PDA

View Full Version : [Near Accident] How My Non-ABS 240sx Survived Death

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello Zilvians. My trip to work was far from the norm this lovely morning. I would like to start off by saying thanks to God for a chain of events that was executed perfectly in such a way that left me and my car unharmed.

This is my car...

http://tehl33tsite.com/240sxdd/cw/Img_1373.jpg

A 1990 240sx Hatchback w/ SR20DET.

Ok now for the story...

I'll try to make this short because I'm at work right now. About 15 minutes into my trip on the way to work a retarded driver I will forever deem as "the idiot".

I was heading westbound on a 2 lane road. I was in the left lane. There were cars behind me as well as cars to the side of me in the right lane, including the idiot. However, to the front of me there wasn't another car for a good 300ft or so. So naturally, I try to close to gap by down shifting and letting the turbocharger take effect. It was at this time, the idiot decides to get over from the right lane to make a u-turn through the median (with no turn signal, naturally), all as my car is gaining speed. The idiot realizes that another car is in the median waiting to perform a u-turn as well but that car was stopped in the median because of oncoming traffic in the other direction. So the idiot decides to park his car basically in its entirety in the left lane; yes folks, the same left lane that my turbocharged 240sx is traveling in at an increasing speed. I basically have no time to react and no where to go. I can't switch to the right lane real fast like I normally do to avoid accidents like this because there was a car next to me, so the only thing I could do was mash on my brakes. It was at this moment that my rear end began to slide out towards the right lane. I realized this and began turning my wheel to the left, and basically slid around idiot's car. I then quickly shifted into 1st gear and pretty much near floored it to get out of the way in time from the Ryder truck that was headed right for the rear of my car. All in all pretty exciting morning, could have ended a lot worse. A trip to the hospital for me, and my car's trip to the scrap yard. But that wasn't the case this morning :)

I'm hungry now.

Oh, here is an in depth illustration of said events:

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/475/almostaccident040209.gif

Teddy
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
That is exciting.

LeftNutOfGowd
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I like the sketch you did el oh el

YoungGun
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Ebrake dawg!!!

XeroX
04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
What does this have to do with ABS?

Its awesome you didnt wrap man! Most likely it would have been your fault (since you would have rear ended him).

PS good drivers dont need ABS :keke:

enkei2k
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
doriftoooooooooooooo

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
What does this have to do with ABS?

Its awesome you didnt wrap man! Most likely it would have been your fault (since you would have rear ended him).

PS good drivers dont need ABS :keke:

I said non-ABS, aka the skidding whipped my rear end out at an angle to avoid from smashing into this car. If I would of had ABS, I would have kept going straight, and most definitely smashed into this idiots car. And I would not have rear ended him, I would have pratically T-Boned his car because he was really that much into my lane.

XeroX
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I said non-ABS, aka the skidding whipped my rear end out at an angle to avoid from smashing into this car. If I would of had ABS, I would have kept going straight, and most definitely smashed into this idiots car. And I would not have rear ended him, I would have pratically T-Boned his car because he was really that much into my lane.

This thread just pooped on my head, i totally didnt read the subject right..lol :duh:

1slowS13
04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
What?!? Street drifting?!? Shame on you..

MandTPhotography
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Quick thinking is FTW.

There's been many a time that some crazy ass driving maneuvers have saved me from certain doom, haha.

Farzam
04-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Awesome that yer alive

Similar stuff happens to me on a weekly basis

the other day there was a car that cut me off...a mile up the road i change lanes to get in front of them and there was seriously at least 15ft between us (I could see the entire car AND THEN SOME out of my rear view), yet they honked at me, gave me the finger, and rode on my ass. At that point I notice it's 4 thuggish guys who each probably weigh triple what I do. "I saw a big animal on the road" so I slammed my brakes, and then turned into a McDonalds. They were for sure following me, so out of fear for my life I started doing hotlaps around the McDonalds and then cut back out onto the main road once I had enough space so that they could not figure out which direction I went. :eek3: crazy pplzzz

lflkajfj12123
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
TLDR

cliffs?

theicecreamdan
04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
yes folks, the same left lane that my turbocharged 240sx is traveling in at an increasing speed. I basically have no time to react and no where to go. I can't switch to the right lane real fast like I normally do to avoid accidents like this because there was a car next to me.

