PDA

View Full Version : Being a male nurse....

jamg
08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
desperate times call for desperate measures

08-08-2009, 12:06 AM
10+ years now as a RN.

I challenge anyone to step in the ring for 12 rounds, MT rules with me.

That is all I am saying on this stupid question.

jamg
08-08-2009, 12:07 AM
10+ years now as a RN.

I challenge anyone to step in the ring for 12 rounds, MT rules with me.

That is all I am saying on this stupid question.

haha wow.

how is everything? what's your lifestyle like? could you explain it further?
MT?

08-08-2009, 12:09 AM
3 12hr days a week 4 days off a week. 90k a year after taxes.

Muay Thai

jamg
08-08-2009, 12:11 AM
3 12hr days a week 4 days off a week. 90k a year.

Muay Thai

ha, that's is my kind of schedule....and $.

wow.

brb, changing bio major to pre-nursing.

08-08-2009, 12:13 AM
be sure you can deal with it first though. I am not going to say it's easy but the pay is good.

Can you handle giving a HIV + person a needle for his pain med.

Can you handle shit blood and guts on you with gods knows what disease in it.

jamg
08-08-2009, 12:18 AM
be sure you can deal with it first though. I am not going to say it's easy but the pay is good.

Can you handle giving a HIV + person a needle for his pain med.

Can you handle shit blood and guts on you with gods knows what disease in it.

i'm sure i can. don't call me weird, but i can stand all these wierd shit seen on the internet. (you know, be-headings, animal abuse, freak accidents, videos filled with gore, etc.)
This is the internet, but i don't see a difference in real life. same things, it's just not physically in my face.

but i understand, the schooling will also be tough.

but it's hard if you want an advanced degree in anything....

08-08-2009, 12:23 AM
your into be-heading?, cool you should be an OR nurse. They do harvesting all the time.

When a coke head kills himself we harvest pretty much every organ for someone who actually wants to live life to the fullest.

ESmorz
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
i'm sure i can. don't call me weird, but i can stand all these wierd shit seen on the internet. (you know, be-headings, animal abuse, freak accidents, videos filled with gore, etc.)
This is the internet, but i don't see a difference in real life. same things, it's just not physically in my face.

but i understand, the schooling will also be tough.

but it's hard if you want an advanced degree in anything....

That's like saying "I'm ready for war because I play Call of Duty."

You never know how you will handle it till it's in your face. The smells, the visuals, and the overall sadness you are around all day (depending on what kind of field you end up in). My mom was a nurse for 30 some odd years. I've heard a lot of stories and know that you see a lot of shit.

What are your thought on a male, being a nurse?

is it gay/homo?

a job that is only for women?

And this... I hope to god that anyone who has even posed this question does not become a nurse and is at my bed side in a time of need. Maybe that's just me though.

Mi Beardo es Loco
08-08-2009, 12:28 AM
if you can write a prescription it's all worth it in the end.

08-08-2009, 12:30 AM
That's like saying "I'm ready for war because I play Call of Duty."

You never know how you will handle it till it's in your face. The smells, the visuals, and the overall sadness you are around all day (depending on what kind of field you end up in). My mom was a nurse for 30 some odd years. I've heard a lot of stories and know that you see a lot of shit.

You said it. It's a huge difference.

You will be taking care of pt's with C-diff, MRSA, SARS, HIV, TB, the list goes on and on. You can't catch any of that on the internets.

+1 for your MOM!!!

And this... I hope to god that anyone who has even posed this question does not become a nurse and is at my bed side in a time of need. Maybe that's just me though.

So true. If you are going into nursing for the money I can guarantee you will hate the job. That is why originally I said it was a stupid question, because it is.

adam s
08-08-2009, 12:30 AM
if you can write a prescription it's all worth it in the end.

lol awesome.

And what is the point of this thread btw?

