PDA

View Full Version : s13 smells like gas and thick white smoke

dave87rx7
03-12-2011, 07:34 AM
i just inherited my uncles s13 red top sr20. the car sat for maybe a month, but the first time i started the car it poured out thick white smoke that smelled like gas. even the dipstick smells of gas and the car continues to do this. i described this to some one and they told me to take the car to get tuned or that it could be a fuel injector thats stuck open. ( the smoke and gas smells coming from the exhaust) somebody help me........:wtf:

Nicelyphe
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Could be injector, maybe head gasket, possible bad piston rings.

Silvia716
03-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Look at your oil if there is any white residue / anti freeze in there its your head gasket, depending on where you live you might also have the wrong weight oil for the temperature outside.

blksylv
03-12-2011, 08:33 AM
its prolly an injector as i had this same issue and my #1 injector ended up being bad

psychos13
03-12-2011, 07:43 PM
If ur oil smells like gas then it's a bad injector and fuel is slipping down too oil pan and might cause your motor too go in to hydrolock

dave87rx7
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
i was just working on the tie rod today and i checked the coolant to find out that it has fuel in the coolant..................... i got some !!!! going on

Pro ViZIon
03-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Are you sure your not confusing the fuel with oil in the coolant? It sounds like a bad headgasket to me. Go to autozone and buy some alumaseal and throw it in the radiator and see if the smoking stops.

On my rx7 I had a blown coolant seal and there was white smoke like there was no tomorrow. Put some alumaseal in it and 20 min of idiling, what ya know, no more smoke. Shits lke $3. Its worth a try.

dave87rx7
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Are you sure your not confusing the fuel with oil in the coolant? It sounds like a bad headgasket to me. Go to autozone and buy some alumaseal and throw it in the radiator and see if the smoking stops.

On my rx7 I had a blown coolant seal and there was white smoke like there was no tomorrow. Put some alumaseal in it and 20 min of idiling, what ya know, no more smoke. Shits lke $3. Its worth a try.

i cant get the car to idle that long it might run for 15 sec's. im thinking its some thing to do with the fuel injectors...........? or fpr? but i just had another head ported polished with a 3 angle valve job bc springs and retainers that i was going to put in cuz i thought it was a head gasket but im thinking it might be something else..............

KiLLeR2001
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
leaky injector, probably ripped the o-ring

dave87rx7
02-05-2012, 10:14 AM
i pulled all the plugs today to find them socked in gas so with the plugs out and the fuel pump switch off i cracked the motor to pump the gas out. it was coming out pretty good then slowed down a bit but one cylinder was pushing it out pretty good ????:eek3: but i read somewhere that somebody had the same problem so he put new plugs in cuz he felt the plugs were to weak to burn the gas off. so i tried it and really no luck. so next i unplugged the fuel pump and cranked the motor to get the pressure out of the fuel lines. i think ill pull the fuel rail next because the rings look bad and i still cant get the car to start running longer then 10 secs................ :werd:

rcdad123
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
so all of the plugs were soaked with fuel? and all of the cylinders spit out the same amount of fuel when you cranked it with the plugs out and fuel pump disabled? sounds like all of the injectors are dumping a lot of fuel. as stated above, check for leaking o rings, MAF, coolant temp sensor, vacuum leaks, fpr. also change the oil before you start the engine again. all that fuel in the oil will ruin the bearings, crank, and cam journals. good luck.

dave87rx7
02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
so all of the plugs were soaked with fuel? and all of the cylinders spit out the same amount of fuel when you cranked it with the plugs out and fuel pump disabled? sounds like all of the injectors are dumping a lot of fuel. as stated above, check for leaking o rings, MAF, coolant temp sensor, vacuum leaks, fpr. also change the oil before you start the engine again. all that fuel in the oil will ruin the bearings, crank, and cam journals. good luck.

The 3rd cylinder from the front of the motor was the one that kept spitting . Thanks for the heads up on the oil change I need to get on that asap. It scares me knowing that now because that gas has been sitting in the head since :facepalm: spring. What would be a sign of bad bearings?:facepalm:

rcdad123
02-05-2012, 11:35 PM
bad engine bearings will make the engine knock or rattle. if you did not drive the car, i doubt you damaged anything. check number three`s injector o ring. i would replace all of them though. make sure you lubricate the new ones before you slip the injectors back in the fuel rail.