PDA

View Full Version : RB20 problems.

blazin_teg
06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I bought a s14 with a rb20 swap and I am having a weird problem with it. Mods are fmic, exhaust, factory turbo, gtr injectors with homemade resistor pack, 300zx maf, and a cone filter. My problem is, when I set the timing with a timing light my car just looses all power. Sounds like its really struggling, like its being choked off. When I rotate the cas all the way counter clockwise it runs at about 85 percent. Has decent power but still lacking a little. I have checked this so far. I have got a retune by carl h. I have upgraded the fpr to a standalone removing the factory fpr. Checked for boost leaks. And there are none. Set the tps. Tore the front of the engind down and checked the timing marks. They all line up perfectly. Did a compression check and got 152 148 146 149 146 146. on a cold engine. I am out of Ideas. Is there anything else that controls timing. Can the cas go bad. Could it be the ecu gone bad. Thats really all thats left. Pleas give me some ideas.

Chernobyl
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Take your CAS off and see if the alignment tab is still in place. Sometimes they break off and whoever puts the CAS on can put it on a couple teeth off.

If it's indeed broken, play with it a bit until you can get your timing in the right adjustment range?

blazin_teg
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I had the cas off about a week ago. I think the tab is on it. It would only go on one way. Ill take it off tonight and get a pic of it and post it. But im not having any problems setting the timing. I can set the timing dead on. The cas is about in the middle when I set it with a timing light. It just runs very underpowered. If the tab was broke the timing light would show the marks on the crank way off wouldnt it. When I turn it back to all the way ccw, where it runs the best, the timing marks ARE way off. So why does it run best when the cas is all the way ccw and out of timing, as oppsed to the timing being set right.