'ricer' will never die.

spooled240
11-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Surely social media has provided a platform of quantifying attention and cranked up all incentives to out-do one another (sometimes by what appears to be any means necessary), but is it really different than how the import scene used to be in the late 90's and early 2000's? Big wings, underglow, predator-esque front bumpers, etc. There seemed to be no limit to the ridiculousness that was built back then:
http://assets.superstreetonline.com/f/9987892.jpg?width=&height=

The ricer mods now have simply changed to bolt on flares the size of your front door and spoilers built with scaffolding

man did this thread grow! I think last thing I commented about in here was the Fast and the Furious, and that was over 20 pages ago:Owned:

Anyway, as I was looking through car videos on YT, I came across this video which apparently is new(ish). Though it was pretty interesting and I though I'd share with you. Sorry for my video embedding noob skills :duh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZorac5a-U

I can't imagine how much R34's will be when they are eligible for import into the US. If I can get a gig in Japan next year I definitely want to get one before they explode in value..I know they are already pretty expensive over there.

merlz
11-07-2019, 01:03 PM
I can't imagine how much R34's will be when they are eligible for import into the US. If I can get a gig in Japan next year I definitely want to get one before they explode in value..I know they are already pretty expensive over there.

I think you're too late to the party unfortunately. Where i'm from in Australia, the prices have just sky rocketed over the past couple of years. You could get a decent R34 GT-R/V-Spec for close to $50k. Now there is no such thing as a BNR34 for under $80k no matter the condition. Everyone here that own's them has seen the chaos that came from the R32 when it came of age so, all the owners are holding onto them for good prices. R33 will be pretty much the same story just not as bad.

spooled240
11-07-2019, 02:21 PM
I think you're too late to the party unfortunately. Where i'm from in Australia, the prices have just sky rocketed over the past couple of years. You could get a decent R34 GT-R/V-Spec for close to $50k. Now there is no such thing as a BNR34 for under $80k no matter the condition. Everyone here that own's them has seen the chaos that came from the R32 when it came of age so, all the owners are holding onto them for good prices. R33 will be pretty much the same story just not as bad.

Jeez, you're right. That's 997.1 TT territory wtf...

dizzariot
11-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Here's a new one: as if Sammit wasn't cringey enough, Okamura-san now has AdamLZ over at the shop. Fuck me man, nothing is sacred.

I know you twats are gonna say Okamura-san has to make money. I get it. It still fucking sucks though.

BryanSayWhat
11-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Here's a new one: as if Sammit wasn't cringey enough, Okamura-san now has AdamLZ over at the shop. Fuck me man, nothing is sacred.

I know you twats are gonna say Okamura-san has to make money. I get it. It still fucking sucks though. The aluminum coffee cans on top of the "borrowed" car was ultra cringe... I'd flip out if someone did that to me.

ZenkiKid
11-15-2019, 09:35 AM

I know you twats are gonna say Okamura-san has to make money. I get it. It still fucking sucks though.

is Sammit a yashio factory employee? Im confused. All i know is that Okamura-san helps this dude a ton.

his recent series of videos make it seem like AdamLZ used him for his car and his connect with Okamura-san

So were putting k24s in S chassis now?

TheBlackHand
11-15-2019, 02:26 PM
is Sammit a yashio factory employee? Im confused. All i know is that Okamura-san helps this dude a ton.

his recent series of videos make it seem like AdamLZ used him for his car and his connect with Okamura-san

So were putting k24s in S chassis now?

I don't believe Sammit is an official employee at Yashio Factory. He just hangs out and works on his car there and I'm guessing Okachan lets him because it's free marketing and brings attention to his business from foreigners.

merlz
11-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Yeah i'm not watching anymore. It's getting ridiculously fucking cringe. Shit product placement like he's not trying to advertise future 'flight tag' key chains like every other fucking company. Like fuck off! I get it, you're trying to make money "respect the hustle" bla bla bla but fuck me.

Also the ads within the video are a automatic skip for me.

spooled240
11-18-2019, 10:39 AM
where is the video of this fuckery? In the mood to feel cringey

dizzariot
11-19-2019, 02:15 AM
Hello. I'm happy y'all are still as bitter as me. I am living proof you can live a happy life and still disapprove of bullshit car trends on the internet.

Krusty_s13
11-19-2019, 07:59 AM
I'm glad I am not the only one cringing at the "new wave". Lets bring back the well written blogs and informative forum posts plz.

ingmar F
11-20-2019, 06:41 AM
I'm glad I am not the only one cringing at the "new wave". Lets bring back the well written blogs and informative forum posts plz.

Amen! i miss those days..

crash n' burn
11-20-2019, 08:00 AM

You have to first blow their minds that people still use forums. 9 times out of 10, when I say shit can be found on zilvia..I get the answer "Forums are dead", or "the pictures don't work"

It's like no one knows how to fucking read.. Apparently they'd rather just be clowns on FB. Don't get me wrong, I legit just shit-post on those groups since there is zero contributions happening.

tuzzio
11-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Build threads and forums > youtube.

Youtube is a great tool, I'll never take that away. But 11 out of 10 car "vlogs" ( I hate that word) are no more than people doing stuff to get likes. Almost none of them build anything actually cool / unique. Its amazing some of the fab guys on youtube don't get more recognition.

Krusty_s13
11-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Youtube is a great tool, I'll never take that away. But 11 out of 10 car "vlogs" ( I hate that word) are no more than people doing stuff to get likes. Almost none of them build anything actually cool / unique. Its amazing some of the fab guys on youtube don't get more recognition.

Those channels are the only ones that are worth a damn. Id rather learn how to melt some steel then hear why your boost leak is the "reason" why your driving sucks.

Krusty_s13
11-20-2019, 08:12 AM
You have to first blow their minds that people still use forums. 9 times out of 10, when I say shit can be found on zilvia..I get the answer "Forums are dead", or "the pictures don't work"

It's like no one knows how to fucking read.. Apparently they'd rather just be clowns on FB. Don't get me wrong, I legit just shit-post on those groups since there is zero contributions happening.

No one is formulating their own opinions now a days. They want to be spoon fed and just follow the trend. Whatever the YT celebrity says is good, is the part I am going to run on my car.

WTB one way ticket to mars plz.

crash n' burn
11-20-2019, 09:53 AM
No one is formulating their own opinions now a days. They want to be spoon fed and just follow the trend. Whatever the YT celebrity says is good, is the part I am going to run on my car.

Love Jimmy O and everything..but now it's some miraculous concept that people should actually spend money on replacement OE parts so their shit boxes aren't such shit boxes instead of throwing knock off parts and other random dumb shit at them first.

Then all these NOS parts start flying off the shelf. Love/Hate it because I was eyeballin' a set of those new dual projectors....well shit.

tuzzio, you get that GREX shifter pattern alright?

deolio
11-20-2019, 12:15 PM
project binky is hands down the best build "vlog" on youtube. if you haven't seen it, check it out. makes me want to build templates for shit and use a grinder for no reason every time i watch lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s&list=PLGSOZAHg1yQEatqhWza_ae83e313-GLTO&index=3

ZenkiKid
11-20-2019, 02:40 PM
I personally love watching YoungStatic and Garage built hondas. Both accounts revolve around building fast cars on budget parts.

merlz
11-20-2019, 05:29 PM
project binky is hands down the best build "vlog" on youtube. if you haven't seen it, check it out. makes me want to build templates for shit and use a grinder for no reason every time i watch lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s&list=PLGSOZAHg1yQEatqhWza_ae83e313-GLTO&index=3

I fucking hate tea. But i'd drink it with those blokes. Love watching how over engineered that car is haha

PoorMans180SX
11-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Fuck yeah, I’m glad this thread is still on track! I agree with all these sentiments mates, cheers!

P.S. the Driftworks dudes do some cool stuff now and then.

tuzzio
11-21-2019, 08:08 AM
tuzzio, you get that GREX shifter pattern alright?

yessir. thanks again. Wouldnt mind a spare if you have anymore sitting around. You know how to get ahold of me.

gbaby2089
11-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Yeah i'm not watching anymore. It's getting ridiculously fucking cringe. Shit product placement like he's not trying to advertise future 'flight tag' key chains like every other fucking company. Like fuck off! I get it, you're trying to make money "respect the hustle" bla bla bla but fuck me.

Also the ads within the video are a automatic skip for me.

Car YouTubers have always been cringy breh.

Adam LZ & Hert at Final Bout constantly surrounded by 17 year old chuds & weebs, super wack.

Hello. I'm happy y'all are still as bitter as me. I am living proof you can live a happy life and still disapprove of bullshit car trends on the internet.

Same.

Taking & uploading pictures AND writing stuff to go with that? That's too hard dude.

That's life in 2019 friendo. Look at how many people just do things for IG likes.

Project Binky is great. 99% of other car stuff on YT is trash.

dizzariot
11-26-2019, 04:13 PM
People are neg-repping me for bitching in the thread designed for bitching.

Look up, there goes the point...aaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

LOL.

deolio
11-26-2019, 05:59 PM
People are neg-repping me for bitching in the thread designed for bitching.

Look up, there goes the point...aaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

LOL.

or are they out-grumpy-ing you :keke:

dizzariot
11-26-2019, 06:23 PM
or are they out-grumpy-ing you :keke:

OOOOOO THAT WOULD BE YHE FUCKING DAY! lol

It was on the post where I lightly bashed Okamura.

I’ll take it a step further: the new aero is whack. Neg rep me for an opinion, very soft of whoever is neg-repping posts here.

Krusty_s13
11-26-2019, 06:48 PM
OOOOOO THAT WOULD BE YHE FUCKING DAY! lol

It was on the post where I lightly bashed Okamura.

I’ll take it a step further: the new aero is whack. Neg rep me for an opinion, very soft of whoever is neg-repping posts here.

I’m not a fan either. Meh.
Inb4 someone comes in and tells us something about an opinion and an asshole.

