PDA

View Full Version : Formula D horsepower race out of control?

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
I for one think it is. I don't have a good solution I just don't like it. I'm all for horsepower but 1100+ being the norm makes the sport so unattainable for any privateer.

Thoughts? What realistic rules could be implemented?

hotlavaflow
02-10-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm with you, it's getting crazy. Forget about preserving the grassroots nature of drifting. Might as well be NASCAR now.

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm with you, it's getting crazy. Forget about preserving the grassroots nature of drifting. Might as well be NASCAR now.

Well top end FD cars have 400 more hp than Nascar haha. The only motorsport that I can think of that consistently has more power is drag racing.

GSXRJJordan
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Well top end FD cars have 400 more hp than Nascar haha. The only motorsport that I can think of that consistently has more power is drag racing.

Yeah man, watching Winter Nationals, those dudes have 10,000hp now!

Formula D will take two, or maybe three years to top that. :2f2f:

simmode1
02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
I think they need to make a Street Class like D1 did. Car must be street-legal, restrict engine selection to the same manufacturer of the chassis and prohibit tube chassis.

Then institute displacement/horsepower limits based on a skill classification system, like the old JGTC/Super GT series: Have a pro-am class limited to 300hp and a Pro-class limited to 500hp.

I don't have a problem with V8's... as long as they're in the car it's supposed to be in. I don't wanna go to an event and not hear a single turbo spooling or bov chirping.

I mean, look at Drift Muscle... Didn't they impose strict rules to keep all the crazy over the top engine/chassis builds out so that it would become another D1 because it became nearly impossible to break into the sport due to the cost?

vas570sx
02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
^ im with all of that

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2014, 04:32 PM
I think they need to restrict engine selection to the same manufacturer of the chassis.

Then institute displacement/horsepower limits based on a skill classification system, like the old JGTC/Super GT series: Have a pro-am class limited to 300hp and a Pro-class limited to 500hp.

I don't think the manufacturer engine thing is a good idea either. That makes it even harder for teams to make reliable horsepower with marketable platforms which is important. Lets not forget that FD is a business and there is a lot more going on than drifting.

Also a simple horsepower cap wouldn't be easy to enforce either. Would you have a dyno at every event and have random dyno pulls? I think it would need to be a more fundamental change to how the cars are built.

Corbic
02-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I for one think it is. I don't have a good solution I just don't like it. I'm all for horsepower but 1100+ being the norm makes the sport so unattainable for any privateer.

Should we change the rules to F1 so broke asses can race in that too?

Corbic
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
] Would you have a dyno at every event and have random dyno pulls? I think it would need to be a more fundamental change to how the cars are built.

Thats how other race series run.

deolio
02-10-2014, 04:40 PM
fd isn't going to change.

what is needed is a drift series that focuses on good style and driving instead of seeing who can outrun the follow car.

spooled240
02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I don't even go to the FD events anymore. I just go to the drag strip and see a bunch of camaros and mustangs in the burnout box instead...it's cheaper and less crowded.

simmode1
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't think the manufacturer engine thing is a good idea either. That makes it even harder for teams to make reliable horsepower with marketable platforms which is important. Lets not forget that FD is a business and there is a lot more going on than drifting.
Somehow, Drift Muscle makes it work.

If everyone wants LSx's, I'd rather see a whole field of Camaro's, Vettes & GTO's than swapped RX7's, Silvia's and whatever... I mean, what exactly are you marketing in a fucking 240 and other 20+ year old shit? You wanna talk cheap/reliable power? Why not just leave the fucking engine in the car it's supposed to be in and go race that? Less shit to fab up, less shit to break and easier parts selection.

Be for real now... You can strip down and prep a C6 Vette or Camaro for less time & money than it takes to build a competitive LSx 240.

Seriously, I don't enjoy Formula D for the same reason I don't enjoy Nascar: those cars have ZERO connection to what you'd see in the dealership or on the street.

When those V8 powered RWD Scion TC's hit the scene, I completely lost interest in FD bullshit.

Corbic
02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
If everyone wants LSx's, I'd rather see a whole field of Camaro's, Vettes & GTO's than swapped RX7's, Silvia's and whatever... You wanna talk cheap/reliable power? Why not just leave the fucking engine in the car it's supposed to be in and go race that? Less shit to fab up, less shit to break and easier parts selection.

But then you don't have a JDM-Tyte Yo car.

EnjukuBG
02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

I would like to hear WHY you(since you're the OP) think it's out of control?

spooled240
02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
well, an FD for instance is a lot lighter than a camaro. It's pretty hard to beat an LS and these race teams don't really care about JDM tyte sr20's/rotaries/etc.

There simply needs to be a HP cap and perhaps a few HP brackets different cars can compete in

EnjukuBG
02-10-2014, 05:15 PM
well, an FD for instance is a lot lighter than a camaro. It's pretty hard to beat an LS and these race teams don't really care about JDM tyte sr20's/rotaries/etc.

There simply needs to be a HP cap and perhaps a few HP brackets different cars can compete in

There is a tire size cap. So if you have a 1000 hp car that weighs 2200 pounds you're limited to a smaller tire, so you may not have 1000 usable HP.

HP Brackets is pretty silly, but they are now doing a Pro 2 series for the "little" guys who need to know what they're trying to get into, before they get into it.

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2014, 05:20 PM

They are introducing price caps in 2015 haha. Also FD cars have 500hp more than F1 now a days.

Be for real now... You can strip down and prep a C6 Vette or Camaro for less money than it takes to build a competitive LSx 240.

I'm not sure this is accurate or you would see a lot more of them.

I would like to hear WHY you(since you're the OP) think it's out of control?

I just think that there is no limit. I like the chassis development and all the technology that has come in the last few years but there is a limit to that and it still leaves the skill in the sport. At some point you just get outspent by the top teams and pulling to the line you know that even before initiation you are going to be 4 cars behind.

Once again this isn't from personal experience, it's just opinion.

Matej
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
F1 is the strictest as far rules go in order for them to be 'fair' on every team. All the engines are more or less the same. That is what makes it exciting to see what kind of engineering magic the teams come up with to get the most out of the engines and cars and still meet the rules. Technological progress is made when limits and boundaries are present.
Not to mention, when the machines are similar, a lot more importance is placed on actual driver skill.

Not that I really care about Formula D. I do not think FD itself cares about being a legitimate motorsport. It is just a circus for bros to go take Instagram pictures, and as soon as Red Bull and Monster find a more trendy venture to invest in, it will die.

