PDA

View Full Version : A Little Confusion

Kr240sx
05-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Soooo, my speedometer was not working and I swapped in a new cluster whichworks. When I start the car the speedometer immediately sits at about 13km/h so its way off of calibration, which I can deal with considering my old one didnt work at all, as long as I can figure out how much its off exactly. Anyways now the cruise control does not work which leaves me a bit confused. Before the cruise would only work if the speedo read speed, now its reading it and the cruise on button lights up on the bezel but when I push the button on the steering wheel nothing lights up in the cluster nor does it work. I switched the speedo head back into the old cluster and the cruise still does not work. If anyone has any idea of what this could be I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

1990 240sx hatch Ka24e

camaro379ss
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Is there anything that you may have done that you left out?

Kr240sx
05-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I dont think, i still havent put it back together completely just in case you guys gave me some suggestions. Thanks for the input though.

camaro379ss
05-17-2011, 05:10 AM
out of curiousity does your horn still work? Just checking to see if your clock spring is still good.

Kr240sx
05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Yup horn still works, put it all back together still the same :( what can ya do! cant win em all

drift freaq
05-18-2011, 04:54 PM
sounds like there could be a short in one of the switches . Most of the stuff in the gauge cluster area of your dash is interconnected wiring wise. I had a shorted turn signal switch that would take out the lights on the cluster. Affect brake lights and cause other anomalies. I suggest you start testing for shorts.

redline1320
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
sounds like there could be a short in one of the switches . Most of the stuff in the gauge cluster area of your dash is interconnected wiring wise. I had a shorted turn signal switch that would take out the lights on the cluster. Affect brake lights and cause other anomalies. I suggest you start testing for shorts.

I also had the same thing happen about a couple weeks ago during a spurt of cold weather.
Shortened wire caused alot of problems.
Also happened once before when I switched to a injen gauge cluster. Also if you have tinkered w/ the ecu any there is a green rpm wire not sure of exact location but when that shorted out my speedo and a majority of gauges went nuts.