BryanSayWhat
11-26-2019, 07:18 PM
I’ll take it a step further: the new aero is whack. Neg rep me for an opinion, very soft of whoever is neg-repping posts here.Might as well be Rocket Bunny V3 (yes, I looked up the current version count :wtc:).

deolio
11-26-2019, 07:49 PM
seems like these days most aero coming out is garbage besides varis, voltex, and artisan spirits.

deolio
11-28-2019, 05:32 PM
happy thanksgiving you old dirty grumpy sons of bitches i’m grateful for the hate i have for every single one of you. never stop being dickheads <3

dizzariot
11-28-2019, 07:52 PM
happy thanksgiving you old dirty grumpy sons of bitches i’m grateful for the hate i have for every single one of you. never stop being dickheads <3

Same here. I'm thankful that you guys aren't soft as cotton and can have a heated debate without neg-repping and reporting posts.

mrmephistopheles
12-01-2019, 07:55 AM
same here. I'm thankful that you guys aren't soft as cotton and can have a heated debate without neg-repping and reporting posts.

*post reported, neg rep applied*

dizzariot
12-01-2019, 02:48 PM
*post reported, neg rep applied*

You crazy bastard. Called my bluff.

Japan keeps coming out with cool car models we don't get in the US. I periodically check what's released back home and it isn't much...

merlz
12-01-2019, 03:46 PM
You crazy bastard

Called him crazy and a bastard, when you don't know his life story. I'm offended.

I'm angry at all these wanker facebook pages coming out of the woodwork posting old blurry 90's photo's like they're fucking cool. You scanned a photo from a magazine and threw your watermark on it.
Then throw shit captions on everything with weird font's and spacing like "R P S 1 3". We get it. You're fucking edgy!!

ixfxi
12-02-2019, 09:57 PM
three things I would like to note:

1) The 2019 LA auto show sucked major dick. New vette looks weird. Supra looks equally weird and disproportionate. NISSAN is asleep at the wheel, no new Z or GTR. Longest. Production. Run. Ever.

2) Many years ago, NightKids ran from the police. This created an epic thread here.

3) Drift Girl

carry on...

Tearlessj
12-03-2019, 12:52 AM
Had someone hit me up for some parts. I send photos, get a shipping quote, $30 shipped. Says he's waiting for some checks to clear to pay me. Like man I get it, but jesus, if you're waiting for a check to clear to pay $30 for some 240 parts maybe you shouldn't be into 240's. Maybe I'm not being thoughtful enough, I don't know.

dorkidori_s13
12-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Like man I get it, but jesus, if you're waiting for a check to clear to pay $30 for some 240 parts maybe you shouldn't be into 240's.

agreed! ive heard this a lot over the last few years (especially in the Protege scene). its like if you cant afford $40 for a replacement part, especially used, you PROBABLY shouldnt be building cars...

jedi03
12-03-2019, 01:37 PM
well grass is always greener on the other side and 240s being built these days turn into gold when complete! lol I think its because racecar mentality and young people being young...

duballstar37
12-03-2019, 01:49 PM
well grass is always greener on the other side and 240s being built these days turn into gold when complete! lol I think its because racecar mentality and young people being young...

Priorities are for old grumpy assholes!

dorkidori_s13
12-03-2019, 02:20 PM

they turn into gold huh? if by gold you mean a complete loss on investment as it will COST you $25,000+ to build something proper, clean and right that youll see MAYBE a return of $12,00-$15,000 on... so can you explain this "gold" logic of yours?

dizzariot
12-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Here we go again.

What’s ‘proper’...because restoring a car to OEM spec is pretty fucking ‘proper’ to me and doesn’t cost $25k.

I still haven’t lost money on an SChassis.

Croustibat
12-04-2019, 06:00 AM
Here we go again.

What’s ‘proper’...because restoring a car to OEM spec is pretty fucking ‘proper’ to me and doesn’t cost $25k.

I still haven’t lost money on an SChassis.

"Proper build" != "restoring to OEM spec" != "patching holes with fiberglass and vynil wrap to hide rust"

I may have spent around 10k on chassis interior and suspension work over the years.
Engine and transmission are currently being built, and clearly not going over that 25k mark is a long forgotten dream ... The money is mostly parts at a discount. Initial car price is not included either ...

No matter how fast or refined it is, it cannot sell for more than 10K.

The only way not to lose money on an S chassis is not to part from it. As long as the car is not gone, money is not lost i guess...

TheRealSy90
12-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Idk how it's even possible to restore an S13 nowadays when so much stuff is discontinued and not available.

Ichi-Go
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Idk how it's even possible to restore an S13 nowadays when so much stuff is discontinued and not available.

It is getting to be a real restoration at this point.

People are sourcing clips and weatherstrips from Japan, paying finders fees, shipping, etc. I'm debating if I should be focusing my money on retainer clips instead of paint since the retainer clips may never be available again. Body shops will always be around.

Even the old muscle car restorations have reproduction factory parts at this point. The plastic pieces and electric clips on modern cars are the worst part of "preserving" or "restoring" car. Keeping the car rust free is one thing (easy to say in Florida) but unless the car has lived in a garage the first time you pull the dash AC vent it is coming out in 10 pieces.

2005 G35 already has a cracked dash. Should I buy one and keep it in a closet until 2025?

collegekid
12-04-2019, 10:32 AM
It is getting to be a real restoration at this point.

Agreed. There is demand for a lot of needed pieces but it seems to not be worthwhile financially for any major supplier to make it. See "S13 metal fender reproduction" thread or whatever it is called.

I used to work in the auto industry and my company went past the point of gauging interest on certain parts and moved forward with production on a few handful of pieces before they were even available to the public. Then they company was sold to an investment group who wanted to focus on the bread and butter of the business instead of letting people get too deep on the side stuff regardless of the profit margins.

I was part of the product development team but I got the hell out of there soon after the company sold.

Still kicking the idea around of getting into parts reproductions but the finances don't work out.

ixfxi
12-05-2019, 04:23 AM
I may have spent around 10k on chassis interior and suspension work over the years.
Engine and transmission are currently being built, and clearly not going over that 25k mark is a long forgotten dream ... The money is mostly parts at a discount. Initial car price is not included either ...

The only way not to lose money on an S chassis is not to part from it. As long as the car is not gone, money is not lost i guess...

I have a lot more money tied into my cars (i own multiple) and can tell you that unless I need to sell, I'm not selling. Its as simple as that. We like certain types of cars and thats the reason we are stupid and throw money at these old relics. New cars are great but I always say, new cars have new car problems. Old cars have old car problems.

For the most part, this can be a problem. However, its still possible to do relatively basic restoration by crossing over parts with other vehicles. It would be nice if everything was still available, though...

jedi03
12-05-2019, 08:01 AM
used to do restoration on packards and Studebakers with my dad...some of the stuff is outright gouging for prices regardless of labor or parts...its a lot of work between talking to people, travelling the country to source parts then actually doing work to make them pass our inspection (dad was OCD on perfection for these, made for a VERY nice car when done) so for s13s to some it may be worth it...to others not so much. I did find it amusing to hear that a lot of the older JDM cars were now being sold/collected by those that grew up with them and they are also paying an arm and leg for vehicles from way back when...if you have the money then do what you want with it!

spooled240
12-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Just buy a mint one for $20k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-nissan-240sx-9/

dizzariot
12-05-2019, 06:54 PM
That's fucking lame^^^

My car looks exactly the same, but with 92,XXX miles. Garage kept, all invoices from the dealership. I can literally flip through the service booklet and watch the Nissan Logo change in the top right corner throughout the years. It's not 26,XXX miles, but I guess I can ask about $12k for it now.

Anyways, sorry to plug my car yet again. It still just amazes me sometimes what people ask, and sometimes get, for these cars.

Anyways, here's another one:

Would you buy an NSX/R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...or get an S14 (to complete the 'Silvia set') and POSSIBLY a 2nd S15.

I think this is an old grumpy asshole question because I REALLY think sticking to the SChassis isn't a bad idea. I'm stuck in my ways and I know it...but the parts interchangeability and the lower costs to maintain overall keep me in my safe space.

silviamang
12-05-2019, 09:08 PM
That's fucking lame^^^

Would you buy an R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...and be cool like my boi

Yes.

msglength

Tempo
12-05-2019, 09:26 PM
That's fucking lame^^^

My car looks exactly the same, but with 92,XXX miles. Garage kept, all invoices from the dealership. I can literally flip through the service booklet and watch the Nissan Logo change in the top right corner throughout the years. It's not 26,XXX miles, but I guess I can ask about $12k for it now.

Anyways, sorry to plug my car yet again. It still just amazes me sometimes what people ask, and sometimes get, for these cars.

Anyways, here's another one:

Would you buy an NSX/R34 and inherit all of the maintenance costs associated with either...or get an S14 (to complete the 'Silvia set') and POSSIBLY a 2nd S15.

I think this is an old grumpy asshole question because I REALLY think sticking to the SChassis isn't a bad idea. I'm stuck in my ways and I know it...but the parts interchangeability and the lower costs to maintain overall keep me in my safe space.

I constantly debate this idea in my head with X car vs. sticking with the s chassis family with the idea of a second build/collector for that reason of lower cost to maintain. I guess it comes down to how you are as an owner. Some people are content leaving things as is and preserving the car the way it is at purchase and some really want to source some of the rare oem or aftermarket parts which will slowly become a decade long headache..

With all that being said, Id personally go with the NSX/R34 lol

spooled240
12-05-2019, 09:37 PM
This is a sensitive subject for me because I've considered myself a fanatic of the s-chassis for the longest time and I think I finally have come to terms with the limits of the chassis...and my time/money.

First off, the cars were never designed to be high performance vehicles and it takes money and time to get them to that level. Second, the cars were built with cheap materials. Add some age and you have a car that squeaks, rattles and doesn't have much engineering to justify the amount of sanity you are losing driving in it everyday. Sure, everything can be done to it to make it awesome, but I am at the point that I would rather just buy something that is more purpose built. We all know how much it is to build a car and it's easily twice the amount of what you can sell it for. So instead of dumping $40k into an old secretary car, I would rather buy a Porsche Carrera S and keep my knuckles clean.

