PDA

View Full Version : coil pack keeps burning up

supreme_1
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
so i just bought a s13 with a s13 red top sr20det. its all stock from what i can see. so i was trying to figure out the problem for the last 2 weeks and im still at square one.

the previous owner said that after his friend messed with wires under the dash board, directly under the steering column the problem occured. could it be related to the burning of the coilpack?

the coilpack for the #4 cylinder keeps burning up. I switched the coilpack from another cylinder and it is still doing it. i checked grounds and wiring and everything checks out ok.

does anyone else have any suggestions as to what it could be?

-ECU?
-Ignitor chip?

those are the only two other things i can think of.

4x4le
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
You say you switched it around with another one and its still doing it, by that you mean the number 4 cylinder coil pack is buring up and it didnt follow that coilpack correct?

My first guess would be the charge wire. I doubt its an ignitor problem because the ignitors like to pop quickly if there is a problem near them.

blackej7
08-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I dont think theres any wiring under the steering column that he could fuck with that would affect only 1 cylinder.

i would suspect a short somewhere... what do you mean when you checked your grounds and wiring and it was "ok"?

I would isolate that circuit, and start ohming out wires pin to pin and pin to ground (to check for a short)...

I dont see why it couldnt be the ignitor, however ive never figured out how to test them following the FSM.

4x4le
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I didnt say the Ignitor couldnt be the problem, however I would doubt it. The ignitor is just a mean for grounding so the coil can turn on. The coil also can deal with allot more heat than the ignitor can so usually an ignitor kills the ignitor instead of the coil.

SleepR 240sx
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Coilpack wiring harness...there's a short in it somewhere...same exact thing happened to me. It's not a big harness so just check through it.

supreme_1
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
well i checked on everything, and he completely wired the coilpack harness wrong. the previous owner extended a splitfire ignition/coilpack system. I couldnt tell since everything was loomed. so the previous owner has absolutely no knowledge of cars and he put in a regular coilpack, which in turn has a different pin out on the coilpack. i didnt even notice it was a splitfire system from the coil pack.

I also noticed that the harness was touching the header on the bottom side and melted the wires, im presuming that is what caused the #4 coilpack to initially burn when he had it. so now i got most of the ignition wiring done, and now there is no fuel. yay me.

fuel pump is getting power, and i wired everything up correctly, now to check for a fuel pump kill via the alarm and the fuel pump relay. does anyone happen to know where its located off hand?