08-08-2009, 12:36 AM
^no point.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 12:43 AM
from what i hear, the pay is great and the hours are long, but it's not for everyone. you basically have to take care of people who aren't able to take care of themselves. if you've ever taken care of a baby, imagine doing that with a full grown adult. i'm not talking about just babysitting either. you'd have to feed them, cloth them, bathe them, wipe the shit out of their ass, clean their puke, etc. feeding them and putting them to sleep is the easy part.

nurses have been in demand for a while now and with the aging baby boomer population, you know there will be a need for nurses in the near future. there are many different paths you can take from 2 year to 4 year university among others. of course the b.s. degree is better and you can go up to masters and phd. but with phd you are probably overqualified for the normal nursing jobs and limited to teaching. you have to do your own research to see what path to take. i'm pretty sure there is a board of nursing with an exam you have to take to become an RN also.

i met a guy in my weight training class who was graduating that last semester and becoming a nurse. he told me he had a job lined up with stanford starting at $40/hr. not too shabby, but he told me stories of some nasty things he had to do when he was doing his clinicals with real life patients. one of the nasty things he had to do was put some kind of pill up some older man's ass with his fingers. he also told me he got pee'd on before when he was helping a guy with bladder problems who couldn't control it and his weiner just flung everywhere spraying the piss in the air and on his face. he also had to clean up shit a few times.

i was surprised he started out so high. i was talking to one of my other friends who worked at a hospital part time and he said he's not surprised at the pay (some of the nurses at his hospital make over $100-120k, but he told me it could be a really nasty job.

i think what i mentioned relates more with taking care of elderly people. i'm sure most nurses do similar things though. btw, this is coming from a guy who considered nursing as a major over 5 years ago (never seriously thought of becoming a nurse, but considered it because I knew it was a job with demand).

i recall some of the nursing programs are difficult to get into. the guy i met in weight training told me lots of students are applying and the wait to be accepted could be 2-3 years and also mentioned the more prestigious nursing colleges take only the best students so you better have a 3.5+ gpa coming in, or you'll get rejected. our state college was already doing that by the time he graduated and he was fortunate he got accepted years before since his gpa was below 3.0

edit: btw, i'm one of the people who feel weak in the body when i see some gory shit on tv like live surgerious of people being cut open or exploding corpses. another reason why i knew i couldn't be a doctor/surgeon/nurse (that and i'm not smart enough)

jamg
08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
it's ok, i'm going to become an investment banker.

and take everyone's money away

theronin
08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
got a lady friend whos an RN. she loves it, takes a special kind of person to go into that field imo. alot of compassion and even more patience. i dont have much of either. so its up to you.

kevmeistah21
08-08-2009, 02:10 AM
i'am studying to become a R.N and what biatch! It's gonna be in demand, specially male nurses! Get to work with alot of female nurses also! My sister is a r.n and i shadow her sometimes and it's not that bad.. Also with filipino parents you can't choose any other profession..

hOngsterr
08-08-2009, 04:02 AM
hey hey,
got out of the world of business to get into nursing.
GWC FTMFW!
lol bt yeah pay is good,
each year passes by the more money you make etc...

my friends bro is in it and
there a high demand for nurses right now.

r6_240sx
08-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Also with filipino parents you can't choose any other profession..You can go to the Navy, LOL...

there a high demand for nurses right now.There will always be a demand because people will always get hurt.

I don't think I've EVER seen my parents unemployed. Hell, my mom works TOO MUCH.

Bubbles
08-08-2009, 07:25 AM
It's going to take more than 40 bucks an hour for me to clean up peoples shit, piss, and vomit.

DrtyRat
08-08-2009, 07:43 AM
My wife just finished her 2nd semester of nursing school and while it's difficult, she loves it. Last semester she got to see a brain surgery. More importantly when she finishes next year, I'll have a ton of money to get my car finished! Oh yeAh, and something about job stability, but that part isn't all that important :)

flip3d
08-08-2009, 07:58 AM
3 12hr days a week 4 days off a week. 90k a year after taxes.

Muay Thai

Where the hell do you work? My mom works the same and doesn't make that much.

handinpants
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
how many of you male nurses are Filipino? i knew a few guys who are.

S-Nation S13
08-08-2009, 09:27 AM
lol thats whats up all you guys here thinking medical jobs arent cool yada yada yada..out of all the jobs here its the only job that seems ressesion safe dont you think..theres always gonna be sick people,there for you need a hospital

my bros just finished x-ray school now all he does is takes x-rays for about 32 an hour lol hard work ..really hard work..YA RIGHT!!
i on the other hand just finished my phlebotomy class just waiting for my internship and ill be one step closer

MEDICAL JOBS FTMFW

smellslikecurry
08-08-2009, 09:40 AM
go to pharmacy school

good pay

much easier than being a nurse

but still lots of responsibility

r6_240sx
08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
lol thats whats up all you guys here thinking medical jobs arent cool yada yada yada..out of all the jobs here its the only job that seems ressesion safe dont you think..theres always gonna be sick people,there for you need a hospitalYou'd be surprised. My local hospital is filing for bankruptcy. Too many uninsured people going to the hospital that can't pay (homeless/immigrants/etc.) and doctors abusing their power by having patients stay in the hospital too long (more visiting hours for doctors = more $$ the hospital has to pay to them).

bornslippy73
08-08-2009, 10:05 AM
First 2 years as a male nurse. The only bad side is dealing with the senior nurses that have been employed before me and give attitude and drama in the professional environment.

