PDA

View Full Version : front main seal leak, searched

MuteTurkey
09-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I searched this forum and others but my question wasn't covered. I replaced my front main seal recently, bought from a Nissan dealership, and now the leak is worse. I carefully pulled the old one out and tapped the new one in, took me about 15 mins to tap it in just to be safe. I also bought and installed a new key. I was able to find that some people recommend greasing the seal before installation, will not doing this make it leak worse? Somebody recommended looking into a 300zx seal as it may be thicker; I wasn't able to find anything on that. I go through 3 quarts a week as this is my daily so the leak is pretty bad and yes I check it daily. Any advice would be appreciated.

zerodameaon
09-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Bet you need a new harmonic balancer. A little grove wears into the balancer where the seal rides.

jr_ss
09-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Some times, like Zero said, the seal wears a groove into the crank pulley, where the seal rides. I would pull the harmonic balancer off and look at the snout that slides into the main seal. If there are some scratches and or a small groove you need to purchase a new harmonic balancer.

Mikester
09-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Not to insult anyone's intelligence... but for OP's SA, the seals are one-way-only... If installed backwards, it will force oil out, rather than keep it in. Not saying this is the case, but ya never know.

az_240
09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Usually the seal sits flush with the front cover from the factory. If there is a groove on your crank pulley you can always mount the seal further in so it's not stuck in that groove. A little engine oil around the seal helps the thing slide in. Also make sure it's not crooked or it will leak again fairly quick.

turninheadz
09-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Usually the seal sits flush with the front cover from the factory. If there is a groove on your crank pulley you can always mount the seal further in so it's not stuck in that groove. A little engine oil around the seal helps the thing slide in. Also make sure it's not crooked or it will leak again fairly quick.

^ this. i mounted mine a little further in and no issues. while this may not solve your issue, it's a good step to follow, short of getting a new balancer