PDA

View Full Version : Powerlab twin scroll manifold

Geno750
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Finally got mine.
http://airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/unobtanium.jpg

Everything looks great so far. I remember a lot of people wondering about A/C fitment, and I'll have that answer shortly. Here is a picture of the setup that is being replaced. I already started taking it apart, so bare with the messy engine bay.
http://airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/oldsetup.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

florante rea
09-11-2009, 09:23 PM
wow, just plain sick. how much 4 the setup if you don't mind me asking?

GSXRJJordan
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks sexy as hell. New tiny Tial wastegates for easy fitment, love it! Also curious how much you spent, and is that the 3071/76 or 3582?

Geno750
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Its the 3076r. I don't even what to think about how much this ended up costing me. It was north of $2000 though.

All I have to say is yay for buying a lot of Bank of America shares when it was down below $5 a share several months ago.

KrazyS13
09-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow, thats beautiful!!

brndck
09-12-2009, 01:50 AM
fuck man, i've always LOVED an external gate blowing out thru a screamer pipe, i can only imagine how much better TWO of them will sound!

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2009, 03:16 AM
It was north of $2000 though...

If you're anywhere near $2000 for the turbo, wastegates, and mani, you've gotten a screaming deal.

If you're over $2k for just the manifold, I'd want something that says "FULL RACE" on the side lol.

fuck man, i've always LOVED an external gate blowing out thru a screamer pipe, i can only imagine how much better TWO of them will sound!

Sounds just like one big one. =P

Om1kron
09-12-2009, 03:25 AM
If you're anywhere near $2000 for the turbo, wastegates, and mani, you've gotten a screaming deal.

If you're over $2k for just the manifold, I'd want something that says "FULL RACE" on the side lol.

Why when this one fits better???

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Why when this one fits better???

Lifetime warranty mostly, reputation, but also bling/fanboy status. I'm guessing the Powerlab mani is much cheaper though.

I'm only asking because I'd really love a twin-scroll mani for the RB25 that's as nice as the Full Race for a more 'reasonable' cost.

Geno750
09-12-2009, 06:31 AM
PowerLab's warranty is the same as Full-Race's warranty on the manifold. The manifold, wastegates, and the elbow/dump tubes was what I was talking about when people asked about price.

Also, the car this is all going into is a 95 180sx, so fanboy status is covered.

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2009, 05:07 PM
PowerLab's warranty is the same as Full-Race's warranty on the manifold. The manifold, wastegates, and the elbow/dump tubes was what I was talking about when people asked about price.

Also, the car this is all going into is a 95 180sx, so fanboy status is covered.

Haha, excellent! That's definitely a better deal than Full Race, I can't wait to see fitment in the car!

Om1kron
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Haha, excellent! That's definitely a better deal than Full Race, I can't wait to see fitment in the car!

They're actually about the same price...

GSXRJJordan
09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
They're actually about the same price...

Those wastegates are ~$250/ea, so $2k including wastegates and dump tubes is cheaper than Full Race, right?

Anyway, looks dope, might have to talk to them about a twin scroll RB mani.

S14_Kouki
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I know whats cheaper then full race :)

Geno750
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Those wastegates are ~$250/ea, so $2k including wastegates and dump tubes is cheaper than Full Race, right?

Anyway, looks dope, might have to talk to them about a twin scroll RB mani.

For the most part, yes.

Geno750
10-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I've been super busy lately, but I finally had some free time to get started on the car.

The manifold DOES clear A/C just fine, but the dipstick will need to be bent.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2782/4022752433_1649cd7b5a_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2599/4022752379_ea3a7b0e59_o.jpg

The dump tubes also clear the side of the chassis with enough space to route the lines, you will just have to have the lines right up against the body of the car. Every inch of space is needed to put distance between the A/C lines and the dump tubes, and the manifold.

Om1kron
10-18-2009, 03:10 PM
going to need mad thermal wrap on them ac lines lol.

