PDA

View Full Version : 94 cougar drifting

reubtube
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey guys. Im just starting to get into drifting and for now all i can afford is this 94 Mercury cougar. i know this site is all about 240s but i was hoping you pros out there could let me know if drifting with a cougar is possible/practical. Please help me out. its rwd v6 super charged. thank you

Chaw wee
05-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Auto? or 5 speed

How much does the pig weigh?
Lsd, open diff, welded?

reubtube
05-19-2011, 04:29 PM
im ganna get a manual transmission not sure about the diff but those are things that i can fix my self i just want to know would it be worth doing

srstan
05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
no. just buy a cheap s13.

Steinkrunk
05-19-2011, 04:39 PM
as long as you get a set of XXR's, a bike rack and some stickars that thing will drift like DK in no time!! Who cares if it'll drift. I say use it as a beater, save your pennies and buy a more usable platform. Yea, you can use that different word here to try to be cool, but it'll just be a waste of time. Use it to learn control/fuck around in the rain. If you have to ask "will it be good for teh DRIFT??" then you obviously don't have much seat time actually drifting or even high performance driving for that matter.

^^Long answer

VV Short answer.

Yes it can drift, no it won't be good at it. Leave it as it is and make it a beater

reubtube
05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
as long as you get a set of XXR's, a bike rack and some stickars that thing will drift like DK in no time!! Who cares if it'll drift. I say use it as a beater, save your pennies and buy a more usable platform. Yea, you can use that different word here to try to be cool, but it'll just be a waste of time. Use it to learn control/fuck around in the rain. If you have to ask "will it be good for teh DRIFT??" then you obviously don't have much seat time actually drifting or even high performance driving for that matter.

^^Long answer

VV Short answer.

Yes it can drift, no it won't be good at it. Leave it as it is and make it a beater
So educate me plz what makes a cougar a crappy drifting car is it the shape?
im just trying to learn not trying to be a jerk or anything.

s13 @ fullboost
05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
post pics of the car !!!!!!! I wanna see a cougar drifting

jontron5000
05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Well first of all, your car is not light (3500 pounds w/ the V6, 3800 with the V8) so have a good time trying to control that.

The car just looks (and probably is) cumbersome, It looks slow and uninspiring to drive. In comparison to to an s13 which is about 900 pounds lighter, its nowhere gonna be as good at drifting (which is your main topic here) but I'm sure it'll be great for getting from point A to point B

irax
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
actually, foxbody mustangs (which IIRC thats the platform it was based on) do just fine despite all the bullshit you will hear from ricer fan fucks on this forum.

yes its a little heavy, but fuckers drift supras all day and don't give a fuck, so to make it easy its going to cost power, which wont be hard because the 5.0 shouldn't be hard to swap in that car.

Save your pennies.. yeah, but to buy a v8 swap, suspension, and rearends

or you can be a pussy and buy an s13 like the rest of these fan fucks

s13 @ fullboost
05-20-2011, 08:47 PM
heyy I like being a fan fuck in my fan fuck s13

irax
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
heyy I like being a fan fuck in my fan fuck s13

LOL! I wasn't talking about you since you kept it positive!

xenon even made a kit for the cougar too!

http://www.bodykits.net/images/bodykits_net/168563/00.jpg

some one photoshop it so its hella flush, and drifting

reubtube
05-20-2011, 09:09 PM
actually, foxbody mustangs (which IIRC thats the platform it was based on) do just fine despite all the bullshit you will hear from ricer fan fucks on this forum.

yes its a little heavy, but fuckers drift supras all day and don't give a fuck, so to make it easy its going to cost power, which wont be hard because the 5.0 shouldn't be hard to swap in that car.

Thank you for the info and for being positive. I didn't want to be different or whatever its just what i have to work with. i Guess my next question now would be besides coil overs and a diff how can i improve it

sr20sean
05-20-2011, 09:13 PM
pretty sure they only make springs for that car. also that car is nose heavy like the sn95 mustangs

irax
05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
so other than, V8 Swap + manual transmission, Coilovers, Diff
until you have the funds for that do a lot of research on the sn95 mustangs and find out for your self what parts interchange and what don't. Replace all the bushings of the arms and suspension links you are not going to replace with adjustable ones. Make sure the brakes are in top order. Make sure it will last you until you do the pre-fore-mentioned stuff. Make sure the powersteering, A/C, and ALT are up to snuff and function properly. There are a lot of little things that you can do to make it handle better but this is the wrong forum to ask. So the best I can tell you is pretty generic.

Steinkrunk
05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
wow, this thread got quite the revival.

