PDA

View Full Version : starter issue

c_mancuyas8
08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
About a week ago the starter solenoid on my s13 (ka24de) litterally exploaded! Starter itself was alright so i just had it rebuilt. After installing it today it started right up.. the first time and that was it. Could there have been something Im overlooking? Ive got voltage but it sounds like the starter it completely dead again when I turn the key over, nothing, like the battery is unplugged. Any advice greatly appreciated

CiF
08-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Just diagnosed my starter today!

1st check the battery terminals and battery voltage (especially if disconnected and sat for a while)
Then Starter relay (blue one) and clutch switch could have gone bad some how.
Finally the ground for your starter should be cleaned of rust /corrosion

Those are the common problems i know of.

curbhuggerrps13
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
good ole rubber mallet should do the trick. then a volt meter....they are cheap. everyone should have them

c_mancuyas8
08-18-2011, 11:49 PM
lol im an electrician i def have a meter haha although not cheap.

Just diagnosed my starter today!

1st check the battery terminals and battery voltage (especially if disconnected and sat for a while)
Then Starter relay (blue one) and clutch switch could have gone bad some how.
Finally the ground for your starter should be cleaned of rust /corrosion

Those are the common problems i know of.

Thanks ill check that out I was actually about to search for where the stater relay was. And voltage seems to be fine its like 12.78

curbhuggerrps13
08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
do you have a harbor and freights nearby? also on the s14 it ended up being the actual cylinder for ignition that caused all my troubles. if you feel confident enough jump the ignition to the starter and have a friend check for voltage to the starter. good luck it was a pain in the ass for me too

CiF
08-19-2011, 12:31 AM
lol im an electrician i def have a meter haha although not cheap.

Thanks ill check that out I was actually about to search for where the stater relay was. And voltage seems to be fine its like 12.78

Thats low charge your battery to 13+ (14.6 is full if my memory is right). Starter relay is right beside you battery! (left side faceing car)

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Fuuuuck are u serious^ im gonna jump it n see and yes trouble shooting this has sucked! I have s13 the white one on my sig

KiLLeR2001
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
12.78V is fine. Hell, my battery is sitting at 12.56V right now, and she fires right up.

A lot of times the starter signal wire from ignition is loose on the prong. If it wiggles around cut off the connector and hard wire in your own using a fuse connector.

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 01:18 AM
12.78V is fine. Hell, my battery is sitting at 12.56V right now, and she fires right up.

A lot of times the starter signal wire from ignition is loose on the prong. If it wiggles around cut off the connector and hard wire in your own using a fuse connector.

please elaborate.. Im not sure that im completely understanding. Is this the wire you are talking about? The solenoid wire?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYGC34yh0P5pIA_dyub7L8HuV2nxqwR TcxxpIDXX6H1ZnQRxkuCg

KiLLeR2001
08-19-2011, 01:38 AM
There is only two wires you hook up to the starter. The thick 12V+ constant wire from the battery and the starter ignition wire which is black w/yellow stripe. Look for the black w/yellow stripe wire and see if it is on the starter tightly.

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 01:42 AM
ok thanks will do. when i picked it up it looked like it was soldered on. you think it was weak?

CiF
08-19-2011, 01:43 AM

Well all i can say is that

1 idk why you know you current voltage on your car considering your sitting at your computer
2 i have starter problems below 13 volts

CiF
08-19-2011, 01:45 AM
ok thanks will do. when i picked it up it looked like it was soldered on. you think it was weak?

No its sounds like you need a new relay (probably) or clutch starter switch thingy

KiLLeR2001
08-19-2011, 02:00 AM

It SHOULD NOT be soldered on... Cut the soldered section off and crimp on a fuse connector and secure it to the prong so its nice and tight, then go from there. Also make sure when you are pressing the clutch pedal down to start the car, that the neutral safety switch is getting pushed in. This is also a common problem.

Well all i can say is that

1 idk why you know you current voltage on your car considering your sitting at your computer
2 i have starter problems below 13 volts

1) I walked out to the garage and checked my voltage.
2) You have other issues.

No its sounds like you need a new relay (probably) or clutch starter switch thingy

You don't know what you're talking about, I mean... you did just buy your first 240sx, didn't you? LOL.

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 02:03 AM
hahahah the clutch interlock switch is what i think youre lookin for

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 02:15 AM
where is the neutral safety switch? right behind clutch pedal? Also I left this out in my little story but the guy at the generator shop put the solenoid in upside down :/ I know right.. anyone thats changed a starter on a ka knows how tight it is and there no possible way to have the 12v constant on the inside of stater without it toching ground. so obviously i turned it back around. In doing this the solenoid switched wire ( black and yellow that is soldered) is now facing down instead of up. I dont know if this will cause issue or not but to be safe i did tape it up to prevent it from grounding to the starter body.

CiF
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
1) I walked out to the garage and checked my voltage.

Awfully concerned about it arnt you?

2) You have other issues.

No, I dont have other issues. It would be normal for a starter to not want to turn with a low battery.

You don't know what you're talking about, I mean... you did just buy your first 240sx, didn't you? LOL.

So what if i just bought my 1st 240! That doesn't mean its my 1st car. I do know what im talking about considering i just went through all the wiring diagrams yesterday removing a viper alarm system from my car that was locking the starter out!(most of the pieces where gone when i got it) and yes i also went over the rest of the starter wiring so i knew everything was in good shape after 20 years.

So did switching the solenoid around get it working again? and yea the switch is right behind the clutch pedal, a lil rubber pad pushes it down.

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes after turning it around it started once but that was it its not starting now. Pickin up a extra today n gonna see how that works out

KiLLeR2001
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
No, I dont have other issues. It would be normal for a starter to not want to turn with a low battery.

Usually if the battery is low it'll crank really slow. If its extremely low then you're right, it won't start at all. However, he stated a battery voltage of 12.78 which is sufficient enough to turn the starter over.

Hopefully a new starter fixes the issue.

c_mancuyas8
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Update: CAR RUNNING :) apparently I did just have crap connections needless to say that guy will never touch or get near my car again! Thanks for the help fellas!