PDA

View Full Version : SR20 Fan Clutch Alternative?

choleaoum
06-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Hey so I'm having some clearance issues with installing the SR20 stock fan clutch into my Datsun. Long story short, do they offer a slightly thinner version of the fan? I know GPSports makes a 10 blade one but I'm not quite sure if it's thinner.

I would prefer to run a clutch fan.

GP SPORTS@/@ƒƒKƒeƒbƒNƒN[ƒ*ƒ“ƒOƒtƒ@ƒ“ (http://www.gpsports.co.jp/otr/fan/index.html)

Sileighty_85
06-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Hard to explain

You can recess the blades more by mounting the blades on the "other" (back) side of the clutch

codyace
06-02-2013, 07:36 AM
I don't mean to turn this into a debate, but have you considered a nice set of E fans? Just curious as the cost to adapt them is the same as that megafan

mantas
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't mean to turn this into a debate, but have you considered a nice set of E fans? Just curious as the cost to adapt them is the same as that megafan

Dont listen to him. Efans are absolute shit, too many things can go wrong, blown fuse sensor not at right temp, gets too cold or hot during summmer or winter blah blah. Codyce knows whats he is talking about most of the time but seriously cut the radiator support or do something to make it fit - you will be glad you did....

choleaoum
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
yeah, i'm trying to avoid running an electric fan. and i think i understand what you're telling me, pretty much reverse mounting the fan blade? that's a great idea i will try it out in the morning. that might just give me enough clearance.

codyace
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Dont listen to him. Efans are absolute shit, too many things can go wrong, blown fuse sensor not at right temp, gets too cold or hot during summmer or winter blah blah. Codyce knows whats he is talking about most of the time but seriously cut the radiator support or do something to make it fit - you will be glad you did....

There is no doubt there are additional failure points added when going electric fan, but I'll be hard pressed to find any examples of properly setup E fans that don't work. The key to the fan setup is using quality relays, with proper wiring, and the sort.

In regard to too hot/too cold how is that possible when the thermostat regulates temperature? Atop of that the fans are only really 'working' at sub 30ish mph anyway...anything above that uses airflow through the radiator more than anything.

I know my car has thousands of track miles in the blazing heat of summer, never once had an issue with my Altima fan setup...ever. And to think the fans came out of a car that had over 100K on it when I got it out of the junkyard. OEM quality parts last an OEM length of time...

Properly installed quality fan setup > mechanical fan > crappy efan setup. Not to menton the added room to work on the car withouthaving that big shroud and fan in the way :D

ShadowMan
06-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I have shitty 1100 cfm e-fans mounted directly to the radiator with those shitty e-fan zip ties run with shitty wire to a couple of shitty switches (1 for each shitty fan. I don't have any problems with my shit, and I drift and daily my shitty shit box. I did weld me a rusty ass front duct that feeds it the neccesary incoming air tho. hahahaha. Seriously, you're trying to find some space to get a mechanical fan jammed in there, and you're still going to have to use the shroud and most likely modify that as well. By the time you get this mechanical fan and shroud modified and installed, you would have been able to go with an e-fan set-up, with relays and thermostat, or just a simple switch setup that would work equally as good. Modifying your clutch fan just opens up equally bad oppurtunities for failure, even more so because it's attached to the water pump. You should really consider what you're about to do and if it's worth it and the other roads available however unpopular they may be. I always read that clutch fans are the "bomb diggity dig" or the "bees knees" and I'm not debating their functionality, but I don't have problems with my setup, and like I said, it's a shittay set-up, not proper whatsoever.

Kingtal0n
06-02-2013, 06:05 PM
+2 cut the core support. Make yourself a custom aluminum cover to cover the cuts. Ive seen it done on plenty of 2j swaps and it looks very nice when done right.

see it?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/draglarry/2jz_blue240/DSCN0681.jpg

See the aluminum cover around the radiator? that hides the cut out portion of the core support. its all in the detail of the cover to make it look professional. I dont make that piece myself there was a guy who used to come by the shop when there was a shop, we all called him "pops"
and he was very meticulous with that kind of work. He made that piece. Its not that big of a deal or difficult to make but credit goes where credit is due.