EnjukuBG
02-10-2014, 05:51 PM
They are introducing price caps in 2015 haha. Also FD cars have 500hp more than F1 now a days.

I'm not sure this is accurate or you would see a lot more of them.

I just think that there is no limit. I like the chassis development and all the technology that has come in the last few years but there is a limit to that and it still leaves the skill in the sport. At some point you just get outspent by the top teams and pulling to the line you know that even before initiation you are going to be 4 cars behind.

Once again this isn't from personal experience, it's just opinion.

F1 cars are really small with really sticky tires.

The limitation to the power is the tire size. If you have a team that can develop your chassis to make a 265 useable with 1000hp, that just means you have a better team. All racing series go through evolution or growth, and all teams grow/evolve with said series. If you can't keep up, sit back until you can figure out how.

benarovi
02-10-2014, 05:56 PM
fd isn't going to change.

what is needed is a drift series that focuses on good style and driving instead of seeing who can outrun the follow car.

this. I hate fd. shit is so booring to watch its like nascar. all about how fast you can go.

benarovi
02-10-2014, 06:02 PM
not to mention how fucking ugly the cars are. sorry I like seeing cool cars sideways

spooled240
02-10-2014, 06:11 PM
The limitation to the power is the tire size. If you have a team that can develop your chassis to make a 265 useable with 1000hp, that just means you have a better team. All racing series go through evolution or growth, and all teams grow/evolve with said series. If you can't keep up, sit back until you can figure out how.

Tire cap or not, I think we've all seen these 1000+ hp cars get an enormous head start on the car with less hp. Then the losing teams go back to the drawing board and decide they need a v8 to even compete..thus creating ///DRIFTING

Corbic
02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
F1 is the strictest as far rules go in order for them to be 'fair' on every team. All the engines are more or less the same. That is what makes it exciting to see what kind of engineering magic the teams come up with to get the most out of the engines and cars and still meet the rules. Technological progress is made when limits and boundaries are present.
Not to mention, when the machines are similar, a lot more importance is placed on actual driver skill.

Not that I really care about Formula D. I do not think FD itself cares about being a legitimate motorsport. It is just a circus for bros to go take Instagram pictures, and as soon as Red Bull and Monster find a more trendy venture to invest in, it will die.

I have to disagree. F1 is rather boring these days. But that's not the problem.

F1 is one of the most expensive race series to enter. F1's rules are to make it competitive and safe. The rules are not designed to make it cheap ore accessible.

The OP has yet to explain why having

1000hp cars is bad. He's only attempt at that is saying it makes it hard for privateers. My response is - so what.

It's the top-tier pro-drift racing series. It should not be easily accessible to broke kids and private tiers.

That's like saying the NBA should lower the baskets and make the hoops bigger, maybe add a height restriction - so you know, "Normal size" people have a chance to play too.

Besides - the car is never the real expense of racing. It's the transportation, parts, service, tires, wheels, techs, gas, the fact that you are on the road and not at work, lodging, food et al that is the real cost.

Once FD starts having fatalities or massive team drop outs because of costs, then you'll see some significant changes - just like in NASCAR and F1.

I had a buddy that tried to go Pro-MX when he was 16/17. The family spent like 85k in two seasons. When it didn't happen the second season, he was done. The $15k bike was a drop in the bucket.

So wether you have a $50k race car or a $200k car, it's a drop in the bucket.

Corbic
02-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Tire cap or not, I think we've all seen these 1000+ hp cars get an enormous head start on the car with less hp. Then the losing teams go back to the drawing board and decide they need a v8 to even compete..thus creating ///DRIFTING

And what is wrong with that?

hobbs
02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

They already did that back in 1989, turbo engines were too expensive. Damn shame if you ask me, 1985-1988 had some awesome cars.

http://youtu.be/Iu8RJZVw0Ao?t=10m35s

TMW
02-10-2014, 09:12 PM
I think they need to make a Street Class like D1 did.

this. msglength

singlecamslam
02-10-2014, 09:23 PM
A street legal class would be awesome, but in california it would be nothing but stock KA's.

gbaby2089
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Everything done in F1 in the last few years has been to 'boost competitiveness' and 'cut costs.'

Do they do either of these things? Probably not, but they think they're trying.

kpnasty
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM
ill just hit the ground running here, formula D fucking sucks. I'd watch 100hp corollas any day of the week, over some autopilot driving, ugly sounding, ugly looking cars.

street legal, drift muscle, etc. would be awesome here, but everyone forgot drifting is about looking good, accessorizing yo whip, and neons and strobes.... fucking BOOORIINNG.

spooled240
02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
And what is wrong with that?

the second car tries to play catch up by drifting shitty. Drifting used to be about style, not speed

Corbic
02-11-2014, 10:26 AM
the second car tries to play catch up by drifting shitty. Drifting used to be about style, not speed

I've watched every episode of Inital D.

It's all about speed. If you are not first, you are last.

Maybe you guys b should just lobby to make it like figure skating.

Have a pannel of judges vote based on how cool he drove, how badass asks low his car is and how well it worked with the music he choose.

Then we can have both singles and pairs!

Corbic
02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
ill just hit the ground running here, formula D fucking sucks. I'd watch 100hp corollas any day of the week, over some autopilot driving, ugly sounding, ugly looking cars.

street legal, drift muscle, etc. would be awesome here, but everyone forgot drifting is about looking good, accessorizing yo whip, and neons and strobes.... fucking BOOORIINNG.

And you forgot that racing is about winning.

spooled240
02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I've watched every episode of Inital D.

It's all about speed. If you are not first, you are last.

Have a pannel of judges vote based on how cool he drove, how badass asks low his car is and how well it worked with the music he choose.

I also watched Initial D and I guarantee you the show would not have been as popular as it was if Takumi was drifting in a ugly ass rwd scion tc with 1000+ hp against 400hp production cars..it's just not fun to watch.

Corbic
02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I also watched Initial D and I guarantee you the show would not have been as popular as it was if Takumi was drifting in a ugly ass rwd scion tc with 1000+ hp against 400hp production cars..it's just not fun to watch.

Tell the losers in the 400hp broke ass rides to man up and make 1000hp.

KevinEdgar
02-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Competitive drifting in general is just lame. Build your car, go have fun, and go home.