They happily gossip and are a bunch of prima donnas.

08-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Where the hell do you work? My mom works the same and doesn't make that much.

Characteristically the west cost and NY/Boston areas pay a little higher. The only other thing I can think of is I work nights 7p-7a so I get the evening diff for the first four(which is jack) and the night diff($8.00/hr) for the last 8hrs a shift.

sunnys14
08-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Nursing is cool and all but I like specializing, so I figured out that nursing wasn't for me and that's why I went to become an RT.

Reasons why I didn't want to become an RN over being an RT:

I don't like talking to family.
I get to be head of the bed during a code.
I get to leave when the code is over while the RN gets to clean up ;)
RN's call me when the patient is going downhill fast.

I got love for the RN's, i'm not hating :)

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 01:05 PM
out of all the jobs here its the only job that seems ressesion safe dont you think..theres always gonna be sick people,there for you need a hospital

they've always said that about people being sick and people needing to eat. so be a doctor or be a chef/own a restaurant. both these fields are long hours and work. some nurses make more than doctors, but that's because they log a lot of overtime.

go to pharmacy school

good pay

much easier than being a nurse

but still lots of responsibility

in the medical field, pharmacy and becoming a doctor is more more difficult in terms of all the studying and takes more years of education compared to nursing. you have to be really smart and able to do it since you're responsible for mixing medication for people or examining and diagnosing people/writing prescriptions and recommending what surgery or steps to take, which can effect the outcome of their life. no one is going to trust a doctor or pharmacist who graduated with a B or C average. (when you go to a doctor, do you want a 70-80% chance or a 90-100% that your doctor is right?)

a lot of people who are science majors at local state universities major in science in order to transfer into a medical school to become pharmacist, doctors, dentist, orthopedist, etc. (since many medical programs require a lot of the core science courses as prerequisites, much more so than engineering or computer science)

it takes a lot of schooling and majoring in science is a lot of hours of school (every science course is usually accompanied by a 3hr lab and you probably need like 30+ science courses to complete the degree) i have a lot of respect for those people who major in science an do well.

ALTRNTV
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not an RN, but close to it. I'm a student RCP/RT right now. Never thought I would ever be in the medical
field, but that's where the money and job security is.

I'm thinking of moving up the ladder to a nurse practitioner or PA, but would rather be a NP because they can have their own
practices and prescribe medicine.

smellslikecurry
08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
they've always said that about people being sick and people needing to eat. so be a doctor or be a chef/own a restaurant. both these fields are long hours and work. some nurses make more than doctors, but that's because they log a lot of overtime.

in the medical field, pharmacy and becoming a doctor is more more difficult in terms of all the studying and takes more years of education compared to nursing. you have to be really smart and able to do it since you're responsible for mixing medication for people or examining and diagnosing people/writing prescriptions and recommending what surgery or steps to take, which can effect the outcome of their life. no one is going to trust a doctor or pharmacist who graduated with a B or C average. (when you go to a doctor, do you want a 70-80% chance or a 90-100% that your doctor is right?)

a lot of people who are science majors at local state universities major in science in order to transfer into a medical school to become pharmacist, doctors, dentist, orthopedist, etc. (since many medical programs require a lot of the core science courses as prerequisites, much more so than engineering or computer science)

it takes a lot of schooling and majoring in science is a lot of hours of school (every science course is usually accompanied by a 3hr lab and you probably need like 30+ science courses to complete the degree) i have a lot of respect for those people who major in science an do well.

:bow:

im almost done with my doctor of pharmacy degree and taking my lsats this upcoming semester to get my JD.

i do agree with you that it is very very very difficult but if you stay on top of your studies its definitely possible.

there's a huge shortage of pharmacists now in the US and starting salary has been climbing

40 hour work weeks = 115k starting + full benefits
60 hour work weeks = 150k starting + full benefits

and those are New York wages...other states will give you 20k to 50k sign on bonuses and even pay for your housing/moving fees.