I wasn't trying to be a fanboy and say "GET AN S13 OR DIE!!!!11!!". I was just trying to point out that since this guy sounds like he doesn't have much experience/knowledge in the subject:

what makes a cougar a crappy drifting car is it the shape?

So he shouldn't be trying to pioneer anything and should stick with something that is a proven formula. He is already asking where to buy coilovers and how to get his diff "DRIFT SPEC YO". Sorry to sound like a debbie downer but listen to my advice. Keep this car as a beater, you will wish you had when you wrap your cougar around a tree and then have no form of transport.

Further research edit: seems this is the 230hp/330tq motor that came in the super coupes. So not to shabby for a start, you may be able to save this thing. Sinking some cash into the supercharged motor may net you close to 300hp, and plenty of torque. Find a way to shed about 500lbs and you'll have a decent power to weight ratio. Then find a 5 speed gearbox and drop it in. Most likely if ford marketed this as a "performance" model there has to be some sort of LSD in there. Do a burnout and see if both wheels spin, if they do you have at least something to get started. From there have some fun in the rain, practice practice practice. Slowly upgrade the suspension and work on things the car needs (stiffer suspension, bushings, etc.). That's pretty much all I can say, just have fun with it and don't kill yourself.

And I definately am not a domestic hater, my brother owns a fox-body mustang and that thing is ferocious, annihilates tires all the way to 3rd and he can hold a mean slide in it. But he has also owned the car since he was in high school (26 now) and has put alot of money and time into it.

Internet lesson: A nissan site is a shitty place to learn about a ford. There are plenty of ford forums out there that can probably help you out way better than zilvia can.

blingbling
05-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Dude, drifting a cougar is ballin outta control and anyone that doesn't wanna see this shit go down, step aside because I wanna see this bitch get sideways.

Check this one out haha.

YouTube - ‪Parking drift in old 1994 cougar‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwUtyDkC9yo&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Steinkrunk
05-20-2011, 09:51 PM
might want to swap the rear end to a posi unit with higher gearing. That car most likely has a 2.73 final drive. Putting in a posi 3.73 from a mustang would really wake the car up and probably destroy tires in the first two gears

HyperTek
05-20-2011, 10:00 PM
off topic but i used to like the thunderbird sc. those where good looking cars for their time

sr20sean
05-20-2011, 10:02 PM
throw a 31 spline in there.

fyneyoungstunna
05-21-2011, 12:30 AM
yes you can drift a cougar, there is a guy that drifts an impal (the big as boat ones) here.

there used to be a pretty good website called Domestic drift .com
thats where i got the info on drifting my 87 camaro and IIRC it was founded by a guy that drift an last gen thunderbird and a guy in hawaii that drifts an rs camaro.

Teddy
05-21-2011, 01:26 AM
America. Fuck yes.

Walperstyle
05-21-2011, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't get into drifting unless you can afford 3x the value of your car. Things will get destroyed, and if its your daily driver, you can't afford to have a car broken for long.

reubtube
05-21-2011, 06:14 AM
wow, this thread got quite the revival.

I wasn't trying to be a fanboy and say "GET AN S13 OR DIE!!!!11!!". I was just trying to point out that since this guy sounds like he doesn't have much experience/knowledge in the subject:

So he shouldn't be trying to pioneer anything and should stick with something that is a proven formula. He is already asking where to buy coilovers and how to get his diff "DRIFT SPEC YO". Sorry to sound like a debbie downer but listen to my advice. Keep this car as a beater, you will wish you had when you wrap your cougar around a tree and then have no form of transport.

Further research edit: seems this is the 230hp/330tq motor that came in the super coupes. So not to shabby for a start, you may be able to save this thing. Sinking some cash into the supercharged motor may net you close to 300hp, and plenty of torque. Find a way to shed about 500lbs and you'll have a decent power to weight ratio. Then find a 5 speed gearbox and drop it in. Most likely if ford marketed this as a "performance" model there has to be some sort of LSD in there. Do a burnout and see if both wheels spin, if they do you have at least something to get started. From there have some fun in the rain, practice practice practice. Slowly upgrade the suspension and work on things the car needs (stiffer suspension, bushings, etc.). That's pretty much all I can say, just have fun with it and don't kill yourself.

And I definately am not a domestic hater, my brother owns a fox-body mustang and that thing is ferocious, annihilates tires all the way to 3rd and he can hold a mean slide in it. But he has also owned the car since he was in high school (26 now) and has put alot of money and time into it.

Internet lesson: A nissan site is a shitty place to learn about a ford. There are plenty of ford forums out there that can probably help you out way better than zilvia can.