/end old grumpy [snobby] asshole

deolio
12-05-2019, 09:52 PM
i just dread the day i sell all my shit trying to "be an adult" and then attempt to buy it all back in 5 years after having a severe existential crisis and then realize i'm too fuckin poor to pay 15k for a rattle canned hatch shell filled with rat shit.

Krusty_s13
12-06-2019, 06:59 AM
i just dread the day i sell all my shit trying to "be an adult" and then attempt to buy it all back in 5 years after having a severe existential crisis and then realize i'm too fuckin poor to pay 15k for a rattle canned hatch shell filled with rat shit.

This is why we need to hold onto them and not throw them away in an attempt to "grow up". I believe I've come to the realization that I will probably own an s chassis for quite some time, and I am ok with that...... i think. :ugh:

S14rebuild
12-07-2019, 12:18 PM

I had that exact realization about 5 years ago with my s14...wanted to sell it, it sat for 3-4 yrs prior to that. I even went to the point of new battery, new tires and had a buyer lined up. Took it for its "last drive" and said fuk it couldnt sell. Left it sit for a another few yrs till $ was good and now the past 6 months beennin a process of a complete rebuild/overhaul. Couldnt be happier. Ill never sell it, the amount of $ ive spent and hrs worked on it. And id never see shit back in return. Im acually looking foward to enjoyingbthe car again

deolio
12-07-2019, 01:43 PM
^that's the stuff i like to hear.

one of my friends wend mia for nearly a decade but never sold any of his s chassis stuff and just got back into it. said he's super glad he held onto everything haha

This is why we need to hold onto them and not throw them away in an attempt to "grow up". I believe I've come to the realization that I will probably own an s chassis for quite some time, and I am ok with that...... i think. :ugh:

lol "i think"

i just added up how much i've spent on shop rent over the last 6 years. you can bet your ass i won't be getting rid of my s13's and part stash for anything less than 40k :bowrofl:

Krusty_s13
12-07-2019, 04:43 PM
i just added up how much i've spent on shop rent over the last 6 years. you can bet your ass i won't be getting rid of my s13's and part stash for anything less than 40k :bowrofl:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/044/032/heart-attack.jpg

I haven't had to deal with shop rent, Yet. Currently trying to get into a home with a 2 car garage so that I can tear the bucket down and spend another $10k on it. :hs:

deolio
12-07-2019, 06:27 PM
I haven't had to deal with shop rent, Yet. Currently trying to get into a home with a 2 car garage so that I can tear the bucket down and spend another $10k on it. :hs:

mannnnn i've been house hunting for damn near 8 months. not SHIT. might as well be hunting for reasonably priced ganadors or bricks :tardrim:

ixfxi
12-08-2019, 04:45 AM
Just buy a mint one for $20k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-nissan-240sx-9/

26 thousand miles in 27 years

i really dont understand people. to buy something, keep it relatively stock and unused, only to one day resell it at top dollar

anyone here going to buy a BRZ and do that? not me. lifes worth living and enjoying, not cryogenic freezing your possessions

anti tyler
12-08-2019, 08:33 AM

i really dont understand people. to buy something, keep it relatively stock and unused, only to one day resell it at top dollar

anyone here going to buy a BRZ and do that? not me. lifes worth living and enjoying, not cryogenic freezing your possessions

i would agree with just about any other car (figuratively) however i can't say i would pass up something similar to this, if i had the funds of course.

i'm constantly having regrets about not keeping at least one s13.

bing
12-08-2019, 12:31 PM
saw thread title.... is this for me?

[240sx]
12-08-2019, 02:18 PM
2001??? *insertFridayDAAAMMNreaction.meme*

s14ka-t
12-08-2019, 03:14 PM
dang its bing I still have your exhaust somewhere haha

dizzariot
12-08-2019, 07:45 PM

This is the biggest problem. Not calling anyone out (in here) but most people have that trendy/fuccboi style and think that they have to sell the car they've applied it to in order to escape it. Why not just let your 'style' mature? Most people just end up getting a BMW and applying the fuccboi logic to it. They don't know that they still look like a fucking moron even if their car is newer and 'more adult'.

I guess it depends on what you're into.

gbaby2089
12-09-2019, 10:01 AM
This is the biggest problem. Not calling anyone out (in here) but most people have that trendy/fuccboi style and think that they have to sell the car they've applied it to in order to escape it. Why not just let your 'style' mature? Most people just end up getting a BMW and applying the fuccboi logic to it. They don't know that they still look like a fucking moron even if their car is newer and 'more adult'.

Alternatively, just embrace that your automotive sensibilities don't have to 'mature.'

When I was younger I liked dumb, low cars with aero. As an established adult, that's still what I like. Now I just execute things a bit more cleanly.

S14rebuild
12-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Agreed...younger i was more in a rush...slap the car together, cut coners just to have a "complete" car, then come on here and bitch about it not running right, or poor fitment. With age comes wisdom..and more $. Buy all quality parts, take the time to fit parts right and truly build a quality car, then u can full enjoy it and not have the bullshit issuses. Im speaking on my time in the car scene atleast

dizzariot
12-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Alternatively, just embrace that your automotive sensibilities don't have to 'mature.'

When I was younger I liked dumb, low cars with aero. As an established adult, that's still what I like. Now I just execute things a bit more cleanly.

Ah yeah that's true. I think I spoke negatively on 'style' as a dumb reason to wholesale sell your car, if that makes sense. I'm all for maintaining your style as time progresses, but when people say they're 'getting out' because it's immature most of the time it's the style choice.

jedi03
12-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Rofl i added up how much i spent on cars over the last 15 years and saw I could have paid cash for my house had I not built/sold them!

TollieLifted
12-10-2019, 11:33 AM
I did the whole, "i need a more adult car thing" back in 2011 or so.

Sold my stock (except suspension mods and wheels), 1 owner, old man owned, 75k miles coupe and bought an Audi S4. :smash: I regret that on a very regular basis. A year or so later I bought a "race car" S14 to fill that void and it just wasn't the same.

If I had to guess I would say the S13 is prolly a clapped out drift car now based on the kid I sold it to.

Krusty_s13
12-10-2019, 11:56 AM
If I had to guess I would say the S13 is prolly a clapped out drift car now based on the kid I sold it to.

That is the typical scenario.

collegekid
12-10-2019, 01:35 PM
I did the whole, "i need a more adult car thing" ...

Sold my car and bought an adult car. I regret that on a very regular basis. A year or so later I bought another car and it just wasn't the same.

I hear this quite often, from people who used to own classic cars that are worth a lot of money or just cars that they are really attached to.

TollieLifted
12-10-2019, 02:15 PM
I hear this quite often, from people who used to own classic cars that are worth a lot of money or just cars that they are really attached to.

Right. To buy the "same" car would now cost anywhere from 2-3x as much, or more, depending on what it is.

mrmephistopheles
12-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Welcome to my reality.

;6365397']2001??? *insertFridayDAAAMMNreaction.meme*

Lifers, man. I came here after FreshAlloy got stupid.

Kingtal0n
12-11-2019, 12:19 PM
This is a sensitive subject for me because I've considered myself a fanatic of the s-chassis for the longest time and I think I finally have come to terms with the limits of the chassis...and my time/money.

First off, the cars were never designed to be high performance vehicles and it takes money and time to get them to that level. Second, the cars were built with cheap materials. Add some age and you have a car that squeaks, rattles and doesn't have much engineering to justify the amount of sanity you are losing driving in it everyday. Sure, everything can be done to it to make it awesome, but I am at the point that I would rather just buy something that is more purpose built. We all know how much it is to build a car and it's easily twice the amount of what you can sell it for. So instead of dumping $40k into an old secretary car, I would rather buy a Porsche Carrera S and keep my knuckles clean.

/end old grumpy [snobby] asshole

I recently picked up a 14 with everything wrong. It cost less than 1k to re-do the entire suspension using factory parts and make it 'rattle' free, smooth daily driver.

I think it's easier than you realize to just drive quiet, stock suspension 14, with any amount of power. I put 500 to the tire or more and it does just fine in a straight line, as a daily, over railroad tracks and everything else is normal. Actually it does better than cars made for that (i.e. Camaro of the 90's)

I think the real issue is that people want their 14's to handle, and look different, not just be fast.
The handling/exterior game seems like it costs way more than straight line 'mods'.
I've never had an issue with using the 14 as a sort of daily/drag type car, with basically nothing done or expensive in the suspension or exterior.

My exterior mods tend to be 'free' i.e. acrylic paint from walmart
https://i.postimg.cc/1XssWxvm/IMG-3110.jpg
its 'stock'
https://i.postimg.cc/bNCzcvts/IMG-2227.jpg
its quiet and docile, easy to drive, boring ;D

dorkidori_s13
12-11-2019, 12:46 PM
a rattle free and quiet ride can even be had with coilovers and full heim jointed suspension. i replaced the majority of my weather stripping and worn out rubber bits like hood/hatch bumpers. my car is completely silent driving now...its kind of nuts! the BULK of the rattles and noise came from the hatch area. once i replaced the hatch seal and the hatch bumpers, the entire rear end was silenced. the hood bumpers got rid of a ton of noise in the front as well. only things i have left to do are the inner sun roof rubber (i replaced the sun roof glass trim not too long ago) and the inner rubber door seals (oh and the door glass trim).

whole point is... its amazing how quiet these cars get when you start replacing all the worn out rubber!!! stock or fully built suspension, replacing all the worn out rubber bits makes an insane difference... and i LOVE how quite my S13 hatch is now! doesnt sound like some old, worn out, shit box when driving around! can have a conversion in the car with NO road noise and no exhaust drone (I have an HKS Sports Exhaust)

spooled240
12-11-2019, 10:07 PM
how much of that shit is still available, though? My s14 needs a bunch of that, but the last time I checked a lot of it was discontinued/hard to find.

I think the real issue is that people want their 14's to handle, and look different, not just be fast.
The handling/exterior game seems like it costs way more than straight line 'mods'.

