PDA

View Full Version : any Lexus IS300 owners here?

jamg
10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
well, looking to get a new car..and looking at all my options.

Right now I'm comparing it to the STi, and I don't have much info on the IS.

How is aftermarket support on the IS?

Say getting a decent turbo kit, how much would that cost?

It comes with a 2jz right(lol)? How much power is the engine suppose to handle with stock internals?

would you rather get the STi for the IS?

I could probably find an IS at an auction for around $8k, as opposed to getting and STi from there, for over $10k.

Just trying to feel out my options before i make a purchase. Evo's are ruled out because of price and the lack of luxury i'd like to have.

RiversideS13
10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
you cannot compare sti with IS300... it is like comparing orange and apple. it is all depends on what quality are you looking for. since sti has turbo, there are more things you can do. IS300 would ride more luxury of course, but sti would handles better. IS300 you can do 2jzgte swap, but for the amount of money you spend, you could already buy a sti.

anyway, from looking at your questions, i think you will be happier with sti. those questions you can also simply answered your self by using google

S14_Kouki
10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
dont waste your money on a stupid ass STI get a IS300 take out the na 2j or 1j whatever the fuck they come with (ppl have done close to 1000hp stock bottom end) get the IS300 and put a 3s-gte in the bitch.

Kougeki
10-07-2009, 11:55 PM
IS300s are nice.
It's not under my name, but my mom has one.
Another thing you might wanna consider is
what are you gonna use it for. The IS is just a
better looking sedan. Altezza FTW!

jamg
10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
you cannot compare sti with IS300... it is like comparing orange and apple. it is all depends on what quality are you looking for. since sti has turbo, there are more things you can do. IS300 would ride more luxury of course, but sti would handles better. IS300 you can do 2jzgte swap, but for the amount of money you spend, you could already buy a sti.

anyway, from looking at your questions, i think you will be happier with sti. those questions you can also simply answered your self by using google

dont waste your money on a stupid ass STI get a IS300 take out the na 2j or 1j whatever the fuck they come with (ppl have done close to 1000hp stock bottom end) get the IS300 and put a 3s-gte in the bitch.

lol complete opposite replies.

it will be for daily driving/weekend warrior.

JVD
10-08-2009, 01:07 AM
STI is fun to drive.

IS300 is slow.

I'd chose STI. All around better car from the factory.

HyperTek
10-08-2009, 01:14 AM
is300 is sexy, sti is "boy racer"
the other day i posted on facebook if i should get a is300, and girls replied "dam balla!"..
if i had posted sti i probably would have got more guy replies lol

RiversideS13
10-08-2009, 02:12 AM
yeah i got more compliments from girls (including 60 years old women) for my is300 than guys i think. as a daily, it rides smooth and reliable. mine is 02 model with 76k miles, only had to replace an oxygen sensor so far under warranty. other than that, not even a light bulb or rattle. still have original brake pads and clutch.

but if you are looking for a street racing mobile, this is definitely not the right car that you are looking at. i think it was rated 7.4 second for 0-60. a new camry v6 could smoke you without any problem

FaLKoN240
10-08-2009, 04:22 AM
IS300 is a pretty expensive project car if you're planning on swapping the motor.

I wouldn't bother with a 3SGTE, when you can put a 2JZGTE in there easily.

STI is a completely different car from the IS realistically.

It's all about how much work you wanna do, and how much you want to spend.

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
IS300 is a pretty expensive project car if you're planning on swapping the motor.

I wouldn't bother with a 3SGTE, when you can put a 2JZGTE in there easily.

STI is a completely different car from the IS realistically.

It's all about how much work you wanna do, and how much you want to spend.

Im trying to be different. I dont think he would even consider a 3s, yes the 2j but damn every person in the world have 2j nuts in the mouth. Lets be cool and do something different to our cars plus im sure he would go the really easy way and just turbo the NA engine.

Flicktitty
10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
For me it would be the IS300 HANDS DOWN!

Better ride. (alot less rigid then the STI)
Looks better (that's an opinion)
just as much aftermarket.

if you do some searching on Clublexus.com or My.is you will find ALOT of info on these cars.