Thank you for the info. This isnt My dd btw. Just to re iterate i am not trying to pioneer anything
or say im different its just what i have to work with

tryangle
05-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Theres was a guy out of NC that had this exact car at the VIR drift events iirc and it did awesome. It drifts really well, slow transitions like anything bigger. A welder which in most cases should be your first major purchace for any car, will help ease your modifications for suspension mods.

Tantwoforty
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
maybe if you gutted the christ out of it, and fabbed some cool ass custom shit it could work.
but then its not cheap.
if its 5 speed and has a diff, you can drift it..
hell. get good at drifting that land yeaght and you will be great once you sell it and buy a 240 or something light

Kleistc
05-22-2011, 01:36 AM
have fun with attempting to drift this car. I cant think of a cougar i liked..... oh wait i can. My grandpa used to have a special edition XR7. They were very limited like only a couple hundered made but he had one with a DOHC 5.4. That car was fun and would get sideways easy. Problem is it just spins out. I would do what everyone else said and buy a cheap 240. u can get one for around 1k easy

fyneyoungstunna
05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
if people can drift big ass impalas, buick regals, monte carlos and shit like that, then the cougar should do just fine.

since no one has said it, ill say it.

SEAT TIME!!! go auto-x it and learn your car and how it handles, then go practice what you learned. Plenty of places to drift if you look. Sway bars from the mustang..or maybe it was the crown vic fit your car. five speed from a mustang will give you a little bit better gearing. just GO DRIVE, and fuck everyone telling you to get a 240 instead....small minded people.

miravete
05-22-2011, 10:27 PM
of course you can drift with a cougar, its all on how well you can dominate it :fawk:

http://www.cinecultist.com/archives/cougar.jpg

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
^ WIn

lalall msglngth

BustedS13
05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
im ganna get a manual transmission not sure about the diff but those are things that i can fix my self i just want to know would it be worth doing

so basically what i'm reading here is this will never happen.

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
well I guess OP if you havent picked up on it yet, you should close this thead and ask elsewhere...unless you have tough skin and can deal with the harsh comments....

fightinchunk
05-24-2011, 01:46 PM
go for it. make sure you get some action shots

irax
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Complete Ford 5.0L V8 EFI Swap With AOD Tranny (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2400926469.html)

1k obo for 5.0 swap, its even automatic so you don't need to do the manual conversion

theboy
05-24-2011, 07:16 PM
this is a funny/ironic post. It is possible to make cheap easy drift car out of that pig. I say cheap because technically its a mustang with IRS and 500 pounds. And if youve never heard it, the mustang is the "poor mans racecar." SO shit for them is cheap (plus no drift tax). You can buy a v6 krustang's 5 speed and all the other bs to make your cougar a 5 speed. After market for teh v6 is huge as well. Your motor being super charged from the factory means youve already got an LSD in the rear end that will hold 600hp+. If you do a little research on mustang forums, you will have everything you need to stiffen, lighten, slam, and 5 speed swap the cougar for less than the price of a clean running s13. Plus nobody will think a cougar will drift with DK

I can prove this since my final project in high school for auto tech was to 5-speed swap the shop cougar.

Gizmo_S13
05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
You can drift it man and I would actually like to see something different for a change. S13s are cool but don't be like everybody else. I think that Xenon kit makes it look aggressive. My old 71 LeMans GTO was fucking beast! I had a 10 Posi diff, adjustable shocks, 450 turbo tranny, edelbrock carbs, and that thing would get sideways like crazy.

I say do it.

kuelee
05-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Lots of anger from this person...Anger management would help, I wonder why your on this forum..? This is a 240 forum..

babyjesus
05-25-2011, 12:14 AM
do it! personally I think they look super sick! i've always liked the way cougars and thunderbirds of that chassis looked

simmode1
05-25-2011, 11:03 AM
You can drift it man and I would actually like to see something different for a change. S13s are cool but don't be like everybody else.
For real. I wanna see someone drifting more Z31's, Conquest/Starions and Porsche 944's. Go for it, OP...

Blurryeyes
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Where are the near 100 sexy older women drifting?

fyneyoungstunna
05-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Came across this in my browsings today
93 to 97 Thunderbird zenon bodykit ground effects (http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2356284190.html)
local to me and cheap....dont know if itll mock up to your mate but its worth a go.

**Blurryeyes what is your avatar from?

Blurryeyes
05-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Came across this in my browsings today
93 to 97 Thunderbird zenon bodykit ground effects (http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2356284190.html)
local to me and cheap....dont know if itll mock up to your mate but its worth a go.