Personally I do it for the fun, my car is riced out, decent looking, and most importantly, BUILT BY ME.

also: if its not making you money, don't go broke doing it.

spooled240
02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
then keiske swaps a LS in his FD because that little 13b won't cut it. Then throws on some red bull graphics and american racing wheels.

gay.

gbaby2089
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
And you forgot that racing is about winning.

When did drifting become racing?

Corbic
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM

When was it not?

DJPimpFlex
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Competitive drifting in general is just lame. Build your car, go have fun, and go home.

Personally I do it for the fun, my car is riced out, decent looking, and most importantly, BUILT BY ME.

also: if its not making you money, don't go broke doing it.

I appreciate your opinion but for me drifting is ALL ABOUT competition. I love battling with friends.

DJPimpFlex
02-11-2014, 11:50 AM

Drifting isn't racing in the strictest definition but it definitely is a competition and there are winners and losers and money on the line. For most people in FD having a ugly car that wins is more important than having a slammed car that doesn't win.

75bluemage
02-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Somehow, Drift Muscle makes it work.

If everyone wants LSx's, I'd rather see a whole field of Camaro's, Vettes & GTO's than swapped RX7's, Silvia's and whatever... I mean, what exactly are you marketing in a fucking 240 and other 20+ year old shit? You wanna talk cheap/reliable power? Why not just leave the fucking engine in the car it's supposed to be in and go race that? Less shit to fab up, less shit to break and easier parts selection.

Be for real now... You can strip down and prep a C6 Vette or Camaro for less time & money than it takes to build a competitive LSx 240.

Seriously, I don't enjoy Formula D for the same reason I don't enjoy Nascar: those cars have ZERO connection to what you'd see in the dealership or on the street.

When those V8 powered RWD Scion TC's hit the scene, I completely lost interest in FD bullshit.

That tc had a stock motor just like the tomei brz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

gbaby2089
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Its a competition, but its definitely not a race.

EnjukuBG
02-11-2014, 12:47 PM

You realize a 2jz is the reason why everyone is pushing for 1000hp right? Daigo came in guns blazing with that 2jz Lexus and destroyed everyone. Cause and effect man. The effect from Daigo's rocketship is what you're seeing today. So who's to blame?

EnjukuBG
02-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Also, Aasbo's Scion is arguably one of the fastest cars in FD today, and it's a 4 cylinder. Either way it's still the v8 lovers fault, duh.

DJPimpFlex
02-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Daigo definitely came in and changed American drifting. I'm still not entirely sure weather it was for the better or not. Overall I think he definitely made people raise their driving. Tandems are closer and people drive harder, less sandbagging. From a power perspective it has definitely gotten out of hand IMO but cause and effect like BG said.

vas570sx
02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Also, Aasbo's Scion is arguably one of the fastest cars in FD today, and it's a 4 cylinder. Either way it's still the v8 lovers fault, duh.

what do you know about v8 drift cars? nerd

:kiss:

simmode1
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
That tc had a stock motor just like the tomei brz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
Da fuq are you talking about?!
Tanner Foust's Scion tC Drift Car: V8-Powered, RWD, Ridiculous (http://jalopnik.com/5210004/tanner-fousts-scion-tc-drift-car-v8/@powered-rwd-ridiculous)

I stopped caring after this thing hit the scene. Don't care if Aasabo's is 4 banger... going through all that work to make a FWD into RWD is equally rediculous to me.

I just feel sorry for the dumbass kid who buys a Scion TC thinking he can be build it up to be like Foust's or Aasabo's...

spooled240
02-11-2014, 03:41 PM
You realize a 2jz is the reason why everyone is pushing for 1000hp right? Daigo came in guns blazing with that 2jz Lexus and destroyed everyone. Cause and effect man. The effect from Daigo's rocketship is what you're seeing today. So who's to blame?

That's why there needs to be a power cap. I'm not particularly hating on v8's. The LS swap is badass. It's light, durable and 400 hp out of the box with ample aftermarket support. I just hate how there seems to be a cookie cutter way of building the cars that compete in these events.

I enjoy looking at the cars in the parking lot more than watching the actual event.

1 88 U
02-11-2014, 05:44 PM
D1GP is banning Nos so maybe FD will go that route to handicap Saito.

Speaking of which, Daigo Saito doesn't even use the max width tire for his class and would probably be faster with less hp but his love for killing tires with 1200hp heavy verts or sedans with style trumps having the most "competitive" setup.

Corbic
02-11-2014, 06:52 PM
The LS swap is badass. It's light, durable and 400 hp out of the box with ample aftermarket support. I just hate how there seems to be a cookie cutter way of building the cars that compete in these events.

Just like every defined race series ever? :picardfp:

spooled240
02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
in terms of engine choice? not really..

simmode1
02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Ok, some ppl love the reliability of the LSx and the versitility to put it in any damn chassis.

Some ppl are purists and want to see turbo engines powered JDM cars.

Make everybody happy: Leave FD as it is and create a Street Class to transition drivers from grassroots to Pro-Am to the higher level Pros.

Street class would feature street legal cars only, meaning:
- No tube chassis
- Engine swaps limited to the chassis' manufacturer
- Use of data-logging equipement to impose HP caps based on power to weight ratio.
- No FWD to RWD conversions.

Race it on sunday, sell it on monday. Just my opinion.

Corbic
02-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Ok, some ppl love the reliability of the LSx and the versitility to put it in any damn chassis.

Make everybody happy: Leave FD as it is and create a Street Class to transition drivers from grassroots to Pro-Am to the higher level Pros.

- No tube chassis
- Use of data-logging equipement to impose HP caps based on power to weight ratio.

Maybe that is what needs to happen. Teams go to well defined tube-chassis and use decals to represent the make. This way it's all driver.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/charger2660.jpg

DJPimpFlex
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Maybe that is what needs to happen. Teams go to well defined tube-chassis and use decals to represent the make. This way it's all driver.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/charger2660.jpg

I mean I'm kind of down.....

0t3m_Fl0rxU

carcrazee
02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
I think FD should take a step back and look where drifting came from, making a car look cool and drifting it with style, not trying to make it around the track with hardly any angle as fast as u can, like u can go watch FD drifting on youtube or whatever then go watch D1GP footage and its night and day on how they drive the cars through the track, that's my opinion

EnjukuBG
02-13-2014, 04:18 PM
D1GP is banning Nos so maybe FD will go that route to handicap Saito.

Speaking of which, Daigo Saito doesn't even use the max width tire for his class and would probably be faster with less hp but his love for killing tires with 1200hp heavy verts or sedans with style trumps having the most "competitive" setup.

