View Full Version : Kia GT4 Stinger RWD 315hp..Move over FRS/BRZ

180sxmaniac
01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Kia GT4 Stinger
2.0 Turbocharged
RWD 50/50 Weight Distribution
2874 Pounds
Brembo Brakes

Kia GT4 Stinger Concept | Full specs, photos, and performance | Digital Trends (http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/scion-fr-s-gets-competition-amazing-kia-gt4-stinger/)

dudermagee
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
That thing is ugly
and there is already a thread for this

simmode1
01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
I love everything about this car. I just hope that it gets made. Seems to good to be true.

But I'm not sure why they wouldn't make it, though. I mean, it's based on the existing Genesis coupe chassis. Probably the same 6 speed transmission too (if so, I hope they fixed the hanging revs). And it's running the same engine as the Genesis coupe and Optima just but with direct injection on it and detuned from their Pirelli World Challenge racing program. They're finally doing some motorsports with their cars again. Apparently, they campaigned the Forte as well.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/KiaOptimaWorldChallenge-01-626x317.jpg

It's not like they're starting from the ground up developing the car and seeing if there is even a market for it. We know there's a market for it and Hyundai's done all the heavy lifting already. Price it in between turbo and V6 Genesis coupes and just release the damn car, Kia. I can't think of many current cars under $40k that would be able to compete with the performance and MPGs.

silverarrow27
01-13-2014, 11:51 PM
I think this car deserve its own thread, side profile look sweet. Not liking front or rear on this thing though.

180sxmaniac
01-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Ive been chopping at tge bit at buying a new nismo 370z but im gonna wait for pricibg on thid.Nismo Z goes for 46k i can see this GT4 being priced at 32k and with 300hp and that weight i think it could potentially be a better bargain

simmode1
01-14-2014, 12:24 AM
This Stinger certainly could command a price tag like $32k, but a few things make me think it won't be that pricey.
- Kia is the down market sibling to Hyundai. They aren't trying to price it much higher than the GC.
- It's full of hand me down tech, so r&d costs should be low. #Project Genesis lightweight.
- The plan is to release this as an FRS or Miata fighter, so i'd expect similar pricing.

I would not be surprised at all if the Genesis Coupe goes upmarket in it's next gen running Hyundai 5.0 V8 to further differentiate it from the Stinger. In fact, I'd like to see their line ups come out like this:

Stinger:
2.0L N/A option for $23k with an FRS rivaling 200hp.
2.0t option for $27.5k crush everything in its price range with its 315hp.

Next Gen Genesis Coupe goes Mustang hunting, but gives it's new little brother some room to play:
Drop the 2.0t and run the 350hp V6 as the base engine at $29k.
Fit the 5.0L Tau V8 with 430hp+ as the range topper at ~$35k.

PeaceOnesxWai
01-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Looks like we are going to get a new era for RWD sport cars!! Pretty excited!

Matej
01-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Those headlights are too low to be legal in America, unless the law has changed. Otherwise, I am guessing the front end will get a redesign, at least for the US market.

BoredEE
01-14-2014, 06:42 PM
I love the see through A pillar. I hope to see it on more cars!

I can't stand how all new cars have huge A pillars to fit an airbag.

It creates a huge blindspot.

I have a curve near my house, at the perfect angle, that I've never seen oncoming traffic until they are within 50feet.

fliprayzin240sx
01-15-2014, 03:56 AM
The lack of headlights in the normal location makes the car look funky to me. If they add something on the hood line to break it out some, I think that would make it look better.

exitspeed
01-15-2014, 07:37 AM
- Kia is the down market sibling to Hyundai. They aren't trying to price it much higher than the GC.

That part is not true actually. Kia is considered Hyundai's "sportier" cousin. Hence why the Kia version of the Genesis Sedan, the K900, is being marketed as a more sports sedan than the Genesis Sedan. It's also more expensive than the Genesis and just less than the Equus.

Back to the Stinger. I love it. :bigok: It's going to be made. Kia and Hyundai are not fucking around anymore and when they decide they are going to build a car, they build it.

simmode1
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
^^^I didn't realize that... If that's the case, this car really could sell for 370Z prices, probably (given it's specs). But I don't see how they could market it as a FRS/Miata competitor in that price range....

If it's priced about about $32k-$35k, then it's going to have to compete with BMW's new 2 series. If that happens, the Nismo IDX might still stand a chance if it stays around $27.5k That's where both of them need to be, IMO.

Rejoice

Nissan Confirms The Rear-Drive IDx Concept Will Go To Production (http://jalopnik.com/nissan-confirms-the-rear-drive-idx-concept-will-go-to-p-1501793053)
Oh god yes!

simmode1
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
It's becoming a struggle to maintain interest in the IDX, honestly. I feel like I'm doing moreso out of loyalty to Nissan.

The Stinger is just... Wow. It'll be a game changer if it's priced the same as the FRS.
9_Ohlep2od8

About as functional as a Z33/Z34 hatch maybe?
http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimage/CW/20140113/CARNEWS/113009992/PH/0/7/Kia-GT4-Stinger-concept-rear-detail-liftback-tailgate.jpg
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/64942402+q100+re0/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-rear-three-quarter.jpg

simmode1
01-15-2014, 10:59 PM
The more I see of it, the more I like it and the more I doubt it's going to be under $30k...

fcvaBWLjvsA
But until it's confirmed for production, my money is on the IDX.

fliprayzin240sx
01-16-2014, 04:26 AM
It's becoming a struggle to maintain interest in the IDX, honestly. I feel like I'm doing moreso out of loyalty to Nissan.

The Stinger is just... Wow. It'll be a game changer if it's priced the same as the FRS.

About as functional as a Z33/Z34 hatch maybe?
http://www.autoweek.com/galleryimage/CW/20140113/CARNEWS/113009992/PH/0/7/Kia-GT4-Stinger-concept-rear-detail-liftback-tailgate.jpg

Is it just me or from this angle, it reminds me of an updated 240z hatch for some reason.

future
01-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Finally something to look forward to. That Nissan idx is shit, I lost my loyalty to Nissan years back when they keep making shit after shit with CAT trans that constantly blow. Shity brand is shity

unwtdhero
01-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Flip, i agree. Its the roof line for sure. Now someone shop nissan badges on it ;)

exitspeed
01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
A closer look at the Kia GT4 Stinger Concept - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/16/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-detroit-2014-video/)

Matej
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Flip, i agree. Its the roof line for sure. Now someone shop nissan badges on it ;)
Indeed, if only Nissan made this car. I do not even like Kia, yet cannot help but applaud them on this concept.

simmode1
01-16-2014, 01:52 PM
^^^Yeah, its like Nissan refused to revive the Silvia, so Kia did it for them. Instead, Nissan gives us the IDX. A nice effort, but not exactly what we asked for.

A closer look at the Kia GT4 Stinger Concept - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/16/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-detroit-2014-video/)
Can't wait to get off work and watch that video.

exitspeed
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
^^^Yeah, its like Nissan refused to revive the Silvia, so Kia did it for them. Instead, Nissan gives us the IDX. A nice effort, but not exactly what we asked for.