Geno750
10-18-2009, 07:25 PM
going to need mad thermal wrap on them ac lines lol.

Definitely, I'll be wrapping the manifold and the lines in the area. Luckily I ordered WAAAY to much of that stuff when setting up a 13B to be used in an airplane, so I've got a lot left.

Geno750
12-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I know its been a while, but I've finally been able to get everything installed, wrapped, and checked out. The biggest delay was waiting for a S14 SR20DET water neck to get here.

http://airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/wrappeddp.jpg

I also ran into a delay when I realized that with the placement of one of the wastegate flanges on the manifold, a vertical oil retun setup would be impossible. A 45 degree fitting must be used to route the oil return line around the wastegates and manifold.

http://airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/oilreturn.jpg

I made all the turbo lines myself, and recommend that to anyone interested in doing a top mount turbo. It is incredibly easy to do on your own, and you'll save quite a bit of money doing it this way. Here is a breakdown of everything I've used. Other part numbers are available for different brands, but this should make searching for what is needed a whole lot easier.

1x 9919BFF -4 AN to 12mm x 1.25 Male (threads into the block's oil feed hole)
1x 220487 -4 AN 90 DEGREE HOSE END (oil feed line to the turbo)
1x 220490 -4 AN STRAIGHT HOSE END (oil feed line from the block)
2x 670520 Metric adapter to -6an X14MM 1.5 (two for turbo, two for block. Only order 3 if you are going to use the rear water line on a S13 SR)
1x 900106 -6 ECON-O-FIT RED 5/8 ID (ONLY used if using S13 SR rear water line)
3x 220687 -6 90 DEGREE HOSE END (two will be used to make the water line going from the block to the turbo. Only buy 2 if using the rear waterline on the S13 SR)
1x 220690 -6 STRAIGHT HOSE END (1 for the oil feed line. Don't order if using S13 SR rear water line)
1x 220047 -10 1/2" NPT ADAPTER (this will convert the oil drain fitting on the block to -10an)
1x 697070 -10 ADAPTER (bolts onto GT series turbo's as a -10an oil return flange)
1x 220090 -10 STRAIGHT HOSE END (block side fitting for oil return hose)
1x 220086 -10 45 DEGREE HOSE END (this is needed, a straight hose end will not fit turbos mounted to the powerlab manifold)
1x 632150 -10 PROFLEX HOSE 3FT (3ft is the smallest quantity orderable by summit)
1x 230610 -6 S.S. HOSE 10FT (6ft is the absolute minimum I'd recommend ordering, besides, any extra can be used in the future for things like fuel lines)
1x 230403 -4 S.S. HOSE 3FT (again, the minimum amount that can be ordered from summit)

Also, this kit places the Downpipe in extreme proximity to any breather tube connecting the block to the valve cover. I used this:
2x 900112 -12 ECON-O-FIT RED 15/16 ID
1x 230203 -12 S.S. HOSE 3FT (I plan on finding a way to convert the fittings on the greddy catch can to -12 and -10 in the future)

pyshin
12-29-2009, 07:09 PM
That. Is. Beautiful. Congrats.

Geno750
12-29-2009, 07:22 PM
And here is a video of the setup at idle, no fluid or exhaust leaks, so I'll be road testing it once the car is back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvQyVyX2ZTQ

brndck
12-30-2009, 09:01 PM
one question, how does this all fit on an lhd car?

Geno750
12-30-2009, 09:06 PM
one question, how does this all fit on an lhd car?

I'd say better. No A/C or heater lines to contend with, and everything is very close to the block easily leaving space for the steering rack and bmc.

sidewayson
01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I have the car they designed the manifold on and it is lhd everything fits and works great i do not have ac but i do have powersteering. My car runs great the only problem i did not for see was the oil return line I had to run a 45 off the turbo and i redid the block to a -10 not a big deal. Dyno time this week. :). Glad to see the kit worked out for you geno

XnTroubleX
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
how long did it take for you to have it in posession after you ordered it?

chinabean
01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
wow badass :)

Geno750
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
how long did it take for you to have it in posession after you ordered it?

Sorry for my late reply, I've been in Hong Kong and don't have a whole lot of time to get online. From purchase to delivery it took about 6 weeks, but I was one of the very first people to purchase, and we (intensepower and I) wanted to make sure everything fit properly. So I told them I wouldn't mind waiting for them to get a similar turbo to what I have to ensure proper downpipe fitment.

XnTroubleX
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry for my late reply, I've been in Hong Kong and don't have a whole lot of time to get online. From purchase to delivery it took about 6 weeks, but I was one of the very first people to purchase, and we (intensepower and I) wanted to make sure everything fit properly. So I told them I wouldn't mind waiting for them to get a similar turbo to what I have to ensure proper downpipe fitment.
No prob on the delay,, I ordered my mani and it came in in about 3 weeks, I didnt order the kit because Im going a different direction on the turbo. But I ordered the wastegates, dump pipe and dump tubes about a week ago and they should be here next week.

Geno750
02-20-2010, 08:04 AM
No prob on the delay,, I ordered my mani and it came in in about 3 weeks, I didnt order the kit because Im going a different direction on the turbo. But I ordered the wastegates, dump pipe and dump tubes about a week ago and they should be here next week.

Nice, what turbo are you going to use?

IntensePower
07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Any updates on your build... HP numbers or anything.

Nice write up btw... THANKS FOR SHARING!

Geno750
07-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Any updates on your build... HP numbers or anything.

Nice write up btw... THANKS FOR SHARING!

Yea. I haven't been able to update it until now. I was living in Hong Kong since Jan so the car was in storage. Finished installing a Mazworx intake manifold and ID 1000cc injectors.

Next is removing the battery tray (yay, I hate these) and making the hole in the body larger for the 3in intercooler piping coming to the q45 throttle body.

Geno750
07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Double post :(

240sxcure
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Would these manifolds be prone to cracking with the added weight?

IntensePower
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Would these manifolds be prone to cracking with the added weight?

Not at all, once you have one in your hands you will see clearly why

Geno750
09-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Not at all, once you have one in your hands you will see clearly why

^ I've got about 20 miles on the setup adjusting the basemap for the 1000cc injectors and no issues so far. turbo nuts are nice and solid still, same for all the v-band clams.

While setting up the base map, maxed out the fuel pump (OEM R32 GTR). So I had to order a surge tank and Bosch 044 pump. I'll update this once everything is installed.

http://airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/gettinthere.jpg

babillaracing
09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
nice car ,loved the gauge cluster.

greenman100
12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Geno, can you talk a little about what you did with the breather line? Mine is almost touching the downpipe without a tube on the breather pipe...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ufx5rm.jpg

(My downpipe and manifold are coated with White Lightning)

ross.cottrill
12-25-2010, 08:08 PM
wow,are you like running e85 or something?or are you just doing it now for future needs,cuz the fuel setup seems over shot a bit??also,not sure your going to achieve anyhting other than lag with 3 inch pipe and a 30r..i have the full race t/s t4 setup,and my buddy has the powerlabs setup...personally i like the slightly larger runner diameter on the powerlabs stuff cuz im an hp junkie.your setup is freakin awsome!!i had a 30r kit a while back and it is freakin fun man,enjoy it!!!

oh,dont forget to post up some dynos if ya can..

IntensePower
12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
No doubt would love to see the Dyno's!

240knockout
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Bring this back from the dead as I just purchased one of these kits second hand.

I have a question...The person I purchased from threw in all his lines and the s14 waterneck.

I am assuming you want to dump the "hot" (after cooling turbo) water back into the water neck. How do you cap off the original s13 line in the back of the block?

Geno750
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Bring this back from the dead as I just purchased one of these kits second hand.

I have a question...The person I purchased from threw in all his lines and the s14 waterneck.

