PDA

View Full Version : Found chunk of metal in the trans

jslamm01
04-11-2018, 07:57 AM
So I just picked up a running 95 240 manual, the guy said it wouldn't go into first but all the other gears work fine so we drained the trans fluid was clean and no flakes but happen to see this chunk sitting by the drain plug and it wasn't magnetic so we assume it was aluminum and may possibly part of the first gear fork ? My buddy has couple of blown manuals at his house I was planning on swapping out the good parts on the s13 trans to my s14 trans but I fear that with me disassembling my current trans something else is gonna break or it won't work correctly after its reassembled, so I was wondering if it would be okay to drive it from 2nd to 5th without having a issue until I can find a new trans to swap it for. I just don't want something to dislodge and there goes the trans. The way it looks it seems like its the back of the fork where the bar slides in so Im thinking the fork can't go anywhere so I should be good, but I want to see what you guys think.

https://thumb.ibb.co/n0voRc/IMG_1700.jpg (https://ibb.co/n0voRc)

apex128
04-13-2018, 08:08 AM
I would get a new transmission before driving the car. You don't want to end up stuck somewhere or possibly get hurt if it locks up. Ka transmissions are cheap.

jedi03
04-13-2018, 08:48 AM
you will trash your clutch fast...my first car was 85 mr2, blown head gasket and transmission stuck in 3rd...super fun to drive only lasted a month and just found rebuilt engine/trans at junkyard to swap in...better to swap before you don't have time to do it...the exterior casings come off without affecting the rest of the drivetrain too

Kingtal0n
04-13-2018, 09:51 AM
If second works, it uses the same fork as first. When you push forward into 1st, it pulls the fork back into 1st which is up against the center of the transmission.

Does it go first with the engine off? There are a couple small elements I can think of that would make it difficult to engage while rotating if they are missing.

kyral
04-15-2018, 12:39 PM
The shift forks are about the only aluminum pieces in the trans

and you cant swap parts from an s13 trans to an s14 unless its like a 93 trans cause I don't think manual was offered in 94 and 93+ was different than 89-92