Why exactly are they banning Nitrous?

I definitely wouldn't call Daigo's SC430 stylish. And regardless if he uses the max tire width or not, that car is SO fast as is.

- No tube chassis

It's not FD's job to make everyone happy, and it's not their job to make a street class to compensate for people who can't build cars that can keep up with the top 16. I don't agree with the same manufacturer engine junk, but I'd love to see someone else start a street league series. But at the end of the day there is no money in that, and a professional series needs money. It's never JUST about racing in ANY race series because money makes the world go round.

All that being said, I'd never spend my own money to try and run that series. I'd rather keep driving the fun way with friends.

AFSil80
02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
All that being said, I'd never spend my own money to try and run that series. I'd rather keep driving the fun way with friends.

Because we all know there's nothing more fun than hitting events and then partying in town with friends.

P.S. What if Heaven was Hell?

simmode1
02-13-2014, 11:12 PM
It's not FD's job to make everyone happy, and it's not their job to make a street class to compensate for people who can't build cars that can keep up with the top 16.
If they lose enough viewers, I'm sure they'll consider alternatives.

But maybe not. They've just traded their JDM fanbase for the Nascar fanbase.

Anyways. I'm not interested. Gonna go watch old Drift Mucsle videos and enjoy my own car. FD has moved too far away from its roots for me to care anymore.

redline racer510
02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
The question we should be asking is what real advantage does a 1000hp car have over say a 600hp car with the same weight?

spooled240
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
^even if it means the 1000hp gets half a car length ahead of the 600hp car that could determine the outcome of the competition.

uraznfriend
02-14-2014, 12:11 PM

i know that your just being sarcastic but i imagine this being really awesome, itll be like blades of glory but with cars haha

Matej
02-14-2014, 01:57 PM
They need to lower the amount of turns. How am I supposed to tell whose car is faster if they have to turn, then switch back, and then sometimes even switch back again? If I wanted to see a motorsport with that high of an amount of turns, I would just watch Nascar.

LMFC
02-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Seriously? FD is supposed to be the top dog as far as drifting in North America is concerned. I want to see factory teams from every manufacturer taking part in this. Make it huge, pack the stands, watch cars developed by teams of engineers rip tires to shreds. If you want grassroots go to a local event and watch some fucking grassroots. This should be a place for the absolute best drivers to pair up with the biggest checkbooks and create a spectacle. Why would you want to handcuff the development of a sport you're a fan of?

OutlawLui
02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
She wants the D

...The formula D

DJPimpFlex
02-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Seriously? FD is supposed to be the top dog as far as drifting in North America is concerned. I want to see factory teams from every manufacturer taking part in this. Make it huge, pack the stands, watch cars developed by teams of engineers rip tires to shreds. If you want grassroots go to a local event and watch some fucking grassroots. This should be a place for the absolute best drivers to pair up with the biggest checkbooks and create a spectacle. Why would you want to handcuff the development of a sport you're a fan of?

For longevity and the overall health of the sport. It is becoming increasingly difficult for rookies to come in and make any impact on the sport. Aasbo's first year in the supra that was rather basic was probably the last time you'll see a car with that small of power and development get into the top 16.

pacotaco345
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Ultimate set of rules

1) Car will be limited to stock transmission, if you're blowing those up you're making too much power. Also heavier cars tend to come with more robust trannys.

2) No tubing aside from front/rear bash bars, core support and cut out front fender wells.

3) No adjustable lower control arms. Boxed and extended OK

4) Car must tuck tire at least

5) No separate/hydro ebrake set up

Corbic
02-14-2014, 03:50 PM

This!!!

msg

LMFC
02-14-2014, 03:52 PM
For longevity and the overall health of the sport. It is becoming increasingly difficult for rookies to come in and make any impact on the sport. Aasbo's first year in the supra that was rather basic was probably the last time you'll see a car with that small of power and development get into the top 16.

Well now they have started a series for rookies to make their entry. The fact of the matter is, in every motorsport, the high dollar factory teams have their place and FD is that place in drifting. Plenty of venues exist for the more budget minded to compete. The highest level requires deep pockets. Accquire sponsors or perish. That is the nature of motorsport.

LMFC
02-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Ultimate set of rules

1) Car will be limited to stock transmission, if you're blowing those up you're making too much power. Also heavier cars tend to come with more robust trannys.

2) No tubing aside from front/rear bash bars, core support and cut out front fender wells.

Stock tranny from whatever engine is in the car? Why would you want to limit people away from tube chassis? This is competition at a very high level, these guys are going FAST shit goes wrong. I want them to be as safe as possible. No adjustable control arms but you can weld an extended arm? Why? Why wouldn't you want competitors to be able to make adjustments on site? Must tuck tire? Are you kidding? No hydro... again, why? These limitations make no sense.

Corbic
02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Ultimate set of rules

No.

Try this on.

Tube Frame Chasis.

If any of you know anything then it's that Street Stock racing is one of the cheapest organized wheel-to-wheel series you can get into. It's also the first step into working your way up to be a pro-NASCAR racer. That is where the $$$ is at.

I've often thought it would be awesome if drifting moved to this model. Street stock was built around the 1980's G-body GM Cars. The Monte Carlo, Buick Skylark and Olds Cutlass. About 10 years ago these cars became harder and harder to get for cheap and in good condition, much like drifting and the S13.

Today most guys run custom spec-built chassis. These all have to follow specific measurements and use specified stock parts - like control arms, steering gear ect.
Custom chasis also typically feature bolt on front and rear sections for easy crash repair and full bolt on bodies.

Something like this is $2,500 new -
http://www.medievalchassis.com/Login/data/upimages/Street_Stock_Photos/Street_Stock-Hardcore.JPG

Body Panels like this aluminum fender are only $95, I priced out a whole body around $700. (front, fenders, doors, roof, rockers, tail, trunk, spoilers).

http://eastcoastspeed.com/images/M67936420.jpg

The end result is this -

http://www.jamestownspeedway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_9810.jpg

A fully legal race car that looks very much like a Monte Carlo, but is easier to work on, lighter, safer and very cheap to keep running.

There is no reason a series could not be created with a similar goal of competitiveness and cost for drifting. Built tube chassis would use stock rear subframes and differentials, stock steering racks and front cross member. The panels would be fiberglass or sheet metal fashioned to look like JDM Silvias and 180SXs. Wheel sizes and tire specs would be mandated.