When you're in a situation where you've had to avoid accidents in the past, why would you be driving like that? Just chill out and go with traffic. Your description and illustration indicate that there were a LOT of cars around. Maybe you should think about how unpredictable people are.

Still good that you didn't crash.

C-unit
04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
You are lucky, good that you and your car didn't get hurt!!

Exactly same thing happen to me couple months ago, the only differences is that I couldn't do anything n I just T bone the car who is doing the U turn. Written off my DD but I walked out w/o a single scratch.

ravinaziankid
04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
There are some weird roads in FL. Why would their be a median to make U-turns in the middle of nowhere?

Well, that guy was retarded to just spontaneously decide to go into the left to make a U, but even if there was a 300ft gap, you should always drive with the flow of cars around you so you can avoid being in these type of situations.

Persona
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Did you used to park in the handicap parking outside of communications?

Used to see your car all the time walking to class, glad your ok.

DALAZ_68
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
so let me get this straight, you knew there was an idiot net to you, and another idiot infront of you, you decide to accelerate at one and never considered slowing down?

DCP94
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
lol its funny how everybody keeps pointing out everything you did wrong...yea you shouldn't have downshifted but that's not illegal the guy shouldn't have cut 2 lanes to bust a bitch..so glad your ok man

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
When you're in a situation where you've had to avoid accidents in the past, why would you be driving like that? Just chill out and go with traffic. Your description and illustration indicate that there were a LOT of cars around. Maybe you should think about how unpredictable people are.

Still good that you didn't crash.

Driving like what? I think I may have emphasized my acceleration a little too much. My car is only at stock 205hp and I downshifted and accelerated with the gas pedal about halfway down.

Did you used to park in the handicap parking outside of communications?

Used to see your car all the time walking to class, glad your ok.

Yes, I use that when I can't find parking elsewhere, which is usually always. :)

so let me get this straight, you knew there was an idiot net to you, and another idiot infront of you, you decide to accelerate at one and never considered slowing down?

No. I had no idea I was driving next to a moron that probably just got his license. I was minding my own business just enjoying my morning drive to work like I always do. And there was only one idiot, the one that went from the right lane all the way over to my lane to make a u-turn.

The only reason in my head that can explain why he did what he did is that he probably thought the person that was currently in the median would leave the spot and merge into traffic, so he could then take that cars spot, but when he noticed the car wasn't merging out, he had to stay parked behind it which was entirely in my lane.

los_inc
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
florida is filled with asshole drivers
consider you self lucky homie
-los

theicecreamdan
04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Driving like what? I think I may have emphasized my acceleration a little too much. My car is only at stock 205hp and I downshifted and accelerated with the gas pedal about halfway down.

Downshifting and accelerating when you should be trying to get yourself into a position with escape paths.

You can blame everybody else, and you can be right, but that doesn't mean anything when you're dealing with insurance companies and hospitals.

If you've had close calls in situations like that before then you should know what to look out for.

I'm not saying you were driving like an idiot, but you could have avoided even being in a situation that required a fast, and lucky reaction.

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Downshifting and accelerating when you should be trying to get yourself into a position with escape paths.

You can blame everybody else, and you can be right, but that doesn't mean anything when you're dealing with insurance companies and hospitals.

If you've had close calls in situations like that before then you should know what to look out for.

I'm not saying you were driving like an idiot, but you could have avoided even being in a situation that required a fast, and lucky reaction.

I understand what you are saying but let me elaborate more on the time line of events that occurred... When I had downshifted to gain speed, the idiot had not yet cut out in front of me, he was still traveling in his right lane like any other normal person in that lane. He then drastically, without reason decides to cut over (without a signal) and then park his car in my lane.

I avoid situations like this all the time, but I'm always given a little more time to make the right decision, but in this case, he cut over out of nowhere and completely caught me off guard.

ericcastro
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
why would you be driving like that? Just chill out and go with traffic. Your description and illustration indicate that there were a LOT of cars around. Maybe you should think about how unpredictable people are.

you decide to accelerate at one and never considered slowing down?

I understand what you are saying but let me elaborate more on the time line of events that occurred... When I had downshifted to gain speed, the idiot had not yet cut out in front of me, he was still traveling in his right lane like any other normal person in that lane. He then drastically, without reason decides to cut over (without a signal) and then park his car in my lane.

I avoid situations like this all the time, but I'm always given a little more time to make the right decision, but in this case, he cut over out of nowhere and completely caught me off guard.

You make no fucking sense!!!