**Blurryeyes what is your avatar from?

Beck: Mongolian chop squad

irax
05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Lots of anger from this person...Anger management would help, I wonder why your on this forum..? This is a 240 forum..

maybe its because I have a 240 ?

Yeah I was a little mad, this community is becoming stagnant. All this kid wants is some advice on how to make is car more driftable and this is what he got in return... yes I know zilvia is "NOT A DRIFT COMMUNITY".

no. just buy a cheap s13.

save your pennies and buy a more usable platform. Yea, you can use that different word here to try to be cool, but it'll just be a waste of time

The car just looks (and probably is) cumbersome, It looks slow and uninspiring to drive. In comparison to to an s13 which is about 900 pounds lighter, its nowhere gonna be as good at drifting

get good at drifting that land yeaght and you will be great once you sell it and buy a 240 or something light

I would do what everyone else said and buy a cheap 240

so basically what i'm reading here is this will never happen.

people drift SC's Supras, Skylines, Camaros, Subarus, Chasers.. fuck it I've seen some one drift a fucking semi truck.

Whats practical ? A hype beast 240sx that you will buy for "1k"
or doing what he would of eventually done to a 240 but to a car he already owns, where parts are cheaper and more plentiful. If he crashes and totals it out, he can get a fucking cherry body super easy.

GeneralTso
05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
if this thing can drift, i don't see why a cougar couldn't. pretty similar shitboxes. not being offensive either, just saying. but yeah, just go try and play with it. definitely needs some sort of differential, a locker or weld or something. and i know these things have shit tons of body roll.

here's your motivation of what i was talking about.

i can't figure out how to embed this shit.

http://youtu.be/sm3yVE2eqUY

irax
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
sm3yVE2eqUY
fix youtube link

ITS LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

GeneralTso
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
lol, thanks. i sat there editing my posts five times trying to get it to embed.

Otto347
05-25-2011, 10:54 PM
^^looks like that thing drifts just fucking fine.

RiversideS13
05-25-2011, 10:59 PM
If you got some money and skills in building and driving, maybe this will be epic.
But drift is expensive and accidents is even more expensive. if this is your first car i would say don't do it because if shit happens, you will be a joke.

thebutcher37
05-28-2011, 12:07 AM
fix youtube link

ITS LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Dang, pretty awesome.

SilviaStar
05-28-2011, 12:49 AM

You are a tool. And possibly a redneck.

irax
05-28-2011, 01:19 AM
You are a tool. And possibly a redneck.
So me calling out the bullshit makes me a tool huh? Or is it that because I'm over the hypebeast that I can see through the crap? Either way

http://files.sharenator.com/bro_The_scary_story-s496x600-155955-580.jpg

BTW You think I might be a redneck? Look at the top 10 drivers from Formula D 2010, about half of them drive American muscle, and the ones who don't; have an American v8 swap. Fucking rednecks will put a v8 into anything.

SilviaStar
05-28-2011, 02:01 AM
So me calling out the bullshit makes me a tool huh? Or is it that because I'm over the hypebeast that I can see through the crap? Either way

http://files.sharenator.com/bro_The_scary_story-s496x600-155955-580.jpg

BTW You think I might be a redneck? Look at the top 10 drivers from Formula D 2010, about half of them drive American muscle, and the ones who don't; have an American v8 swap. Fucking rednecks will put a v8 into anything.

I called you a tool because your a 27 year old acting like a child. And no shit v8s are being used more in drift. Its called instant torque. The sport is evolving, and witb evolution comes learning, something i assume you struggle with. And they arent all american v8 swaps. Vk56de ring a bell?

kingkilburn
05-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Oh shit dude. You totally took the wind out of his sails with that VK remark.

irax
05-28-2011, 09:59 AM
I called you a tool because your a 27 year old acting like a child. And no shit v8s are being used more in drift. Its called instant torque. The sport is evolving, and witb evolution comes learning, something i assume you struggle with. And they arent all american v8 swaps. Vk56de ring a bell?