It's funny. It's not what I asked for, but I find myself thinking it's really what I wanted.

exitspeed
01-20-2014, 05:55 AM
Seen the car on Saturday. Man it is awwwwesome looking. Size wise it looks really wide and low, which is a good thing. It was one of the highlights of the show for sure. Looking forward to seeing how the production car shapes up.

simmode1
01-20-2014, 08:52 AM
I was just thinking... I'm pretty sure we all know the headlights are much too low to make production. But if they just move them higher and maybe even add ducting underneath, in the style of the SLS AMG, it would become more realistic and even better looking.
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/kia_gt4_stinger_main.jpg?itok=BhxXsjQR

http://www.wallpuper.com/thumbs/2013/06/Mercedes_SLS_6.3_AMG.jpg

fliprayzin240sx
01-21-2014, 03:35 AM
But realistically, how many people would actually buy this thing? I mean we had the same rwd hype when the first Genesis Coupe came out and it didnt really blew up as big as Hyundai hoped it would. So whats the chance that people will be buying these like hotcakes? Only way I see it happening is if they price these like the Optimas, turbo charge the crap out of it and slap the same ergonomics in it. I must have seen more Optimas on the road since I came back stateside than anything nissan related except for the altimas.

whatever210
01-21-2014, 07:21 AM
But realistically, how many people would actually buy this thing? I mean we had the same rwd hype when the first Genesis Coupe came out and it didnt really blew up as big as Hyundai hoped it would. So whats the chance that people will be buying these like hotcakes? Only way I see it happening is if they price these like the Optimas, turbo charge the crap out of it and slap the same ergonomics in it. I must have seen more Optimas on the road since I came back stateside than anything nissan related except for the altimas.
um the genesis sold pretty well. they didn't make a ton of that car like they did their sonota. most people are looking for a family style car. the market is very slim for sports style car. the genesis sold very well. infact it sold so well I had to wait a couple of weeks to come across a rspec model when they first came out because ppl were buying those.

exitspeed
01-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Yeah, not to beat a dead horse but we've went over this over and over and over. The Genesis sold as it should have. It was never meant to sell like a Sonota. And on top of it Hyundai isn't even worried about coupe only sales and is why it just includes the coupe sales in with the Sedan. It's not there to make them a mint, it's there to prove they can build fun, sporty cars for the few people that want them.

simmode1
01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Only time will tell how the Stinger might sell if it sees production. I do know that it does address the gripes people voiced about the Genesis coupe though:

Weight:
At around 3400 lbs, many felt the Genesis coupe was too heavy. The Stinger is shaving off about 600 lbs...

Power:
The first gen Genesis coupe 2.0t didn't have nearly enough power. While the refreshed version got more power, The Stinger's power to weight ratio is even better.

Styling:
Yeah... looks way better than the Genesis coupe before AND after the refresh.

I don't see any reason the Stinger wouldn't sell more succefully than the Gen coupe, provided they price it to compete with the FRS like they've said.

But I don't understand how they'd expect it to not kill off the Genesis coupe at the same time... Only thing that makes sense to me is if the GC goes upmarket next gen, drops their 2.0t and only offers their V6 & V8.

exitspeed
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
But I don't understand how they'd expect it to not kill off the Genesis coupe at the same time...

I read an interview that Kia and Hyundai operate almost like they don't exist as far as building similar cars. They are completely not concerned with building a car that may canalize sales of another. That is why every single one of their platforms have a Kia and Hyundai version. Where they do it right is they look almost NOTHING like each other. If you debadged them and debuted them you'd have no idea the Genesis Coupe is related to the Stinger.

simmode1
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
^^^Oh, so like... "Who cares if you buy more Stingers than GC's... The money is still going to the same place"?

exitspeed
01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
^^^Oh, so like... "Who cares if you buy more Stingers than GC's... The money is still going to the same place"?

Exactly. They operate independently on styling but ultimately it's one company. It's basically TWO opportunities to sell a car instead of one.

h2v7
01-21-2014, 01:58 PM
piece of shit gay car award

SimpleS14
01-21-2014, 02:50 PM
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kia-GT4-Stinger-Looks-Like-Show-Car-1-626x382.jpg

Kia GT4 Stinger Concept Looks Like Show Car from VW's Past ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog (http://blog.caranddriver.com/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-looks-like-show-car-from-volkswagens-past/)

exitspeed
01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kia-GT4-Stinger-Looks-Like-Show-Car-1-626x382.jpg

Kia GT4 Stinger Concept Looks Like Show Car from VW's Past ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog (http://blog.caranddriver.com/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-looks-like-show-car-from-volkswagens-past/)

Interesting considering the guy responsible for kia's styling used to work for vw/Audi. The KIA proportions are approximately 423x better.

simmode1
01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Interesting considering the guy responsible for kia's styling used to work for vw/Audi. The KIA proportions are approximately 423x better.
Agreed.

piece of shit gay car award
Disagreed.

future
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Finally excited for a new car. I was thinking a 2008 z33 in a couple years seeing as it should be obtainable to buy cash, but this car has me interested and also a new FRS with more power

simmode1
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM
^^^Yeah, man... there are gonna be so many sub $10k cash cars around in a few years. Nissan, BMW, Mustangs, Camaros, NC Miatas... Tons of shit!

Gnnr
01-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Well, they're already using that windshield/roofline on the Soul.

http://www.briggskia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/kia_soul_production_2.jpg

DS562
01-24-2014, 09:40 PM
4 bucket seats huh? Intredasting

future
01-24-2014, 10:24 PM
^^^Yeah, man... there are gonna be so many sub $10k cash cars around in a few years. Nissan, BMW, Mustangs, Camaros, NC Miatas... Tons of shit!

Yeah thing is that they are usually beat up, but seeing as it would be a weekend warrior I don't need it to be DD perfect

simmode1
01-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah thing is that they are usually beat up, but seeing as it would be a weekend warrior I don't need it to be DD perfect
There are plenty of non-beat up, sub $10k cars out there... Where you been looking? In about 5 five that options are just gonna keep growing.

BOROSUN
01-26-2014, 03:55 PM
4 bucket seats huh? Intredasting

definitely keep the 4 bucket.

full bucket all around!

coreyh
01-26-2014, 06:49 PM
I like it, if it had a front redesign, I just don't trust kia as far as build quality/ reliability go, the few ive seen just feel cheap.

simmode1
01-26-2014, 07:46 PM
I like it, if it had a front redesign, I just don't trust kia as far as build quality/ reliability go, the few ive seen just feel cheap.
Go hop into an Optima or Genesis sedan.

Kia/Hyundai is on the right track. They're working hard to be the new Honda/Nissan, but they all gotta start somewhere.

I'd rather they'd build up the way they have then just come out the blue with a sports car like the Mastretta MXT. Which I guess, maybe we should be talking about since it's RWD or really, MR. You can own the very first Mexican sports car for $58k...:goyou:
http://www.mastrettacars.com/scripts/thumb_generator.php%3Fimg%3DCarreteraEYE.jpg%26w%3 D955

redline racer510
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
This shouldnt only be move over frs/brz this should be move over nissan and any 240sx revival

Corbic
01-26-2014, 08:27 PM
But I don't understand how they'd expect it to not kill off the Genesis coupe at the same time... Only thing that makes sense to me is if the GC goes upmarket next gen, drops their 2.0t and only offers their V6 & V8.

