PDA

View Full Version : emergency camfshaft cap problem

huntington19
07-15-2009, 09:38 AM
my ka is at a machine shop getting the works. However, this engine i'm rebuilding i don't have 2 of the cam caps. the guy made it very clear i needed the caps from the original motor..
all i have is a full set from a different ka.

are you able to mix? can you order new ones???

thanks in advance.

HYPNOTIK
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
You should be able to put different ones on it just have them line honed or bored since it's at the machine shop anyway. It might not even need it, I'm not sure.

TheWolf
07-17-2009, 05:09 AM
my ka is at a machine shop getting the works. However, this engine i'm rebuilding i don't have 2 of the cam caps. the guy made it very clear i needed the caps from the original motor..
all i have is a full set from a different ka.

are you able to mix? can you order new ones???

thanks in advance.

Yes you do. They are machined to fit each head. You may luck up and get some caps from a different head that fit close but it will be trial and error. If a friend has some and is local then borrow them and see if they fit. When you put the cap on the journal there should be no real edge to feel at the parting line between the two halves. It should be smooth. If it's not then the cam cap probably won't work. Use your current caps as a reference to how it should feel.

You should be able to put different ones on it just have them line honed or bored since it's at the machine shop anyway. It might not even need it, I'm not sure.

yes you can but most shops can not perform this procedure and when they can they charge a pretty penny for it. You could probably buy a new head for the price they charge.

Ceepo
07-17-2009, 05:12 AM
get a used head and be more careful not to lose them...