PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer not working

Edyz7s
08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
My s13 speedometer has never worked properly. Sometimes it would work, but then it would just stop all of a sudden. And lately it hasn't been working. Usually I would have to smack the dash to make it start again but that doesn't seem to work anymore :-/ Everything on the dash works besides the speedometer. What's up with my speedo?

kruked
09-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Whelp, what kind of speedometer do you have? Digital or analog?

Edyz7s
09-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Whelp, what kind of speedometer do you have? Digital or analog?

Its analog

kruked
09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
What engine do you have? Which analog do you have, SOHC or DOHC?

Edyz7s
09-01-2014, 11:18 AM
What engine do you have? Which analog do you have, SOHC or DOHC?

Its a ka24de, and the analog should be DOHC right? My 240 is from year 91

kruked
09-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Correct.

The only thing that I could recommend would be to acquire another analog speedometer and see if it functions properly. It's a possibility that yours is near its deathbed. If the problem still persist, than there could be a wiring problem. Highly doubtful though. It's probably just the speedometer is shot.

Edyz7s
09-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Correct.

The only thing that I could recommend would be to acquire another analog speedometer and see if it functions properly. It's a possibility that yours is near its deathbed. If the problem still persist, than there could be a wiring problem. Highly doubtful though. It's probably just the speedometer is shot.

And by that do you mean getting another cluster? Or actually getting another speedometer? I wouldn't know how to switch that. I do know how to remove the cluster though.

kruked
09-02-2014, 05:31 AM
If it is being shipped, I would by the entire cluster. Some people don't consider how fragile things are. If you can get it locally, buy just the meter. On most days, the entire clusters don't go for more than $50.

It's easy to change the meter. Split the black half from the white half. Grab a Philips screw driver. On the back of the cluster, behind the speedometer, there are 4 screws holding it in place. The screws are in a 4 square box pattern. Shouldn't be too difficult to determine the location. When you unscrew the last screw, the meter well fall right out, so be ready to catch it.

Edyz7s
09-02-2014, 05:57 PM
If it is being shipped, I would by the entire cluster. Some people don't consider how fragile things are. If you can get it locally, buy just the meter. On most days, the entire clusters don't go for more than $50.

It's easy to change the meter. Split the black half from the white half. Grab a Philips screw driver. On the back of the cluster, behind the speedometer, there are 4 screws holding it in place. The screws are in a 4 square box pattern. Shouldn't be too difficult to determine the location. When you unscrew the last screw, the meter well fall right out, so be ready to catch it.

Thank you I will try to look around my city if I can just the meter. Hopefully getting that replaced will fix that problem :)