I am assuming you want to dump the "hot" (after cooling turbo) water back into the water neck. How do you cap off the original s13 line in the back of the block?

Sorry for the late reply, I unsubscripted from this thread on accident. The easiest way to block that line off, without taking the motor out of the car is to thread a bolt into the hose coming off the back of the motor and clamping it down.

s15lover
02-14-2011, 01:28 AM

I've been trying to get a hold of them...I guess I may just end up calling them. I'm wanting to see if they can make this manifold without the wastegate provisions as I want to use a new Borgwarner efr series turbo . The downpipe of course I'll have made local. Great thread nonetheless just noticed it was a year old but still.

Geno750
02-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Again, sorry for the late replies, its been a busy few months for me.

Geno, can you talk a little about what you did with the breather line? Mine is almost touching the downpipe without a tube on the breather pipe...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ufx5rm.jpg

(My downpipe and manifold are coated with White Lightning)

You have to bend it rearward, and out a little, then run a longer hose so the bend has a radius which extends out enough to avoid contacting the manifold. -12 hose is what I used

wow,are you like running e85 or something?or are you just doing it now for future needs,cuz the fuel setup seems over shot a bit??also,not sure your going to achieve anyhting other than lag with 3 inch pipe and a 30r..i have the full race t/s t4 setup,and my buddy has the powerlabs setup...personally i like the slightly larger runner diameter on the powerlabs stuff cuz im an hp junkie.your setup is freakin awsome!!i had a 30r kit a while back and it is freakin fun man,enjoy it!!!

oh,dont forget to post up some dynos if ya can..

Actually the few drives I've had with the car, it was hitting 1 bar of boost at 4200rpm, which was very nice. I'm not having too much pressure drop with the stupid (I admit, its way too big) large tube/fin FMIC I'm using. The fuel system is a little on the overkill side but I wanted reliability, and an oem tank so this seemed like the only way to make those two things work. Did learn an important lesson though, SS braided rubber weeps fuel vapors. This is not awesome. Ended up smelling like a lawnmower till I changed them to SS braided Teflon lines.
http://airepoweraviation.com/pictures/Fuel-0489.jpg

Dyno is going to take place in about a month. I broke my trans road testing, and have removed the engine from the car to fix a few other issues.

I'll make a new thread to document the process of installing the 350z gearbox onto the SR20DET using one of George's adapter plates, which can be found here (http://zilvia.net/f/drivetrain/357396-z33-sr20-transmission-adapters-4-available.html). I unfortunately can't comment on getting the speedo to work with that swap, as I cheated by using a Racepak Logger dash which has a GPS based speedo.

splitfire
08-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Geno, may I ask a couple of questions on your setup?
I've purchased the same Powerlab kit and I want to know if it has a tendency to crack. Are the exhaust studs steady still? Did you saw expansion slots between the exhaust ports? And did you install any sort of bracing for the turbo? GT3071R, the manifold and downpipe weight too much, I doubt that the studs could withstand this weight.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks in advance.

Geno750
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Geno, may I ask a couple of questions on your setup?
I've purchased the same Powerlab kit and I want to know if it has a tendency to crack. Are the exhaust studs steady still? Did you saw expansion slots between the exhaust ports? And did you install any sort of bracing for the turbo? GT3071R, the manifold and downpipe weight too much, I doubt that the studs could withstand this weight.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks in advance.

Your English is a lot better than some of the posts by native speakers on this forum.

Breaking my gearbox when getting the car ready to dyno has been a bigger setback than I thought. I finally got my Z33 transmission back after having the bellhousing face cut down .5"

Also during that time I sold my setup to a friend to have installed on his S15. I bought a second powerlab manifold, this time with the plans to use an EFR 7064 turbo so I could eliminate the need for two wastegates. Now I have to wait for my turbo which I ordered back in April. Right now, if you go by the EFR twitter page (http://twitter.com/#%21/EFRturbo), we can expect to see them some time in October.

http://airepoweraviation.com/pictures/manifold-2163.jpg