Thats actually been mentioned a lot, it will target the G37 and BMW 4-series.

drift freaq
01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Thats actually been mentioned a lot, it will target the G37 and BMW 4-series.
Ya somehow I just don't see people who would consider a BMW or an Infiniti giving a `Genesis the time of day even if it tried to go upstream. While Hyundai has definitely turned their image around they still fall into the lower line category.

Corbic
01-27-2014, 05:03 AM
Ya somehow I just don't see people who would consider a BMW or an Infiniti giving a `Genesis the time of day even if it tried to go upstream. While Hyundai has definitely turned their image around they still fall into the lower line category.

Oh I agree, but those are they guys they targeted with the sedan.

I think Hyundai is still hoping to undercut them. Wouldn't surprise me if the new GC starts around 30k. Thats still $7k less then the comp and it opens the 20s up for the Stinger.

exitspeed
01-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Yeah, there is ALWAYS the group of people that love a car that doesn't have the "prestige" maybe the Europeans do but still performs like one and for a fraction of the cost.

That was EXACTLY the task of the original Z. ;)

sleepyS14se
01-27-2014, 03:08 PM
i like this alot!!!! now we can wait and see if they actually produce it or something similar!

drift freaq
01-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Yeah, there is ALWAYS the group of people that love a car that doesn't have the "prestige" maybe the Europeans do but still performs like one and for a fraction of the cost.

That was EXACTLY the task of the original Z. ;)

Lol I am aware of that Mel. I just don't think the Genesis holds that threat. Its already been out and has not unseated sales of G series cars or Z;s as well. The 370z;s lack of sales had to do with timing and quite honestly I don't think the Gen coup numbers were that incredible either. Its not like they set sales records like the 240z did.
Now one can speculate the Stinger might do something but I am still not convinced the Stinger is going to make it to market in the current concept form.˘Let alone with the HP. Putting out a inline 6 with a 150HP was pretty standard form in 1970 for almost any car manufacturer. Putting out a Turbo inline 4 with 315HP? Its just a tad above almost any manufacturer out there right now. Not that it can't be done but its not going to be delivered for under 30k
I mean look at a 2014 EVo MR its rated at 291HP and its up there in pricing.

simmode1
01-28-2014, 09:28 AM
^^^Right there with ya. I'm loving the specs on the Stinger, but they seem too good to actually make it to production for an speculated FRS rivaling price of under $30k. If it did, it would literally set a precedent and raise the bar on how much performance you can buy for sub-$30k. Kia is running strong right now, but I don't know if I'd expect them to be that bold.

But on the otherhand, what reason do they have to NOT be that bold? All they did was just revamp existing chassis/engine technology to keep the cost down. It looks like all the cards are in their favor. IMO, Dropping that car would set off a HP war for 4 bangers under $30k, just like the Coyote 5.0 Stang did for entry level performance V8s.

It's like being the new guy in a rough crowd... Best way to make a name for yourself is to knock out the biggest person you see.

Future240
01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
But on the otherhand, what reason do they have to NOT be that bold? All they did was just revamp existing chassis/engine technology to keep the cost down. It looks like all the cards are in their favor. IMO, Dropping that car would set off a HP war for 4 bangers under $30k, just like the Coyote 5.0 Stang did for entry level performance V8s.

It's like being the new guy in a rough crowd... Best way to make a name for yourself is to knock out the biggest person you see.

Oh please let this happen.

I feel like it would be a prime opportunity for Nissan, Suby and Toyota to use the brand names to undercut the stinger.

I see it like this, presuming prices were all within say 1K of each other would you rather have a 315hp 4cyl rwd car made by Hyundai, a company that 7 years ago were known for cheap cars more than anything

or

A 270-290hp 4cyl rwd car made by a known brand name with a race history that has a history of iconic cars?

Corbic
01-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Oh please let this happen.

I feel like it would be a prime opportunity for Nissan, Suby and Toyota to use the brand names to undercut the stinger.

I see it like this, presuming prices were all within say 1K of each other would you rather have a 315hp 4cyl rwd car made by Hyundai, a company that 7 years ago were known for cheap cars more than anything

or

A 270-290hp 4cyl rwd car made by a known brand name with a race history that has a history of iconic cars?

I'll take the Hyundai.

You guys really are suckers for the marketing brand hype shit. (Ironic considering you bitch about the euro-fanbois).

Hyundai and Kia are doing to Toyota and Honda what T/H did to the domestics 30 years ago.

The arguments you are making are the same ones Ford and Chevy guys made back then.

Hyundai and Kia started by building cheap cars (just like JDM) and are no crushing it with modern progressive styling and high value content. Meanwhile the JDMs have been stagnant in offerings have seen rising prices and spotty quality issues.

Deal with it.

Future240
01-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I'll take the Hyundai.

You guys really are suckers for the marketing breand hype shit. (Ironic considering you bitch about the euro-fanbois).

Hyundai and Kia are doing to Toyota and Honda what T/H did to the domestics 30 years ago.

The arguments you are making are the same ones Ford and Chevy guys made back then.

Hyundai and Kia started by building cheap cars (just like JDM) and are no crushing it with modern progressive styling and high value content. Meanwhile the JDMs have been stagnant in offerings have seen rising prices and spotty quality issues.

Deal with it.

While you may feel this way the majority of buyers will not. Personally for me I agree with you. It is less about brand name and more about performance.

However we both know that the masses will not see it that way.

Corbic
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
While you may feel this way the majority of buyers will not. Personally for me I agree with you. It is less about brand name and more about performance.

Thats what the Big-3 thought too.
Given how fast Kia and Hyundai have grown I don't think "the masses" feel that way, expecially the younger people who didn't grow up in the 90's and 00's suckling the JDM-dick.

The people still going "WTF it's a Hyundai" are the same fanbois that would say the same thing about Ford, Volkswagen or a rival JDM brand they don't like.

exitspeed
01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
I'll take the Hyundai.

You guys really are suckers for the marketing brand hype shit. (Ironic considering you bitch about the euro-fanbois).

Deal with it.

I agree with you 100%. I've used that exact analogy with people.

simmode1
01-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it?

But surely Japan's big 3 see the parallels between their past and the Korean upstarts. Maybe once you've grown to a certain size, you're handcuffed against taking risks which allows a young brand to create opportunities like this... Like some kind of revolving business cycle or something... I dunno.

Gnnr
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
I'll take the Hyundai.

Deal with it.

This is true for Hyundai but not Kia, some of the consumer rankings are still not in their favor.

http://www.temkingroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/figure10.png

Other than that I agree with what you said 100%. Hyundai's warranty programs are also hard to beat.

HeyGirlHeyyy
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Kia's inspiration.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/118136/2216490-voldemort01.jpg

. It is less about brand name and more about performance.

It's also about resale value. Used Genesis sedans are going for about the same price as new Civics.

kingkilburn
01-29-2014, 04:47 PM
The Japanese automakers didn't suddenly burst onto the scene with luxury and sports cars in the 80s and 90s. They simply brought over lines of cars they had been making for decades that the American market didn't seem to care about. People wanted small cheap gas sippers so that what they gave them.

Korea on the other hand hadn't built a quality product until the Genesis was designed. If you think otherwise go drive a Tiburon. They do still have something to prove to the market.

