PDA

View Full Version : sr20det injector decapping, good idea or not?

K_never_broke_again
12-02-2019, 06:06 PM
So the other day, in my search to find the cheapest possible way to make 350hp, I came across this interesting ghetto injector mod(decapping). For anyone who doesn't know what it is, you basically grind off the pintle cap of the injector to increase the flow of the injector. From what i've read, it can nearly double your flow rate, but at the expense of consistency across injectors and the effectiveness of fuel atomization. I noticed it's mostly truck people who do this, but I figure if it works for them theres a chance it'll work for me. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or any insight on how risky it would be?

Turbosauce74
12-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Man I'll sell you injectors used for cheap so you don't have to mess something up more serious. Injectors aren't even expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

S14rebuild
12-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Theres no reason for this...injectors are cheap enough...do it right or ull end up with a blown motor and alot less $$

EFITTZY
12-03-2019, 07:50 AM
:tweak: No.... just no.

jedi03
12-03-2019, 02:11 PM
I am seeing this a lot with modders...witch hunter actually debunked a lot of myths behind this, it does leave risk of damaging injector but yes you can increase flow on certain types of injectors...it does change the spray pattern as well as the variance between injectors so balancing them could be tricky too...

S14rebuild
12-03-2019, 05:49 PM
I am seeing this a lot with modders...witch hunter actually debunked a lot of myths behind this, it does leave risk of damaging injector but yes you can increase flow on certain types of injectors...it does change the spray pattern as well as the variance between injectors so balancing them could be tricky too...

So.....dont fuking do it.

Just cause it "works" doesnt mean its right and/or proper.

To.OP....

If u take pride in ur car/build buy proper injectors

But by all means do as u want, its ur car n ur $

K_never_broke_again
12-03-2019, 09:16 PM

The variance between injectors and the fact that I wouldn't know what the fuel output is without getting them tested is the main thing that I worry about. When I get it tuned what am I supposed to say... "yeah man its got decapped stock injectors, not really sure what cc but people say its about double, give or take 5% on each one." I find it hard to believe any tuner would take that risk lol.

When I get the funds for the upgrade in a few months, and if I go the safc tuning route, ill probably end up trying it. I guess theres a chance I could destroy my engine, but hey, someone has to be the first to try it, right? Gotta risk it for the biscuit.

ultimateirving
12-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Terrible idea. Even eBay injectors would be less risky. And forget about the safc. Get a tune to match your injectors with either a rom tune or standalone(given the nature of the post I doubt you’d shell out the cash). You will also likely want a z32 maf to accommodate the extra power.

TheRealSy90
12-04-2019, 08:37 AM
safc

Don't, just don't.

Kingtal0n
12-04-2019, 11:38 AM
350hp on a safc and de-capped injectors?

Hell why not, should last at least 5 minutes

Look on the bright side, you saved like $500 but then the new engine costs 3k so hmmm not really a good deal

RalliartRsX
12-04-2019, 12:36 PM
350hp on a safc and de-capped injectors?

Hell why not, should last at least 5 minutes

That's exactly 4 mins and 50 secs longer than his last engine...….:p

240msh
12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
you can literally get Subaru 550s for like $100 lol

jedi03
12-04-2019, 01:17 PM
my tuner didn't care what physical status my injectors were, just brand/flow and what other power mods were on it as well as my car being mechanically sound...Very few injectors can be modified to increase the flow and still work correctly. Usually the spray patterns will be poor and their flow rates will be very mismatched after modification.
The only injectors we currently modify are the pink or blue top-feed Denso's and the yellow side-feeds that are used in the late model Subaru. These will typically flow within a few percent of one another after modification. We perform this operation using a lathe or mill to prevent injector damage. See our Subaru Mods page page for pricing.

https://witchhunter.com/injectorfaq1.php#do

so do it if you want, but getting a properly sized set of injectors would be best practice

RalliartRsX
12-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Or just buy some topfeeds and be done. Sidefeed injectors are literally a 30-40 year old design lol

S14rebuild
12-04-2019, 06:07 PM
This is a thread i expected to see from 10 yrs ago......

Come on all the technology out there, newer injector styles, fair prices and many options for tuning

Safc=fail

Decapped=fail

collegekid
12-05-2019, 06:56 AM
OP

Screw these guys and what they tell you. This is America. It's YOUR car.

Also, I'm interested in your car with the blown engine after you're done with it. I'll come down and pick it up and make you a fair cash offer. Keep in touch friend, let me know how it works out.

jedi03
12-05-2019, 08:14 AM
lol I additionally have a set of sti 550s...im sure there have been some revisions along the way!

kyral
12-07-2019, 12:52 PM
When you make more power you have less room for error and inconsistency and want more precise control over everything running the engine, (which is why SAFC are bad for making big power) so its counter productive to do this. youre trying to make more power with less precision.

does it do what you think it does? yes
Is it a good idea? no

1988montecarloss
12-23-2019, 01:43 AM
you can literally get Subaru 550s for like $100 lol

this x2

gonna cost $80 to have the decaps flow tested so youre at least not pulling a guess out of your ass as to what they flow and theyre still not gonna be anywhere near close to each other