PDA

View Full Version : top mount clearance/heat issue

mattro
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
so as i put my car back together i notice that my turbo is damn near touching my brake booster. i was going to wrap the header and turbo and heat sheild the booster but its seriously TOUCHING the booster so a shield wont fit nor will a turbo wrap.

here are my options

1 the most obvious buy a better engineered top mount.
but i cant afford one at the moment

2 modify my current top mount (cut off flange, grind and re-weld)
(im leaning towards this one.)

3 find a smaller brake booster, and wrap/ shield like i would have originally.

and here is a pic.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/97ser/brakebooster.jpg

i could really use some input and advice from others who have had this problem.

NISNPWR
08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I had this problem also, i took a couple washers and put them on the passanger side of the brake booster to get it away from the turbo a little bit. then i invested in a turbo blanket. i have not had a problem since.

mattro
08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I had this problem also, i took a couple washers and put them on the passanger side of the brake booster to get it away from the turbo a little bit. then i invested in a turbo blanket. i have not had a problem since.

WOW that is perfect. thanks a bunch that was some good info.:trogdor:

what do you recommend a fiber glass once that fits snug or a metal once that goes around it?
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/97ser/88030149.jpg or
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/97ser/rsspecv2turboheatshield.jpg

rps13drift
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
that manifold is shit! For all the time and work you are going to put into making that work you mind aswell just buy a better one. Ichiba makes a decent t3 topmount for alittle more than that ebay junk. It looks/fits/works alot nicer. I ran my gt30r on it at a bunch of track events with no problems

mattro
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
that manifold is shit! For all the time and work you are going to put into making that work you mind aswell just buy a better one. Ichiba makes a decent t3 topmount for alittle more than that ebay junk. It looks/fits/works alot nicer. I ran my gt30r on it at a bunch of track events with no problems

thanks im looking into that now but for the moment i need to get this thing running. if i had the money i would but im kinda sort on cash iat the moment. having just bought a winter beater than needs some work

shmiddy
08-31-2009, 06:24 AM

Ichiba manifolds blow. i have one and i ended up having to mod it just to fit right. that manifold sits my turbo sooo weird. and not only that, the turbo and head are touching, fitment sux.......

godrifttoday
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
just get the smaller booster from the junkyard i think the sentra ones are much smaller

mattro
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
just get the smaller booster from the junkyard i think the sentra ones are much smaller

will look into that, ive actually put some washers behind it and that did the trick for now.

s14unimog
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM
You've got another problem too. That shitty collector gasket you got with your manifold is going to blow soon after running it.

just a fact for ya...

I would definitely get a heat blanket and look into getting the compressor housing Ceramic coated

s15specR
09-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I have the same problem with a peakboost manifold, with the little space I have I think a turbo blanket may end up touching the BMC, would ceramic coating help enough to be a sole solution ?

mattro
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I have the same problem with a peakboost manifold, with the little space I have I think a turbo blanket may end up touching the BMC, would ceramic coating help enough to be a sole solution ?

i would like to know the same, but for now i think i will cut around the inside of the turbo flange, (side closest to the engine) bend it down and reweld.

and the gasket is w.e we have a local speed shop that stocks things like that