Alot of people go with a basic NA-T kit with a T61 turbo (they cost anywhere from $1700 through XSpower up to about $4500 depending on what kind you want) and then they do a Toyota supra TT Headgasket and they are fine for over about 450-500WHP. the automatic tran's will begin to fail over 500 same with the stock W58 tran's that is in the car. so you could upgrade to a built toyo auto/GM auto or a V160 6spd or a R154 (out of the MKIII Turbos) those are good for about 800WHP with proper work.

I know alot of IS300 guy's that go NA-T look around on Supraforums and what not an pick up stock TT supra rods/pistons to put into there car and with that bottom end and a TT headgasket you could make 800whp through the bottom end, but you will need headwork at that point.

IF you need any more info i'll chime in or feel free to PM me.

i think a GTE swap (realistically would cost about 5-6K) might be the cheaper and better alternative in the long run. But it would be a bigger it off the get go.

Just think, STI you will get alot more guy's wanting your nuts, but Girls are ALL about LEXUS's i drive my girls 96 SC300 every so often and seems EVERYONE looks at ya in it. that is just another reason why i would choose Lexus, your not such a punk kid boy racer.

FaLKoN240
10-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Im trying to be different. I dont think he would even consider a 3s, yes the 2j but damn every person in the world have 2j nuts in the mouth. Lets be cool and do something different to our cars plus im sure he would go the really easy way and just turbo the NA engine.

I don't even want to comment on the "being different" bandwagon.

Flicktitty
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
agreed, does ANYONE really realize how hard it is to be "Differant" with a car anymore?

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 11:15 AM

How hard is it to be different shit at least hes not getting a 240.

agreed, does ANYONE really realize how hard it is to be "Differant" with a car anymore?

Its simple if you have a 240 DONT buy and megan manifold with a 2871 or a full race kit with a 30r seeing how thats what 80% of 240's have. Its way more easy to be different with a IS300 cause not alot of ppl mod them in the states. Lets see if you mod the IS300 with a 3s instead of a fucking 2j then shit your more different then any IS300 person I know. Theres prob not even one 3s IS300 owner in america.

Ben G
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
STI is fun to drive.

IS300 is slow.

I'd chose STI. All around better car from the factory.

Have you been in an IS300? You barley press that throttle and you take the fuck off.

Flicktitty
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Have you been in an IS300? You barley press that throttle and you take the fuck off.
"take the fuck off" in compairison to a KA 240?

take a stock IS300 and a STOCK STI the sti will straight RUN AWAY from a IS.

Ben G
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
your comparing it to awd of course its going to beat it and it has a nice little turbo, but your saying they are slow when in fact they are not maybe not as quick as the sti but defiantly not slow.

Flicktitty
10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
your comparing it to awd of course its going to beat it and it has a nice little turbo, but your saying they are slow when in fact they are not maybe not as quick as the sti but defiantly not slow.
a IS300 is peppy at best. it will get out of it's own way...but it's no race car.

Ben G
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
well of course non of these cars are, i would honestly buy a wrx before an sti though better deal and you can get more power into them a lot easier.

ronmcdon
10-08-2009, 12:42 PM
IS300 really isn't that bad even in stock form.
Only thing I'd do is get some nicer tires, pads.
'MAYBE' a slightly stiffer suspension to compensate for the typical Toyota vague/light steering.
I'd just spend the time & $$ learning to drive it well.

It's the probably the one of the few Toyota's that I actually like.

JVD
10-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Just re-read OP.

If you're looking for luxury... STI is not it.

IS300 might make more sense for you.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
is300 is sexy, sti is "boy racer"
the other day i posted on facebook if i should get a is300, and girls replied "dam balla!"..

thats because you're asian. having a lexus is like a pinnacle lifetime achievement, next to being super wealthy (fraud) like Tom Vu.

but with that said, the IS300 is just that.. a fucking toyota. I own an SC300.. its all bullshit. Its a good car but expensive to modify. Also, the Lexus forums are practically useless.. its a night and day comparison to zilvia. I actually feel embarrassed reading threads on club lexus, as if I am losing brain cells (and i'm already pretty dumb).

I think the STI has more potential for just everything: tunability, fun, and more modern. The IS300 *was* a cool car when it was first released, that lasted for like 2 years. Then better cars came out.

I've considered an IS but the costs are not in sync with the performance. You're buying an overweight paperweight that is reliable and comfortable. If thats what you want, go for it. Thats why I purchased my `95 SC300 (but at half the price). Not to mention, my car is OBD1 whereas the IS is nothing but headache (if you're in Cali) as its OBD2.