Definitely worth the 6 years of schooling.

It's really up to you...you have to have the drive/passion to do it.

If money is all your focused on it will be infinitely harder.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 02:33 PM
:bow:

im almost done with my doctor of pharmacy degree and taking my lsats this upcoming semester to get my JD.

i do agree with you that it is very very very difficult but if you stay on top of your studies its definitely possible.

If money is all your focused on it will be infinitely harder.

lsats for JD, isn't that a lawyer's designation? do you use it to write new theories? i've seen authors of some accounting books who hold titles of phd, cpa, and jd.

so you'll be a phd in pharmacy and jd?

how do you stay focused with pharmacy? something mixing different compositions of elements interest you?

murda-c
08-08-2009, 02:57 PM
But guysss obama is doing something naughty with healthcare i heard it on the raddio.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 03:15 PM
you mean trying to provide healthcare for everyone in the US, including illegals, on tax payers' dime?

Rabbi010
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
This is my first semester going into Radiation Therapy. I'm still trying to figure out how much we make in Nassau County, NY but whatever. I was planning on going away to school but after seeing a bunch of people who are 23+ without good paying jobs, I figured that it seemed better to stay in this major where only 12-14 people get in a year and there is a guaranteed job at the end of the 2 years. All I know is that I'm making 50k+ before taxes after this and that the job isn't hard as long as you know your materials.

smellslikecurry
08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
lsats for JD, isn't that a lawyer's designation? do you use it to write new theories? i've seen authors of some accounting books who hold titles of phd, cpa, and jd.

so you'll be a phd in pharmacy and jd?

how do you stay focused with pharmacy? something mixing different compositions of elements interest you?

yepp doctor of pharmacy and jd

pharm companies want law/pharmds to help them approve meds and work out legal issues...starting salary is 300+

pharm classes are a lot different what people think they are...basically this is how its broken down

first few years you take bs core classes and intro to chem/orgo and bio.

you also take a mix of public speaking and how to deal with patients

you have to take biochem, anatomy, physiology, medicinal chem, compounding, how to make iv bags

ever class has its own lab too which kidna sucks

you also take courses/labs on how to work as a clinical pharmacist/retail pharmacist.

then 4th 5th year the real classes start....they're called Drugs and Diseases.

Basically they're classes that teach you everything about a disease, the drugs that treat it, how to treat it, diagnosis and the chemical structures/properties of the drugs.

That's the toughest part because there are so many damn diseases, so many different ways to treat them and so many damn interactions...

then end of 5th year and 6th year you do residency pretty much.

There's no real way to get yourself into it unless you genuinely want to do it.

Trust me though...when you're paying for 6 years of school youll want to get your moneys worth.

Witness
08-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I thought about becoming a RN, but after talk with my mom who used to be one, current students, and graduates. I decided to take a Radiologic Technologist Explorations class and well its X-Ray Tech FTW!! Same schedule,less hassles, no ass wiping involved.

smellslikecurry
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
theres always PA

but if youre going to becoming a PA might as well become a doctor

mrpeepers
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Male nursing student here. For those thinking about it yes there are highs and yes there are lows.

The Lows: There is a stigma in the hospital that you will wipe ass. No that is not always true when you become a professional, but will definately happen to you during school. Another thing i see is that the RN is the "middleclass" profressional in the Hospital and are subject to alot of the drama and BS that either come from docs or ancillary staff. The hospital demands alot from the RN as it is the biggest expenditure and some RNs do not make it for very long working 12hr shifts in an Urban Emergency dept.

The Highs: Job security and Pay. There is no job that i can think of where you can go to school for 2 years and make close to 100k and be in DEMAND in an economy like this. The field can be so diversified from psych nursing where it is pretty much "baby sitting" to nurse anesthesia where you administer powerful drugs for surgeries and get compensated 120k average. Another perk which is obvious is the ratio. If you are a single male RN it is very easy to get some, but i would think twice because of the ensuing gossip.

