PDA

View Full Version : RB25DE+turbo conversion discussion

Beas
07-23-2020, 10:22 AM
Hey zilvia

So, my skyline has a rb25de that im starting the conversion to turbo. For me i like the idea that its about 1/3 of the cost of swaping for an rb25. the motor already has plugs for oil drain and water lines for turbo. i also like the idea of higher compression and a quick spooling turbo. also, i dont plan on going high hp. i daily drive the car and am just looking for more power for local drift events.

Help me out, tell me what i may be overlooking. also anyone that knows these engines well, any advice would be appreciated. my drift car had an LS for the past 5 years so rbs are new territory.

Parts i have so far...

-DET stock injectors
-DET coilpacks if needed
-AEM fuel pump
-oil and water lines
-downpipe
-intake piping

Needed...

-ECU series 1
-intercooler and piping
-stock turbo
-ex manifold
-stronger clutch

hoping i can just bolt this stuff on and the stock ecu will run things fairly well. simpler tuner recomendations?

thanks

S14rebuild
07-23-2020, 10:37 AM
If ur gonna keep stock ecu youll need a a tuner to work with that, nistu ne,romtune, something that will work, timing will be important since ull be running higher compression. What fuel will u be running...

Beas
07-23-2020, 12:06 PM
If ur gonna keep stock ecu youll need a a tuner to work with that, nistu ne,romtune, something that will work, timing will be important since ull be running higher compression. What fuel will u be running...

most likely shitty vegas 91. i do have access to 100 octane so maybe that. stock fuel system other than aem 355

S14rebuild
07-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Still needs tuning for higher compresson motor to be correct. Everything eles u got listed looks good

feito
07-26-2020, 01:15 PM
you get into tuning, you're getting into big money close to, if not the same than swapping to a det.
Then again, rb25det stock ecu's are really shitty, so even with a complete det, you may end up upgrading the ecu at a later point, so maybe just do it now?...

Beas
07-30-2020, 09:24 AM
you get into tuning, you're getting into big money close to, if not the same than swapping to a det.
Then again, rb25det stock ecu's are really shitty, so even with a complete det, you may end up upgrading the ecu at a later point, so maybe just do it now?...

yeah, thats a bit more than i wanted to spend, but it would be really nice to have a new ecu and good tune that i know will work great for me no matter what i do with the car down the road.

S14rebuild
07-30-2020, 12:36 PM
Just use a z32 ecu and go rs enthphy. $400 range

Beas
08-01-2020, 09:25 AM

thanks for the tip. that looks like exactly the route i want to go for now.

feito
08-01-2020, 11:45 AM
I tried that on my rb25. For some reason we could never get the mail in tune right. And I don't mean running perfect, I just mean running stable. martin tried a few different settings and still nothing. I ended up going nistune, and I also had some trouble with that. I could never figured out what was wrong with my setup. Most essentials on my car were new except for the maf which tested good. New WS harness.
Finally Martin did a session in my city and I grabbed a spot. He tuned my nistune and managed to get a decent number on a conservative tune, for a fraction of the cost I had been charged previously for a tune that didn't last. That ecu and tune lasted until the day I sold the car. Pretty sure it's still running out there.
Martin is a legit guy. If you can make one of his mail-in tunes work with your setup I would go with that. His CS is unquestionable.

Beas
03-16-2021, 12:05 PM
update.

turbo install is all done. had some issues with idle for a bit. some air leaks needed to be sealed up and vacuum lines ran better.

ended up using gtr top feed 550cc injectors. direct fit. running on stock wastegate spring 8-10 lbs with 93 oct.

so far all is good. just drove it at a local event. power felt great.