It all depends, but I'd say engine and drivetrain upgrades are typically more expensive than suspension and bodywork. You might be right considering s14 kouki valances are now approaching or close to a grand lmao

I got this thing a little over a year ago and I've been pretty stoked with doing a minor build on it. So far it's just a stock '03 5MT with BC coils w/ Swift springs, Buddy Club 18x8 wheels, IS350 front brakes and a TRD front bumper. With sway bars, TRD side skirts and a 1JZGTE VVTi this would make a very fun daily. Toyota > Nissan CHANGE MY MIND
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49194082358_17e7257cdb.jpg

Kingtal0n
12-11-2019, 10:24 PM
how much of that shit is still available, though? My s14 needs a bunch of that, but the last time I checked a lot of it was discontinued/hard to find.

It all depends, but I'd say engine and drivetrain upgrades are typically more expensive than suspension and bodywork. You might be right considering s14 kouki valances are now approaching or close to a grand lmao

I got this thing a little over a year ago and I've been pretty stoked with doing a minor build on it. So far it's just a stock '03 5MT with BC coils w/ Swift springs, Buddy Club 18x8 wheels, IS350 front brakes and a TRD front bumper. With sway bars, TRD side skirts and a 1JZGTE VVTi this would make a very fun daily. Toyota > Nissan CHANGE MY MIND

engine/drivetrain upg are more expensive if you do not have experience. For example my experience allows me to use any engine thus I used a free engine. The street value of the engine in my vehicle is maybe $300 but it supports over 500hp so the issue here is not the cost of the engine at all, as per performance. For a novice I understand this is quite a different situation nevertheless, I would tentatively argue that the more experience you have with 'building' or 'working on' something (i.e. houses, cars, boats, etc...) the easier and 'less expensive' the modifications become, both in terms of time and $$

a great mechanic has 25 year old junker that starts easy, doesn't leak or smoke, and can move out of it's own way better than a new car, and the drivetrain is essentially worthless (nothing to steal, junkyard junk)

az_240
12-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Story of my life:naw:

dizzariot
12-18-2019, 03:06 PM
...well we still have people defending shitty sellers. So that's a thing.

afishysilvia
12-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Isn’t that everyone on the internet?

anti tyler
12-18-2019, 04:56 PM
some of the worst regrets. getting rid of multiple chassis when I "really" didn't "need" to.

jedi03
12-19-2019, 07:45 AM
+1 on that...I think that's why a lot of these early Japanese manufactured cars or any old car for that matter can be sold for ridiculous prices for those older folks who saw the car they wanted and miss it from their childhood

CamryOnBronze
12-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Sorry Dario

dizzariot
12-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Sorry Dario

...actually this was referring to the R33 for sale right now lol. The people there were 100% trying to stick up for a seller (with questionable history here) without doing any research into what the NA R33 is worth. I miss the application of critical thinking skills in threads like that.

Maybe critical thinking is another grumpy old asshole thing I don't see used a lot. Does anyone bother price comparing anymore...? It's not hard to see what these guys are doing when they import Silvias and shit like that.

S14rebuild
12-22-2019, 07:26 AM
...actually this was referring to the R33 for sale right now lol. The people there were 100% trying to stick up for a seller (with questionable history here) without doing any research into what the NA R33 is worth. I miss the application of critical thinking skills in threads like that.

Maybe critical thinking is another grumpy old asshole thing I don't see used a lot. Does anyone bother price comparing anymore...? It's not hard to see what these guys are doing when they import Silvias and shit like that.

Thatd be me u so speak of?

dizzariot
12-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Thatd be me u so speak of?

100%.

You gotta do some research. That car is probably a trim known as 'Urban Runner' and it was the lower end trims. The guy you're backing up knows what he's doing and that's why he hasn't been back in that thread. It's a common tactic: dismiss anyone that disagrees with price as a 'hater'. On the contrary, I care about the people in this community and shitty sellers trying to take advantage of people not knowing the prices of cars, Japanese trim levels, or how auctions in Japan work is super shitty and I'll openly call them out for it.

We all think 'minding our own business' is the best route...but this forum is still a cool place and we don't need some fucking vultures picking at the bones of it.

SupaDoopa
12-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Still a cool place? Nah. This place was cool back in the early 2000's when the chassis was still plentiful and people were all enjoying the sport together. Now it's 'who can build a ProAm group C car with a cooler livery than the other person' type of place. Everyone thinks their dick is bigger than the next kid because their livery looks cooler while they can't link turns with their over engineered cars.

Drifting used to be chill - now you have to drive a crazy distance [for most] to find what's left of that group and even that's on life support.

S14rebuild
12-23-2019, 08:14 AM
100%.

You gotta do some research. That car is probably a trim known as 'Urban Runner' and it was the lower end trims. The guy you're backing up knows what he's doing and that's why he hasn't been back in that thread. It's a common tactic: dismiss anyone that disagrees with price as a 'hater'. On the contrary, I care about the people in this community and shitty sellers trying to take advantage of people not knowing the prices of cars, Japanese trim levels, or how auctions in Japan work is super shitty and I'll openly call them out for it.

We all think 'minding our own business' is the best route...but this forum is still a cool place and we don't need some fucking vultures picking at the bones of it.

I was only speaking towards the price tag reguarding the skyline name. That was all. To this day, i still havent seen in America $5k skylines(granted i dont search much)

S14rebuild
12-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Still a cool place? Nah. This place was cool back in the early 2000's when the chassis was still plentiful and people were all enjoying the sport together. Now it's 'who can build a ProAm group C car with a cooler livery than the other person' type of place. Everyone thinks their dick is bigger than the next kid because their livery looks cooler while they can't link turns with their over engineered cars.

Drifting used to be chill - now you have to drive a crazy distance [for most] to find what's left of that group and even that's on life support.

QFT. Couldnt agree more. God forbid u own a 240 with out full angle kit and a 2j in it.

collegekid
12-23-2019, 08:49 AM
100%.

You gotta do some research. That car is probably a trim known as 'Urban Runner' ...

Still a cool place? Nah. This place was cool back in the early 2000's when the chassis was still plentiful and people were all enjoying the sport together. ...they can't link turns with their over engineered cars.

QFT. Couldnt agree more. God forbid u own a 240 with out full angle kit and a 2j in it.

Yeah I'm the dude who's gotta quote all of you.

Diz - I agree with what you're saying about the vultures, I recall you mentioned earlier (maybe in this thread) about how we have to band together and call them out in their for sale threads. Unfortunately that requires way more participation from other members besides the 5-10 people I've seen do it.

dupa - I think this may be the last American based forum for these cars that is still active, unless you can point out better ones (genuinely asking, not being a smartass). I was also advised by my fabricator to not overbuild my car and just focus on driving/seat time. Did I listen? NOPE

S14 - Yeah I feel you. People scoff at the Ka/Sr anymore. As if the 240sx is trash without a 900hp LS swap.

dorkidori_s13
12-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Still a cool place? Nah. This place was cool back in the early 2000's when the chassis was still plentiful and people were all enjoying the sport together. ...they can't link turns with their over engineered cars.

People scoff at the Ka/Sr anymore. As if the 240sx is trash without a 900hp LS swap.

this... so much this! <3 <3 <3

bing
12-23-2019, 03:05 PM
dang its bing I still have your exhaust somewhere haha

word up.

I check in on zilvia every month or so. been casually hunting for a car that fits the bill... my kids are almost old enough to drive afterall :)

dizzariot
12-23-2019, 04:46 PM

...but what is this 'have to have' or 'have to build' ? Are you competing to be noticed or do you just love your cars? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I always ask myself this question when I catch myself subconsciously comparing my shit to something I saw somewhere. I think people sometimes get this need to be 'relevant' thing and it either makes them do stupid shit or sell the cars for the next hype machine.

I'm just happy to own the cars I own at this point.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you here.

dizzariot
12-23-2019, 04:47 PM
I was only speaking towards the price tag reguarding the skyline name. That was all. To this day, i still havent seen in America $5k skylines(granted i dont search much)

...but dude this whole sentence reeks of ignorance. The name 'Skyline' when discussing cars from Japan doesn't mean shit. These cars didn't just come in GTR and one other trim, they came in tons and tons of trims. This is what I mean when I say you gotta do research (you don't, this is the internet, but you get it) before talking about this shit. NA, non-GTR Skyline cars ranging from R32 to R34 chassis go for dirt fucking cheap and are throw away cars. These sellers monopolize on the very thing you pointed out: the buzz of the name 'Skyline'. Arm yourself with knowledge, man.

Also, just because it's 'the only one in America' he can still sell a throw away car for a stupid fucking amount? If import some lower-level trim car and it's 1 of 1 in the US should I charge an insanely large amount for it? No. The car is still trash and I'd be a cunt.

1.) Diz - I agree with what you're saying about the vultures, I recall you mentioned earlier (maybe in this thread) about how we have to band together and call them out in their for sale threads. Unfortunately that requires way more participation from other members besides the 5-10 people I've seen do it.

2.) S14 - Yeah I feel you. People scoff at the Ka/Sr anymore. As if the 240sx is trash without a 900hp LS swap.

1.) It doesn't require participation so much as it requires people that don't know shit to simply not post and bolster these sellers' claims, but yeah I get what you mean.

2.) ...but the underlying question here is why the fuck do y'all care? Do YOU like your car with the KA/SR? I'll admit our community is overrun with turds but I'd hardly consider the TJ Hunt/Adam LZ dick-riders to be the top influencers.

S14rebuild
12-23-2019, 06:35 PM
...but dude this whole sentence reeks of ignorance. The name 'Skyline' when discussing cars from Japan doesn't mean shit. These cars didn't just come in GTR and one other trim, they came in tons and tons of trims. This is what I mean when I say you gotta do research (you don't, this is the internet, but you get it) before talking about this shit. NA, non-GTR Skyline cars ranging from R32 to R34 chassis go for dirt fucking cheap and are throw away cars. These sellers monopolize on the very thing you pointed out: the buzz of the name 'Skyline'. Arm yourself with knowledge, man.

Also, just because it's 'the only one in America' he can still sell a throw away car for a stupid fucking amount? If import some lower-level trim car and it's 1 of 1 in the US should I charge an insanely large amount for it? No. The car is still trash and I'd be a cunt.