Perhaps the Stinger will be the tipping point for them.

simmode1
01-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Hmmm... 2016 might be real interesting, guys. Little brother...
http://seriouswheels.com/pics-2014/klm/2014-Kia-GT4-Stinger-Concept-Motion-3-2560x1600.jpg

Big Brother?
http://www.pricetagindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hyundai-HND-9-Concept-Ready-Debuts-at-2013-Seoul-Motor-Show-3.jpg

Dare we hope that Hyundai/Kia have the balls to build both these cars?!?

WristWork
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
http://www.mascoche.net/novedades/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/hyundai-venace-concept/hyundai-venace-concept_04.jpg

Hopefully the steering wheel gets removed

drift freaq
01-29-2014, 08:41 PM
The Japanese automakers didn't suddenly burst onto the scene with luxury and sports cars in the 80s and 90s. They simply brought over lines of cars they had been making for decades that the American market didn't seem to care about. People wanted small cheap gas sippers so that what they gave them.

Korea on the other hand hadn't built a quality product until the Genesis was designed. If you think otherwise go drive a Tiburon. They do still have something to prove to the market.

Perhaps the Stinger will be the tipping point for them.

Wow King I could not agree with you more on this. Except that you have to take it even back one decade. The 70's is where the Japanese started to show they were not just building tin can shit box's.Toyota Corolla's Celica's and Pickups. Datsun 510/510/710 , 240Z and PL620 Pickups. These cars proved the Japanese could build a decent reliable automobile that was also good on mileage for the day. It gave them the foundation for what would happen in the 80's with the Camry and the Maxima etc which would lead to their luxury lines.

Hyundai's first reliable car actually has been the Genesis line like you said. Hyundai and Kia do indeed have yet to completely prove themselves in the sports car world and unlike Nissan and Toyota and Honda they do not have a racing heritage that started before they came to this country. Kia has somewhat of that in Pro Rally but not like the Japanese who were in all types of motorsports from the get go.

Oh and before and during that time Kia's were known to be unreliable pieces of junk. I knew people who owned them and those things spent more time at the dealerships under warranty than driving around. lol

Honestly I will say it again the Kia concept looks interesting, sounds great but I am skeptical of it going beyond concept.

Corbic
01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Wow King I could not agree with you more on this. Except that you have to take it even back one decade. The 70's is where the Japanese started to show they were not just building tin can shit box's.Toyota Corolla's Celica's and Pickups. Datsun 510/510/710 , 240Z and PL620 Pickups. These cars proved the Japanese could build a decent reliable automobile that was also good on mileage for the day. It gave them the foundation for what would happen in the 80's with the Camry and the Maxima etc which would lead to their luxury lines.

If you say so.

Hyundai's first reliable car actually has been the Genesis line like you said.

:hahano:

Hyundai and Kia do indeed have yet to completely prove themselves in the sports car world and unlike Nissan and Toyota and Honda they do not have a racing heritage that started before they came to this country.

Go drive one. Nobody gives a crap about "racing heritage". If that is all that mattered everyone would be driving a 911, Corvette or Mustang.

Kia has somewhat of that in Pro Rally but not like the Japanese who were in all types of motorsports from the get go.

Are any of the Japanese even in motor-sports anymore? When was the last Subaru, Toyota, Honda or Mitsubishi backed rally team?

Face it, the Japanese have been killing off their sporting heritage as fast as they can.

S2K - Dead
ITR - Dead
Prelude - Dead
Del Sol - Dead
Evo - Dead
Supra - Dead
RX-7 - Dead
RX-8 - Dead
3000GT - Dead
Eclipse GST - Dead
CRX - Dead
Pulsar GTiR- Dead
Celica - Dead
MR2 - Dead
Turbo Z - Dead
Silvia - Dead
180sx - Dead
FTO - Dead
Starion - Dead

What we have left is a $110k GT-R, a bloated boring $33k Z, the FR-S and a dated ugly WRX/STi. Where is the cutting edge OMFG cars that existed in the 90's?

Yes, we have a Civic Si that makes 210hp, but how is that anymore raw or amazing then the 197hp ITR and CTR from 15 years ago?

How is a 265Hp WRX anymore exciting then the 265hp WRX-RA from 15 years ago?

Mitsubishi - WTF?!

The Japanese nearly bankrupt themselves in the 90's with all the various models and performance cars. They are now on an ultra conservative approach and I don't see that changing.

Oh and before and during that time Kia's were known to be unreliable pieces of junk. I knew people who owned them and those things spent more time at the dealerships under warranty than driving around. lol

Yeah, so terrible. Thank god they didn't have to own those garbage JDM cars from the 80's that would turn to dust from rust just looking at them.

LOLWUT!! Tundra
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/8425/p10806987qu.jpg

Honestly I will say it again the Kia concept looks interesting, sounds great but I am skeptical of it going beyond concept.

I'll give you that.

What I like about the Koreans is that they actually have some balls. They threw down first with the GC, and while I don't like the GC, I won't fault them for trying.

They are also putting out some serious hot cars right now, something the Japanese are NOT DOING.

Turbo Optima, Turbo Veloster, Turbo Elantra, Turbo Genesis, Turbo Santa Fe, Turbo Sonata etc.

Don't even get me started on the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

kingkilburn
01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
The conditions cars have to survive in big sections of america are pretty rough. Nothing is going to survive deiced roads and the slush and mud that follows unless it was specifically designed to.

Now show me the rustproof Volvo or Dodge D series truck in your driveway or find another way to troll.

kingkilburn
01-29-2014, 10:21 PM
And I don't know if you realized this but Japan suffered a huge economic downturn starting in the late 80s that took out the automakers there as well as other major industries. The product wasn't the issue, the currency and economic environment was.

Corbic
01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
The conditions cars have to survive in big sections of america are pretty rough. Nothing is going to survive deiced roads and the slush and mud that follows unless it was specifically designed to.

Now show me the rustproof Volvo or Dodge D series truck in your driveway or find another way to troll.

Are you fucking stupid?

Seriously.

Maybe you need to get out more. The Toyota frame rust issue is monstrous and unacceptable, even domestic trucks from the 70's hold (held) up better to the elements.

Spend some time on Google please.

Corbic
01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
And I don't know if you realized this but Japan suffered a huge economic downturn starting in the late 80s that took out the automakers there as well as other major industries. The product wasn't the issue, the currency and economic environment was.

Mid 90's and I'm well aware. The green caught up with the economy and their exports skyrocketed in price.

As Drift Freaq eluded to, the JDMs existed fora long time before the surge in the 80'. The Koreans have seemly come out of now where. This just feels me they are hungry and innovative.

It also tells me VWOA is run by morons because after 60+ years they've not done what Hyundai did in 15 years.

kingkilburn
01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
There you go mods. I try to be patient. I try not to talk shit or stir the pot.

Yet here we are again. Now show me how having a blue name trumps following the rules.

Corbic
01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Just to recap. .

Kia is talking about a sub 2900lb rwd coupe with 300hp turbo...

While Nissan is talking about a 150hp, N/A CVT Paddle Shift RWD coupe.

Mmm yeah.