STI or EVO. If you're looking for fun, those are the cars to buy.

!Zar!
10-08-2009, 02:11 PM
My.is is a shitty forum. Every day I spent on there made me want to stab myself in the face.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
its alllllllllll about DESIGNO bumper and auto-coture body kits.... fucking kill me

FaLKoN240
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Having an IS300 with a 3SGTE would be no different than having an RS200 in Japan.

You're gonna swap a smaller motor in? Meh, fuck that.

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Having an IS300 with a 3SGTE would be no different than having an RS200 in Japan.

You're gonna swap a smaller motor in? Meh, fuck that.

Well seeing how IS300 come stock with NA 3s's (in japan) then yes in japan it would be no different then a rs200 ( that a na IS in japan right). Or you can buy the whole 1uz swap for $400 and put that bitch in. and thats going bigger :bigok:

FaLKoN240
10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Well seeing how IS300 come stock with NA 3s's (in japan) then yes in japan it would be no different then a rs200 ( that a na IS in japan right). Or you can buy the whole 1uz swap for $400 and put that bitch in. and thats going bigger :bigok:

1uz is cool, but then you're stepping into might as well do LS1 territory.

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
1uz is cool, but then you're stepping into might as well do LS1 territory.

NO FUCK LS1 fuck that shit thats the easy way out, fuck push rods and single cam im into the 4 cam non push rod engines:)

jamg
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
great replies

well swapping the motor out is out of the question. all that work and extra $ on a car i will be financing isn't worth it.

how much power can the IS handle up to? assuming it's boosted.

HyperTek
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
you on the wrong forum homie
my.IS - Lexus IS Forum (http://my.is/)

drift freaq
10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Seriously guys a Beems engine is not to be sneezed at. They are fucking sick ass NA engines. They have more HP than the 2J that comes in the stateside IS and they are a lot lighter. An IS300 with the Beems engine that came in the car in Japan would be sick and not legal. I.E. back in the I have a SR in my 240 catagory.

I thought seriously about an IS300 still do sometimes. Mike did not do a bad job of summing it up though. Its a nice ride thats too expensive for what it is. It also gets shit for gas mileage.
To me the whole point of a 4 door daily is getting something that is fun to drive but is still a presentable civilized automobile that can turn in decent to great gas mileage. Hence it being a daily driver.
Now while the IS definitely nails the first two points it fails on the third. Plus being a Lexus its costly and overpriced. I.E. overrated.

Seriously what are you guys trying to achieve. You say you want a daily but then you want to start putting turbo's on and doing engine swaps. At that point you have killed the whole idea of the daily.
Dailies are not supposed to be fucked with. A little suspension to drop it a little and some wheels and call it a fucking day. Simple reliable, good gas mileage, presentable cars nothing more.

Leave the turbo's and engine swaps to your project cars.

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
great replies

well swapping the motor out is out of the question. all that work and extra $ on a car i will be financing isn't worth it.

how much power can the IS handle up to? assuming it's boosted.

A IS 2jge can handle around 700 hp

you on the wrong forum homie
my.IS - Lexus IS Forum (http://my.is/)

Im on the right forum Im just trying to give ideas.

jamg
10-08-2009, 09:36 PM
that's about what i want.

having the luxuries and be able to sit 5 in the car
having nice interior
sit comfortable
be boost, because boosting is fun
and have average MPG, because of boost

a nice drop, some wheels, and an already boosted car is good enough for me.
maybe do some autocross with it, but that's about it.

drift freaq
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
that's about what i want.

having the luxuries and be able to sit 5 in the car
having nice interior
sit comfortable
be boost, because boosting is fun
and have average MPG, because of boost

a nice drop, some wheels, and an already boosted car is good enough for me.
maybe do some autocross with it, but that's about it.

well I don't think the IS will fit your bill because it gets shit gas mileage. Tops is like 23-24 FWY. Oh and its not boosted.

Honestly, your asking for a lot of things, that are most likely not going to come in the same package.
I would hazard to say your better off with STI based on what you wrote above.

jamg
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
eh, maybe you are right..

what about the tranny? when will it go poop on you?
and how much would going boost on the IS break your wallet?

S14_Kouki
10-08-2009, 09:46 PM
well I don't think the IS will fit your bill because it gets shit gas mileage. Tops is like 23-24 FWY. Oh and its not boosted.