Somehow, the Idiot could come to a stop in your lane but you couldnt and had to skid all to hell and back to avoid him???

WTF??

Lets be honest.

You were going well over the speed limit.
Just because you have no cars in front of you doesnt mean you need to floor it.
Downshifting, even at half throttle in boost will rocket you forwards compared to traffic around you.
205 HP is not stock on an american 240sx.
having ABS, you would have been able to avoid or stop in time.
Everyone is confused how at full brake lock you were able to "steer" around the car. (with ABS, you can steer a bit BTW).

So the guy needed to take a left at the intersection and someone was there. He's second, so i imagine he's gonna wait his turn instead of go the next mile or blocks and do the Uturn. right or wrong, thats how Highway uturns work in every state I have visited.

and again.
The idiot in front of you was able to take his car from the speed of the posted speed limit/traffic, down to a complete stop without having to almost get into a multi car accident like yourself.

Fucking slow down in traffic Nick Hogan.!!!!

^yeah, completely inappropriate, but fuck it, Florida is Florida and I said it.

On a side note.
Im glad your Ok and avoided the accident.
Insurence would just total out your 240.
A modified engine in a bad accident could have resulted in a bit more trouble than you think.

No need to respond, I dont feel like multi quoting anyone to death today.

blasting_speed
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
He was probably expecting you to hit him to collect insurance. Shit is tough right now, and that's easy money.

I'm glad you're safe and everything went well for you. Now you can buy a round since you're still alive.

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 07:01 PM
@ericcastro,

I was going 55mph, and the speed limit on the road I was on is 50mph. I would also like to inform you that my turbo seals (or something turbo related, not too sure yet) are shot and my turbo does not spool up like it should. I was just starting to accelerate when all this happened so I didn't gain much speed before I had to brake quickly.

I don't drive like a douche. I drive like the enthusiast that I am.

Thanks for the reply.

ericcastro
04-02-2009, 07:06 PM
He still was able to get infront of you and slow to a stop without skidding......................

you should just send me your turbo, you prolly need a new one. i can send you stickers in exchange for you covering the shipping cost.
maybe some coupons too.

sound like a good deal??

KiLLeR2001
04-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Actually he was already in front of me, and he stopped very harshly as well, but forget about the technicalities. IM ALIVE!!!

undesiredshoe
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I think you should be the next drift king

qwikspool
04-02-2009, 09:14 PM
thats good you got out of it safe. i hate it when drivers do that type of driving.

jyon9689
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, look at all of the preachers in here. You all seem so sure of what actually happened, it's almost like you were there. What, were you all carpooling in "the idiot" car that morning?:keke:

If times get tough, I'm sure you wiseguys could land great jobs as accident investigators.

ericcastro
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Actually he was already in front of me, and he stopped very harshly as well, but forget about the technicalities. IM ALIVE!!!
and so is your car!!

But that still doesnt answer my question about trading your failing turbo for a couple hello kitty stickers??

I think you should be the next drift king
Sorry, theres about 500 18 year old kids here in CA with primer black SR powered hatches on stock suspension going for that tittle. A couple of them even have sil80's.

Wow, look at all of the preachers in here. You all seem so sure of what actually happened, it's almost like you were there. What, were you all carpooling in "the idiot" car that morning?:keke:

If times get tough, I'm sure you wiseguys could land great jobs as accident investigators.
Times are tough, so I will keep my weekly visits to the sperm bank and the plasma dontation place.

im always so light headed lately.........

Think we are all basically saying, drive the speed limit and you wouldnt have had such a closecall. thats all.
We are all happy that him and his car are safe as well as the other drivers.

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
@ericcastro,

I was going 55mph, and the speed limit on the road I was on is 50mph.
I don't drive like a douche. I drive like the enthusiast that I am.

your still speeding, going over the speed limit, who knows, maybe if you werent going those 5 extra miles you could have stopped sooner and risked ur life...

so nothing in ur head told you slow down and put 2 cars + distance between you?

no one here is wishing you died, its just cmon, pay more attention to your surroundings, follow the rules and u should be fine, like castro said, 205 hp 240 is not stock, and yes u can be fined heavily wiht an illegal motor even if it isnt your fault...just be carefull

ericcastro
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
so nothing in ur head told you slow down and put 2 cars + distance between you?

its one car distance for every 10mph of speed iirc.

shit Steve, imma have to fail you and take your license and car ;)

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 10:16 AM
its one car distance for every 10mph of speed iirc.

shit Steve, imma have to fail you and take your license and car ;)

i always try and due 2 car distances +...:wavey: im safer that way and have more time to react...

