PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor setup.

1ZlowZ
05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l404/1ZlowZ/Desktop-1.jpg

Can anybody tell me how to get a background for each screen? I want a different background for each screen someone help. Thanks.

Sil-Abc
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
depends on the video card u have. so cards wont let u while some can. I only kno that most nvidia cards allow different backgrounds but its complicated. check google.

1ZlowZ
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I've checked google many times only one page shows up but they're for vista... :/ I have a Radeon graphics card one on VGA and one on the other plug.

neverrain
05-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Windows XP? I'm guessing that's a skin since no one has only 2.61 gigs of RAM in their computer.

Right click on your desktop. Choose "Change Desktop Background..."

You should get a popup on both screens for the background. If your video card is supporting both monitors (which, based on your picture it is) you can set a background for both monitors as well.

To tell you the truth I have never really had this problem, I just did it. I'm on a Mac right now or I could walk you through it better.

EDIT - Actually I just installed Win 7 Ultimate RC on my gaming rig too, so I can't walk you through it in XP. I'm sure someone here will have the answer for you though.

Helghast
05-13-2009, 08:43 PM
You should also use ULTRAMON, so you can extend that taskbar on both monitor.

It also might let you choose different wallpaper for each monitor.

if not, fire up photoshop and make a wallpaper with 2 pictures.

ULTRAMON is pretty much the best Multi-monitor software.

Realtime Soft UltraMon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/)

neverrain
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
You should also use ULTRAMON, so you can extend that taskbar on both monitor.

It also might let you choose different wallpaper for each monitor.

if not, fire up photoshop and make a wallpaper with 2 pictures.

ULTRAMON is pretty much the best Multi-monitor software.

Realtime Soft UltraMon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/)

Just for the record, I've never needed any software for dual displays. You will need it for that stretched taskbar thing, but your video card clearly supports dual displays. I don't remember it being that hard in XP.

FRpilot
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
is it possible to have more than 2 monitors. say 3, 4, 5, 8? just keep buying more video cards with dual ports?

pignose4life
05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
yeah my card can handle 4 monitors its a nvidia so if you have 2 of these cards you can run 8 monitors

FRpilot
05-14-2009, 12:42 AM
what kind of nvidia card is this? i thought most cards support and have outlets for 2 monitors. do you mean it has 2 dvi outs, 1 regular svga, and 1 hdmi outs and you can plug up monitors on all 4?

neverrain
05-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Most of the newer nVidia cards will support dual displays. Get 2 and you have 4 monitors. Use those same 2 cards, add SLI adapter, output to 1 monitor, and you have motherboard burning FPS @ 1920x1200 maxed. <3 nVidia cards.

Sil-Abc
05-14-2009, 04:58 AM
iirc for nvidia cards, each card supports 2 displays so however displays u want, divide that by 2 and thats how many cards ull need. y do u need so many displays kenny?

TNathe
05-14-2009, 07:33 AM
you need to install and use the control panel software specific to your Radeon card. Windows allows you to "extend" the desktop to other monitors. But for controlling each specific monitors background you need to use the manufacturers software.

LeftNutOfGowd
05-14-2009, 08:20 AM
i would check the display setting option but not the one on the operating system but the one on the the card you know the one that you have to install when you installed the card

Future240
05-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Kind of off topic, but I have always wondered what exactly is the point of dual monitor setups? I am not trying to be assholeish I just don't get it.

TNathe
05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
VERY useful for multitasking. You can run a game on one monitor and surf on the other. At work one monitor displays my work environment, the other my email and web browser.

r6_240sx
05-14-2009, 10:02 AM
DisplayFusion: Multi-Monitor Taskbar and Desktop Wallpaper | Binary Fortress Software (http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/)

Trial version works just fine.

ryguy
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Kind of off topic, but I have always wondered what exactly is the point of dual monitor setups? I am not trying to be assholeish I just don't get it.

At work I often have to transfer info from the web to an excel/access document, or from one database to another, etc, and I pull up each database on a different monitor so that I don't constantly have to minimize/maximize.

neverrain
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Very useful for expanding desktop space. Like the others above, at work I have multiple programs open, firefox, text, IM, shell window. Keeping it all available in the front vastly improves the speed you can do things. My work computer (iMac) has a 22" monitor and a 24" monitor and I use every inch of it.

r6_240sx
05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Kind of off topic, but I have always wondered what exactly is the point of dual monitor setups? I am not trying to be assholeish I just don't get it.To watch pr0n on one and browse zilvia on the other.

Very useful for expanding desktop space. Like the others above, at work I have multiple programs open, firefox, text, IM, shell window. Keeping it all available in the front vastly improves the speed you can do things. My work computer (iMac) has a 22" monitor and a 24" monitor and I use every inch of it.That's what she said. :keke: