PDA

View Full Version : Shifter issues??

iVanRoz
08-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Ok after searching for about an hour I gave up and decided to make a thread.
Anyways here's my situation. I was happily driving my Z down to the beach when suddenly my shifter started feeling weird when switching gears. The shifter "bounced" around and made a ratting noise it also had a sluggish feel to it. I parked the car and checked the clutch hydraulics to see if they were good. The master clutch was not leaking and as far as I could tell neither was the slave. (I replaced both of these a few months ago). The clutch itself seems to be good I didn't notice any slippage. The car still goes into every gear and theres no sigh and I can't hear any noise coming from the transmission itself.

I'd love to get your guys input on this. Could it be a bad shifter bushing? Low transmission fluid? Maybe a transmission mount?
Now that I think of it the issue started just as I was going down a really steep incline down to the beach strand. Don't know if has something to do with it or it was just coincidence.

FUUARK
12-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok after searching for about an hour I gave up and decided to make a thread.
Anyways here's my situation. I was happily driving my Z down to the beach when suddenly my shifter started feeling weird when switching gears. The shifter "bounced" around and made a ratting noise it also had a sluggish feel to it. I parked the car and checked the clutch hydraulics to see if they were good. The master clutch was not leaking and as far as I could tell neither was the slave. (I replaced both of these a few months ago). The clutch itself seems to be good I didn't notice any slippage. The car still goes into every gear and theres no sigh and I can't hear any noise coming from the transmission itself.

I'd love to get your guys input on this. Could it be a bad shifter bushing? Low transmission fluid? Maybe a transmission mount?
Now that I think of it the issue started just as I was going down a really steep incline down to the beach strand. Don't know if has something to do with it or it was just coincidence.

Shifter support bracket - Try pulling off the interior plastics surrounding the shifter, then remove the 4 bolts holding down the rubber shifter boot.

It seems that it is a common issue for the shifter support bracket to drop or become loose.

Mikester
12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
It's either the bushings or it simply came too loose in the bracketing that connects it to the striker rod... or both.

My shifter rattles at 3,000rpm & above, but only because I was dumb enough to put SPL solid shifter bushings in (hate them but love the feel lol). It still shifts very precisely and is nice & tight tho.