PDA

View Full Version : kade starts up, then dies

Gription
09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I've seen a ton of threads similar to this with people having the same problem but none of them seem to get any answers, so I'm hoping I'll find something here.

I have a 93' hatch that I just swapped a 92' kade into. The motor was running seriously perfect before it was pulled from the other car, not one single problem.

Now that it's in my car, it starts and idles fine for about ten seconds, and then it just dies. When I give it gas it just stumbles and chokes on itself. I'm getting fuel, getting spark, and everything is plugged in.
The motor and ecu are from a 92' and I got the engine harness from a 94' vert. I'm going to try using the ecu from the vert but I have a feeling that won't really help. It seems like there is a sensor not getting a proper reading and is making the car shut off. Has new ngk bkr5e plugs.
I checked the dizzy and the rotor is right but I'm thinking it could be the timing.
Ideas??

Mishkin_707
09-21-2010, 07:15 PM
make sure your temp sensor is plugged in, have you tried checking the ecu to see if it's throwing any codes? make sure all your vacuum lines are all good too, also, check your fuel filter and pressure regulator

EDIT: the whole reason i posted...lol

check your MAF, i dunno how it is on DE motors but on my SOHC my MAF is grounded to the chassis i forgot to connect it back and i had the same problem, whatever intake you have make sure and the hoses that connect to the intake are in good condition with no cracks....lmk

Gription
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
I've checked all of those things besides the maf being grounded to the chassis, but I've never heard of that before so maybe I'll try it out.

I'm not seeing any abnormal lights coming from the ecu so I'm guessing there are no codes.

Gription
09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
I got the hatch running and idling good and steady on its own, but when I give it gas it hesitates at first and then shoots all these crazy flames out of the header (running open header, no downpipe/cats). I checked the distributor and it was spot on, so I figured it must be the cam timing. So I reset the timing just to make sure it's right. The ka fsm's alignment pictures suck ass so mine look a little advanced from the fsm, but all of the timing marks are lined up properly. Here is what the cams look like when piston #1 is at tdc. Does this look right??
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/strikebackbmx/hatch%20build/IMG_7282.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/strikebackbmx/hatch%20build/IMG_7283.jpg

Also the chain tensioner isn't tight yet but I don't think that matters for the reference pics does it?

The only other thing that I found wrong is the ecu threw a code for a bad o2 sensor, but I'm thinking that's probably from the flames effing it up, and I don't think that would cause it to run like this.

Any ideas??

itwillboost
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Try setting the dowels again that looks wrong to me by approx one tooth. There is a couple different sensor's btw I think one is the oil coolant but I forget most of the ka's I touch are in altimas lol. But yea double check your timing and clean the maf. How is the car loping ? If you can describe it that would help alot.

Your ivac is good also right ?

repda916
09-28-2010, 12:40 AM
injectors, pulse?

JuMPiiN
10-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Mine is doing the samething, it was in storage for a year or so, ran fine before it went into storage. Now I start it it sputters and dies in about 5-10seconds. I give it barely any gas it goes and revs fine, but if i really try to drive it normally, it will sputter out and die, I changed the plugs, I changed the wires, I cleaned the MAF, I put fuel injector cleaner in, drained old gas put in new. Still does the same thing.

And I cant check the ECU for codes because the damn ECU green light is missing. Idk why but its gone.

BTW, its a 93 Hatch Auto with a KA.

William_s13
10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Mine did this and I tried everything but it ended up being my ecu. It wouldn't throw any codes so I swapped it with one from an auto and ran perfect