Anyways being a nurse can take someone very far because there are so many specialties, but it does take a very special person like someone said. Feel free to discuss

Kaizen.
08-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I have mad respect for RN's. My girlfriend and her family (fillipino's) are in that field. Nurses, Doctors, Anesthesiologist, etc. I wish I had the balls to do that. Not much of a blood person myself. Definitely a good field to be in. I might start working at a nursing home soon, we'll see how that goes......=/

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Another perk which is obvious is the ratio. If you are a single male RN it is very easy to get some, but i would think twice because of the ensuing gossip.

i think they say that the nursing industry ratio is only about 10% male, although growing. it's still a female dominated profession.

however, one of my friends who went to nursing school say a lot of the guys in there seem like homosexuals and he's had trouble meeting normal guys to chill with. lol. he also mentioned that a lot of the females are either older, are really serious about school, or already in serious relationships with bfs. but this is just 1 school he was talking about, idk how it's like in a hospital or out there in industry.

but if you're going into nursing in the hopes of meeting girls, you're going for the wrong reason anyways.

kevmeistah21
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
but if you're going into nursing in the hopes of meeting girls, you're going for the wrong reason anyways.

Yea, i don't wanna be going to a hospital with someone fuckin another nurse while im sick..

SochBAT
08-08-2009, 06:45 PM
yea, I'm gearing myself up to becoming a male RN as well.

I used to be an EMT, and if you think being an RN is shit, you haven't walked a day in the life of an EMT.

You are the LOWEST class of health care, the most important (first responders) and the least acknowledged. The nurses always go ga-ga for the firefighters/paramedics, but EMTs get shit on all the time. it sucks hard. Stressful, hard, pay sucks.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 07:00 PM
LOL, sounds like one of those stories of hardworking individuals who gets NO acknowledgment even though the work is important and difficult.

i have another friend schooling to become an EMT, but never heard how the life of an EMT is.

SochBAT
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Think about it.

You save lives. You keep em going until they get to the hospital. You save babies from drowning, you help retards that shit candles/hamsters/bats up their asses, you save children from ODing on pills/drugs/etc.

Who gets most of that credit? Doctors.

If it wasn't for the EMTs, doctors wouldn't have patients to 'save.'

3K sign on bonus, 8-10/hour.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 07:33 PM
3K sign on bonus, 8-10/hour.

that's it? wonder why my friend is trying to become an emt for all that headache.

SochBAT
08-08-2009, 07:44 PM
To be quite frank, the main reason I became an EMT (not even a full year) was to truly be selfless and help people, to be the Hero if you please.

Shit gets old, you get worn down, everyones breathing down your neck.

Something my EMT teacher told me thats stuck - "If you're doing this for the money, GTFO. If you're doing it to help people, save lives, and feel good about what you do, listen the fuck up."

There is NO PRESTIGE in being an EMT. In the field, you're comparable to the McDonalds worker. No joke.

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL. oh wells, seems like your moral has been sucked dry. happens in many professions. you're a young person wanting to learn and help, but you quickly discover that it's not what it's all made out to be.

at least you know you are still helping people (despite not being noticed/acknowledged for it)

mrpeepers
08-09-2009, 08:09 AM

Tru that. and its also better than lookin at other dudes. In my class there is 4 guys out of 29 students. 1 is a gay older dude and theres three striaght guys the same age. Theres nothing wrong with the gay dudes either i usually find them humorous

r6_240sx
08-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I used to be an EMT, and if you think being an RN is shit, you haven't walked a day in the life of an EMT.

You are the LOWEST class of health care, the most important (first responders) and the least acknowledged. The nurses always go ga-ga for the firefighters/paramedics, but EMTs get shit on all the time. it sucks hard. Stressful, hard, pay sucks.This is so true. I hear from firefighters and police ragging on emts all the time. I'm like wtf? I thought you're all suppose to be cool with each other. Guess not.

It's as if the police and firefighters have their own click and the emts are the black sheep.

SochBAT
08-09-2009, 05:54 PM
This is so true. I hear from firefighters and police ragging on emts all the time. I'm like wtf? I thought you're all suppose to be cool with each other. Guess not.

It's as if the police and firefighters have their own click and the emts are the black sheep.

http://media.podhoster.com/thatradio/images/bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329 .jpg

You gotta maximize to get the full intensity of it all.

phillofdfuture
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
woot male nursing!!! going for RN Anesthetists...

Enna
08-10-2009, 02:12 AM
I got nothing to contribute to the thread really, but soooshi that pic is epic.

