PDA

View Full Version : I know, another one. Sr vs ls.

civicej8
05-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Guys. This shit has been beaten to death. I've looked at every thread possible. I'm about to bite the bullet on a Ls swap. This is the question....

Which is more fun? I know this is very subjective. All the threads I've seen are bench racers posting up. Has anyone ridden in both and can tell me which is more exciting. Flame if ya want. Thanks to those to help.

Frank_Jaeger
05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
More torque = more fun

Seraphim38
05-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I love my built SR setup, but for the money I have had to spend on it to get it to 450rwhp+ on pump gas (sleeved mazworks build, solid lifter head, Full Race + Garrett GTX), I should have gone to a supercharged or turbocharged LSx. The LSx has no lag; power everywhere, and sounds cooler. Resale value is higher.

fliprayzin240sx
05-06-2014, 09:55 PM
All a matter of preference...only one who can make that decision for yourself is you. For you to do that, you'd need to atleast ride with them to make up your mind.

Personally, I've always liked turbo engines.

Frank_Jaeger
05-06-2014, 10:28 PM
What he's trying to say is get the LS and turbo it.

civicej8
05-08-2014, 05:47 AM
What he's trying to say is get the LS and turbo it.

Hardcore right there ! I've ridden in a ls1 rx7 years ago. It was wild!! But that was when 13 sec cars were fast lol. Been trying to find someone in my area with a ls swap but its tough. Or they have a sr t25 pushing 8psi.

indomiekid1
05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
ha, i was in the same boat, but i choose the sr, just couldn't pull the money to the ls swap, plus i wasn't looking for crazy power. but if you got the monies i'd go ls.
and again. personal choice. ha good luck.

niscur29
05-08-2014, 06:58 AM
It comes down to budget man. Figure on 10k for a complete running ls swap from craddle to grave. Hell the t56 alone costs what an entire sr motorset would. It's worth it though, the sound, instant power, tuners are everywhere, aftermarket support is insane and cheap. Etc etc etc. It's amazing how a cam and tune can wake these motors up.

Rayne
05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
More torque = more fun

If that is the case. Turbo charge the stock engine.

civicej8
05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
It comes down to budget man. Figure on 10k for a complete running ls swap from craddle to grave. Hell the t56 alone costs what an entire sr motorset would. It's worth it though, the sound, instant power, tuners are everywhere, aftermarket support is insane and cheap. Etc etc etc. It's amazing how a cam and tune can wake these motors up.

Going into my swap.. Its racking up to about 8k. I still haven't bought some of the essentials I'll need. And I'm not even going crazy with it. Clutch flywheel is 700,
New slave cylinder 100
Fuel pump 100
Mount kit 2800
Harness 750

It sure does add up. Other than that. I just wanted an honest review of the ls swap. I actually drove a camaro ss 2012, and the motor felt good... But wasn't impressed. I just hope shaving off 1300+ pounds can make a difference lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Highway Riding
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I went from a Z33 to a SR powered topnotch S14 and the loss of torque was not fun at all but the top end was fun as was tossing the thing around. With that said if you neva had torque before then you won't be disappointed with a SR powered S chassis. Now the torque from a LS will be a blast but maybe not so much on the highway. Really depends on your style of driving or preferred driving locations IE: Higway vs mountains etc.. I know have a 2jzgte powered sc300 :)

civicej8
05-09-2014, 09:56 AM
I went from a Z33 to a SR powered topnotch S14 and the loss of torque was not fun at all but the top end was fun as was tossing the thing around. With that said if you neva had torque before then you won't be disappointed with a SR powered S chassis. Now the torque from a LS will be a blast but maybe not so much on the highway. Really depends on your style of driving or preferred driving locations IE: Higway vs mountains etc.. I know have a 2jzgte powered sc300 :)

That's the kind of response I like!

2jz= best of both worlds!

dudermagee
05-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Instant torque = Instant fun

This could also be said ;)

I've had both, I love my LS.

Going to do another budget swap this summer with a cressida.

Scherz Daddy
05-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I have well under 10k in my LS swap and love it. Super reliable, stock motor with plenty of power. Swap an cam and head and you're making stupid power easily.

LS motor, you can buy parts at any local auto parts store or upgrades easily from summit or craigslist. When you break something, you're up and running in hours, not days. SR20, you wait a week to have parts shipped to you.

I've never personally had an SR20, but my buddy had tons of issues when parts would break. That was 10 years ago, so I'm sure its a lot easier now to get parts...but thats my $0.02

civicej8
05-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys... Ended up buying the fueled racing kit and a ls1. We'll see how it feels!

I have pretty much been driving turbo 4 cylinders and I enjoy them a lot. But at least if I swap the ls in and don't like it. I can sell it. But that probably won't happen lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kingtal0n
05-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Displacement always wins unless it means less potential. In other words, it would not be practical to install a V8 with oem internals only capable of supporting 400bhp. That would defeat the purpose.

Frank_Jaeger
05-25-2014, 05:29 PM
In other words, it would not be practical to install a V8 with oem internals only capable of supporting 400bhp. That would defeat the purpose.
Kingtal0n strikes again!

Ka-t in progress
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM
^what he said. 400hp na will always be faster than 400hp boosted. Some may disagree. I've got a built sr now,so far I love it,but it's no ls lol