Some is spending too much time worrying about their home market with registration levels, displacement taxes and kei cars.

future
01-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Well that was a good read since I've been gone. I agree that they can not do all the said with the car and price it as an FRS, it they did it would be amazing for people like us on these forums. The rest of the world, I don't think they would care as much

Also the car is hideous, the stats make it appealing. Not like the IDX, ugly and horrible stats

VROOOM
01-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Other than that I agree with what you said 100%. Hyundai's warranty programs are also hard to beat.

if your the first owner the warranty is awesome, but a used Hyundai doesnt come with the 100k warranty.

AFSil80
01-30-2014, 08:06 AM
There you go mods. I try to be patient. I try not to talk shit or stir the pot.

Yet here we are again. Now show me how having a blue name trumps following the rules.

Yet calling someone a troll isn't talking shit? I said it earlier in the thread...get over yourself, dude.

You have to admit he's right...the rust prevention on Japanese cars has always been atrocious compared to domestic and european cars. Hell, even the S13 has it's common rust spots. Classic Z cars are a prime example. You'll still find pretty bad rust on Skylines being brought into Canada.

Now I know that every car goes through different scenarios, but having lived in one of those regions affected by road salt, I can tell you that domestic cars have a LOT longer lifespan.

unwtdhero
01-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Dont make kingkillburn dissappoint the mods, hes trying to be "nice"....

Anywho...the hyundai mehhhh.... The kia is the most appealing so far..

simmode1
01-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Anywho...the hyundai mehhhh.... The kia is the most appealing so far..
The point of me posting it was just speculation as to how they might fit the Stinger into production without it stepping on the Genesis coupe's toes and taking away it's cross-shoppers.

The Genesis coupe is getting a bit long in the tooth and it's getting close to time for a new model. I think smoothing out some of the HND-9's hard lines in the nose and offering Hyundai's 3.8L V6 & 5.0L V8 will allow it to distance itself from shoppers interested in it's kid brother, the 2.0t Stinger.

They announced that they intend for the Stinger to rival the FRS without stealing sales from the GC. I don't understand how they expect that to happen if it's priced over $30k, as it's spec list suggests. But they have all the tools to price it inbetween the current 2.0t & V6 Genesis coupe at about ~$28k.

I'd speculate that a 350hp 3.8L V6 HND-9 could start at $34k, with the 430hp 5.0 V8 at $39k. The question is would a V6 HND-9 compete with the G37 coupe successor and would the V8 HND-9 compete with the new Mustang?

Corbic
01-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Even at $28-31k the Stinger could easily rival the FRZ.

FRZ twins are $25-26k, you can surely net that any future tirbo versions will be over $30k. I've showed before that Subaru spaces performance cars by $7k. So $7k on a $25.5k car is $32.5k.

So with an extra 110hp, potentially nicer interior and more standard features, I see no reason the Stinger could not crush the FRZ with a $4k premium all else equal.

As for the GC, we'll have to see. I'd like the GC to become a Mustang rival.

350hp V6 for $27k, 450hp V8 for $37k should put it in line with the future Mustang pricing.

That leaves 26-30k for a more aggressively designed Turbo Stinger with 310hp.

Shit a 274hp GC coupe is only $24k right now. It's just a bit pudgy and I'm betting the 310 hp is just Kia having the balls to up the boost.

drift freaq
01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
I am not going to respond to Corbic directly but to say in the words of Dan Gurney "Win races on Sunday sell cars on Monday".

Racing actually does count, for any company trying to prove its mettle selling Sports cars and Sports vehicles. The proof is even with the Koreans. Why else would Kia be in Pro Rally?

Like was said and you my be to young to realize this but its indeed true Japan has been in a 20 year plus recession they are just beginning to come out of. Rag all you want on the current GTR it is being campaigned in European racing series with some covert backing from NIssan. Nissan is also involved in Le Mans and does supply alongside Renault parts and tech for Redbull F1.

Oh and on your rust comment? Anywhere they salt roads to remove ice and snow you will see rust on cars regardless of the brand. There is a reason east coasters and people from the mid west look to buy California cars when they are collecting . Even your old Americans cars from those areas are rare now due to body rot from road salt. Unless they were garaged and not driven in winter.

Oh and by the way if your so high on Hyundai why don't you go buy a Genesis? Instead of buying an older ill handling Porsche and a 240sx and trolling the forum?

I made my statements about the Kia and why I feel its a concept only. I pointed out what the Koreans need to do to increase their product recognition and credibility.
It seems you not only can't accept that opinion, but actually want to drag it way off the main topic by spouting a bunch of anti Japanese car bullshit.

simmode1
01-30-2014, 11:46 AM
^^^On the racing point: I just find it odd that Kia would support an Optima in the Pirelli World challenge series before Hyundai would enter the Genesis coupe, even though they were running (essentially) the same engine.

I do agree though that it's doubtful that either the Stinger or HND-9 will live past the concept stage. I'm hopeful, but I won't hold my breath.
Shit a 274hp GC coupe is only $24k right now. It's just a bit pudgy and I'm betting the 310 hp is just Kia having the balls to up the boost.
Probably. But they did add direct injection, too. So that might account for some of the bump. But since the engine is out of their Optima racecar, maybe it does have some other refinements too...

exitspeed
01-30-2014, 12:44 PM
^^^On the racing point: I just find it odd that Kia would support an Optima in the Pirelli World challenge series before Hyundai would enter the Genesis coupe, even though they were running (essentially) the same engine.

Like I said before Kia is the more youthful sporty brand between them. It's just how it is.

Oh and on your rust comment? Anywhere they salt roads to remove ice and snow you will see rust on cars regardless of the brand. There is a reason east coasters and people from the mid west look to buy California cars when they are collecting . Even your old Americans cars from those areas are rare now due to body rot from road salt. Unless they were garaged and not driven in winter.

This is true. Being in Milwaukee I've bought both of my 240's down south because any of them up here are rusted to complete shit. And if you drive around here you'll see every single make and model rusted to shit. You'll also see plenty of old cars not rusted to shit that people actually took care of. But the salt doesn't discriminate.

And Dave, I do have to disagree with you about the Stinger not making it to production. Hyundai and Kia have very few concepts that don't make it to production or foreshadow a near future production car. I agree, they do not have the history the Japanese or Domestics do, but what they do have right now is a booming economy, the platform already developed, and BALLS. Something that we know the Japanese brands have been living without for a decade now.

As much as I want the iDX I actually have more faith that the Stinger will see production.

240sxcure
01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
You have to admit he's right...the rust prevention on Japanese cars has always been atrocious compared to domestic and european cars. Hell, even the S13 has it's common rust spots. Classic Z cars are a prime example. You'll still find pretty bad rust on Skylines being brought into Canada.

Now I know that every car goes through different scenarios, but having lived in one of those regions affected by road salt, I can tell you that domestic cars have a LOT longer lifespan.

From personal experience of living in a heavily road salted state, I think early domestics and imports are on par with each other.

I've seen everything from cavaliers to foxbody mustangs turn to dust. Honestly, if you leave any type of car unwashed in a rustbelt state, it will turn to powder. For every tacoma or tundra you post with a rust chassis, I could point out a jeep,ranger, blazer, bronco with similar problems.

Gnnr
01-30-2014, 02:53 PM
if your the first owner the warranty is awesome, but a used Hyundai doesnt come with the 100k warranty.

