PDA

View Full Version : cross threaded nut on a lose stud

TerrySilysacks
12-10-2011, 09:04 AM
my problem is, how do i break it, the lug nut is cross threaded on the stud and the stud is spinning lose on the hub which makes the stud and nut spinning the same time.

things ive tried

put presser and break with a cheater bar-fail
take the socket 19 and break it lose-fail
tried beating on it-fail
impact gun-fail

so i fail and fail and fail

S.O.S :hs:

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Same way it got cross threaded, impact gun.

TerrySilysacks
12-10-2011, 09:16 AM
tried that too. nut is spinning with stud

Mercury_Hg
12-10-2011, 09:35 AM
tried that too. stud is spinning with it still
There's nothing you can do, man, except sell your car for scrap. I'll give you about $3.50.

:naughtyd:

Would torching it first help?

Also is the stud pressed in all the way, or is the nut all the way back? If not beat it out as far as you can and grip the backside with locking pliers before wrenching on it.

TerrySilysacks
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
its stuck between a 25mm spacer. and stud was press in and suddenly pop out some how. i cant even get a vice grip on it aka locking pliers

S13.75DET
12-10-2011, 10:34 AM
is the wheel still on? If yes, i would turn the wheel all the way to one side and use an oxy-ace torch to cut the back of the stud off. or a hack saw if you can get it to fit. or attach a chain around your wheel and hook up to a truck and yank it off lol

if no you can use a locking adjustable wrench to hold the nut while you a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder or hacksaw to cut the studd in half, or you can remove your entire hub assembly and have the stud pressed in with a table vice, or c-clamp so you can try to get the nut off....

S13.75DET
12-10-2011, 10:35 AM
its stuck between a 25mm spacer. and stud was press in and suddenly pop out some how. i cant even get a vice grip on it aka locking pliers

obviously the stud wasn't pressed in correctly also:axe:

rcdad123
12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
you can bend or tear the dust shield in the back side of the rotor and then weld the stud onto the hub. make sure you weld it good enough so that when you try to gun it off, the stud stays in place. once you get the wheel off, you can grind the weld off of the stud.

Sileighty_85
12-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Drill it out

c_mancuyas8
12-11-2011, 07:45 PM
^^^This. Ive had the same prob before and this was my last option but it worked. If you dont have a steady hand I hope you have cheap wheels!

Darren
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
you can bend or tear the dust shield in the back side of the rotor and then weld the stud onto the hub. make sure you weld it good enough so that when you try to gun it off, the stud stays in place. once you get the wheel off, you can grind the weld off of the stud.

I had to do this once, worked good... wasn't an issue for me cause i just upgraded to 5 bolt anyway

holemilk00
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM
If you can get to the back of the stud, put a small spot weld on it. Once you get the lug off, cut the spot weld and change the stud.

idahotuner
12-11-2011, 09:58 PM
cut the stud and replace

RandallSharp
12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I've had this happen. We just used an impact gun to basically split the lug in two. It takes some time, but then the lug comes right off and you can push the stud through the back.