1.) It doesn't require participation so much as it requires people that don't know shit to simply not post and bolster these sellers' claims, but yeah I get what you mean.

2.) ...but the underlying question here is why the fuck do y'all care? Do YOU like your car with the KA/SR? I'll admit our community is overrun with turds but I'd hardly consider the TJ Hunt/Adam LZ dick-riders to be the top influencers.

Your right there was ignorance behind the post, my bad. Yea the name skyline in america drives big buxs, but isee ur right its a blah ass car, low trim level the price shouldnt be like that.

But then a buyer should do his reasearch as stated and obvs not buy such a crazy priced car....anyone can have a price..id say its up to the buyer if there willn to pay it

Tearlessj
12-23-2019, 07:07 PM
I know you guys talk about the s chassis scene being shitty but have you guys visited the 350z pages? Talk about shit show.

I bought a G35 sedan to mess around with and was just in shock at how shitty their scene is.

S14rebuild
12-23-2019, 07:10 PM
I know you guys talk about the s chassis scene being shitty but have you guys visited the 350z pages? Talk about shit show.

I bought a G35 sedan to mess around with and was just in shock at how shitty their scene is.

Got a younger friend whos got a drift build 350z....just hearing his stories of the "scene" now a days, almost makes me regret buildn my s14 again and headn back out there lol.

deolio
12-23-2019, 10:44 PM
if you guys are still bitching about the same shit 64 pages later and haven’t done SHIT to make drifting better you’re part of the problem. there are a myriad of great events being put on these days with awesome people who care about cool cars and good driving. if you only choose to see it as dick swinging that’s on you. projecting you inadequacies and shit man....

Tempo
12-24-2019, 01:03 AM
It's all relative. " it " never lasts(in your mind). The " golden age " of whatever time you're in said hobby is just your biased perspective of it all. Some old heads idea of a nightmare community now is some 2 year old members sense of ideal and fun and their " golden age " until they decide it's not... Learn to accept change.

Also, this [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji1690]
if you guys are still bitching about the same shit 64 pages later and haven’t done SHIT to make drifting better you’re part of the problem. there are a myriad of great events being put on these days with awesome people who care about cool cars and good driving. if you only choose to see it as dick swinging that’s on you. projecting you inadequacies and shit man....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupaDoopa
12-24-2019, 07:00 AM
Making drifting better requires like-minded people and a lot of money. Luckily, they're keeping it going with a few smaller groups throughout the country - FinalBout, LoneStar, MWDU, Club Loose - but they're few and far between now. I remember last year going to a drift event to spectate while my car was down and people in the stands were literally shit talking the entry level cars. Those dudes were just there to have fun with their friends and slide around. It wasn't a car show on wheels like FinalBout or a feeder series like LoneStar. The scene - like all - has become toxic.

Example: come on here to sell something. Watch within 24 hours some cunt posts saying your prices are too high. This same cunt is a 2017'er+ that has been sliding for 3 hours but posts his shit on IG every hour on the hour.

The groups that are chill to be with stay low key. All the others are chasing fame or viewers or acceptance. It's tough to invest yourself these days into something where the people you're investing into aren't really worth it.

S14rebuild
12-24-2019, 07:21 AM
Thats this new generation...... they only copy whats presented to them on tv/fd. They have no idea what it takes toget there....never say tanner, millen, turek, forsberg, start off in basic s chassis with agx struts n welded diff. To them, if its not a fd equal car, u cant drift n ur car sux. Plus now theres social media everywhere, gives them more was to talk shit and hate

afishysilvia
12-24-2019, 07:55 AM
S14 - Yeah I feel you. People scoff at the LS all the time(Unless your Odi/Matt). As if the 240sx is trash with literally any thing done not to the Internets approval, completely despite the relevance of who's money and time was invested.

Fixed that...

Ichi-Go
12-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Thats this new generation...... they only copy whats presented to them on tv/fd. They have no idea what it takes toget there....never say tanner, millen, turek, forsberg, start off in basic s chassis with agx struts n welded diff. To them, if its not a fd equal car, u cant drift n ur car sux. Plus now theres social media everywhere, gives them more was to talk shit and hate

No angle kits, no hydro ebrake, no power, just going as hard as possible.

Everybody running 15 inch wheels, stock body, having a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN-JhpKYs

I just got a G35 Sedan too. I'm loving it so far. Crazy to think you can buy a 280hp, leather interior, good condition, rwd car for less than an S13.

I can't speak for the "scene".

[240sx]
12-24-2019, 11:34 AM

I just got a G35 Sedan too. I'm loving it so far. Crazy to think you can buy a 280hp, leather interior, good condition, rwd car for less than an S13.
Considering a G37 sedan 6spd as my next daily. Only reservation is real world MPGs being in the TEENS.
Also, P.sure my neighborhood already hate the VQ. F'n straight piped Z/G tard and their 6k shift points.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

spooled240
12-24-2019, 01:43 PM
You live in the high desert. All the houses are a quarter mile from each other lol

[240sx]
12-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Lol. There's not enough buildings/houses to muffle those VQ wails.

S14rebuild
12-24-2019, 07:54 PM
;6366976']Lol. There's not enough buildings/house muffly those VQ wails.

Oh god, ear piercing sounds

SupaDoopa
12-26-2019, 07:29 AM
People starting LS'ing the Z/G's because of the terrible VQ noises. I bought one two years old back in 2008 and put an exhaust on it. I had it for two years. That was it. I almost reconsider buying another one to play with at the track because of the dirt cheap pricing they are now but some piece of me will always remember those two years...

...those two horrible years...

Ichi-Go
12-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Oh god, ear piercing sounds

They sound better without straight pipes.

Corbic
12-27-2019, 08:35 AM
People starting LS'ing the Z/G's because of the terrible VQ noises. I bought one two years old back in 2008 and put an exhaust on it. I had it for two years. That was it. I almost reconsider buying another one to play with at the track because of the dirt cheap pricing they are now but some piece of me will always remember those two years...

...those two horrible years...I had a Z with a titanium single exit, can't remember the brand, J-something. It wasn't AAM.

Anyway, sounded great. Chewbacca roar and all. Car at least had character.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Corbic
12-27-2019, 09:34 AM

It's all relative. " it " never lasts(in your mind). The " golden age " of whatever time you're in said hobby is just your biased perspective of it all. Some old heads idea of a nightmare community now is some 2 year old members sense of ideal and fun and their " golden age " until they decide it's not... Learn to accept change.

Making drifting better requires like-minded people and a lot of money. Luckily, they're keeping it going with a few smaller groups throughout the country - FinalBout, LoneStar, MWDU, Club Loose - but they're few and far between now. I remember last year going to a drift event to spectate while my car was down and people in the stands were literally shit talking the entry level cars. Those dudes were just there to have fun with their friends and slide around. It wasn't a car show on wheels like FinalBout or a feeder series like LoneStar. The scene - like all - has become toxic.

Example: come on here to sell something. Watch within 24 hours some cunt posts saying your prices are too high. This same cunt is a 2017'er+ that has been sliding for 3 hours but posts his shit on IG every hour on the hour.

The groups that are chill to be with stay low key. All the others are chasing fame or viewers or acceptance. It's tough to invest yourself these days into something where the people you're investing into aren't really worth it.

A lot of truth in this. I think the golden age of drifting and Japanese Imports was when all these cars where common, affordable and in good condition. It was also before the internet and when "parts and information" from japan was limited and coveted. You had to find a specialty shop, play the yahoo.jp game or hope something popped up on old school eBay to find a Option magazine or region code free VCD of some drift action.

For me personally, it was a $2,800 FC3S that I had a muffler shop throw on a single exit. My "build" was new shifter bushings, rear bushing deletes and white tokikos. Drift Indy wasn't even a thing, it was just bombing around with friends on a weekend. Blowing out a dry rotted tire behind the abandoned Kmart before it was a Rural King and then hiking an hour to Walmart to get a new tire. Cell Phones where not exactly in vogue yet.

As dumb as Initial D is, it captured a lot of that perfectly. But just like the show, going off the rails, so to did reality.

Now its all rust rotted resto project cars and guys trying to build ProAm cars. You are better to buy a used 350z, 370z, Toybaru, Mustang or BMW these days. But then, a lot of what made those 90's cars so fun is just not in the new machines.

I'd gladly walk into a Nissan dealer and drop $23k on a BRAND NEW 180sx Type-X with warranty. Oh well.

https://www.torque-gt.co.uk/media/magefan_blog/2018/03/001.jpg

I also have to agree, worst shit I did to my car was aftermarket suspension. I thought I was being racer cool, solid subframe mounts, hard engine mounts, heim joint everything, poly bushings in every hole, angle mods. All that happened was the car felt and rode like shit.

ixfxi
12-27-2019, 12:04 PM
I also have to agree, worst shit I did to my car was aftermarket suspension. I thought I was being racer cool, solid subframe mounts, hard engine mounts, heim joint everything, poly bushings in every hole, angle mods. All that happened was the car felt and rode like shit.

thats because too many people dont stop to fully understand:
- how the stock part works
- what the new part does (supposedly better)

instead, they get sold on the new being shiny and the old looking old, so shiny and new MUST be better.

the minute you stop to think about the engineering that is involved with all these parts and cars, then it all starts to make sense.

SupaDoopa
12-27-2019, 01:48 PM
thats because too many people dont stop to fully understand:
- how the stock part works
- what the new part does (supposedly better)

instead, they get sold on the new being shiny and the old looking old, so shiny and new MUST be better.

the minute you stop to think about the engineering that is involved with all these parts and cars, then it all starts to make sense.

I don't think they misunderstand what the new part does but more so misunderstand what the new part will feel like. There is a reason for them to have the clause 'for off-road use only' attached to them for more reasons than just to avoid a law suit. They remove any 'play' the rubber bushings had and made the car predictable. This intent was exactly for that - track only. You don't exactly go toss in a dogbox in a car you take to work. I mean, you can but it makes no sense.

Aftermarket: more predictable, easier to service
Stock: cushy ride, a little more money/time to replace.

ixfxi
12-28-2019, 11:45 PM
the clause for off road use means nothing. vendors have been trying to hide behind this bullshit clause forever. and most of the time its the shitty products like raceland coilovers or isis control arms that need this, so that they can tell a customer to pound sand when the product fails - as its a defective product from the get-go. meaning, these products are clearly not designed with durability or reliability in mind.

Farzam
12-29-2019, 04:17 AM
A lot of the Nissan drift community is honestly cancer now. Everybody thinks their style and vision is elite. Not a new concept, but quality is down the drain. IMO mid-late 00's was the peak of US S-chassis quality. I don't think the new generation really gets it yet and the older generation is inactive so nobody is really there to guide them. I think the transfer from forums -> ig/fb and photobucket going to shit is also a huge factory. Kids just want stiffer spring rates so their "wheels don't hit the fenders" and a lock kit. Maybe a hydro. And some financed wheels.

BUT drifting in general is kinda looking promising to me in 2020. A lot of grassroots series I follow in the southeast seem to have a lot of track time set up next year. VA drift scene is blowing up with some cool cars as well, NC/SC is steadily ramping up with tacky losers, Florida is getting pretty popular, etc.

A lot of other chassis are popular and gaining development, which is cool. More diversity on track, and less 240's theoretically getting mauled. The explosion of E36 is cool. They don't drive like a 240sx per say, but there are a lot of characteristics I wish would carry over. Cheap cars. Plenty to break but a well sorted one with a new cooling system and some shifter bushing will be a reliable and pleasurable steed.

It's 3am and I don't really feel like getting into rebranded hardrace parts and jank s-chassis suspension tuning culture but yeah, I wish s-chassis's had more organized knowledge and info on making s-chassis that drive better than stock but don't make your teeth/kidneys hurt

dizzariot
12-29-2019, 05:54 AM
I'm just waiting for the day when preservation becomes 'cool' and some people can take all the e-fame for doing what I (and my friends) have been doing for a long time now. It will come full circle. Like I've said before: you want to be different? Unique? Do less to your chassis and replace all the OEM rubber. THAT shit is unique lol.

[240sx]
12-29-2019, 08:45 AM
First MOD to my Zenki was removing the P.O installed HID kit for halogens. So there's that...

S14rebuild
12-29-2019, 09:14 AM
I'm just waiting for the day when preservation becomes 'cool' and some people can take all the e-fame for doing what I (and my friends) have been doing for a long time now. It will come full circle. Like I've said before: you want to be different? Unique? Do less to your chassis and replace all the OEM rubber. THAT shit is unique lol.

I just dont see that happening.... yes restorations will happen, but it wont be the kool thing. Hell u can pull up to some meets now and the people there will give a s13 a wtf look and most dont even know what kinda car it is.

Frs/brz hell even 350z owners are all for stanced cars, flashy colors and liverly.

To me that shit is funny seeing frs full rocket bunny kit, 4k wheels, slammed on the ground, 2j swap and........stock brakes. Thats the direction the car scene is headed and the restore preserve will always take a back seat to it and be under appreciated.

e1_griego
12-29-2019, 09:25 AM
^That actually caught me off guard a few weeks ago. Kid at the gas station asked me what my s13 was. "It's a 240sx with a silvia front" "No way, 240sx is a hatchback" "...."

spooled240
12-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Do less to your chassis and replace all the OEM rubber. THAT shit is unique lol.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b6e560ebba3ce332fd54626999fe3725/tenor.gif

S14rebuild
12-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Theres still alot available from dealer, n ebay see alot of oe seals, trims,etc.... but like now, im searchn heaven and hell for a door seal, no luck..all used ones are destroyed and dealer discontinued...so im hopen someone has a few willing to part with 1.

Corbic
12-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Theres still alot available from dealer, n ebay see alot of oe seals, trims,etc.... but like now, im searchn heaven and hell for a door seal, no luck..all used ones are destroyed and dealer discontinued...so im hopen someone has a few willing to part with 1.

That's the challenge, unlike many other platforms; there is no repo scene.

Corbic
12-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Not a new concept, but quality is down the drain. IMO mid-late 00's was the peak of US S-chassis quality. I don't think the new generation really gets it yet and the older generation is inactive so nobody is really there to guide them.

Something worth noting however.

In 2000 to 2008 the S13/S14 was only 10 to 20 years old. In 2000, a '95 S14 was 5 years old, that's the equivalent of a 2015 Mustang GT today. Cars where all still minty fresh and priced in the $3,000 to $7,5000 range, needing nothing.

You also still had FC3S and people daily driving AE86's around. I saw a number of SR5's for sale on craigs-list back then, just owned by normal people looking to sell for something newer.

Honestly, I think the fall of the scene was this pile of shit...

bJSakvx3J2E

Corbic
12-29-2019, 01:38 PM
We got two things going on.

1. The Rise of Ratchet Spec bullshit "race cars".
2. The Rise of High Production value videos.

1. If you look back at all that 90's bullshit we love, those cars where all OEM+ and well kept street legal rigs. That was the guys daily driver and he may even had been still making payments. If you hit a guard rail, you fixed it.

Suddenly around 2010 "Ratchet" was in and guys stopped giving a fuck. It was all about the "Drift Missiles". Why spend $300 fixing a busted fender when you can spend $300 on some Jordan's to flex in front of your "race car".

S14rebuild
12-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Think u can say that was around the time, drifting went main stream, toyko drift and fd was in speed channel.

Before that if u owned a 240 and said drifting..people looked at u like wtf is that.

Now whens the last time u had to describe what drifting is to sumone once they seen ur car? EVERYONE is now a FD/D1 judge. Know everything about car setups and how they can drift better then u.

ixfxi
12-29-2019, 04:14 PM
whats all this "scene" talk

you guys talk about this car culture as if there were good ol days and then all of a sudden, PoP, the new kids come and ruin it all

the bottom line is that cars are part of our independence. my s13 was my first car and i still own it. i met a lot of good people who were or still are part of this community. but some of you nerds to need to get a realize there's more to life than a car and what parts are on it. people jerking off to the most modified or fastest car, who gives a fuck? its as if some of you dream about being 20 forever.

S14rebuild
12-29-2019, 05:25 PM
"Scene" was used as a general term..

The community is always changing. We all know theres more to life then cars, but we need to bitch and complain, thats what were good at and the point of this thread. Were sitn in our rocking chairs yelln at the noobs to get off our lawns and drift courses...

Ichi-Go
12-29-2019, 05:51 PM
We all know theres more to life then cars,

At a point in a lot of our lives there was no more to life than cars.

S14rebuild
12-29-2019, 06:04 PM
At a point in a lot of our lives there was no more to life than cars.

Girls/cars/sports

gbaby2089
12-29-2019, 06:25 PM
whats all this "scene" talk

you guys talk about this car culture as if there were good ol days and then all of a sudden, PoP, the new kids come and ruin it all

the bottom line is that cars are part of our independence. my s13 was my first car and i still own it. i met a lot of good people who were or still are part of this community. but some of you nerds to need to get a realize there's more to life than a car and what parts are on it. people jerking off to the most modified or fastest car, who gives a fuck? its as if some of you dream about being 20 forever.

Because most car dorks are socially inept goobers who haven't figured out how to develop a personality beyond the car they drive or what they want to drive.

Most of the time those cars are wack as well.

mechanicalmoron
12-29-2019, 07:12 PM
That's the challenge, unlike many other platforms; there is no repo scene.

The 240 "scene" has been singularly dedicated to destroying every last 240, there's nothing left to reproduce and no cars left to stick the reproductions on.

dorkidori_s13
12-29-2019, 07:51 PM
The 240 "scene" has been singularly dedicated to destroying every last 240

i blame this on Formula D.

BryanSayWhat
12-29-2019, 09:27 PM
i blame this on Formula D.
Kind of like how movies and shows like "Bullitt” and "Dukes of Hazard" made it harder to find/ afford a 2nd gen Dodge Charger...

Like already mentioned, OEM rubber is easily one of the most frustrating things about owning a 240. The sunroof seal in my 89 coupe started leaking and I almost thought about selling my car, because I couldn't find a seal, or a sunroof. Eventually lucked out and found a complete assembly on Ebay in decent condition after years of looking...

dizzariot
12-30-2019, 04:37 PM
The only thing we can blame this on is making stupid people famous. If these people weren't allowed to proliferate, shit wouldn't be so bad.

The other second only thing to blame is the need to get views and clicks. People started doing 'budget builds' and then started doing 'hate me to make me famous' things and THAT contributed to a lot of shit cars too.

I think it's a mindset that people have: gain notoriety by any means necessary.

S14rebuild
12-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Yup all about internet fame and "clout".

Im 33 and i had to google that shit when someone told me. To the day i have never had any social media at all. Closest i came is aol homepage. Cant deal with these "kids" now doing shit for liks or views soo dumb

Tearlessj
12-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Honestly, I think the fall of the scene was this pile of shit...

bJSakvx3J2E
I don't know, bloodmasters was all good with me...:ughd:

dizzariot
12-31-2019, 01:41 AM
I don't know, bloodmasters was all good with me...:ughd:

Yeah I gotta agree. I think this was before it was an 'epidemic' and the old skate video vibes are so good here lol. Way better than some shitbox sitting while a Lil Xan song plays.

gbaby2089
12-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Kind of like how movies and shows like "Bullitt” and "Dukes of Hazard" made it harder to find/ afford a 2nd gen Dodge Charger...

Like already mentioned, OEM rubber is easily one of the most frustrating things about owning a 240. The sunroof seal in my 89 coupe started leaking and I almost thought about selling my car, because I couldn't find a seal, or a sunroof. Eventually lucked out and found a complete assembly on Ebay in decent condition after years of looking...

Dawg bullitt came out when the Charger was new and Dukes of Hazzard came out when the cars were near valueless as a result of the gas crisis and an economic down turn.

Ichi-Go
12-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Yeah I gotta agree. I think this was before it was an 'epidemic' and the old skate video vibes are so good here lol. Way better than some shitbox sitting while a Lil Xan song plays.