True, but we are talking new cars here. A hard concept for many Zilvian's to grasp is that car manufacturers are not creating new cars with the used market in mind. They consider them two different areas. Which is why I'm tired of hearing people say oh why would I buy that new car for X amount if I can get get used Y for less and still have money for Z. Used is disregarded in the same way only new things count towards the GDP, so lets not bring it up.

kingkilburn
01-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I guess everyone glossed over my comment about Dodge D series trucks. Vehicles designed with rust prevention in mind do better than those that do not.

Give it another 10 years and you will not find an S chassis from areas that salt roads that is free of rust in areas none of us have the metal working skills to deal with. Hot Rod shops are gonna love out money when we are rebuilding structural areas of our cars.

Corbic
01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I am not going to respond to Corbic directly but to say in the words of Dan Gurney "Win races on Sunday sell cars on Monday".

I'll respond to you, cause I love you man. I'd buy you a beer even (on tap or house special).

Gurney may be right, to a point. He is also wrong, to a point today. Many hit cars have absolutely no racing roots and are not competitively raced in any well known field. Does the common Civic Si buyer even know what, if anything the Civic Si competes in?

Cool ad campaigns with Un Pimping Das Auto and Hamsters sell more cars than some amateur level SCCA Auto-X title.

Racing actually does count, for any company trying to prove its mettle selling Sports cars and Sports vehicles. The proof is even with the Koreans. Why else would Kia be in Pro Rally?

So why isn't Mitsubishi and Subaru competing in WRC anymore?

I totally encourage you to research the Toyota Frame rust issues. We are not talking about classic cars from 40 years ago but trucks sold 6 years ago.

My entire point with it is that for the last 15 years the Japanese have sat on their laurels. They've secured their place in the sun and have been living off the reputation their fathers built for them in the 80's and 90's. The gap between an Accord and a Fusion is non-existant today, unlike a Honda Accord and a Taurus from the 90's.

Oh and by the way if your so high on Hyundai why don't you go buy a Genesis?

We've been over this. I feel the Gen1 needs $15k to make it the car I'd want, and the Gen2 is hideous. I don't applaud Hyundai because it's a perfect car. I applaud them because they are doing something. Where is the 2+2 Turbo RWD Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Subaru? Where is the turbo Toyota and Nissan hatches and coupes? V8 RWD Full Size luxo-barges from Mitsubishi and Honda?

Look at how far Hyundai and Kia have gone since 2000 to 2013. Hell, just 2007 till today! I can't imagine how much more they will improve in the next 5-10 years.

Instead of buying an older ill handling Porsche

You already know what you did there.. :cops:

and a 240sx and trolling the forum?

Do you even own a 240? (serious question / non-combative)

I made my statements about the Kia and why I feel its a concept only. I pointed out what the Koreans need to do to increase their product recognition and credibility.
It seems you not only can't accept that opinion, but actually want to drag it way off the main topic by spouting a bunch of anti Japanese car bullshit.

I accept your opinion. However, my comments about the Japanese Automakers, while dramatic, are fairly accurate. The FRZ is the first new JDM car I've been excited about in 10 years and it was a let down.

I get frustrated with this nonsense badge whoring that people do around here. Howling that it's stupid because it's a Kia is idiotic. Stating that "I'd rather have a JDM car that costs more and has 270hp instead of a 310hp Korean Car" is also stupid.

Korean Industry across the board is on a serious roll right now.

simmode1
01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I get frustrated with this nonsense badge whoring that people do around here. Howling that it's stupid because it's a Kia is idiotic. Stating that "I'd rather have a JDM car that costs more and has 270hp instead of a 310hp Korean Car" is also stupid.
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the more we talk about the IDX and the Stinger, the more support seems to be growing for them on this board. Which of course, just underscores the fact that many ppl are sheep and don't know what to think until the very vocal minority tells them...

kingkilburn
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
How long do we have to keep hearing about one stat for the FRS? It has no competition for the time being and no one buying one is going to be that hung up on that. There is an entire car beyond that number.

For all we know the Stinger is going to come with that engine and have a terrible setup beyond that and the FRS/BRZ is the clear better buy.

I grow weary of the negative fanboying about these cars. Everything sucks always.

Gnnr
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
I guess everyone glossed over my comment about Dodge D series trucks. Vehicles designed with rust prevention in mind do better than those that do not.

Give it another 10 years and you will not find an S chassis from areas that salt roads that is free of rust in areas none of us have the metal working skills to deal with. Hot Rod shops are gonna love out money when we are rebuilding structural areas of our cars.

Its not that its unimportant, its that this board is SoCal heavy and well, I'm in Miami so we don't deal with snow... :eek3d:

kingkilburn
01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I own a presmog D100 from North Dakota. There is almost zero rust on this thing and it was a heavily used work truck. I can't imagine any average vehicle from up there being in this condition.

drift freaq
01-30-2014, 05:57 PM
In answer to your question Corbic yes I still own the 240sx listed in my sig and I have owned way to many of them including my old 300 whp RB25 powered car among others. Some of which there are pics of in my profile.

Oh and if you are referring to my purchase of my M3? Well its an amazing handling factory built car that comes with just enough HP and torque to make it an extreme blast to drive inn pretty much damn near stock form.

Yes advertising campaigns can sell cars but none of the cars you pointed out where Sports cars. Sports cars are called Sports cars for a reason. Racing is synonymous with Sports cars. Build a Sports car make it race car.
When Hyundai does that successfully they will gain the respect they so badly need for the Genesis not before.
Whether you choose to accept that is on you but its pretty much a sports car marketing truth.

1 88 U
01-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I seriously doubt a boosted FRZ will add a $7k premium. I think their price is inflated as is due to a lack of competition. Toyota has been floating ideas for bigger displacement, i4, supercharger, turbo for a year now but none of that will see production until a competitor comes to market. And by competitor I don't mean superior hp numbers and close to weight, I'm talking about rave driving reviews.

AFSil80
01-31-2014, 01:37 AM
I own a presmog D100 from North Dakota. There is almost zero rust on this thing and it was a heavily used work truck. I can't imagine any average vehicle from up there being in this condition.

The big thing about North Dakota is that they use sand on the roads, not salt. Only in the Minnesota border towns of Fargo/Moorhead and Grand Forks/East Grand Forks really gotta worry about road salt.

But yes, you're right, vehicles that are made with rust prevention in mind will fare better than the average vehicle, regardless of the condition.

kingkilburn
02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Kia just stole the Super Bowl. Good shit.

Corbic
02-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Kia just stole the Super Bowl. Good shit.

Agreed.

The K900 and Audi commercial where the only thing of note.

VROOOM
02-03-2014, 08:35 AM
True, but we are talking new cars here. A hard concept for many Zilvian's to grasp is that car manufacturers are not creating new cars with the used market in mind. They consider them two different areas. Which is why I'm tired of hearing people say oh why would I buy that new car for X amount if I can get get used Y for less and still have money for Z. Used is disregarded in the same way only new things count towards the GDP, so lets not bring it up.

you have to think about the warranty when you purchase a Hyundai. the fact the 100k warranty doesnt transfer hurts resale value. something you really should take into consideration when purchasing a new car.

