PDA

View Full Version : SR won't start :-(

WorkInProgress
05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I had to yank everything on the exhaust side and replace a leaky gasket. I've put it all back together but low and behold, now it won't crank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyj1O9TebBM

I've tried bypassing the clutch interlock relay up front, not entirely sure I did that correctly. I've checked the ground wires but I'm not sure how many there are. The one on the head to the firewall is connected, I see two on the intake manifold..how many others should I look for? I listened to see if my fuel pump whines and I can hear it when I turn the key. Tried jumping the car, no luck. I haven't checked the battery with the multimeter but lights come on..will check for dimness when it gets darker.

Any other ideas? I don't smell gas either so I don't think I'm flooding it.

fufanu180
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
It just clicks or what when you turn the key?

Did you plug up the O2? If it ran before then you're just overlooking something...possibly something very simple. Was it apart for a while to let the battery run low on juice?

WorkInProgress
05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
It just clicks or what when you turn the key?

Did you plug up the O2? If it ran before then you're just overlooking something...possibly something very simple. Was it apart for a while to let the battery run low on juice?

I posted a link to a vid, does it work?

It doesn't just click, it's turning over but won't crank. I plugged the o2 sensor back up. It was apart for like a month because I was slammed with work and school so working on it took a while.

ska
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
sounds like a dead battery or your engines flooded. try holding the gas pedal down and cranking it.

fufanu180
05-23-2011, 06:20 PM
sounds like a dead battery or your engines flooded. try holding the gas pedal down and cranking it.

This is very likely. Since the battery is low the car won't want to crank fully over but this won't hinder the flow of the injectors so you are very likely flooding the engine. Likely scenario.

WorkInProgress
05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

I tried that as well. No dice. If it were the battery, shouldn't it have cranked off a jump? Because it didn't.

WorkInProgress
05-23-2011, 06:28 PM
This is very likely. Since the battery is low the car won't want to crank fully over but this won't hinder the flow of the injectors so you are very likely flooding the engine. Likely scenario.

Alright, so guess the follow up question is what next?

I haven't checked the spark plugs.

cotbu
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
have you verified spark and visually seen the injectors fire? if they're both ok, check mechanical timing. If you were down for a bit, try new gas or starting fluid <--temp just to verify somethings

fufanu180
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, check for spark next. Obviously you're getting fuel so move on.

Gnarbar
05-23-2011, 06:33 PM
if it wont crank check starter signal, or pull the starter out and bench test it. it could be a coincidence that your starter just took a dump after you were done everything

edit: just watched the video check for spark or pull plugs out and burn the fuel out with a propane torch, but be carefull cause if theres enough fuel in your cylinders it will ignite pretty fierce and turn the engine over

WorkInProgress
05-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Aright..thanks guys... I'll keep everybody posted. I don't have a garage and the sun is dropping fast so I'll pick up with it in the morning.

WorkInProgress
05-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Problem solved. Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled a coilpack that was a bit loose, reinstalled, and held the pedal down while trying to crank. It finally came back to life.