PDA

View Full Version : Starter Groundings???

240sR4drifting
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Well my 95 240 won't start and i recently found out why... i got a new starter and that didn't fix it... but after testing it with jumper cables i found out that the ground(s) for my starter are bad... i don't know where they lead to but i've sanded all the grounds i have found... and now it still won't start and i was told re-wiring it would fix the grounding problem... so where do i re-ground it to and how?

-Thanks!

Sileighty_85
05-19-2011, 06:10 PM
the starter is grounded through the housing.
Where the stater meets the engine and the bolts are the grounds for it.

240sR4drifting
05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Okay... i don't know if there is any difference between 240sx engines/starters but my starter looks like it grounds to itself? and i had it half way in (the starter is difficult to get in and out) and it wouldn't buzz or anything... are you saying it must be bolted in to work? and that it will not work if i just had it siting (wired up) out side of the car?
the starter is grounded through the housing.
Where the stater meets the engine and the bolts are the grounds for it.

Sileighty_85
05-19-2011, 08:35 PM
the housing is the ground.

You can test it by putting the neg on the starter housing and 12V on the 12mm nut then applying 12V to the spade terminal.

Be careful the starter will jump when you put 12V on the spade terminal

240sR4drifting
05-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Ya... i'm a little inexperienced with electrical type of stuff so could you tell in more detail what you mean? And if i were to have the starter sitting below the car, but with he positive connected and the plug plugged in, if i were to turn the key should it will it jump? or does it have to be bolted in to engage? the housing is the ground.

You can test it by putting the neg on the starter housing and 12V on the 12mm nut then applying 12V to the spade terminal.

Be careful the starter will jump when you put 12V on the spade terminal

datsunnazi
05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Hook up your starter signal wire. It randomly falls off all the time on mine.

fufanu180
05-21-2011, 05:55 PM
He means take a stray wire that's laying around, hook it up to the only terminal that's available(since the other one is the ground that should be hooked up to the casing of the starter) and then run that stray wire to the positive on the battery terminal. It should kick out and spin but he means be carful, it's really jumpy.

The casing of the starter is the "ground" so by bolting it on to the motor it will complete the circuit.

tx240ss
05-25-2011, 04:30 PM
the starter is grounded to the block... just make sure your block is properly grounded to the chassis.