Engines could be mandated to be Turbo KA, SR, RB20 or CA18, restricted to 300hp, using the stock Nissan 5spd (all 4 use the same trans) and a welded stock rear pumpkin.

Now it's man v man instead of wallet v wallet. Also you could be more gutsy as the cars would be easy to fix for cheap.

DJPimpFlex
02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Well now they have started a series for rookies to make their entry. The fact of the matter is, in every motorsport, the high dollar factory teams have their place and FD is that place in drifting. Plenty of venues exist for the more budget minded to compete. The highest level requires deep pockets. Acquire sponsors or perish. That is the nature of motorsport.

I agree with this. I'm kind of excited to see how the pro2 bracket works out from an exposure and financial level.

LMFC
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
No.

Try this on.

Tube Frame Chasis.

If any of you know anything then it's that Street Stock racing is one of the cheapest organized wheel-to-wheel series you can get into. It's also the first step into working your way up to be a pro-NASCAR racer. That is where the $$$ is at.

I've often thought it would be awesome if drifting moved to this model. Street stock was built around the 1980's G-body GM Cars. The Monte Carlo, Buick Skylark and Olds Cutlass. About 10 years ago these cars became harder and harder to get for cheap and in good condition, much like drifting and the S13.

Today most guys run custom spec-built chassis. These all have to follow specific measurements and use specified stock parts - like control arms, steering gear ect.
Custom chasis also typically feature bolt on front and rear sections for easy crash repair and full bolt on bodies.

http://www.medievalchassis.com/Login/data/upimages/Street_Stock_Photos/Street_Stock-Hardcore.JPG

Body Panels like this aluminum fender are only $95, I priced out a whole body around $700. (front, fenders, doors, roof, rockers, tail, trunk, spoilers).

The end result is this -

A fully legal race car that looks very much like a Monte Carlo, but is easier to work on, lighter, safer and very cheap to keep running.

There is no reason a series could not be created with a similar goal of competitiveness and cost for drifting. Built tube chassis would use stock rear subframes and differentials, stock steering racks and front cross member. The panels would be fiberglass or sheet metal fashioned to look like JDM Silvias and 180SXs. Wheel sizes and tire specs would be mandated.

Engines could be mandated to be Turbo KA, SR, RB20 or CA18, restricted to 300hp, using the stock Nissan 5spd (all 4 use the same trans) and a welded stock rear pumpkin.

Now it's man v man instead of wallet v wallet. Also you could be more gutsy as the cars would be easy to fix for cheap.

That is a fantastic idea! I would love to see some sort of nationwide series for this. While I don't think it should replace FD by any means, something like this could take drifting to the next level. Allow regular dudes to compete and be competitive on the weekends in a very standard chassis setup.

badbob2121
02-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Ultimate set of rules

Worst rules Ive read so far

:picardfp:

Must tuck tire?... Really?

spooled240
02-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Why not a fiberglass shell to keep things lightweight? I also want to see FD as a much larger event with big auto manufacturers participating because the current sponsors simply are not cutting it. I want to see more hp, like 8000 hp. And a lot more fire just to make the crowd go nuts.
I'm thinking of a drift machine similar to this..see look it's a mustang!!
http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20120505/NHRA/120509903/AR/0/AR-120509903.jpg

dftsilvia
02-14-2014, 05:35 PM
formula d should be over the top and crazy. its the TOP level of drifting in the U.S.
if you and your pocket book cant hang wit the big dogs, then go play on your level, or find sponsors like everyone else does in every other form of any kind of racing.
stop crying about it.

PoorMans180SX
02-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I can't even agree with anything posted in this thread.

Tube chassis? For real? Might as well watch spec miata/nascar. The main cool thing about drifting is that it's done in cars the fans can relate to.

Horsepower limits? No, again, not what drifting needs.

Then there are the other 23084290384298374 non-relevant points people brought up...

Anyway, all of you that are saying FD is boring are retarded. D1 Grand Prix is FAR less entertaining to watch, and Drift Muscle is about the same as FD, it's all in your head.

There are two things that Formula D needs:

1. Different track layouts than the sweeper right, sweeper left, hairpin. All the FD tracks favor big power cars. Think about how TINY Meihan is compared to anything here. Big entries come from fast initiations into tight corners.

2. Some type of telemetry to add a non-subjective scoring element other than entry speed.

Conclusion: Take out some of the drama, add some technicality to the track layout so as not to favor the 1000hp guys all the time, and Wham! Very exciting drifting.

DJPimpFlex
02-14-2014, 05:59 PM
There are two things that Formula D needs:

1. Different track layouts than the sweeper right, sweeper left, hairpin. All the FD tracks favor big power cars. Think about how TINY Meihan is compared to anything here. Big entries come from fast initiations into tight corners.

2. Some type of telemetry to add a non-subjective scoring element other than entry speed.

Conclusion: Take out some of the drama, add some technicality to the track layout so as not to favor the 1000hp guys all the time, and Wham! Very exciting drifting.

I like this.

msg

dftsilvia
02-14-2014, 06:00 PM
i'll agree with that. all the tracks in FD are all the same, boring.

Matej
02-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Exactly.
The 'track' is what makes drifting exciting to watch. Then it does not matter how ugly the cars are. I hate the parking lot and giant flat middle-of-nowhere tracks with no scenery or elevation changes or anything exciting.

Poland has the right idea.
http://www.driftmania.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/karpacz-mapa-600x298.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tlcN4YpgPAE/UETuKBVIZuI/AAAAAAAABho/9fWEnql5iqM/s600/trela33.gif

LMFC
02-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Once again, why, at the highest level of competitive drifting, would you not want to see full blown race cars? You want relatable streetish cars go to local events.

PoorMans180SX
02-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Poland has the right idea.

The whole European series is quite good. They do use a lot of telemetry, and if you are used to FD judging you'll think they make some bogus calls. I think there is a happy middle ground somewhere.

Once again, why, at the highest level of competitive drifting, would you not want to see full blown race cars? You want relatable streetish cars go to local events.

Because Indycar, Nascar, and even F1 are SOOOOO exciting to watch, right?

The coolest part about drifting is you can say "Hey, that could be my (insert car make and model) someday". You can see a team that takes a street car and wrings an extremely high amount of performance from it. That's cool. That's what people want to see because that's what no other motorsport can provide them.

Why do you think time attack is getting so popular? The same reason.

1 88 U
02-14-2014, 06:31 PM
All Formula D needs is better judges and better drivers.

PoorMans180SX
02-14-2014, 06:34 PM
All Formula D needs is better judges and better drivers.

