PDA

View Full Version : s14 ka in s13 wont crank

xDRFTurR1D3x
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
96 ka in s13. Replaced the required dizzy, ecu, maf, engine harness for s13 parts This thing is soooo close to starting. Had the old starter tested and it tested good three times. Picked up another one and its doing the same thing. The motor wouldnt turn over at all at first so I turned the motor over by hand to make sure it wasnt seized and it also has compression. So I pulled the battery cable from my power block amd put it straight to the starter . The car dims when you turn the key and can hear a single click from the passenger side possibly the engine bay but no cranking. New wiring specialties lower harness, triple checked that the wires were matched up correctly from removing the aftermarket alarm. Evrythings got 12.4 volts. Aside from bypassing the clutch pedal wiring and replacing the relays under the hood , I and a few others here are completely out of ideas possibilities and things to test and check, double check, annddd triple check. Im out of time now to get this thing running. checked the signal wire and all the power wires for juice, as well as continuity on all the ground wires and their grounding points. Every fuse was checked just for the hell of*it. Ran some more tests yesterday. Signal wire from the lower harness reads 12.1 volts when the key is turned. Used a speaker wire from my power block to the signal wire on the starter and it clicks very quickly. I think if I used a bigger wire it would turn the starter over. If it doesnt does that mean my starter is bad? Also everything gets 12.4 volts starter, power block, alternator etc.. Once the key is turned on tho everything drops to 10.8 volts. The battery is a few months old so this isnt making a lot of sense to me. Also tested some relays. One the topo of the relays it shows that certain terminals should have constant continuity. A few of them dont show any so may I assume those relays are bad and need replacing? Finally, I checked everything for power and continuity at the engine bay fuse block. Everythinb had power except fuel pump relay and the 10 amp engine cont relay. Are those something that need constant power or should they not show power until the motor is running? Ive got 2 gauge amp power wire bolted to my block going to the passenger motor mount, then it leads to the stock ground point on then IM, from there it feeds to the passenger side strut tower where ive checked continuity with every possible combintation of the grounding points so hopefully thats all kosher? The batteryis less than six months old so I dont understand why theres such a big voltage drop with the key on? Could a break in the power wire cause this? I would think a break would just ground out and trip the breaker?

xDRFTurR1D3x
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Damn.... no love?
Did some small things to the batteries main grounds, terminals, power wires etc. Power is 11.6 volts with key on now. Signal wire is putting out 11.6 volts with a voltmeter hooked up but when its hooked up properly to harness and starter just nothing? If I take a 2 gauge piece of wire and jump it to the signal wire it clicks quickly now instead of just one click. Sooooo getting closer I guess? Im to the point of pulling the entire chassis harness . If I cant find anything wrong ill replace the bastard. If I go that far and pull the dash, I may as well relocate fuse boxs to the interior while im at it. So.... figured id update and hope for some interest after this update lol.

codyace
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
First and foremost, It's really hard to follow such a large paragraph, it really helps to use paragraphs to seperate your thoughts. That also helps those who read it, as such a large block of texted undoubtedly pushes people away from even reading it/bothering to help

With that said, are you sure the battery is good? Lets say you hook up another car (running) with jumper cables....does the car turn over and start? It really sounds like a bad battery/weak battery at this point.

xDRFTurR1D3x
02-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Thats my fault and I apologize. I copy pasted all of my posts from a thred at a local forum

The battery was purchased brand new in dec or jan. Battery is also wrapped in a wool blanket so the extreme cold doesnt kill a cell in it.
**** its cold as balls outside update********Ok im not sure wat I did, but the starter kicks with the keyed ignition meow. I was getting 12 volts from the signalWith the key forward and continuity from signal wire and both starter terminals. Tightened down power wire terminal on the starter.for watever reason I decided put the test wire that I was connecting to the lead on my voltmeter in the female end of the signal wire then plug the female and male ends together with the test wire hanging out connected to my voltmeter lead. I guess I wanted to see the voltage while the were connected. Im not sure why since the starter didnt seem to be getting signal from the signal wire using the keyed ignition. BUT for watever reason the starter tries to work now with the key so im one step closer and thats a huge relief. FINALLY some sort of progress. Well now the signal wire is only getting 9.9 volts while turning the key. Also instead of clicking just once its clicking repetitively. But at least its working with the ignition meow. At first I was only getting 10.8 volts again at the power block with the key on. The battery was showing 12.4 volts with the ignion on but the power block went back up to 11.6 volts . To test the power wire itself am I correct in disconnecting my power wire from the power block and testing the voltage at the end of the wire itself? So if it reads below 12.4 volts its the power wire, and if it doesnt then its something in the fuse box? I think thats right can someone confirm. Also I was thinking about continually testing the passenger fuse box and pulling out wires one at a time from the fuse box to the power block until the voltage jumps. Then watever wire the voltage jumps when removed is where my problem is . I think thats right. Well ill do this tomorrow I gotta be at work at 530 so im def done for the night. I appreciate those reading and providing input on this thread considering how long it is and how little progress it has.Oh yea..... its cold as balls out there!

Also my grammar isnt the greatest. I hate typing on my tablet in forums. The touch screen cant keep up but the blue tooth keyboard is on its way and will hopefully be here soon