PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Can’t fix shutting off issue

Therealjs6
09-08-2019, 08:34 AM
To start off. I have a 1992 Nissan 240sx ka24de 200,000 miles. Car ran perfect when I first bought it. 6 months later it takes a fail on me as I’m driving. One misfire then maybe 100 feet later shuts off and all the idiot likes come on. Doesn’t hesitate like it has no gas it just completely turned off no hesitation. I try to start it but it only cranks. I get a tow home and next day I go to to start it and it runs. I drive it for 5 minutes and same problem but with no misfire just shuts off and I have to wait a day to start it again. And now this happens everyday I can’t drive more than 5 minutes without shutting off. So far I have replaced the ignition control module , ignition coil , and spark plug wires. I ran the Ecu and got the codes 34,11,13 which are camshaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, and knock sensor. Please help I am lost with what to do

Presto
09-08-2019, 01:26 PM
My ka24 single cam will run high idle for 5 mins then kill itself and idk what it is

S14rebuild
09-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Anyone check spark? Check fuel pressure?injector pulse?

Just thrown parts at cars doesnt usually fix the issue

Therealjs6
09-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Anyone check spark? Check fuel pressure?injector pulse?

Just thrown parts at cars doesnt usually fix the issue

Once it does there’s no spark and I’m pretty sure the fuel pump doesn’t turn on either

S14rebuild
09-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Check efi relay

Kingtal0n
09-08-2019, 08:24 PM
"egi" relay

and get a multimeter from harbor freight tools $5 so you can check voltage at the computer during incidents

S14rebuild
09-08-2019, 08:26 PM
"egi" relay

and get a multimeter from harbor freight tools $5 so you can check voltage at the computer during incidents

Thanks ;)

Therealjs6
09-08-2019, 09:00 PM
"egi" relay

How should I check. My codes that I pulled don’t mean anything u think?

Therealjs6
09-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Check efi relay

If it was the egi relay why am I getting no spark too

Therealjs6
09-08-2019, 09:05 PM
I don’t know if this has to do with it. But I put new spark plugs CAuse my old ones looked burnt and they idled for around 5 mins before the car shut off and even the new ones became very black. Not wet

brndck
09-09-2019, 10:12 AM
right, so you guys, if you are NOT getting spark, check the EGI relay.

make sure it is engaging. I've seen a number of Nissan ecus that fail, and will not trigger the EGI relay to engage.

Therealjs6
09-09-2019, 12:41 PM
right, so you guys, if you are NOT getting spark, check the EGI relay.

make sure it is engaging. I've seen a number of Nissan ecus that fail, and will not trigger the EGI relay to engage.

Is there a way to tell if it’s bad

brndck
09-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Is there a way to tell if it’s bad
of course. if it clicks on and sends power past it, its good

if it doesn't click on and send power past it, its bad

if it does either of those things intermittently, its bad

want me to come help you brush your teeth too?

Therealjs6
09-09-2019, 01:02 PM
of course. if it clicks on and sends power past it, its good

if it doesn't click on and send power past it, its bad

if it does either of those things intermittently, its bad

want me to come help you brush your teeth too?

Wanna not be a cunt lmao

brndck
09-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Wanna not be a cunt lmao

I mean, unless you wanna buy me a flight to philly, you're gonna hafta do some of this diagnostic work yourself. Go check your relays, get a test light or power probe or multimeter to check for power across the switched side of the relay, then next time it fails, check it again and make sure you confirm the results. :hey:

Therealjs6
09-09-2019, 01:25 PM
I mean, unless you wanna buy me a flight to philly, you're gonna hafta do some of this diagnostic work yourself. Go check your relays, get a test light or power probe or multimeter to check for power across the switched side of the relay, then next time it fails, check it again and make sure you confirm the results. :hey:

Thanks man lol I’ll check

Therealjs6
09-10-2019, 01:46 PM

I have work today so I only got to drive it for around 10 minutes but of course when I need it to die on me it won’t die

Therealjs6
09-19-2019, 01:24 PM

So the car shut off. And I checked the relay and power comes out

Kingtal0n
09-19-2019, 03:20 PM
you need to put the $5 multi-meter on the ECU power / EGI relay output

and have the meter ready for when the engine shuts off

to verify the power is gone or not

if not, continue to use the meter to complete diagnosis by checking each circuit until isolated the problem

"shutting off" suddenly is likely:
1. 1 or more relays failing (replace relay indiscriminately)
2. fuel pump failing or sudden fuel filter clogging (check fuel pressure during issue)
3. fuses can be 'bad' suggest also changing fuses at 'random' (change the ones you think might be associated just for the heck of it)
4. loose wires, plugs, loose ECU connection, (check ECU plug, check ALL wires, pull on them while testing CONTINUITY with $5 meter
For #4 study factory service manual diagrams, follow the power from battery to the computer/injectors/distributor/etc... so you know instinctively which circuit gets power from where, when that power should be there, etc...
for example I believe the injectors receive a 12V constant supply (always even when car is shut off)
this and other simple 'intuitive' knowledge will aid diagnostics

make sure you
A. learn how to perform continuity tests using $5 meter
B. learn how to test for ground and voltage using $5 meter

jedi03
09-23-2019, 07:59 AM
how much coolant do you have in the system?

S14rebuild
09-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Why ask that^?

kennedy8383
09-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Once it does there’s no spark and I’m pretty sure the fuel pump doesn’t turn on either

Not true. Sometime it can be bad connection from harness.

rosiereed
10-03-2019, 12:55 AM
please check the EGI relay.
run 3 (https://run3az.com)

jedi03
10-03-2019, 08:13 AM
tried running a single cam that would do that...found out after my first 20 min drive with it headgasket was gone and there was no water in the system...but the diagnostic above looks pretty good too!

Presto
10-03-2019, 11:35 PM
If one of my coolant hoses (under intake manifold) is kinked and not letting anything through could this cause the car to die? Also I noticed that my car only dies when I put it into gear, fuel pump maybe?

Ka24e SOHC

S14rebuild
10-05-2019, 02:55 PM
No^.............