PDA

View Full Version : CA18det white smoke, hard start, misfires

purplove
01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
So I went with a ca swap I picked up from an importer this year. I redid most gaskets, all belts, and all the hoses. I wired or correctly(solder, heat shrink, wrapped with elec tape). It's been blowing white smoke since the first start and it smells strongly of fuel. It studders really hard on start up, mostly cold starts. Also, it misfired at idle and up to about 3.5k-4k. Oil smells like gas. It's only idled for a total of an 1.5 hours and a few drives around the block which is a very small distance.

Things I've done:
Compression test(150,149,149,150)
New fpr set to 28psi with vacuum.
Changed oil.
Changed spark plugs.
Checked resistance across injectors and coil packs
New o2 sensor

Mods:
Tomei fpr
Hks ssq bov VTA
Aftermarket manifold
Full 3" apexi exhaust
Water to air intercooler setup
CAI
Boost gauge
Waiting on my oil pressure gauge
Sr20 clutch&flywheel setup
Aluminum radiator with elec fan
Kade tb with ca tps
Weapon r catch can

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

blksylv
01-26-2013, 10:41 AM
stuck injector or a bad injector o ring

purplove
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I've replaced o rings already and with a stethoscope i can hear clicking. Wouldn't this tell me if it is stuck open? I don't smell gas near my engine bay.

boyou2
01-26-2013, 02:10 PM
first, set your fuel pressure a 35psi without vacuum

second, check your mass return from your injectors, if it's there continuity between injectors and the chassis, your ECU has a problem (injectors are opening to the chassis mass only via the ECU)

if you can, use an OEM FPR.

how is plugged your OCT?

purplove
01-26-2013, 04:44 PM
My fuel pressure is set to 36 psi without vacuum which is correct according to the fsm.
My oem fpr showed 36 psi with vacuum which is why I switched over to the adjustable.
What is an OCT?
I will check for continuity tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys, anyone else feel like chiming in?

rcdad123
01-26-2013, 09:57 PM
also, check your spark plugs, if one is darker than the other, that is the problem cylinder. if it is darker than the others, check the injector and ignition on that cylinder. if all of them are the same color which should be dark because its running really rich. check and make sure the wires you fixed dont touch other wires. and try not to keep the engine running in this condition or you will mess up the bearings and piston rings due to fuel diluted oil.

purplove
01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
It been raining alot down here lately and my cars outside :bash:

Ill check the plugs, probably even scoop up some new ones.
I havent driven the car but twice around the block when I first got it started. It ran great besides the misfires and white smoke everywhere.
I got my oil pressure gauge back from megan racing. Oil pressure is steady at 46psi. Thanks for the help guys, Ill be reporting back shortly.

ilovecoupes
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Have you checked the timing? Make sure all the timing marks on the timing belt line up.

Also make sure your key on the exhaust cam for the CAS isn't broken.

You can also try swtiching out MAFs, a KA-e MAF will work.

gerardogomez0809
01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Have you checked the timing? Make sure all the timing marks on the timing belt line up.

Also make sure your key on the exhaust cam for the CAS isn't broken.

You can also try swtiching out MAFs, a KA-e MAF will work.

Is the ka maf a plug and play or would it need wiring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ilovecoupes
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Is the ka maf a plug and play or would it need wiring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you'll have to re-wire it. CA Maf is 4 wire [ABCD], KA-e is 3 Wire[ABC].
Or you can hack up the male plug of the KA maf to accept the female CA end MAF plug.

boyou2
01-31-2013, 03:51 AM
CA Maf is 4 wire [ABCD], KA-e is 3 Wire[ABC].

it depends of the generation of the engine, some have 3wires (O² version)

OCT = Oil Catch Tank