Yes, because Mike Essa, Chris Forseberg, and Matt Field all suck at driving right?

I seriously don't understand people...

Corbic
02-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Because Indycar, Nascar, and even F1 are SOOOOO exciting to watch, right?

Tell that to the millions of people that follow the sports and the billions of dollars they make.

The coolest part about drifting is you can say "Hey, that could be my (insert car make and model) someday".

Not really. But if that's your thought process, then I can see why people are but hurt these guys aren't running SR powered S13s.

You can see a team that takes a street car and wrings an extremely high amount of performance from it. That's cool. That's what people want to see because that's what no other motorsport can provide them.

Never heard of the million various GT and Trans AM racing series? What about American Iron Xtreme?

Why do you think time attack is getting so popular? The same reason.

Never heard of it. Are you talking about Solo which has exited for like a hundred thousand years?

Corbic
02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
I can't even agree with anything posted in this thread.

Tube chassis? For real? Might as well watch spec miata/nascar. The main cool thing about drifting is that it's done in cars the fans can relate to.

Horsepower limits? No, again, not what drifting needs.

I wasn't talking about FD, but just low-cost amateur drifting in general. As far as Spec Miata / NASCAR - so what? They are popular because it's honest to god wheel-to-wheel racing. Not dancing around a parking lot in some clapped out piece of shit trying to make bad ass videos to post on the internet.

As far as "relate to", if you can't "relate to" NASCAR, then you just don't have any automotive background.

PS, I've never watched NASCAR race.

PoorMans180SX
02-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Tell that to the millions of people that follow the sports and the billions of dollars they make.

Not really. But if that's your thought process, then I can see why people are but hurt these guys aren't running SR powered S13s.

Never heard of the million various GT and Trans AM racing series? What about American Iron Xtreme?

Soooo because lots of Americans watch Nascar that means it's exciting? Lots of Americans watch baseball on TV as well... Professional Drag Racing seems to make a lot of money as well...

Please tell me more about how many people follow Trans AM racing (or how those are "street cars")...

Or GT racing for that matter...

My point is none of that matters to me, or to anyone I know that likes professional drifting.

Drifting should always be about taking a car, modifying it, and sliding it around corners. It should always start with a street car IMO.

I'd rather watch Nascar from the 70's than Nascar now.

If it ever ends up that guys are sliding around a bunch of tube-chassis spec cars, you can sure bet I won't be watching it.

And I was talking about events such as Redline and World Time Attack. Have you seen the development that goes into those cars now?

1 88 U
02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Yes, because Mike Essa, Chris Forseberg, and Matt Field all suck at driving right?

I seriously don't understand people...

Those guys are fucking awesome but when you have like 6-8 out of 64 drivers that can tandem properly the series sucks.

Cheesy Doriftos
02-14-2014, 09:51 PM
seems like this conversation gets brought up like every year.

how about just don't watch it? i don't follw formula d at all anymore. i couldn't even name you the last 5 formula d series champions off the top of my head.

i used to be in the "OMGZ FORMULA D SUXZ!!!" camp but then again i came to terms that drifting has to evolve and formula d is the evolution of drifting. builds are gonna get bigger and badder. that's just how it goes.

all of us hardcore drifting fanboys wish competition drifting could stay 2000-2003 status forever

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdo2fziyE41rpqn0wo1_400.gif

but let's be honest it's not.

every "motorsport" (i use that term loosely) evolves and drifting is evolving.

i think skateboarding and drifting have a lot of similarities in terms of similar mindset between skaters and drifters. most skaters hate big time corporate skate contest like x-games, dew tour, and more recently street league because they feel that's not what skateboarding really is about, and prefer to watch skate videos of real street skateboarding or smaller skate contest. it's basically the same mentality grassroots drifters have to professional competitive drifting.

the thing is there is a clear divide between fans of corporate skate contest and "underground" skate videos and contest. that's basically the mentally ya'll should have.

let formula d have their ugly 4x4 status 800+ hp V8 240's and ditzy airhead import models who don't give a crap about drifitng while ya'll continue to build slammed 2002 drift tengoku era styled drift cars and make videos of them drifitng in an empty parking dubbed to rap music or post the pictures of your cars on tumblr. :wan:

AFSil80
02-14-2014, 10:21 PM
^ In other words, do it for the love.

Matej
02-15-2014, 12:43 AM
how about just don't watch it? i don't follw formula d at all anymore. i couldn't even name you the last 5 formula d series champions off the top of my head.

i used to be in the "OMGZ FORMULA D SUXZ!!!" camp but then again i came to terms that drifting has to evolve and formula d is the evolution of drifting. builds are gonna get bigger and badder. that's just how it goes.

all of us hardcore drifting fanboys wish competition drifting could stay 2000-2003 status forever
This is the same way that I feel.
Drifting blew up when cars such as Hariguchi's could commonly be seen in random videos and pictures from Japan, so people started imitating them. However, over time they were able to define and 'improve upon' the specific aspects of the cars that they were attracted to, and so the styles and purposes started branching out. On one end they evolved into the stupid Hella Flush Stance turquoise BBS wheels scene, and on the other end we see the silly 'Nascar-style' over-the-top drift race cars. However, those are just the two most extreme ends of the spectrum, while many of us are forever stuck in limbo somewhere in between, not wishing to associate with either scene.

Sforteen
02-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Any upcoming sport evolves, some people dont like it, thats how it is and always will be, competition never slows down someone will always be trying to beat out the next guy, this is how and why this sport and the aftermarket following it develops and manufactors better/more parts.

Ive always enjoyed watching drifting, Its not a sport for my perfectly clean chassis. However, i respect the sport i enjoyed the time of this era in drifting..Im glad i was able to watch this RB powered monster in person at Irwindale in 06

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLRaoZZDiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ACB3dOOEc

1 88 U
02-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Also outside clipping zones kills proximity in Formula D. They need to let the drivers pick the best line for their vehicle and you'll start to see D1 close tandem battles and exciting fights for the apex.

aasorah
03-30-2014, 09:28 PM
I am going to miss the turbo vs v8. The garrett gearheads deal. I do think with the turbo v8's popping up it is going to be difficult for some people to compete. I understand there is no replacement for displacement. but part of the reason I go is to hear the turbo's to hear the cars screaming. the exhaust the sounds, it is all so amazing. If any of you guys bitching have never been to a real live formula d event you have no room to talk. There is nothing like it. In my opinion road Atlanta is the best experience I have ever had. I look forward to it every single year. It is an amazing experience. I love seeing the teams develp every year and I love the style of the cars. They all have amazing liveries. Fully individual not a mainstream color with sponsor logo's. (except falken... boooo!) I love seeing people like ryan tuerck, nate hamilton, matt powers(gonna be missed) Matt Fields, Corey Hosford, and so on. If you go to an event you will see that the drivers are fan based. Its not private security chllin in their big rig. It is drivers running around the paddock chilling with guys signing autographs and creating a good time for the fans. I love drifting and personally compete, so getting to meet a driver is awesome. Seeing the skill and the engineering I love it. As for hp... Only thing I could see is maybe restricting displacement/ aspiration. Such as anything over a 5l cannot be boosted. We will see how this season goes with all the turbo v8's.

xilovelsdx
04-01-2014, 09:57 PM

This. You know its not a legitimate motorsport when the creator themselves refer to everything as "the show".

