PDA

View Full Version : S13 cluster problem

Seraphim38
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
So my 1989 240sx hatchback had an issue with the stock cluster: the oem temp gauge stopped working (replaced the sensor and verified wiring was working), and the speedometer would overstate speed intermittently so I was told to replace the cluster.

I ordered an S13 JDM cluster 180kmh cluster from another user on this board, and the cluster was in great shape with only 14k original km. I swapped the clusters and found that only the left half lit up so I replaced the bulbs with the ones from my old cluster and it still wouldn't like up. Next I take it for a drive and only the warning lights work: the gas gauge, speedomoter, tach and temp gauge now do nothing.

What do I do?

Seraphim38
04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
So, I just took the dash apart and confirmed that all the connections were well seated and that they can't be put in backwards. When I remove the far left multipin connector the car died, otherwise with connections reseated, there was no change in the display functionality. I then swapped back in my old gauge set and voila, the tach and gas gauge work immediately. I haven't test driven it to confirm that the speedo works again but since it is my original gauge set I presume that it will.

I thought that all DOHC S13 gauge sets were interchangeable? Could I have gotten an SOHC gauge set by mistake?

RandallSharp
04-06-2012, 11:46 PM
So, I just took the dash apart and confirmed that all the connections were well seated and that they can't be put in backwards. When I remove the far left multipin connector the car died, otherwise with connections reseated, there was no change in the display functionality. I then swapped back in my old gauge set and voila, the tach and gas gauge work immediately. I haven't test driven it to confirm that the speedo works again but since it is my original gauge set I presume that it will.

I thought that all DOHC S13 gauge sets were interchangeable? Could I have gotten an SOHC gauge set by mistake?

If it's in Km/h, doesn't that mean it was originally for a CA? That engine was DOHC, correct? So that can't be it. I have a JDM s13 cluster in mine and it works just fine.