2010 formula D standings
1st place Vaughn Gittin Jr,, 2010 Mustang
2nd Place Tanner Foust, RWD TC with Nascar Truck Series Toyota V8
3rd Place Ryan Tuerck, 2010 Camaro
4th Place Daijiro Yoshihara ,93 s13 with 6.7L LSx engine swap
5th Place Darren McNamara, Saturn Sky with 6.7L LSx engine swap
6th Place Chris Forsberg, 370z with VK engine swap
7th Place Rhys Millen, 2011 Genesis coupe
8th Place Tyler McQuarrie, 350z with 6.7L LSx engine swap
9th Place Michihiro Takatori, S15 with Titan V8 swap
10th Place Samuel Hübinette, 2010 Challenger

7 out of 10 cars were American, or with an American V8. I would argue the the Titan V8 is practically American since its manufactured and assembled in Tennessee, but you know what I'll give you that I was wrong about 2 cars. Leaving Rhys Millen with the only show room floor korean v6 car. THE ONLY CAR IN THE TOP 10 THAT DOES NOT HAVE A V8 in 2010.

And are you really going to say that I'm not okay with how this sport is evolving when I said 'this community is becoming stagnant'. As in I'm complaining that this community is NOT evolving. When I'm trying to support this kid in drifting a Cougar, when how many people said get an s13?

http://i.qkme.me/eb6.jpg

Steinkrunk
05-28-2011, 10:08 AM
any updates other than people bitching about stupid shit? And Irax, the only reason I said it was a waste of time is because I thought it was his only mode of transport. Drifting your daily is a bad idea.

But since it's not his daily WHERE R THE UPDATE!

irax
05-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Seriously!

In the mean time, more thunderbird drifting!
Iu-GkkdOSQg
gv0uJyAihos

kuelee
05-29-2011, 12:08 AM
^^^I just wanna put my thought out there, This is exactly why america can not, and will not ever be at the lvl the japanese are.. cmon v8? The OG drifters, and mostly all the japs drive/drift with the original motors. Swapping in a v8 is only in america that ive seen.. And america loves that shit, I give no props for that crap, just my thought.

irax
05-29-2011, 03:41 AM
^^^I just wanna put my thought out there, This is exactly why america can not, and will not ever be at the lvl the japanese are.. cmon v8? The OG drifters, and mostly all the japs drive/drift with the original motors. Swapping in a v8 is only in america that ive seen.. And america loves that shit, I give no props for that crap, just my thought.

thats cool, but we are in a country where v8's are more plentiful than turbo 4's. But I understand where you are coming from. The thing is now to be competitive you HAVE to have 6 or more cylinders, or an engine that is worth 30k and will need at least 6k of repairs ever 3 races (complete and utter exaggeration, but probably not that far off) . I agree we need to step back to the old 'run what you brung'. I was excited for D1 Street Legal, but of course that never happened in the US. FD is based off the SCCA rule set, but don't have a class system. Which sucks, because I would of loved to see SCCA spec cars drift.

but what ever... I wanna see some comments from OP about his plan for this cougar

CAMFabrication
05-29-2011, 06:43 AM
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3725/img6692kg.jpg

America.

BustedS13
05-29-2011, 12:16 PM
2010 formula D standings
fuckin' beatdown

as much as i doubt that the kid who started this thread will ever build a five speed drift cougar, i do enjoy a thorough internet beatdown.

irax
05-29-2011, 02:59 PM
seriously I've been looking up thunderbirds and cougars, i might get one of those and drift it. I love the way the black thunderbird looks, and making power with that engine is super easy.

redline racer510
05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Let me summarize what everyone is trying to say and these aren't necessarily my opinions but that of others. Your mediocre questioning of the the alleged cougar vehicle in it's ability to induce a controlled slide (aka drift) falls in the same category of question's a inexperienced 240sx member would ask(i.e.What is better s13 or s14. How low can drop my 240sx.). Can your cougar drift, sure. Are you going to have trouble controlling the drift, maybe depending on your skills. I see 5.0 mustangs drifting, but they don"t do as well as other cars i.e. s-chassis, z33, rx-7, corolla's and newer RWD cars for what ever reason(skills,suspension,etc). If you don't have money to buy an s-chassis and is serious about drifting make do with what you have but for the sake of god do not practice on public roads take it to the track.

wonpoo
05-30-2011, 06:19 AM
IRAX you my new hero! and OP do what you think is best when all the information has been given to you. These fine members and posted their opinions and others have posted vids, specs, other forum info soo take what you can out of this thread and do what you think will make you happy and have fun drifting!

bik
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
I think somebody should open a seccion "will it drift?" ^_^

like the guy blending stuff Will It Blend? | Presented By Blendtec (http://www.willitblend.com/)

sounds like a cool idea huh? anyone with access of a lot diferent cars old and new? ^_^

kingkilburn
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
That would be a boring series for me. You can drift anything driven by rear wheels and steered by the front.

fyneyoungstunna
05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
There's an Internet series called will it drift

demonspeed
05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
everytime i read the title, i picture a hot ass 35+ year old drifting lmao