I have a cousin that is an EMT, and soooshi is 100% correct. They get shit on by everyone. I don't expect an EMT to know everything and be able to make it alright, I expect them to be able to get me to a hospital before I die. That shit is important. They have to be able to drive, keep you from flying all over the place, and still make it to the hospital in time.

RN is serious shit, so is EMT. I may want a job that pays, but I will not go into that serious of a field just for that. I can handle all of the shit, seen alot of shit growing up, but its not for me. EMT deserves alot of credit, just as much as RN if you ask me.

Soooshi I bow down to you for doing that shit, its a fucked up job.:bowdown:

325irollin
08-10-2009, 02:27 AM
My mom quit nursing after a few months because it was too depressing seeing people die all the time. It's not an easy job I'm sure. It's definitely not sitting at a desk all day, it's actually nonstop work. I wouldn't waste my time if it's not something you want to do. I only work for the money, not because I love my job but I don't think I'd want to be a nurse/doctor/etc because you actually work your ass off + people dying + emotions from patients would fuck with me + whatever else. I'll just keep my boring desk job.

iHeartTheTouge
08-10-2009, 03:27 AM
i will be watching this thread.

i'm finally getting to my first year of college this year after a 2 year hiatus. going for pharmaceutical. i really want to go into Research and Development for a big drug firm but i dont have the math skills for that. From talking to my parents, their opinion is you dont really need anything higher than algebra to be a retail pharmacist. My mom has been a retail pharmacist since early 30s and hasnt used anything higher than basic algebra. Loves her job, pay is awesome, and has been encouraging me to go the same route, so I am. Although, being a nurse responding to codes and life threatening situations sounds much more interesting and exciting than handing out Rx's, answering phones, and talking to people all day.

SochBAT
08-10-2009, 04:00 AM
I've had someone die on me once. It wasn't cool at all.

I think my biggest problem when i first got into being an EMT was being attached. I tried the whole 'build rapport, be supportive' bullshit. And frankly, thats what fucking kills you.

EMTs have a twisted sense of humor, because the job demands it. You can't take shit seriously, or you'll realize how fucked up the world is.

Football players get paid fucking MILLIONS to dribble a fucking basketball/kick a fucking ball.

Do they save lives? No. Do they recontribute to society? To a VERY small degree, yes. Do they do more good than cops/firemen/paramedics/nurses/EMTs?

http://recycling.stanford.edu/images/dropoff/no.gif

That's one subject that always pisses me off. Seriously, I can't remember whens the last time I got so fucking heated. FUCK.

turbo_dreams
08-10-2009, 09:18 AM
This thread's awesome, helped me alot. Going back to school in sept after a year break to work, Was really looking forward to getting into nursing but i can't see myself having the patience to deal w/ shit+urine. I'm gonna look into being a rad tech, i hear it's still a 2years of school and about the same pay and they have much more of a chill job.

SochBAT
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
At the same time, I PERSONALLY, do frown at those that take the easy way. I'm getting into the nursing field again, and I do take pride in my job. As an EMT I took pride, but I did get a tad bit temperamental. Often.

mrflip69
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL damn... you guys can handle a lot of stuff, but throw a little poo and pee and you'll cry. You think that's all RNs do? If you're lucky, you'll have a CNA doing that stuff anyway.

I WISH places would pay someone that much $ to change diapers :P

good0177
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Mad props to all those that put themselves aside to some degree to aid those that truly need the help. I am one of four males in my last year of nursing school (BRN) and am excited/nervous to see what it will be like working as a nurse and not as a "student". Be prepared to answer the questions surrounding being a male nurse form patients, families, staff, etc. such as why not medical school, are you planning on medical school, are you a resident, hey look it's Focker RN, blah, blah. At the end of the day very few get the privalege to help others in such an intimate moment where patients put there trust/lives in your hands. I like the idea that each day will be different and the learning never stops. Good luck to all who pursue this field.

ALTRNTV
08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
To those who don't want the stigma of being a "nurse", but still want to get into the medical
field, look into radiology or respiratory therapy.

SochBAT
08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
^^

Or you could man-up.

:kiss:

ALTRNTV
08-10-2009, 07:11 PM
^^

Or you could man-up.

:kiss:
..that too. LOL

I never thought I would be in the medical field, but I knew that I didn't want to be
part of the typical Filipino stereotype of being a nurse, male or female. I chose
respiratory therapy and I'm loving it so far. I've become good friends with the
male RN's at the hospitals I do my clinicals at and they're normal people like
the rest of us. I have a lot of respect for what they do, and what they go through.