Also- if the new radiator position happens to interfere with the condenser, you can find yourself a smaller condenser like from a honda and make custom lines at a local hydraulic shop and hide it somewhere.

zerodameaon
06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
...Codyce knows whats he is talking about...

Yes he does and I am going to have to back him on the proper setup being the proper fix here. I have Altima fans wired in with good relays and proper wiring and I have zero worries that it will go out on me. I have around 10,00mi on them with no problems. Also if efans were such a bad thing OEMs would not be installing them on virtually all new cars. You just have to use your head and do it right. Plus with Efans you don't have to go chopping up your core support.

Sileighty_85
06-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I agree it depends on the quality of parts.

My RB stays cool just fine with a set of FAL pushers Nismo Thermo and a PWM Fan controller in Lousiana 100+* weather with a condenser inthe middle.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Miyukis%20Silvia/DSCN4556.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Miyukis%20Silvia/DSCN4558.jpg

Mikester
06-03-2013, 06:49 AM
I run this fan on mine:

GKTech Replacement Engine fan - Nissan S13/S14/S15 SR20DET (http://www.frsport.com/index.php?target=products&mode=details&product_id=59175)

Definitely smaller diameter, and I am fairly certain that the blades don't protrude nearly as far into the shroud- However, I'd like to see a pic of your clearance before telling you YES- it's the way to go.

choleaoum
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
i'm running a custom half size radiator and my intercooler piping is in the way of my fan. it's for my '73 datsun 510.

Mikester
06-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Can you post pic? Might get you better advice.

choleaoum
06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
i will when i head to the shop that has my car.

Mikester
06-05-2013, 07:02 AM
You may consider a pusher (?) setup on the opposite side of the radiator then...

and the GKtech fan is actually larger diamter than stock- only a few mm to spare in my shroud.

choleaoum
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
there is a intercooler right in front of the radiator. absolute zero clearance. my second option was running in the rear! lol

zerodameaon
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Run a pull type setup then.

choleaoum
06-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Run a pull type setup then.

what part of i want to run a fan clutch do you not understand? i'm not sure how many times i should repeat myself.

i want to run a fan clutch.

should i say it again?

i have a puller fan that i will run temporarily, but in hindsight i want to be able to run fan clutch. which is why i asked for a thinner fan clutch blade.

@mikester, you have been a great help thank you.

Sileighty_85
06-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Have you tired my suggestion yet?

mad-ass
06-06-2013, 06:08 AM
get a custom sized radiator and tuck it in the radiator support.

should give you enough room to mount the fan at that point.

I am going to assume you don't have AC condenser to worry about tucking the radiator. Hell, if you have to get a different intercooler in order for you to keep your clutch fan, then go for it.

any..post a pic of your current motor/radiator clearance...

But..since your thread title does state "clutch fan alternative".....if all fails...properly shrouded and mounted e-fans are way to go. been running e-fans on my 240's since 2008 and put over 20k miles on it...never over heated[track/drift/daily/AC at 100F weather].

edit: so I searched for 510 SR20det on google... I only see 2 or 3 different cars running clutch fans and rest are running e-fans...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3462/3367561123_ae4414d05f.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/whatthehellisapodcast/My%20SR20%20turbo%20Datsun%20510/Datsunengine.png

i am going to assume the clearance you have that you are talking about isn't much better then the pics I just posted...
and also seems like it all depends on your intercooler piping routing that matters on this one a lot.

Mikester
06-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Since you are dead-set on a clutch fan, it seems your best bet may be to relocate the radiator farther forward and make sure the shroud is made accordingly. I am not familiar with 510's, but you are probably looking at a fair amount of fab-work... Also, depending on how your FMIC is set up, you may have to explore different possibilities for less intrusive piping setups.

zerodameaon
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
what part of i want to run a fan clutch do you not understand? i'm not sure how many times i should repeat myself.

(edit due to overuse of copy paste)

should i say it again?

i have a puller fan that i will run temporarily, but in hindsight i want to be able to run fan clutch. which is why i asked for a thinner fan clutch blade.

@mikester, you have been a great help thank you.

We understand it just fine, but have you not been listening to what most of us have been saying?
What do you not understand about a efan is going to be much easier and just as reliable unless you cheap out and use ebay junk?

Not to mention you will have to make a custom shroud or not run one at all, that and Mikester gave you the other alternative for clutch fans. None are going to get any thinner than that.