Honestly, your asking for a lot of things, that are most likely not going to come in the same package.
I would hazard to say your better off with STI based on what you wrote above.

STI's have the worst interior I have ever sat in. My 240 has better interior then a sti

tsx1racer04
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
IS300 is the way to go. Great daily driver however as mentioned above by Drift Freaq, it gets real shitty gas mileage (good luck pulling maybe 21mpg?).

To answer your question, the 2jzge makes 210-215hp and 215lbs torque. But, SAE corrected is around 204hp (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

From most forums, the stock internals can handle some good boosting before it blows, say around 450whp? I hear the stock autobox is actually stronger than the 5spd manual. Stronger in terms of handling power.

My friend has a 1jzgte GS300, it's pretty decent for a daily driver. Twin turbo's are real fun. Anyways, the point is, if you want to drive fast get the STI. If you want an actual daily driver, get the IS300.

Or get the one thats a better deal!!! :)

VROOOM
10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

ronmcdon
10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Youre probably going to have to re-evaluate your preferences and/or budget.
You cant honestly expect to pay $10k for luxury, performance, & mpg.

ixfxi
10-08-2009, 11:35 PM
The 2JZGE is a very inefficient motor, and the vehicle's weight doesnt help it in any way.

My SC which is low mileage and well maintained gets SHIT gas mileage, like absolutely no more than 21-22. The motor is a strong motor, very reliable.. but just inefficient in every way. Its kinda a pain to work on considering the intake manifold design, which is completely stupid. I cant understand how the engineers thought it was a *good* idea to fucking slap it on top and across the engine block. Changing spark plugs ends up being a fuckin multi-hour job.

I've thought time and time again about what would be a good 4 door vehicle, RWD, that is pleasant to drive. The best solution is the G35 or G37 sedan, and preferably the most recent version which has bi-xenon projectors and nicer styling. I really do like that car, 3.7L with lots of power and class.

Its expensive (for now) but in the near future, it would be a good car to own. OBD2 but it makes enough power that its worth keeping and not modding. Only basic things like exhaust and intake, wheels, suspension, etc...

I'm keeping the SC and considering someday doing an 2JZ-GTE with it, as its a nice grand tourer. Its comfortable and spacious, fantastic AC, good seats, nice styling. Like Dave, we've both considered the IS but it just doesnt fit the bill. Funny thing about upgrading to turbo/6-speed status, is that its a near 10k investment. Thats a LOT of money, but its a LOT of car. In some ways, it would be more practical to purchase the Supra, unless you really are stuck on the IS, GS, or in my case, the SC.

edit: I dont think I'de ever want to own a Supra Turbo though. Too much car and well, parking it in the garage would be an insult to my S13. My S13 will always reign supreme. Fuck a Supra, rather put that money towards a real car (Ariel Atom).

Mike

RiversideS13
10-09-2009, 12:35 AM

hmm, maybe i had not been to the forum for a while, but i didn't know 3sgte swap can be done. i knew beam 3sge swap been done and i seen the car in person (the owner claim the only advantage is more balance on the track). but i am not aware anyone done 3sgte... what transmission can it mate with?

if i remember correctly, IS300 has 3 catalytic converters and 4 oxygen sensors ....i think that is what killed the power

S14_Kouki
10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
hmm, maybe i had not been to the forum for a while, but i didn't know 3sgte swap can be done. i knew beam 3sge swap been done and i seen the car in person (the owner claim the only advantage is more balance on the track). but i am not aware anyone done 3sgte... what transmission can it mate with?

if i remember correctly, IS300 has 3 catalytic converters and 4 oxygen sensors ....i think that is what killed the power

Man you can put any engine in any car. Iv actually seen a 3s in a 240. Putting one in a IS would prob be pretty easy seeing how they come with them in japan so, costume mounts alittle wiring and im sure you can use the tranny it comes with. Plus the 3s stock bottom end can handle like 700hp.

JVD
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Man you can put any engine in any car. Iv actually seen a 3s in a 240. Putting one in a IS would prob be pretty easy seeing how they come with them in japan so, costume mounts alittle wiring and im sure you can use the tranny it comes with. Plus the 3s stock bottom end can handle like 700hp.
He's looking for a fun DD.

Not a fabrication intense project car.

S14_Kouki
10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
He's looking for a fun DD.

Not a fabrication intense project car.

A fun DD = s2000