PDA

View Full Version : replaced headgasket, IT DIDNT SEAL ka24de s13

hollerjeet
03-02-2014, 03:20 AM
Hey i have a 92 ka24de hatch. all stock. The motor (head and block) have stamps on them indicating that they have been re manufactured or rebuilt sometime ago. I bought the car with a blown head gasket, the car started and idled and drove fine but puffed out thick thick thick white smoke as it warmed up. I took the head off, checked the old head gasket and it did not look to be noticeably blown anywhere, looked pretty good actually. I took the head to be resurfaced and pressured tested, when I got it back I installed it with a new felpro head gasket and head bolts. The car started no problem but it still puffs out white smoke like crazy!!! just like before.

I pulled the spark plugs to inspect and i found green coolant on spark plugs 1 and 4. 2 and 3 where dry and good.

what should i do? the only problem i think caused this is, i had to reposition the head gasket after i torqued it down (it was torqued for 5 mins) because the timing cover bolts would not line up with the head gasket bolt holes, so i loosed it, reposition it a tad bit and re torqued it. would this cause the head gasket to not seal properly?

foreverdeath
03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Head gaskets can't be reused normally, onced they are torqued the rye used. Did you torque it properly? You can proably take it off copper apart it and she'll seal.

hollerjeet
03-02-2014, 01:28 PM
yes, it was torqued properly in the sequence given in the fsm. would you think the block or head is not properly straight? Do I need to resurface the head again before i put the new head gasket now?

Chaluska
03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
if you didnt run the car, the headgasket doesnt see combustion pressure.. the headgasket should still be ok.

hollerjeet
03-03-2014, 10:48 AM
ah, good point there Chaluska, but why wouldnt it seal then?

Im pulling the motor out again soon. should i get anything checked while i have it out and apart again?

hollerjeet
03-09-2014, 07:11 PM
im going to spray the new felpro head gasket with copper, hopefully it seals. do i need to get the head resurfaced again?

Ka-t in progress
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Take your radiator cap off and crank the motor over. Pull the fuel pump fuse or unplug the distributor,look and see if coolant bubbles out of the radiator. Also have u looked at the intake gasket? Possible even a water jacket issue.

Chaluska
03-10-2014, 09:43 PM
you sure it wasn't a ton of water collected in the exhaust pipe steaming out with the exhaust?

i find it hard to believe that a brand new felpro gasket wouldn't fix the problem.

did you do a compression test? cylinder leak down test?

kruked
03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
im going to spray the new felpro head gasket with copper, hopefully it seals. do i need to get the head resurfaced again?

I can't seem to figure out why none of these fucktards can answer your question other than that they are not fully reading your post.

The answer is, "no, you do not need to resurface the head".

supasan
03-12-2014, 01:41 PM
did you install the headgasket backwards? so its not sealing properly? check the block to see if its warped.

Kingtal0n
03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
the fsm outlines a proceedure for checking the straightness of the head and deck prior to installation of a new headgasket. Did you do this?

Furthermore, how did you prep the surfaces?

And also, did you follow FSM torque proceedure? Did you check the stretch of the OEM bolts? Nobody does...

For $450~ You can find a complete KA24DE with 120,000-150,000 miles from a 95+ model 240sx and swap it in. Thats your best bet.

Chaluska
03-13-2014, 07:38 PM
I can't seem to figure out why none of these fucktards can answer your question other than that they are not fully reading your post.

because that answer is obvious... :facepalm:

hollerjeet
03-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Take your radiator cap off and crank the motor over. Pull the fuel pump fuse or unplug the distributor,look and see if coolant bubbles out of the radiator. Also have u looked at the intake gasket? Possible even a water jacket issue.

if you read my first post, i stated there is coolant on the spark plugs, and its puffing out more smoke than a fog machine. there's no doubt its the hg. as for water jacket in the head or block? im not sure, the block seems to be fine, as it is re-manufactured & the head has been checked by the machine shop.

you sure it wasn't a ton of water collected in the exhaust pipe steaming out with the exhaust?

i find it hard to believe that a brand new felpro gasket wouldn't fix the problem.

did you do a compression test? cylinder leak down test?

Im sure its coolant friend. it idles fine, but it has no power when i give it gas, like its only firing on 2 cylinders ( the ones that are not leaking). this is my second hg install, the first one went smooth and is holding up perfectly which is why i bought felpro again (head gasket and head bolts). there is no need for a compression test, there is green coolant dripping from when i pull out the spark plugs from numbers 1 and 4 indicating those are blown. 2,3 are fine. thats why i didnt do a leak down test or compression. im sure 2 and 3 are normal and 1 and 4 are crap. Im still going to buy felpro hg and head bolts as the replacement, no bad rep to them. im assuming i did something wrong here.

lol, thank you. they're just trying to help, but yeah, it helps a shit load more when you actual read the questions/posts.

did you install the headgasket backwards? so its not sealing properly? check the block to see if its warped.

theres only one way to install the hg my friend. if its backwards then the front upper timing cover bolts wont line up at all. If someone installs a hg backwards.. they shouldn't be working on cars. as for the block being warped, im sure the aluminum head would warp before the iron block, i inspected the cross hairs on every cylinder and they are perfect.

the fsm outlines a proceedure for checking the straightness of the head and deck prior to installation of a new headgasket. Did you do this?

Furthermore, how did you prep the surfaces?

And also, did you follow FSM torque proceedure? Did you check the stretch of the OEM bolts? Nobody does...

For $450~ You can find a complete KA24DE with 120,000-150,000 miles from a 95+ model 240sx and swap it in. Thats your best bet.

the head was sent to the machine shop for a resurface (straightness check) and pressure check( for cracks and valve leakage). when i got it back, they said the head is straight, no leaks, no problems. as for the torque procedures, i followed the fsm dead on. like ive said earlier, this isnt my first rodeo. the only thing i did differently was after i torqued the head to proper level, i loosed it to reposition the hg a hair. but i followed the torque sequence and numbers straight from the fsm when i re-torqued it. as for stretch bolts, the head bolts where brand new from felpro, i did not check them but i assumed they are within spec. im not looking for another motor when this one has less than 50k on it and just a unsealed hg. plus i would rather rebuild this and learn.

cotbu
03-14-2014, 08:26 PM
usually there is evidence on the oem type head gaskets the water or oil take when the gasket leaks. just examine it, you might see something there. You can also tell if it was the head side or the block side unless the fire ring pealed or blew out. g\l

hollerjeet
03-15-2014, 10:17 PM
usually there is evidence on the oem type head gaskets the water or oil take when the gasket leaks. just examine it, you might see something there. You can also tell if it was the head side or the block side unless the fire ring pealed or blew out. g\l

when i pulled the head gasket the first time, i expected it to be shot but to my surprise there was nothing clearly wrong with it, it looked to be in great shape and not blown. Im expecting the same results with the felpro im about to pull out. Hopefully there is a clear signal that its leaking coolant around cylinders 1 and 4. ill post pictures this weekend when i got it out.

03-16-2014, 10:40 AM
felpro is the problem... get a nissan hg heh

914Slide
04-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Oem + copper = :snoop: