PDA

View Full Version : SR20det Not Starting!

Djinfinit
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Hello guys,

I have been having problems with my sr swap, and that is it wont start. Earlier the starter wasn't turning over so I was confused cuz it was working fine before. So i gave my dash a swift kick in the driver side and the starter started turning over, i assume that was caused by the ignition/starter relay being stuck. Either way this was no break the car still didn't start.

BATTERY IS WEAK!

What the car has:
- 1989 240sx
- greddy intake plenum
- megan tubular
- gt28rs turbo
- 3 inch from turbo back
- greddy big fmic piping (piping hacked together)
- greddy type s blow off valve
-
I began my diagnosis and began hunting down the problem and this is what i have done/checked off:
- 12volts on all plugs
- have spark
- have fuel pressure in spec
- hear injectors clicking, but injectors not spraying

The stuff what is not connected ect:

- rad is not on
- vacuum lines not fully connected
- maf not connected
- aicv and knock sensor not connected
- wastegate/bov disconected

Questions i have:
- what exactly is the orange wire and what does it do and tell the car to do and what voltage is sent to the ecu from this wire?
- ignition relays what are they for what do they control
- can injectors fire with a weak battery?
- can injectors click but not shoot fuel?
- how come even with a fully charged integra battery the car still doesn't turn over at full speed? its very sluggish?
- how come when i crank the car the ecu light doesnt come completely off it starts to flicker?

Im begging for help i was in an accident and i need a car the car i was in was a write off and i want to take the money and fix this one.

4-20sx
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I would connect everything first before trying to start it dude.
Check your wiring if done correctly. Fuel lines crossed? Get a good working battery.

I really suggest get everything connnected first n then truoblr shoot from there.

ellococt
03-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Simply having the Maf disconnected will cause starting problems like the user above stated hook up all the necessities then try and start it

Djinfinit
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
ye but none of these should cause fuel injection problems?:S

ellococt
03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
- ignition relays what are they for what do they control basically when you turn the key it sends a signal to the relay which is really just a switch for converting low current to high The relay then completes the circuit for the starter and powers it
- can injectors click but not shoot fuel? Yes if it clogged

Djinfinit
03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
one more question when you start the car is there anything that will be clicking?

ellococt
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
If you have a low battery your starter would be clicking/ not turn over but other than that there shouldn't be any clicking while cranking Unless your talking about relays clicking in that case you should hear the starter and ecu relays turn on

Djinfinit
03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
would they be turning off and on? because i hear something clicking liek 1 2 3 4 but i dont no if its injectors or something else clicking?:S

ellococt
03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
No they shouldn't, try disconnecting the injectors and crank it see if that's where the clicking is coming from?

Djinfinit
03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
shoot, i wish i checked back here earlier.. i removed my harness im gonna check continuity. But i seemed to have found some problem ecu connector doesnt sit flush on one side. I had to change the ecu connector before so im gonna try to get it to sit flush again.

ellococt
03-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Oooo yeah done that before make sure she's bolted down all the way

rb25_s13*CHUKI
03-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Connectt evertything that isn't connected, get a good strong battery. Most of the stuff u have off would cause problems starting,

Djinfinit
03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
ye im gonna connect everything.. i just took off the harness im gonna do a continuity test on everything, and then

JDMRIDDAZ
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
if it doesnt crank at all then check the blue relay where the battery used to b
it controls the neutral safety and start signal
just cut it out and reconnect wires or put fuses between the wires
on both unless ur clutch is bypassed the smaller wires is neutral sie which deals w clutch pedal

Djinfinit
03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
found out there was no oil in the head causing a screeching noise. i poured oil and its fine now.. also put a lil in each cylinder. Wondering would this cause a huge load on the starter?

JDMRIDDAZ
03-25-2011, 05:51 PM
yes if its that dry it would slightly hold up rotating mass
but if this happened u need to find out why and fix it
check oil pressure if u dont have a gauge buy one
its important when u have a sr20det......

Djinfinit
03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
the engine has been sitting for almost 2 years so it makes sense the motor needs to start for pressure to reach the head im pretty sure

Djinfinit
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
so major twist in the story.

So i took the harness out extended the injector wires because of the greddy intake plenum gave it a nice clean look. And then decided to remove the cas and spin it with the key on the on position. When i spun it the injectors didnt seem to shoot fuel but spit? :S i think where getting really close. Im gonna try fixing the ecu connector tonight, and get back to you guys. Hopefully this is the problem. Also the noise i was hearing when i was starting the car wasnt the injectors firing so its not some crazy problem.

Mean-while if you guys have any suggestions please let me know everything is helpful.

Djinfinit
04-06-2011, 07:31 AM
So i got my sr20det running and i just felt a ton of air shooting out of the BOV. So i decided to close it with the adjustment screw(greddy type-s) as i tighten its ok but once its almost shut and no air is coming out of the bov the car dies:S? but with the bov open and shooting air out of it at idle it runs fine. And yes if the bov is shooting air at idle and i give it throttle it closes. BTW i cant drive it yet still have driveshaft ect to hookup.