Gnnr
02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Hyundai and KIA have put on their big boy pants in the VIP department too! :eek3:

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20131024/CARNEWS/131029906/AR/0/2014-Hyundai-Genesis-render.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6jwcq5qh35Y/UjxzmP7uiuI/AAAAAAAOTBo/35-TJzuYKGU/s1600/Kia-K9-Quoris-48.jpg

240sxcure
02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Hyundai and KIA have put on their big boy pants in the VIP department too! :eek3:

http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20131024/CARNEWS/131029906/AR/0/2014-Hyundai-Genesis-render.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6jwcq5qh35Y/UjxzmP7uiuI/AAAAAAAOTBo/35-TJzuYKGU/s1600/Kia-K9-Quoris-48.jpg

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/matthewdepaula/files/2013/01/2014-Mazda-6-Front.jpg

I just see a Mazda 6 front end copy with the new genesis.

exitspeed
02-04-2014, 12:26 PM
^Glasses. Look into them. Lol

kingkilburn
02-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

exitspeed
02-11-2014, 03:34 PM
New article from C&D. Kia GT4 Stinger Concept Dissected: The Goods on Kia's BRZ/FR-S-Fighter ? Feature ? Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-dissected-the-goods-on-kias-brz-fr-s-fighter-feature?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1458_43687993)

kingkilburn
02-11-2014, 03:39 PM
That shifter gate though.

simmode1
02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
New article from C&D. Kia GT4 Stinger Concept Dissected: The Goods on Kia's BRZ/FR-S-Fighter ? Feature ? Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/kia-gt4-stinger-concept-dissected-the-goods-on-kias-brz-fr-s-fighter-feature?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1458_43687993)
So the GC's chassis is realistically to big to build the Stinger on it? Well, so much for a sub $30k price tag.

kingkilburn
02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Look how many places the FM platform has gone. I see no reason the Genesis chassis can't be made smaller.

simmode1
02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
^^^I hope so. The article seems to imply that it's unlikely. I'm really hoping they recycle as much of the Genesis as they can to keep this car's price down & send the Genesis upmarket.

But it's just likely not going to get made. I'll rejoice if it does though.

Matej
02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
The A-pillar is easily one of the most innovative bits on the car. Now any car without a see-through A-pillar seems primordial.

simmode1
02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
The A-pillar is easily one of the most innovative bits on the car. Now any car without a see-through A-pillar seems primordial.
Agreed, but I wonder if it would stand up any better or worse than conventional A pillars in crash safety tests. Hmmm...

Corbic
02-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Agreed, but I wonder if it would stand up any better or worse than conventional A pillars in crash safety tests. Hmmm...

I would say as good or better. Given today's hyper sensitivity and crash testing technology, there is no reason that it would be less safe.

simmode1
02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Just heard Kia brought the Stinger to the Chicago Auto Show along with an electric Soul, both of which piques my interests...Supposedly, the Stinger will be headed to the Geneva show as well. I really hope they get serious about this car, despite it probably being too small to use the Genesis coupe chassis. The GC is DOA in sales. Not sure how that will affect Hyundai/Kia's future in the affordable sports car market. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes & push forward rather than throwing in the towel.

unwtdhero
02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Damnit man, the door handle (straps) and the cluster....please let this reach production. On another note... 10k for one off kia center lock carbon fiber circle things?!!? Do we call these wheels? Lol

Corbic
02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Just heard Kia brought the Stinger to the Chicago Auto Show along with an electric Soul, both of which piques my interests...Supposedly, the Stinger will be headed to the Geneva show as well. I really hope they get serious about this car, despite it probably being too small to use the Genesis coupe chassis. The GC is DOA in sales. Not sure how that will affect Hyundai/Kia's future in the affordable sports car market. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes & push forward rather than throwing in the towel.

I saw both in person. The Stinger is hot and had a lot of attention. Everyone loves the Souls. They even had a DJ-Both one with Rotiforms and all.

The Genisis Sedan is selling very well, around 32k a year in the US. I'd be curious to how well the GC sells in Korea.

I'm sure Hyundai is mature enough to understand where they went wrong. As you said, they targeted the old Mustang's power output when they first launched. They then decided to use the Volister front when they finally pumped up the power. The GC should have launched with 270hp and 350hp.

Maybe the Sting is going to be the ~25k car while they move the GC up market to be a legit 4/G37/ISC fighter.

Soul EV priced right is going to destroy the Leaf. The Leaf however has sold 22k cars last year.

http://augustakia.kiaofaugusta.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/GT4-Stinger-Concept_1.jpg

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/main/JX3C5766.jpg

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1604964.1391722971!/img/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/landscape_635_424/kia-soul-ev-deubt.JPG

simmode1
02-17-2014, 04:30 PM
On another note... 10k for one off kia center lock carbon fiber circle things?!!? Do we call these wheels? Lol

Yeah man... wheels with single/center locking lugnuts are common in racing. Many concept cars run them too. The IDX concepts do. But you should definitely not expect those wheels to make it to production.But if you're dying for a set of center locking lug nut wheels: http://www.forgeline.com/products/center-lock-wheels-and-center-lock-conversion/center-lock-conversion/flush-loc-conversion.html But man, if you think Work, Volk, Weds, BBS, etc are expensive... You ain't seen nothing yet.
The GC should have launched with 270hp and 350hp and direct injection.

Maybe the Sting is going to be the ~25k car while they move the GC up market to be a legit 4/G37/ISC fighter.

Soul EV priced right is going to destroy the Leaf. The Leaf however has sold 22k cars last year. Fixed and agreed on all of this. I would MUCH rather have an E-Soul than the Leaf or E-Focus.

Corbic
02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Damnit man, the door handle (straps) and the cluster....please let this reach production. On another note... 10k for one off kia center lock carbon fiber circle things?!!? Do we call these wheels? Lol

Totally slick, styled after the 911 RS.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/RS+Door+Panels+drivers+side+small1278875546.jpg

http://stancewords.stanceworks.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DSC0441.jpg

I'll be making RS door cards for my 911. Pretty straight forward. I bet it wouldn't be impossible on a 240sx or other car.

kingkilburn
02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
You mean styled after the dozens of cars in the last hundred years to have door straps?

drift freaq
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
I am not feeling that Stinger Dash and Cockpit. It seriously lacks when compared to the exterior.
Oh and Soul or Leaf I think they are both ugly. I would take neither.

Corbic
02-17-2014, 07:16 PM
You mean styled after the dozens of cars in the last hundred years to have door straps?

Cars no one gives a crap about.

Corbic
02-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I am not feeling that Stinger Dash and Cockpit. It seriously lacks when compared to the exterior.
Oh and Soul or Leaf I think they are both ugly. I would take neither.

True, it's very plane, but it has lots of neat details that would be awesome in a normal production car.

The steel-ball shifter, the killer heads up display, door straps and of course, at 6'5", my favorite, the recessed sun-visors.

I suspect the infotainment screen would increase in size, we'd receive normal HVAC controls and vents and the dash would grow more standard.

It's not to far off from the new TT (in principle).

http://www.topgear.com/uk/imageresize/image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fassets%2Fcms%2F 3553f602-0e1e-4add-8942-6be20e915e29%2FLarge+Image.jpg%3Fp%3D140108_01%3A3 4&Width=615&Height=347

Check this shit out.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2014/01/audi-ces-dash-1.jpg

kingkilburn
02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Cars no one gives a crap about.

