PDA

View Full Version : 95 240sx wheel wobble

jmotley
10-04-2013, 02:56 PM
I've done some searching and can't find anything similar to what I'm experiencing..
When I drive my car the two rear wheels "snake" ..that's the best way I could describe it, its like they're cambering in and out as I'm driving. I've tried different wheels, and even with no wheels it does the same thing.
I just replaced a bad wheel bearing and it was doing this before, I thought the wheel bearing would fix it on the driver's side but it didn't and I've noticed its doing the same thing (but not as bad) on the passenger's side. Any ideas?

WIKID S4TEEN
10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Take the wheel(s) off, then grab each of your suspension links/hub and see if there's any play. My guess is it's your RUCA.

jmotley
10-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Well I have been running megan coilovers that are pretty low with no alignment.. I've got some aftermarkets but I haven't got em on yet to get it aligned. and like an idiot I drove on it with no alignment like that.. the toe is in a little too. I'll check them out

jmotley
10-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I felt of all the arms and none of them have any play. But I put the car on jack stands and put it in gear to get a better look at what was happening and it looks like my whole caliper is moving and letting the rotor move, which i think is why the wheel is moving.
I failed to mention that the abs unit has been acting up.. sometimes it'll make a low roaring noise and the light will come on on the dash, it started doing this after I tried to do some donuts and whatnot.. i'm guessing it doesn't want the wheels spinning idk.

jmotley
10-05-2013, 11:02 PM
So I had a more experienced friend look at it and one of my axles is sticking out abt a 1/4 inch more than the other side. Idk how it happened but I think I'm about to pick up a chassis with a blown motor that's in a lot better shape than my car paint/body wise.. so I'm not too worried about it.

shiftdrift
10-06-2013, 12:13 AM
it's because your alignment is off a lot from being lowered without correction.

jmotley
10-06-2013, 08:02 AM

you think that would cause the axles to shift?

thefro526
10-07-2013, 06:26 AM

What this dude said.

I've had issues with my S14 where the wheels would seem like they're way out of balance, or like something was loose causing the entire car to shimmy and more often than not it's a sign of my alignment being out of whack rather than an actual component failure.

If you can imagine, when your alignment is off - especially in the rear, if you've got a good LSD or Welded Differential - your wheels are going to be fighting to go in the direction they're pointing. Eventually, they're going to start 'scrubbing' against the ground and 'figure out' how to go straight-ish. As they scrub, you'll get some vibrations since the tire is trying to slip against the pavement. If you're having a hard time visualizing this, go get an eraser and run it along an abrasive surface. You'll see that it wants to 'skip' or 'hop' rather than smoothly wearing away.

waxball88
10-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Has no alignment

Wonders why car feels squirrely
http://www.taylorclark.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/picard.jpg

jmotley
10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
What this dude said.

I've had issues with my S14 where the wheels would seem like they're way out of balance, or like something was loose causing the entire car to shimmy and more often than not it's a sign of my alignment being out of whack rather than an actual component failure.

If you can imagine, when your alignment is off - especially in the rear, if you've got a good LSD or Welded Differential - your wheels are going to be fighting to go in the direction they're pointing. Eventually, they're going to start 'scrubbing' against the ground and 'figure out' how to go straight-ish. As they scrub, you'll get some vibrations since the tire is trying to slip against the pavement. If you're having a hard time visualizing this, go get an eraser and run it along an abrasive surface. You'll see that it wants to 'skip' or 'hop' rather than smoothly wearing away.

gotcha.. thanks but i've found a more economical way to get out of this car, its been a problem since i got it and im done with it

Has no alignment

Wonders why car feels squirrely
http://www.taylorclark.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/picard.jpg

the thing was I never felt anything, I drove this car multiple times at 60+ and it never wobbled or felt "squirrely".. i had to have someone following me to even catch what was going on