!Zar!
04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Wtf OP is in Fail Florida? Enough said really.

But I'll go on. Eric Castro pretty much summed it up.

WHY did you have to be so evasive moving around him?

I've been driving for eons and didn't feel the need to gymkhana my way out of a bad car accident.

And htf did you shift into FIRST while moving at some speed?

Choosing the letter, " I = idiot " just makes me think of you as the X factor in this story. Not trying to be mean. Just saying you chose the wrong letter.

But anywho, down to some interests of mine.

We have established that you are on a two lane road.

We can assume that the speed limit is infact 50. My guess is a road like that would be more so 40, but you live in fail Florida so I'll go with you on in this one.

You are going more or less the speed limit.

Ahead you see a car stopped in the median; not in your way.

Truck a couple car lengths ahead on the right lane cut you off came to a complete stop behind the median car.

My question is, unless he did some crazy emergency braking to stop and make a U turn, much like yourself, htf did you get in this situation?

The truck had to have been going much slower than the speed limit and already on the brakes.

That should have given you more than enough time to brake safely.

With that, I suggest you gain the skill of threshold braking. Because even with ABS cars, it rarely activates when I need to stop hastefully.

KiLLeR2001
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Wtf OP is in Fail Florida? Enough said really.

But I'll go on. Eric Castro pretty much summed it up.

WHY did you have to be so evasive moving around him?

I've been driving for eons and didn't feel the need to gymkhana my way out of a bad car accident.

And htf did you shift into FIRST while moving at some speed?

Choosing the letter, " I = idiot " just makes me think of you as the X factor in this story. Not trying to be mean. Just saying you chose the wrong letter.

But anywho, down to some interests of mine.

We have established that you are on a two lane road.

We can assume that the speed limit is infact 50. My guess is a road like that would be more so 40, but you live in fail Florida so I'll go with you on in this one.

You are going more or less the speed limit.

Ahead you see a car stopped in the median; not in your way.

Truck a couple car lengths ahead on the right lane cut you off came to a complete stop behind the median car.

My question is, unless he did some crazy emergency braking to stop and make a U turn, much like yourself, htf did you get in this situation?

The truck had to have been going much slower than the speed limit and already on the brakes.

That should have given you more than enough time to brake safely.

With that, I suggest you gain the skill of threshold braking. Because even with ABS cars, it rarely activates when I need to stop hastefully.

I'm not sure why I'm trying to argue my point here because you assume the manner in which this person crossed over was not as severe as it was. My car going sideways was not part of my plan by any means. He literally crossed over and stopped in my lane so quickly all I could do was apply my brakes and hope for the best, there was absolutely no time.

Picture it clearly. I was driving in my lane, he crosses over and stops in my lane, he does this maneuver out of absolutely nowhere, at this point I went from having 300ft in front of me of the next car to about 30ft from his car, a car that was dead stopped in my lane. After I applied the brakes (obviously beyond the threshold because of my panic'd state) my car started skidding forward, and then the rear began to kick out to the right lane. In the right lane there was a car in front of this happening and the ryder truck approaching my car. When I shifted into 1st my car was pretty much almost at a stop as it was, all it was doing was sliding, it was by no means a drift maneuver.

!Zar!
04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
So the dude used his ABS and swerved in front to where he made a complete stop in front of you and you didn't notice any of this until it was too late?

He was 300 feet away?

If you are traveling 50MPH, then 50/60(5280)/60seconds=73.33 feet per second

So he's about 4 seconds ahead assuming you are both going the same speed.

He had to have started braking heavily at some point and turned into your lane.

I'm not arguing with you.

Simple debate from the other side.

KiLLeR2001
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Noooo. The 300ft distance is a rough estimate of the clear gap I had from me to the next car in the LEFT LANE. This has nothing to do with the cars in the right lane, which is where the guy was before he made his drastic change of lanes. When I noticed his change, I immediately thought of turning into the right lane to avoid contact, but there was a car next to me so I could not, thus I applied brakes hard. By the time I started skidding, with the eventual sliding of the rear end, the car that was next to me had gone further ahead which allowed enough gap for my car to enter the right lane without contact. As far as how close or what was going on with the ryder truck behind me, I am unclear of because I never looked back.

edit: There was also a car behind me in the left lane, and if I would have managed to stop in time before hitting the idiot's car. I know that the person behind me would have smashed into me because he was not that far away from my car. My car sliding out of the left lane probably gave him enough distance to make a successful stop.