A] Your wrong opinion?

B] What difference does that make?

drift freaq
02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
True, it's very plane, but it has lots of neat details that would be awesome in a normal production car.

The steel-ball shifter, the killer heads up display, door straps and of course, at 6'5", my favorite, the recessed sun-visors.

I suspect the infotainment screen would increase in size, we'd receive normal HVAC controls and vents and the dash would grow more standard.

It's not to far off from the new TT (in principle).

http://www.topgear.com/uk/imageresize/image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fassets%2Fcms%2F 3553f602-0e1e-4add-8942-6be20e915e29%2FLarge+Image.jpg%3Fp%3D140108_01%3A3 4&Width=615&Height=347

Check this shit out.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2014/01/audi-ces-dash-1.jpg
Audi TT better bet still not doing it. Sorry but a video game style display staring me in the face is not my idea of a great dash. Don't mind navigation displays just don't make it larger than the tach and the Speedo and put it off to one side thank you.
Oh and its a bit of stretch from the current Stinger Dash to the Audi Dash. Keep on dreaming about what you want that Stinger to be.

kingkilburn
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I think I'd prefer a screen like that so long as they open source its operation.

If I can put up whatever gauge style I want on it that is cashmoney.

K_style
02-17-2014, 09:34 PM
The Genisis Sedan is selling very well, around 32k a year in the US. I'd be curious to how well the GC sells in Korea.

There are GC and Genesis all over in Korea. And surprisingly some even looked good.

K_style
02-17-2014, 09:35 PM
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/matthewdepaula/files/2013/01/2014-Mazda-6-Front.jpg

I just see a Mazda 6 front end copy with the new genesis.

Umm.. no. not really.

Gnnr
02-18-2014, 08:02 AM
http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/main/JX3C5766.jpg

Groce that interior reeks of everything that is wrong with Kia from pits past

Corbic
02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Audi TT better bet still not doing it. Sorry but a video game style display staring me in the face is not my idea of a great dash. Don't mind navigation displays just don't make it larger than the tach and the Speedo and put it off to one side thank you.
Oh and its a bit of stretch from the current Stinger Dash to the Audi Dash. Keep on dreaming about what you want that Stinger to be.

Not stretching anything. Just talking about how dashes are evolving.

You can cycle the display on the Audi. That is what is going to make digital displays like that so cool.

Just imagine if you can eventually mod the software to change screen styles, fonts, themes and colors.

Corbic
02-18-2014, 10:10 AM
I think I'd prefer a screen like that so long as they open source its operation.

If I can put up whatever gauge style I want on it that is cashmoney.

Exactly.

The future is now!

exitspeed
02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Yeah, full LCD displays ARE going to happen in regular cars. There's so much more the manufacturers car do with it. I could sit here and think of practical applications for virtually any class car (minvans, Full Size Sedans, sports cars) but sporty(s) cars have the most potential for awesomeness with and LCD display.

simmode1
02-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Wow. Never really considered the coolness of the LCD instrument cluster applications. I'm still stuck on wanting an S13 with HUD and NX2000 digital display cluster... lol

Future240
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
And why stop at gauges? Imagine having a small 3X5 led strip that can double as gauges. Ala GTR except on a smaller scale, that you can program to whatever you like.

kingkilburn
02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Put your screen in drag mode and have it be small tach and a giant shift light.

For road trips you can have a giant digital speedo and temp guage with a map in corner.

Pulling a trailer? Have it show oil and trans temps.

Have a bunch of kids in a minivan? Have it show you which seats have weight on them and seatbelts buckled.

So many applications.

S14DB
02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJrP9irrLZk#t=975

Corbic
02-18-2014, 05:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJrP9irrLZk#t=975

While I'm still giggling from the fact that ALL of the Kia designers own Porsches (and not 70's Nissan economy cars), the fact that Mike and Zack are "experts" that keep saying *poorsch* has my eye twitching.

Gnnr
03-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Welp...sorry Japan, I sold out. I'm currently leasing a Kia Optima EX with leather trim. This shit is bossss! :snoop: The high quality finish of the interior, the styling, the comfort, the non existent road noise, the standard features, the quick responding engine...all for less than the cost of a base Civic.

simmode1
03-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Welp...sorry Japan, I sold out. I'm currently leasing a Kia Optima EX with leather trim. This shit is bossss! :snoop: The high quality finish of the interior, the styling, the comfort, the non existent road noise, the standard features, the quick responding engine...all for less than the cost of a base Civic.
Yeah man, they're very nice. After riding around in the turbo one, I have no idea why anyone would pick an Accord or Altima.

exitspeed
03-26-2014, 07:22 AM
The NEW Sonata is a winner too.

Gnnr
03-26-2014, 08:02 AM
The NEW Sonata is a winner too.

I sat it in the Hyundai sedans and it is way too uncomfortable for me. That whole design with the center console swooping up the way it does, pushes into my right knee and is annoying. Hyundai's interior finish was not as impressive in comparison to the Kia interiors. All the touch and feel areas in the Kia's are superb. I also test drove a fully loaded Fortre and I would have been happy with that as well.

exitspeed
03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
I sat it in the Hyundai sedans and it is way too uncomfortable for me. That whole design with the center console swooping up the way it does, pushes into my right knee and is annoying. Hyundai's interior finish was not as impressive in comparison to the Kia interiors. All the touch and feel areas in the Kia's are superb. I also test drove a fully loaded Fortre and I would have been happy with that as well.

I'm talking about the new NEW one that just announced. The interior is new too. I prefer the new styling as well.

http://www.hesserhyundai.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-Hyundai-Sonata-Interior.jpg

NEW 2015
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2015-hyundai-sonata-korean-spec_100461431_l.jpg

Future240
03-26-2014, 08:18 AM
^^^I must admit that is pretty damn nice. The only minor complaint I have is the steering wheel looks chunky but honesetly that is nit picking.

Matej
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
So those headlights on the Stinger are too low to be legal in the US, yes?
That is why the S13 coupe received pop-ups here, yes?
Or has the law changed since then, yes?

drift freaq
03-26-2014, 12:34 PM
So those headlights on the Stinger are too low to be legal in the US, yes?
That is why the S13 coupe received pop-ups here, yes?
Or has the law changed since then, yes?

Headlights too low on the Stinger? Yes per DOT. Headlights on S13 Silvia too low at the time? No, the problem with the Silvia front was it was not crash safety tested. So it had no DOT approval. Plus it would have cost Nissan time and money to bring a full on Silvia in and crash it. They already had crash tested the 180sx front, slap it on and call it a day. Economics plain and simple.

Gnnr
03-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm talking about the new NEW one that just announced. The interior is new too. I prefer the new styling as well.

Ahh, I see they did get rid of the swooping center console (the silver part next to the shifter in the first pic)....but yes, my steering wheel is nicer. :p

http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/dealerimages/Dealer%204793%20Images/2014OptimaInterior.png

Homeboyx
03-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Sure sounds like a winner. Adding to the "updated version of the S30 hatch" comment, the rear quarter glass reminds me of the S30 2+2... but that's just me though.