PDA

View Full Version : Cooling panels

alwaysnboost
07-26-2017, 01:56 PM
General question: I have a Stroker 402 ls swap and wondering how many out there are running cooling panels in their cars. Top and bottom. Reason I ask is because at idle or in heavy traffic my engine temps will creep very slowly 1 degree every two or so minutes which tells me I may have a engine heat ventilation issue. Once i start driving temps subside back to 180-190 Ish. Here are my cooling ancillaries.

-Mishi radiator
-Two dual spal 12 inch puller fans approx 4K cfm. On at 185 off at 170
-160 motorad t stat
-gto water pump.
-rear blocked off coolant lines front connected to overflow tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysnboost
07-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Forgot to add once the hood is popped the temps drop down to 195 steady

tuzzio
07-27-2017, 07:50 AM
I would assume that cooling panels only will help while driving, not while sitting.

Tiles
07-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Do you have a shroud for the fans or are they just mounted directly to the radiator?

QTR FMS
07-30-2017, 12:23 AM
im just wondering what is your oil temperature?

jdm213
07-30-2017, 01:10 AM
No only that u shouldn't be using cooling panels to fix it issue I should fix why it's creeping up in the first place

Kingtal0n
07-30-2017, 01:45 AM
4 steam ports need to run to the top tank of the radiator. Do not block rear steam port lines.
if not running a heater core, block the heater lines in the water pump with tap and plug. Do not loop.

Use high quality fans, I used Altima 93-97 fans (ebay $75) and a throw-away aluminum radiator (ebay $90) and my LS swap stays cool running only 1 fan. And I am single turbo, exhaust pipe runs all over the engine bay.

alwaysnboost
07-30-2017, 06:01 AM
Do you have a shroud for the fans or are they just mounted directly to the radiator?

I do have fan shrouds

alwaysnboost
07-30-2017, 06:06 AM
4 steam ports need to run to the top tank of the radiator. Do not block rear steam port lines.
if not running a heater core, block the heater lines in the water pump with tap and plug. Do not loop.

Use high quality fans, I used Altima 93-97 fans (ebay $75) and a throw-away aluminum radiator (ebay $90) and my LS swap stays cool running only 1 fan. And I am single turbo, exhaust pipe runs all over the engine bay.

Thank you for this information. I'm still running a heater core so I don't need to block the lines. As far as the steam port the two towards the front of the motor are joined and ran to my expansion tank. Are you saying the rears need to be joined and ran to the expansion tank too?

One more question: what is your current engine temp at idle and while cruising?