DALAZ_68
04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
So the dude used his ABS and swerved in front to where he made a complete stop in front of you and you didn't notice any of this until it was too late?

He was 300 feet away?

If you are traveling 50MPH, then 50/60(5280)/60seconds=73.33 feet per second

So he's about 4 seconds ahead assuming you are both going the same speed.

He had to have started braking heavily at some point and turned into your lane.

I'm not arguing with you.

Simple debate from the other side.

thats all im asking,

like i said im not wishing you did get hurt, it just doesnt add up to me...

KiLLeR2001
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Sha-zaamm!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9600/almostaccident2.jpg

mrflip69
04-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Stop with the diagrams. These guys are too retarded to realize you just got your ass cut off in traffic. Big deal, welcome to the real world. Florida fail? Common, you guys are from California. California FAIL!!!!! Rudest shits in the world, and I'm probably one of them--on occasion ;)

Get off each other's nuts, and the op's nuts already. "Yeah you were speeding, huh huh, you shouldn't have downshifted, blah blah blah." Holy shit, it's a crime to accelerate to pass people or close in gaps now? Go drive a fucking GEO then and stay your ass in the slow lane.

Yeah, the op could've just bitched out and drove like 5mph and let the idiot do his thing. Whatever. No matter how alert you THINK you are, shit happens.

Op: my cousin was in this exact same situation. He wasn't so lucky, and he t-boned the guy in front of him. Somewhat luckily, I was following right behind him and was able to witness/file a report that the 'idiot' driver pulled a bitch out of nowhere. That ass drove off after all was said and done like it was my cousin's fault, but the court obviously sided with my cousin.

That's real funny calling the guys who run "primered SRs" and "sil80s" out. Didn't you just finish putting driftastic vinyl on your car? What's under your vinyl? Flat black? You've got this hot shit mentality because you go to track events. Get the fuck over yourself.

KiLLeR2001
04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Op: my cousin was in this exact same situation. He wasn't so lucky, and he t-boned the guy in front of him. Somewhat luckily, I was following right behind him and was able to witness/file a report that the 'idiot' driver pulled a bitch out of nowhere. That ass drove off after all was said and done like it was my cousin's fault, but the court obviously sided with my cousin.

Yeah. I've never been in a situation before where I absolutely had no other choice but to stop when I knew the distance was not sufficient enough to make the said stop. I felt completely helpless, and I'm just so glad my car was on auto-slide that day.

Thank you for your reply.

98s14inaz
04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I like the sketch you did el oh el

Seriously, where did he find that paper? It looks like a 4 grader drew that on that paper you practice cursive on lol

I LUV MY S13
04-05-2009, 02:17 PM
leave tha guy alone..he almost died ha

DreamN
04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Stop with the diagrams. These guys are too retarded to realize you just got your ass cut off in traffic. Big deal, welcome to the real world. Florida fail? Common, you guys are from California. California FAIL!!!!! Rudest shits in the world, and I'm probably one of them--on occasion ;)

Get off each other's nuts, and the op's nuts already. "Yeah you were speeding, huh huh, you shouldn't have downshifted, blah blah blah." Holy shit, it's a crime to accelerate to pass people or close in gaps now? Go drive a fucking GEO then and stay your ass in the slow lane.

Yeah, the op could've just bitched out and drove like 5mph and let the idiot do his thing. Whatever. No matter how alert you THINK you are, shit happens.

That's real funny calling the guys who run "primered SRs" and "sil80s" out. Didn't you just finish putting driftastic vinyl on your car? What's under your vinyl? Flat black? You've got this hot shit mentality because you go to track events. Get the fuck over yourself.

:bowrofl:

leave tha guy alone..he almost died ha

:ddog:

flip3d
04-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Gotta love Orlando drivers. I totaled my 05' Accord on 50 near Hiawasse. Now I drive an S13 :(

...and live in Missouri now :P

heavenskrow
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
as much as it was a bad part on the OP, i would of probably done the same...
sure even if the idiot did cut off the OP, the FUCKIN IDIOT STOPPED DEAD CENTER in the fast lane=i would never expect someone who cut me off on the left lane to suddenly stop.
so +1 for the OP