Russ
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
deleted msglngth

Silverbullet
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
For the fans, it is a show. Look at NASCAR. It is a show. Majority of NASCAR fans aren't even car people. They just like going to the track, getting wasted, and watch loud and fast cars drive for a few hours. It is entertainment.

OBEEWON
04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
What is a Formula D?

Driftwire
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I think they should just run a dif series for amatuer drivers to have a stepping stone to cater to the "grassroots" fans and then they please both ends. But I think the tracks should also add technicality like previously stated that way your 1000hp build doesnt get used properly in those areas. Itll force the teams to tone down on the power and focus on a equal balance of power to cater to both aspects of drifting.

DJPimpFlex
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10150564_737791529584900_1145167875_n.jpg

Okinawandrifter87
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Lol!!!!! ^^

OBEEWON
04-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Haha. FD can get fully bent.

xilovelsdx
04-16-2014, 05:12 PM
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/1de9c51655b865e8e5e41e2a03f68024/tumblr_mw6lwlRyiw1qljj91o1_400.gif

Idk why yall are hatin. Long beach looked fine to me.

DJPimpFlex
04-16-2014, 05:19 PM
http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MikePhillips.NASCAR-620x413.jpg

I wish this was a joke...

brndck
04-16-2014, 11:42 PM
http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/MikePhillips.NASCAR-620x413.jpg

I wish this was a joke...

Worst joke ever. I've given up on American professional drifting. I can no longer say I'm a fan of it, with a few exceptions (Forrest, mats, etc).

DJPimpFlex
04-17-2014, 12:46 AM
Worst joke ever. I've given up on American professional drifting. I can no longer say I'm a fan of it, with a few exceptions (Forrest, mats, etc).

I'm still a huge fan and I like all the monster truck builds but this one is a step to far.

mechanicalmoron
04-17-2014, 01:54 AM
No.

Try this on.

Tube Frame Chasis.

The end result is this -

That is pretty neat.

And buying the s-chassis equivalent for 2500 bucks would be pretty neat.

LEG1T
04-17-2014, 01:26 PM
seems like this conversation gets brought up like every year.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdo2fziyE41rpqn0wo1_400.gif

but let's be honest it's not.

every "motorsport" (i use that term loosely) evolves and drifting is evolving.

i think skateboarding and drifting have a lot of similarities in terms of similar mindset between skaters and drifters. most skaters hate big time corporate skate contest like x-games, dew tour, and more recently street league because they feel that's not what skateboarding really is about, and prefer to watch skate videos of real street skateboarding or smaller skate contest. it's basically the same mentality grassroots drifters have to professional competitive drifting.

the thing is there is a clear divide between fans of corporate skate contest and "underground" skate videos and contest. that's basically the mentally ya'll should have.

let formula d have their ugly 4x4 status 800+ hp V8 240's and ditzy airhead import models who don't give a crap about drifitng while ya'll continue to build slammed 2002 drift tengoku era styled drift cars and make videos of them drifitng in an empty parking dubbed to rap music or post the pictures of your cars on tumblr. :wan:

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1395/92/1395929897159.jpg

AFSil80
04-19-2014, 07:35 PM
I wonder if the redneck hipsters in the 60's rejected NASCAR once it went mainstream and moved way beyond the grassroots movement.

My thing is this...instead of bitching about it, find something else that you're happy to participate in, rather than wasting your time crying about something that you want nothing to do with. In other words, move on and quit worrying about everyone else.

JF_OverBoosted
05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
I think they need to make a Street Class like D1 did. Car must be street-legal, restrict engine selection to the same manufacturer of the chassis and prohibit tube chassis.

I don't have a problem with V8's... as long as they're in the car it's supposed to be in. I don't wanna go to an event and not hear a single turbo spooling or bov chirping.

I mean, look at Drift Muscle... Didn't they impose strict rules to keep all the crazy over the top engine/chassis builds out so that it would become another D1 because it became nearly impossible to break into the sport due to the cost?

lmfao
Many pros / pro-ams decide to go the LS route because it's easy to make power out of it, AND don't forget we're in the US, NOT Japan.
If we broke something on a SR or RB we can't just go to our local parts store to find the part we need... Now unlike an LS swap. Those parts are EVERYWHERE.

Why S13 > Camaro for an LS you say?
Maybe for weight distribution & Power to weight ratio?

ESmorz
05-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Put your money/energy somewhere else and shut the fuck up.

Skidward
05-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Yes, it is out of control...but, what a spectacle! I think that a number of the suggestions made might be helpful (different classes or tiers, horsepower and modification limitations). It is my hope that this great sport can be kept fun, vibrant, and growing.

simmode1
05-19-2014, 07:55 AM
lmfao
Many pros / pro-ams decide to go the LS route because it's easy to make power out of it, AND don't forget we're in the US, NOT Japan.
If we broke something on a SR or RB we can't just go to our local parts store to find the part we need... Now unlike an LS swap. Those parts are EVERYWHERE.

Why S13 > Camaro for an LS you say?
Maybe for weight distribution & Power to weight ratio?

Yes, thank you for me telling stuff I already know. I don't think s-chassis has the advantages you think they do. Look at the top 10 FD drivers of 2013. Anyone relying on the 240+LS combo for superior weight distribution or power to weight ratio? Nope. In fact, the last 2 top tier S-Chassis drivers, Powers & Yoshihara, have either moved to other cars or sat out for this year (probably due to lack of having a competitive car). Lets watch & see how well Forrest Wang does this year.