I remember guys would "rechassis" their s13 like once a year because they were 300-500 for a clean car from a girl or grandmother.

Body shop to fix smashed quarter panel is 1,500... new car is 500.

There has been new "old" oem rubber becoming more available recently. I don't know if Nissan did another run but 2 years ago it was harder to find.

https://conceptzperformance.com/items.php?c=10&p=303&page=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-90-93-240SX-HATCH-SUNROOF-WEATHERSTRIP-CONNECTS-TO-THE-GLASS-73872-01M05-/182474277220

BryanSayWhat
12-31-2019, 04:22 PM
Dawg bullitt came out when the Charger was new and Dukes of Hazzard came out when the cars were near valueless as a result of the gas crisis and an economic down turn.This is true, but the "iconic" presence of those movies and shows remained popular for decades after...

Think of how many teens watched both of those in the late 70's through the 80's and all of a sudden wanted a 2nd gen Charger.

Corbic
12-31-2019, 04:45 PM
This is true, but the "iconic" presence of those movies and shows remained popular for decades after...

Think of how many teens watched both of those in the late 70's through the 80's and all of a sudden wanted a 2nd gen Charger.Not that many. A basic '67 GT fastback and a Charger where both very inexpensive up until the 2000s, decades after those shows came out.

Corbic
12-31-2019, 04:50 PM
I remember guys would "rechassis" their s13 like once a year because they were 300-500 for a clean car from a girl or grandmother.

Body shop to fix smashed quarter panel is 1,500... new car is 500.

Some thing to be said about this. Not only as a drift thing but a generational. Trash a 240 and move on to the next hype wagon.

Look how many guys brag about owning 5 or 6 240s.

Wander over to drag and track racing circles and you find guys that bought their Fox or Terminator new and are still racing and wrenching on it.

Just saw a 70's 911 race car sell on BAT, guy had been racing it for 30 years, looked brand new.

Sold for $55k which seems insane until you realize Japanese Classics wants $55k for a 93 Supra.

BryanSayWhat
12-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Not that many. A basic '67 GT fastback and a Charger where both very inexpensive up until the 2000s, decades after those shows came out.I guess my memory is shit... I've literally only seen a hand full of 2nd gen Chargers driving in the streets in my life. lol

I always thought they just became hard to find, because they were a pop culture icon. What made the 68-70 Charger go so high up in value from the 2000's to now?

Ichi-Go
01-01-2020, 07:01 AM
Some thing to be said about this. Not only as a drift thing but a generational. Trash a 240 and move on to the next hype wagon.

Look how many guys brag about owning 5 or 6 240s.

Wander over to drag and track racing circles and you find guys that bought their Fox or Terminator new and are still racing and wrenching on it.

Just saw a 70's 911 race car sell on BAT, guy had been racing it for 30 years, looked brand new.

I love hearing stories like that. Ekanoo racing guy had his supra for 20 years. Jack Olsen's 911 of the 12 gauge garage.. forever car. The cars that are "forever" cars are definitely a different mindset.

I hate seeing guys on here pour years of work and money into a car, finish the build, and part it out.

spooled240
01-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Drifting is fun, but let's be honest: It's a reckless joke of a motorsport. You can literally build a "drift car" with a welded diff, a hackjob junkyard v8 swap and shitty overly-stiff coilovers. Sure there are legitimate drift events, but the cars just have to stay together for about 30 seconds at a time.

Time attack cars require much more engineering, planning and money to build which I think encourages its participants to not wreck their cars under justifications of "full send" or some shit. It's no surprise that the crowd there as a whole has a different mindset. It's all about go and not so much show which is exactly the opposite if what drifting was founded on.

Sometime around 2013 I began seeing my low s14 "drift car" as a silly toy. I have since rebuilt it and continue to build it as more of a functional road race/stree car and couldn't be happier.

S14rebuild
01-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Drifting is fun, but let's be honest: It's a reckless joke of a motorsport. You can literally build a "drift car" with a welded diff, a hackjob junkyard v8 swap and shitty overly-stiff coilovers. Sure there are legitimate drift events, but the cars just have to stay together for about 30 seconds at a time.

Time attack cars require much more engineering, planning and money to build which I think encourages its participants to not wreck their cars under justifications of "full send" or some shit. It's no surprise that the crowd there as a whole has a different mindset. It's all about go and not so much show which is exactly the opposite if what drifting was founded on.

Sometime around 2013 I began seeing my low s14 "drift car" as a silly toy. I have since rebuilt it and continue to build it as more of a functional road race/stree car and couldn't be happier.

That philosophy can be put towards any motorsports...

There will always be beginner, basic cars and full built/over built cars

spooled240
01-01-2020, 03:24 PM
That philosophy can be put towards any motorsports...

There will always be beginner, basic cars and full built/over built cars

You don't nearly see/ever see these hack job cars in road racing. All the beginner cars are usually just bone stock.

spooled240
01-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Dbl post....

S14rebuild
01-01-2020, 04:23 PM
You don't nearly see/ever see these hack job cars in road racing. All the beginner cars are usually just bone stock.

The thing is most drift events at the local/ grassroots are run by friends, and passing tech with a motorcycle open face helmet and a battery held down with zipties, leads to jalopy cars riden out on the track. Noone to enforce rules or saftey u get haggard cars slapped together. Im all for as much seat time as possiable but i beleve in haven my car look decent and atleast safe.

spooled240
01-01-2020, 06:56 PM
Right. Combine that with the 'show' spect of drifting and it's a fucking clown show of a motorsport. And that's why you see a bunch of haggard shit being built.

Corbic
01-01-2020, 09:08 PM
I guess my memory is shit... I've literally only seen a hand full of 2nd gen Chargers driving in the streets in my life. lol

I always thought they just became hard to find, because they were a pop culture icon. What made the 68-70 Charger go so high up in value from the 2000's to now?Late 90's saw the rise of Barret Jack auctions and record breaking sales for unique original cars. Toss in the boomers cashing out in the 90's economy, mid life crisis, car builder shows, resto mod scene, Fast and Furious, etc.

80's and 90's no one cared about classic muscle cars, unless they where a Hella rare special optioned all original whatever (example 4spd Purple Hemi 'Cuda white interior convertible 1:1).

Bullitt came out in 1968, when that car was still new. It wasn't until 2001 that Ford cashed that Nostalgia Ticket for the first time. That's when all the Retro Nostalgia cars started popping up.

' 99 New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Prowler, Mach 1, Bullitt, Thunderbird, Ford GT and of course the 2005 Mustang. So we then got Camaro, Chargers and Challengers.

mechanicalmoron
01-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Late 90's saw the rise of Barret Jack auctions and record breaking sales for unique original cars. Toss in the boomers cashing out in the 90's economy, mid life crisis, car builder shows, resto mod scene, Fast and Furious, etc.

80's and 90's no one cared about classic muscle cars, unless they where a Hella rare special optioned all original whatever (example 4spd Purple Hemi 'Cuda white interior convertible 1:1).

Bullitt came out in 1968, when that car was still new. It wasn't until 2001 that Ford cashed that Nostalgia Ticket for the first time. That's when all the Retro Nostalgia cars started popping up.

' 99 New Beetle, PT Cruiser, Prowler, Mach 1, Bullitt, Thunderbird, Ford GT and of course the 2005 Mustang. So we then got Camaro, Chargers and Challengers.

Prowler and such, maybe.

But the real modern(ish) retro style was dodge's new truck body. And it's fucking beautiful and brilliant, for dodge garbage.

spooled240
01-02-2020, 12:22 AM
Prowler and such, maybe.

But the real modern(ish) retro style was dodge's new truck body. And it's fucking beautiful and brilliant, for dodge garbage.No one gives a fuck about truck bodies lol

Corbic
01-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Prowler and such, maybe.

But the real modern(ish) retro style was dodge's new truck body. And it's fucking beautiful and brilliant, for dodge garbage.WTF

Dodge Trucks are trend setters in terms of modern styling and features.

The 2nd Gen Ram gave us the "Mini Semi" styling that the Super Duty would then follow. 3rd Gen doubled down with the bull nose that Toyota would lean on for the 2nd Gen Tundra.

Only retro trucks are extinct FJ Cruiser and GM's half ass attempt to recover sales with the 2014 Silverado, which they quickly abandoned.

Jeeps are Jeeps and I would not call that Retro, they've simply maintained the iconic styling.

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 08:07 AM
I love when people think a 'road race' car can also be a street car. Maybe you aren't really educated on what an actual road race car is and how those types of cars are not legal to drive on the street. It's one or the other - ammonia or bleach. You can't have them both.

Corbic
01-02-2020, 08:20 AM
The thing is most drift events at the local/ grassroots are run by friends, and passing tech with a motorcycle open face helmet and a battery held down with zipties, leads to jalopy cars riden out on the track. Noone to enforce rules or saftey u get haggard cars slapped together. Im all for as much seat time as possiable but i beleve in haven my car look decent and atleast safe.Right. Combine that with the 'show' spect of drifting and it's a fucking clown show of a motorsport. And that's why you see a bunch of haggard shit being built.
It's a catch 22.

If you impose SCCA, NASA or NHRA level of safety scrutiny, then no one will participate. Events won't turn a profit and you'll have people cry fowl about "keep drifting fun" and it's to expensive.

One thing the other avenues do manage well is the fact they enforce competition classes. So that whole tier of "beginners" are basically regulated to stock cars which are required to meet stock safety requirements.

There is a certain sense of irony, how Intial D is lauded as the basis of every drifting fans inspiration.

The show features a humble, disciplined protagonist (Takumi) who spends years mastering his ability to drive a well maintained, near stock AE86. His ability to beat out his opponents, who are driving more modern, technically and financially superior cars, is purely from practice and skill.

It's amusing that people hate Tokyo Drift when that is a closer approximation of real life. A bunch of boastful loud mouths that do illegal shit, smash up a bunch of beautiful cars only to win because their opponent is even more stupid and rolls his shit off a cliff.

Drifting really is a reflection of today's youth, the hypebeast "send it for the likes" disposable crowd.

No one builds a CMC Mustang, Small Tire Corvette, Spec Boxster or Auto-X Miata expecting to trash it and write it off as "oh well, its just a race car... It's supposed to be ratty"

Corbic
01-02-2020, 08:21 AM
I love when people think a 'road race' car can also be a street car. Maybe you aren't really educated on what an actual road race car is and how those types of cars are not legal to drive on the street. It's one or the other - ammonia or bleach. You can't have them both.Can't have a street legal completion drift car either.

S14rebuild
01-02-2020, 08:26 AM
It's a catch 22.

If you impose SCCA, NASA or NHRA level of safety scrutiny, then no one will participate. Events won't turn a profit and you'll have people cry fowl about "keep drifting fun" and it's to expensive.

One thing the other avenues do manage well is the fact they enforce competition classes. So that whole tier of "beginners" are basically regulated to stock cars which are required to meet stock safety requirements.

There is a certain sense of irony, how Intial D is lauded as the basis of every drifting fans inspiration.

The show features a humble, disciplined protagonist (Takumi) who spends years mastering his ability to drive a well maintained, near stock AE86. His ability to beat out his opponents, who are driving more modern, technically and financially superior cars, is purely from practice and skill.

It's amusing that people hate Tokyo Drift when that is a closer approximation of real life. A bunch of boastful loud mouths that do illegal shit, smash up a bunch of beautiful cars only to win because their opponent is even more stupid and rolls his shit off a cliff.

Drifting really is a reflection of today's youth, the hypebeast "send it for the likes" disposable crowd.

No one builds a CMC Mustang, Small Tire Corvette, Spec Boxster or Auto-X Miata expecting to trash it and write it off as "oh well, its just a race car... It's supposed to be ratty"

No i get it. But im talkn about the pos car, fenders flapping in the wind, ziptied down battery, 3 lug nuts on a wheel... just a bad look all together.

But then again its not my car. Guess the "enthusiast" in me would like to see the cars i so much luv, have a little better look to them when i see them out and about. But i guess with anything done in groups, ull have the bottom of the barrel and minty pristine ones. Gues im just grumpy about it

S14rebuild
01-02-2020, 08:27 AM
"Send it for the likes" just found my new sticker to mount under my fanboi fd legal wing! Hahaha thanks

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Can't have a street legal completion drift car either.

Never said that they had to be street legal. I'm just saying if you can barely drive stick, you shouldn't be sitting in a fucking dogbox stroked/SC'ed V8 surrounded by a 29491 point tubular cage.

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 08:29 AM
"Send it for the likes" just found my new sticker to mount under my fanboi fd legal wing! Hahaha thanks

...you're actually announcing that?

Corbic
01-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Never said that they had to be street legal. I'm just saying if you can barely drive stick, you shouldn't be sitting in a fucking dogbox stroked/SC'ed V8 surrounded by a 29491 point tubular cage.100%

Unfortunately that's what our society expects on a macro level.

See it in everything, like the dude that wants to start snow boarding, so he drops $5k on top brand gear and a custom board before he ever hit a slop.

Just think about how many mint interior, working A/C cars got gutted into drift missiles....

S14rebuild
01-02-2020, 10:09 AM
...you're actually announcing that?

It was a joke.......fail

spooled240
01-02-2020, 12:24 PM
I love it when people think they are educated about something but still apply a general statement to something they know little about. There are plenty of miatas, corvettes, evos, sti's that run classes that are restricted on modifications and are still street legal.

https://www.scca.com/pages/car-classifications-and-groups

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 12:42 PM
I don't give a fuck about the rules. You have a street car that so happens to run on a track. That doesn't make it a competitive road race car. That's like calling my daily a drag car because it falls into a specific rule bracket.

Your ass is out there getting gapped by 200K+ mile Mini Coopers with a fat driver. At least it's a road race car though.

Tearlessj
01-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Yea but the scca dudes are lame af. They're like the IT guys of motorsports.

half kidding.

Tearlessj
01-02-2020, 12:45 PM
double post.

spooled240
01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
I don't give a fuck about the rules. You have a street car that so happens to run on a track. That doesn't make it a competitive road race car. That's like calling my daily a drag car because it falls into a specific rule bracket.

Your ass is out there getting gapped by 200K+ mile Mini Coopers with a fat driver. At least it's a road race car though.Dude you dont have to drive a mini cooper lol drive a 400whp s13/s14 with bolt ons. Or hell, a C5Z with bolts would be fast enough.Yea but the scca dudes are lame af. They're like the IT guys of motorsports.

half kidding.Well the drifting dudes are the frat boys of motorsports so..

Corbic
01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Dude you dont have to drive a mini cooper lol drive a 400whp s13/s14 with bolt ons. Or hell, a C5Z with bolts would be fast enough.Well the drifting dudes are the frat boys of motorsports so..

No such thing as a 400whp S13/4 with "bolt ons".

Also, Desert guys are the frat boys of racing. If drifters are anything, it's the campus Otaku Club hanging out with their Waifu pillows wondering why they are not crushing mad pussy.

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 02:22 PM

He just doesn't want to admit the vast amount of money he paid to be unreliably slow.

spooled240
01-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Also, Desert guys are the frat boys of racing. If drifters are anything, it's the campus Otaku Club hanging out with their Waifu pillows wondering why they are not crushing mad pussy.Bolt ons include rebuilding the KA or an SR swap for me. My point was that you can totally have a fun and competitive road racing car and still drive it on the street.

spooled240
01-02-2020, 02:30 PM
He just doesn't want to admit the vast amount of money he paid to be unreliably slow.Like you dont want to admit you spent tons of money on a car you cant drive on the street. Do you just sit at home and just dwell over the idea that a car can only be one dimensional? lol

SupaDoopa
01-02-2020, 02:35 PM
Like you dont want to admit you spent tons of money on a car you cant drive on the street. Do you just sit at home and just dwell over the idea that a car can only be one dimensional? lol

No. But if I'm going to sit here and suck the dick of the road race crowd on how they do things 'right' and then talk about how my shit box with no actual road race-helping technology can keep up with much more balanced EVO's/Vette's/whatever, I'd like to think that I've dropped enough time and money into it that it no longer is street worthy.

There is a difference between having something that came factory AWD with 300AWHP and having a sub-200RWHP car that's coolest feature is a fucking cooler in the glove box.

Corbic
01-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Bolt ons include rebuilding the KA or an SR swap for me. My point was that you can totally have a fun and competitive road racing car and still drive it on the street.

You are not "road racing" with a street car.

You are "High Performance Driving Event'ing", which is the same as a "test and tune".

The idea of "racing" involves competition and trophies. To be NASA legal basically in tails gutting the car, welding a very intrusive inspected cage, fixed back, direct mounted seats, airbag and steering lock elimination, water cooling system, harness, Hans, etc.

That's no longer a street safe daily driver.

You also don't need any engine mods for that, heck most series forbid it.

spooled240
01-02-2020, 03:07 PM
No. But if I'm going to sit here and suck the dick of the road race crowd on how they do things 'right' and then talk about how my shit box with no actual road race-helping technology can keep up with much more balanced EVO's/Vette's/whatever, I'd like to think that I've dropped enough time and money into it that it no longer is street worthy.

There is a difference between having something that came factory AWD with 300AWHP and having a sub-200RWHP car that's coolest feature is a fucking cooler in the glove box.

You are not "road racing" with a street car.

You are "High Performance Driving Event'ing", which is the same as a "test and tune".

The idea of "racing" involves competition and trophies. To be NASA legal basically in tails gutting the car, welding a very intrusive inspected cage, fixed back, direct mounted seats, airbag and steering lock elimination, water cooling system, harness, Hans, etc.

That's no longer a street safe daily driver.

You also don't need any engine mods for that, heck most series forbid it.

Well obviously there are levels to this shit. I'm not talking about NASA. I'm talking grassroots entry level stuff to have fun.

Production class SCCA, speed ventures dont require that much and are considered road racing

BryanSayWhat
01-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Talking about street cars...

Tsuchiya's 86 is what I consider to be the pinnacle of a "properly" tuned Japanese "street car":
https://i.imgur.com/kGmLNz8.jpg?1

No cage
No GT wing
Paint/ focus on aesthetics
Full interior
A/C & heat
Strong focus on handling and balance
Can have "fun" doing spirited street driving, track days, drifting and of course Touge Battles... lol

The above almost seems like a foreign concept to most S-Chassis these days.

S14rebuild
01-02-2020, 06:55 PM
It got spicy in here for a minute

Tearlessj
01-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Talking about street cars...

No cage
No GT wing
Paint/ focus on aesthetics
Full interior
A/C & heat
Strong focus on handling and balance
Can have "fun" doing spirited street driving, track days, drifting and of course Touge Battles... lol

The above almost seems like a foreign concept to most S-Chassis these days.
So like a stock car with suspension.

Anyways, this whole conversation is stupid. Can we move on or would you guys like to keep talking about racing classes and rule books?

BryanSayWhat
01-03-2020, 12:05 AM
So like a stock car with suspension.No, my last sentence was referencing Tsuchiya's 86 as a "total package" (which is far from being "a stock car with suspension").

The bulletins were just "some" key points to what makes his car a well balanced "street" car.

dizzariot
01-03-2020, 02:05 AM
No, my last sentence was referencing Tsuchiya's 86 as a "total package" (which is far from being "a stock car with suspension").

The bulletins were just "some" key points to what makes his car a well balanced "street" car.

This is where I live, lol.

It's nice having the platform all the Nismo arms are actually intended for.

dorkidori_s13
01-03-2020, 07:49 AM
This is where I live, lol.

It's nice having the platform all the Nismo arms are actually intended for.

heh, speaking of... i just bought NISMO front and rear lower control arms for my S13 hatch last night from Japanland! the last pieces of my suspension that need changing out and then my suspension is 100% DONE!

Corbic
01-03-2020, 10:08 AM
heh, speaking of... i just bought NISMO front and rear lower control arms for my S13 hatch last night from Japanland! the last pieces of my suspension that need changing out and then my suspension is 100% DONE!Good stuff.

Oh to go back in time and fill a garage with such parts.