From what I could see, a nurses job is highly stressful, but at the same time,
rewarding. :l101:

wh0aitznic0
08-10-2009, 08:12 PM
As soon as I read the thread title, I KNEW Filipinos would chime in. With multiple members of my family being in the Nursing field, I give SO MUCH respect to anybody, male or female, that goes into job for anything other than just money.

zylvia213
08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
First i want to say props to all them people out there that has gone through the program and now working as an RN. I am not an RN yet but I am a healthcare provider that deals with peoples lives everyday. Eventhough I dont hold a license I do assist doctors and register nurses in many back office, procedures and what not. Medical field especially nursing is not for everyone. Yes it is very good money and yes you do get to work with many many good looking females specially filipino girls lol. I would challenge anyone that is interested in doing nursing for the money to get into the program.... the first quarter and clinicals will determine if your cut out for it. Nursing is no joke not only going through the program but even after when you are working as one. You really got to want to do it. Not only will you make good income but you will get so much knowledge of what the whole human anatomy is about.

So for those of you guys out there in the program or planning on doing it good luck and dont give up.... it's difficult, your life style will change but it will be well worth it at the end.

limited240
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
yepp doctor of pharmacy and jd

pharm companies want law/pharmds to help them approve meds and work out legal issues...starting salary is 300+

pharm classes are a lot different what people think they are...basically this is how its broken down

first few years you take bs core classes and intro to chem/orgo and bio.

you also take a mix of public speaking and how to deal with patients

you have to take biochem, anatomy, physiology, medicinal chem, compounding, how to make iv bags

ever class has its own lab too which kidna sucks

you also take courses/labs on how to work as a clinical pharmacist/retail pharmacist.

then 4th 5th year the real classes start....they're called Drugs and Diseases.

Basically they're classes that teach you everything about a disease, the drugs that treat it, how to treat it, diagnosis and the chemical structures/properties of the drugs.

That's the toughest part because there are so many damn diseases, so many different ways to treat them and so many damn interactions...

then end of 5th year and 6th year you do residency pretty much.

There's no real way to get yourself into it unless you genuinely want to do it.

Trust me though...when you're paying for 6 years of school youll want to get your moneys worth.

what university are u going. is it in cali.

sickstatus
04-28-2010, 02:04 PM
im about to finish school to b a cna.

then move to arizona to get my rn licenses.

fuck this california waiting list lol.

ima test for california though.

DALAZ_68
04-28-2010, 02:10 PM
my sister recently became a full fledge RN...she actually graduated back in nov-dec i believe, got hired on for 3 months prior to actually passing her final permit/licensing test (which she passed with flying color, even thoguh she shit bricks for that wait to hear she passed...lol)

her stories, insanse...but she's finally got her licensing and she enjoys what she's doing, even though she currently works night shifts...

i dunno...ive always wanted to get into the Xray side of things...cool machines, video game joy sticks and buttons...lol why not...

Mikey213
04-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Aint nothing wrong with it! But you have to bring you're A game at school. I could handle everything. Shoot shoving an internal catheter 6 inches down someones pee pee while him coughing and shit flying in my face is nothing. But the school itself is, FML! Hell with good grades I was late a few times midway threw and it was a no merci GTFO type of thing. But I do medical billing now so Im good at the moment! working on running my own boarding care and btw ZYLVIA213 is right because I am one of those who did it for the money.

mrsuave
04-29-2010, 03:29 AM
i wouldn't mind being a nurse, because it's always about the $$ :)

rc1honda
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I do echocardiography. I take ultrasound pictures of the heart. Make the same money a nurse but i don't have to deal with half of what they deal with on a dalily basis.

And also working with all women everyday can be very taxing. Women are crazy and overdramitic. And once a month they all get bitchy. I mean thats just real talk. But you have to take the good with the bad. I can tell you honestly that working with all women is like living on a another world. Men and women working togther is pretty normal. But when working with >80% women it gets crazy.

I like helping people, i like the technology aspect. I like the pay. Of you don;t think you could handle some of situations nursing presents you shoul dlook into diagnostic imaging. Similar pay with considerably less stress. And you don't have to clean up shit.

g6civcx
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Do what you need to do to make that money. Anybody who gives you problems can pay your bills for your or shut up.