I'm not bashing 240's. I just think the work & cost involved with building one to compete at that level is likely higher than starting with a LS powered car or similar in the first place. FD history is full of champions winning in cars you would think have inferior weight distortion & power to weight ratio of a s-chassis. Viper, GTO, Mustang, Charger, etc. That's fine if you think you need a v8 to compete. But as a viewer, I don't wanna see small displacement turbo cars die out as the sport moves further away from it's roots. So I stand behind my desire for a class based system to create a category with cars closer to what you'd see on the street, like Drift Muscle or SCCA racing.

As for not being able to find SR or RB parts locally. I don't care. There are turbo cars sold in the US you can have that luxury with. I think working with the engine native to your chassis is the way to push development forward. Hell, look at Essa's E46 M3 and tell me that isn't cool to see the development he put into that S54 turbo. So glad he won the championship without an LS. Must be very inspirational for E46 owners and purists.

spools420a
05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
lost interest as its more a marketing gimmic and not a sport you can go to and have fun,they need more street car amatuer class that average people could attend.as soon as america got into drifting it turned from fun to making money like a nascar event and lost toomuch appeal and lost all its roots.It evolved in the wrong direction now if it could de evolve and be what it used to be...FUN!

simmode1
05-19-2014, 11:06 AM
^^^ Agreed. I have no hope that a street class based system will be established, so I lost interest as well & prefer to focus on amateur level grassroots drifting.

scottie
05-19-2014, 02:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10150564_737791529584900_1145167875_n.jpg

BEST RESPONSE of this entire thread.

FD is what it is. When enough drivers and fans have the same mindset as most in this thread do (about the love of the sport) a new series will arise in popularity.

I agree most of this can simply be solved with vastly different tracks. This is what makes F1 remotely interesting. Half the circuits favor all out speed, the other in cornering/entry/exit speed. So cut the legs out from under the big HP guys by simply making their power useless, and in some cases, overwhelming. As a result you will see different approaches to their chassis/motor combo which could draw purist back to the sport. Teams would have to make some compromise and exercise restraint unlike today.

But lets not "HATE the Player". Formula Drift Judging sucks. It is in their (FD's) benefit to keep the main sponsored drivers in the field right? So if it is close give it to the big names. BUT what is one big component no judge can argue? SPEED. Angle.... sort of. Style.... opinion. Tire Smoke...... sort of. Gap..... hard to differentiate if both cars are within a couple feet both runs. Put a 3 car gap on your component.... pretty easy call. Since teams realize judging (in all forms) is as much political as it is opinionated, they decided outrunning the competition is a solid scheme to a podium. I cant blame them one bit.

DJPimpFlex
06-26-2014, 11:59 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/1947616_628458520558804_941528661_n.jpg

Odi gives me hope. Dude's car is amazing.

ditchs14
06-27-2014, 02:43 PM
why cant we just have this

4FTjw9ALQ0o

chris_240sx
06-28-2014, 01:01 AM
I'd like to see rolling starts and a larger variation of course layouts (sweeping, tight, small, large, just an array really). I think those are pretty easy to implement and would help with the drag racing feel FD can have.

Nismocoupe13
07-12-2014, 04:59 PM
I think rolling starts up to 50mph would be good, kinda how IDC has it. To be honest though, seeing how close that battles were at the Gauntlet, I wish every round was like that.

Matej
07-12-2014, 09:54 PM
How Formula Drift Secretly Built The World's Most Powerful Road Racecars (http://jalopnik.com/how-formula-drift-secretly-built-the-worlds-most-power-1488503790)

Matej
07-12-2014, 10:08 PM
This is a type of event I would actually attend. There is just something so much cooler about race/drift cars blasting down real scenic roadways, rather than artificial tracks.

0WHkm4ZSJEc

Highway Riding
07-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Off topic but gosh dang FD needs to picked up for TV. The sport word grow for sure if they were televised.

TougeSC3
07-23-2014, 11:34 AM
It's funny that this is being argued. FD won't change unless the ones supporting it say so. In other words, the sponsors. Money, lots of money, is thrown around. Why? Because all the bandwagon nerds hopped on to the tits and fed on it. A couple hundred grand is nothing when it is being seen and advertised to millions. Revenue will always trump what you want and think.

Fuego
07-24-2014, 01:11 AM
I for one am fine with the build, it's the tracks that are garbage. Let FD evolve like anyother, but let all of it grow not just the cars. All this super tight 3 turn shit might have been cool with 500 hp but it's just plane boring with the big number cars.

DRIFTER-M
07-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Off topic but gosh dang FD needs to picked up for TV. The sport word grow for sure if they were televised.

It is televised and has been for YEARS, just not live - it's edited and runs a few months later.
Currently it airs on NBC Sports (formerly VS), before that it ran on ESPN2 (probably the best shot it ever had), SPEED Channel, and G4TV iirc.
There is also other shows focusing on drifting in general, Velocity channel has "drifting with the all-stars" though they definitely have some growing pains to work out and learn to fix.

1 88 U
07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Kumokuba is in a LS3 s15 this D1 season.

DRIFTER-M
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Kumokuba is in a LS3 s15 this D1 season.

Yeah it is kind of a bummer, he seems high on it however a lot of people are saying he isn't looking as good and sharp as he did prior.

DRIFTER-M
07-26-2014, 01:19 PM
I actually had this discussion via a FB group I am a part of, so I am curious the thoughts here.
Defenders of the high HP, very linear track setup events vs. Lower HP drifting on tighter and technical tracks.

I am curious if this debate has to do with how long one has been a part of the sport. Back in 2004, when the SR was the icon motor everyone wanted and 300HP was a BEAST, we grew up on that more or less balls to the walls style, tighter tracks, etc.

People that have gotten into the sport within the last 5 years have seen crazy HP numbers, more conservative drifting and more commercial than ever.

I wonder if that ponder into what you prefer or not. Personally, I prefer watching people door-bang on Meihan, I loved when Sekia Hills got used, and tracks like Ebisu are amazing to watch. My favorite grass roots track in America was Black Hills Circuit (until it got shut down) because it was a tight, technical former kart course. I would much rather see FD put on an event at HTM or USA International Raceway, etc. Something with more dynamic curves, not so wash rinse repeat of: Long Strait, Sweeper, another Sweeper, end - current FD style.

EDIT: Black Hills Circuit (RIP)
* Video is not mine or me
1UJJbSu17xI

imotion s14
07-27-2014, 09:48 AM
drifting needs a Thunderdrome format; 2 drifters enter, 1 drifter leave.