PDA

View Full Version : Ecu from auto to manual

bhester
10-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I need a definitive answer about whether or not I can keep my ecu from my automatic 1995 240sx when I swap to a manual transmission. and where is the best place to find one if needed?

SochBAT
10-05-2011, 01:18 AM
You can use the auto for the manual tranny.

bhester
10-05-2011, 08:24 AM
What do i need to do in order for it to work, like it needing to think its in park to start, and everything else?

victorw210
10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
cable that tells it its in park is just a push pull cable just push it in. in pretty sure it just delivers continuity beetween 2 ecu pic so you could just jump the wires at the ecu. look it up in fsm theres diagrams

Dorifto Machine
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Will work just fine .

You will notice a couple things:

You wont have a speed and rev limiter.
You will have a weird initial start up idle , where it will rev then go back to normal for just a few seconds.

(from experience, swap was done in my "95 s14.5")

OoAtreyuloO
10-23-2011, 02:49 PM
^^same here btw the intial startup can it damage internals .... or any damge for that matter becasue i have an auto ecu aswell

ManoNegra
10-23-2011, 03:01 PM
^^same here btw the intial startup can it damage internals .... or any damge for that matter becasue i have an auto ecu aswell

no, won't damage the motor

I need a definitive answer about whether or not I can keep my ecu from my automatic 1995 240sx when I swap to a manual transmission. and where is the best place to find one if needed?

you can look for one in ebay or here the marketplace
you'll need to be patient though
since they don't pop up often and when they do
they tend to sell quickly
be careful too, many of the ECUs I saw being advertised as manual
were actually auto ones when I looked up the codes
(the guide on JWTs site turned out to be usefull although not all codes for the late ECUs where on it - look it up on their site)

victorw210
10-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Will work just fine .

You will notice a couple things:

You wont have a speed and rev limiter.
You will have a weird initial start up idle , where it will rev then go back to normal for just a few seconds.

(from experience, swap was done in my "95 s14.5")
I have a rev limiter still it seems like its about 100rpm higher than my friends stock 5speed though. I dont have a speed limiter and it does do that weird thing on start up and i sometimes have to give it a little gas if the weather is really cold or warm or it will stall.

anonomiss240
02-04-2012, 01:09 AM
my car is manual and im putting a dohc in it and i was told the only things i need to buy is headers and an ecu, so is it the same concept going into an already manual car??

grimm199
02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure what the speed limits out to on the manual ECU, but I have gotten to 114 in mine with the Auto ECU. And I still have a rev limiter at 6500.

adey
07-19-2014, 11:32 PM
[[blast from the past!]] Just wondering - my originally-AT S13 has already been swapped to an MT, but still using the AT ECU (J5). As far as I can tell, the reverse light has been installed, and there aren't many issues I can directly associate to the MT having been swapped in. However, I have an opportunity to pick up a tuned J4 at a decent price... what might I expect if I install the J4?

Or, put another way, if the wiring has already been done for the AT ECU to accept the MT tranny, will I do any harm by now installing an MT ECU?

Thanks!

Rayne
07-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Use the MT ECU if you desire to, You might have to replace a gear sensor or two if you switch the ECU.

Mechanically speaking, swapping the ECU won't damage any of the physical transmission or engine components.