PDA

View Full Version : just installed j30 vlsd in s14, now rear end shakes

desertKAdrifter
04-19-2011, 03:30 AM
we just finished swapping my weak open diff on my s14 for a '95 j30 vlsd. it was pretty easy with no modifications except for swaping covers. now i drove for about 5 miles and when i rolled to a stop, in neutral, the rear started shaking like a mutha and so was my shift knob. it stop shaking when i put it back in first and gave it some gas. the only thing i can think of is the diff bushings that mount near the driveshaft. since i cant use the s14 ones i used the rubber washers that come off the s14 bushings. any ideas will be great before i jack up the car tomorrow again.:l101:

desertKAdrifter
04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
got it fixed. aparently the driveshaft was off balance becuase the pumpkin was sitting too high. i put about 8 or 10 washers to get it to stock height, now it works smooth with no shake at all.:boink:

Walperstyle
04-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Wanted to add: Avoid driving with this problem if you can. An off-balance driveshaft and/or drivetrain can destroy itself and perhaps your engine in minutes pending how bad it is.

Chrisw
04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Crazy. I'm about to do this with a skyline diff. How do I know if the diff is stock hight or not? Should the drive shaft be completely level?

desertKAdrifter
04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Crazy. I'm about to do this with a skyline diff. How do I know if the diff is stock hight or not? Should the drive shaft be completely level?

you can measure the end of the driveshaft to the car before u start. i already had mine swapped so what i did was thread the bolt until only the threads were in and then measure up how many washers i needed. i ended up using about ten on each side and made sure it was tight. i also used a locking washer on the bolt just to be safe.

project_silvia
12-21-2011, 07:25 PM
can you post pics of what you did please i just put a j30 in my s14 aswell and im having the same problem