PDA

View Full Version : Whine under acceleration

Ottoman
06-26-2011, 02:01 AM
95 SE with 113k stock KA+5spd

it almost sounds like a supercharger whine.. NEEEEE or an electric motor sort of sound...

it only happens on the gas.. on the over run, or in neutral there is no sound..
revving the engine doesn't make the sound either,
feels more speed dependant as well.. but if u go too fast the sound fades (or the rest of the NVH takes over heh)

happens in any gear..

doesn't feel like the usual release bearing/throwout bearing or pilot bearing type of stuff to me..

ideas?

AutechKouki
06-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Does it make the noise if you put it in neutral while the car is moving? How's the oil in the tranny?

nissan4ever
06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe the clutch fan? When it starts to go, it can make a loud whining noise during acceleration.

FRpilot
06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
i just have a similar problem too on my 91 240sx coupe that just started yesterday. i added power streering fluid (atf) this morning and just finished changing my oil and replaced with some thicker 10w-40 for summer.

the whine is still there and my car feels less torquey than usual. it usually feels strong, but on the freeway it feels really weak at 70mph. engine sounds like something is wrong or low on oil. i'm not sure if this is related to any accessories going out or clutch fan since the car doesn't feel strong as usual. anyone have a problem like this before?

Ottoman
06-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Does it make the noise if you put it in neutral while the car is moving? How's the oil in the tranny?

nope, as soon as u let go of the throttle sound ceases..

i'll chk the oil level in the tranny when I get a chance this wknd.. but it shifts fine no grinding or resistance

Maybe the clutch fan? When it starts to go, it can make a loud whining noise during acceleration.

it has an E-fan...

Robb
06-28-2011, 12:58 PM
My auto tranny has a dull whine in first, not that it helps, but just some input.

Highway Riding
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
i vote flywheel

conekiller
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
do you have a welded diff?

Ottoman
06-30-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the Diff

the diff COULD be welded yes.. but I asked some friends and they said their diffs didn't whine when welded...

chances are the bearings are toast..

I don't know if it can be rebuilt?

conekiller
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the Diff

the diff COULD be welded yes.. but I asked some friends and they said their diffs didn't whine when welded...

chances are the bearings are toast..

I don't know if it can be rebuilt?

do your tires chirp when your in a parkinglot turning? it could be that you need more fluid or its just the way the diff was welded.