PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET pops out of 4th

Nikzilla
04-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Another thread for another issue. Just finished a rebuild of my SR.

I did 3 tranny mods:

resurfaced flywheel
spec stage 2 clutch with new pilot bushing and throwout bearing
new excedy slave cylinder
curcuit sport V2 shifter

During this whole process, I lost a checkball that goes on the left side of the shifter housing. I couldn't figure out why the tranny needed that checkball as it seemed to have no purpose, so I continued without it.

Now it pops out of 4th. I can actually feel the shifter move back when I accelerate and move forward until it pops out when I decelerate.

Does the checkball have anything to do with this or do I need another tranny?

jr_ss
04-18-2014, 06:31 PM
If it's an interlock ball, aka gear detent ball, you'll definitely have issues with it coming out of gear. I'd see about finding and replacing the ball or grabbing another transmission. I would think finding a BB that will work would be your best bet if you have a known good transmission.

Nikzilla
04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
If it's an interlock ball, aka gear detent ball, you'll definitely have issues with it coming out of gear. I'd see about finding and replacing the ball or grabbing another transmission. I would think finding a BB that will work would be your best bet if you have a known good transmission.

Thank you for the reply.

Here is a page from the FSM showing where the checkball I lost is.

http://i.imgur.com/8w5dStX.png

Is that the gear detent ball that you are talking about?

Nikzilla
05-13-2014, 01:39 AM
I replaced the checkball but the issue still persists.

It does go in smoother now though. When I didn't have the checkball, it would sometimes grind or go in rough into 4th. Now it goes in smoothly but still pops out when I decelerate.

WERDdabuilder
05-13-2014, 01:48 AM
Check the rubber boot to see if it's on the correct way? Happened to me while back and it was my boot. Just throwing it out there.

Nikzilla
05-13-2014, 01:56 AM
Check the rubber boot to see if it's on the correct way? Happened to me while back and it was my boot. Just throwing it out there.

I'll try driving it with the boot off.

I did put in a Curcuit Sport V2 shifter, could that be causing this? It feels like the gear goes in all the way though.

WERDdabuilder
05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
The specific boot im talking about is the rubber trans boot(the 6th item labeled on the right image). http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-74960-35F00-JP-Genuine-OEM-Transmission-Rubber-Shifter-Boot-180SX-240SX_p_8182.html that thing. Unscrew it and turn it around to make sure it's on correctly.

And about the short shifter install, no clue since I haven't installed one myself.

Nikzilla
05-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I haven't checked it yet, but I'm pretty sure I have it the right way. I installed it so that it was leaning toward the back of the car. I'll check to make sure today though.

Nikzilla
05-14-2014, 03:10 AM
Ok, I just took the car for a spin without the boot.

The issue persisted.

Some new things I noticed though:
When I lift off in 4th, the shifter moves forward about half an inch, and when I apply throttle again, it moves back half an inch. The popout occurs usually when I'm coasting at about 2,000 RPM.

Any more ideas or should I start tranny shopping? :'(

On a sidenote, my clutch started squeaking. The squeaking is coming from the bell housing.