PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge trippin?

highly responsive
08-09-2008, 08:22 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4706/20080809101000197xk8.jpg

I noticed this last night, I went to walmart to get a new key cut, and when I came back to my car, this started happening with the new key. Of course, I was like WTF - so I turned the car off and started her up with the old key - temp and gas gauge went back to normal.

This morning, I started my car and let it warm up, and my gauges were normal (normal being temp @ halfway mark and my gas is EMPTY)
I drive about a mile out and the temp gauge starts creeping up again, same with my gas gauge. So I pulled over to take this picture.

Also, my car isnt actually overheating either. What do I do?? :/

fliprayzin240sx
08-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Water temp sensor took a crap?

Mister.E
08-10-2008, 04:45 AM
^ sounds like the problem, try replacing the sensor and see what happens

S13SilviaGirl
08-10-2008, 06:16 AM
uhmmmm one of the following:

A) Call in an exorcist
B) Sell the car
C) Burn the car
D) All the above

Just so you know, I kid I kid.... :keke:

highly responsive
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Water temp sensor took a crap?

^ sounds like the problem, try replacing the sensor and see what happens

thanks. is there a writeup on how to install the water temp sensor?

highly responsive
08-10-2008, 10:43 AM
er, forgot to mention im KAE :/

blueshark123
08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
its on top of the upper water neck it simple to replace just look at where it is

g6civcx
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Before we get into this,

my car isnt actually overheating

What basis do you have for this conclusion?

highly responsive
08-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Before we get into this,

What basis do you have for this conclusion?

been runnin around all weekend, no crazy steam billowing from under my hood. the coolant level in my radiator hasnt dropped at all.

highly responsive
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
its on top of the upper water neck it simple to replace just look at where it is

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/nosinstall/Image4.jpg

found this pic on google images... could you be a little more specific as to where that might be?

jdm510
08-11-2008, 03:55 AM
i have a s13 (heads up display) my gauges do the same thing then i tap the gauge cluster a few times and it goes right back try that next time

highly responsive
08-11-2008, 08:10 AM
i have a s13 (heads up display) my gauges do the same thing then i tap the gauge cluster a few times and it goes right back try that next time

hey man, funny you say that. because now when i turn on my headlights, my cluster goes black. speedo goes black, tach/temp/fuel gauges all go dead. the only things that work are my brake/engine/seat belt/etc lights. so im beginning to think its a prob with my cluster instead.

sbc
08-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Look at where your upper radiator hose connects to the engine.

On the aluminum part (upper neck) there should be 2 sensors.

One will be an actual plug with two (i believe?) wires. This goes to the ECU I think and is not what you are looking for.

Right next to it there is another sensor with just a terminal that the harness connects to similar to what you would find on your starter. Replace this.

My friend had this same problem on his Z32 and I fixed it today with the sensor from my old KA.

g6civcx
08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
been runnin around all weekend, no crazy steam billowing from under my hood. the coolant level in my radiator hasnt dropped at all.

Not good enough. You need a thermostat to measure water temp.

Otherwise you're just guessing. You may be overheating and not know it.

singlecamslam
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
looks like your check engine light is tripping too? I kid, but anywas bleed the system? maybe some air got in causing your gauge to read off like that. Mine did that and didnt actually over heat and i had a thermostat measure put to the block and head and read fine with the gauge way into the red.

highly responsive
08-20-2008, 02:42 PM
cluster issue has been fixed.

the solution?

......wait for it

THE BLACK PLUG TO THE HARNESS MYSTERIOUSLY DETACHED ITSELF. PLUGGED THE DAMN THING BACK IN, AND BAM, I CAN NOW OPERATE AT NIGHTTIME.

what a shitty solution, right?

also, fixed my check engine light by getting my cruise control back in effect.

mods, lock this up, thx