PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Suggestions

Baka Sama
04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Well Im finally gonna crack down and learn to play. For those that play out there would you suggest acoustic or electric for a beginner? Also what books,videos, or or DVD's are best for learning?

Im thinking about a Squier Fat Stratocaster.
http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/0/g/tpss.jpg

Wahl 136
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Well Im finally gonna crack down and learn to play. For those that play out there would you suggest acoustic or electric for a beginner? Also what books,videos, or or DVD's are best for learning?

Im thinking about a Squier Fat Stratocaster.
http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/0/g/tpss.jpg

I played for a short time and I found that it was easier to play with an acoustic to learn. Just because it was easier to hold on to. I suppose since you have never played it wouldn't matter.

Instead of videos/books I would try and find someone that knows how to play and can show you the ropes or pay for a few lessons. Half the battle is learning the fretes and finger contorsion. Then once you can grasp reading taps you can teach yourself with some practice and a lot of patience.

chmercer
04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
^^^ i would disagree, id say electric is hella easier to start on. easier to get a good sound out of it and the strings are a lot easier to deal with as well. i had a 50 dollar ebay guitar and i have like a 400 dollar one too with good pickups and all that. sounds more or less the same (when i am playing haha) so just get whatever cheapest thing you can find to start with.

get a good amp though! huge difference between nice amp and crap amp in terms of beginner sound quality

Farzam
04-20-2007, 04:37 PM
What kinda shit do you wanna play?

I love Fender basses...but for a beginner guitar, get a Epiphone Les Paul 100.

Get a small combo amp...then when you wanna be ballin, upgrade.

Wahl 136
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
get a good amp though! huge difference between nice amp and crap amp in terms of beginner sound quality

10000% agree. Everything will sound like dog crap if you don't have a descent amp. Your best bet is go to a music store and hold and feel how each sit in your lap or how comfortable it is for you. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

ALTRNTV
04-20-2007, 04:46 PM
What kinda shit do you wanna play?You wanna play rock, metal, r&b, easy listening?

I'm an r&b guy, so I have a Yamaha acoustic.

Farzam
04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Epiphone Les Paul is a great beginner guitar that can really do anything.

I can play punk, hardcore, emo, noise rock, metal, whatever with it.

But I only play hardcore...hah. I suck at guitar, which is why I stick to bass.

TheSquidd
04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Zilvia read my damn mind.

I'm starting guitar.

....I'm gonna get a flying V.

If you're gonna suck , at least look cool.

DragonUSMC
04-20-2007, 05:15 PM
+1 with the electric. I've been playing for 20 years now and i started on electric. Eventually I got a few acoustics, which will help you become more accurate and help strengthen your fingers naturally.

But if you want to rock out then dont waste time with an acoustic for your first rig. spend like $200 on your guitar and it will last you a good time and you will be happy for awhile. ESP, Fender, BC Rich, Ibanez, Gibson, hell even Gretsch makes an intro guitar now and the list goes on and on. www.musiciansfriend.com Go there, check out their clearance section, get a decent guitar with a nic in it for half the price.

But i really agree, get a decent amp... I just bought my dad a little Line 6 Spyder 3 for like $200, he hasnt played electric since he was 20 somthing. Crate makes a modeling amp for cheap too... get at least 30watt... you'll want it.

chmercer
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Zilvia read my damn mind.

I'm starting guitar.

....I'm gonna get a flying V.

If you're gonna suck , at least look cool.

my first guitar was a clear acrylic flying v. it was a million pounds and the bridge ripped out so i had to bolt it on with home depot bolts.

METAL

s13rookie
04-20-2007, 06:51 PM
just get the guitar that comes with guitar hero!

just get a cheap ibanez and a decent amp

Baka Sama
04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
What kinda shit do you wanna play?

Good question. I love all kinds of music and music styles so I might do a little of everything. For right now rock is what Im going for. Thanks for the suggestions. Im gonna write them down and see how they feel at the store. I should be able to find something nice for around 200.

buku_points
04-20-2007, 08:22 PM
if your gonna start playing do not buy a cheap guitar, youll regret it when you get better, buy a either a fender fat strat or a jackson,something with good pick-ups and a decent maple wood or rosewood neck. as far as amps get a fender or marshall amp something around 20-50 amps and a good distorion pedal. my set up is a custom made charvel w/ semore duncan pick-ups a 50 watt fender automatic amp and a metal zone pedal.but good luck and have fun!

cheap_sticker05
04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Get a Fender, or a Gibson. Fenders are less expensive and hold their value. I have had my Fender American P-Bass now for a long time and have never had any problems. Fender guitars are great too. Definately don't go cheap on an amp , I did and regreted it everyday until I got my Ampeg. A good amp can make or break your sound completely.

fromxtor
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I started out w/ a peavy fury, but am currently playing a Musicman stingray:
http://www.music-town.de/onlineshop/bilder/bass/musicman_stingray4_3eqbk.jpg
http://carolinanissans.com/images/playinurbass.jpg
^^ This actually is my cat. :keke:

I also have a cheaper electric acoustic bass.

Phlip
04-20-2007, 08:49 PM
funny people, guitars...
I'm a hip hopper, I'm working in this corner:
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1402/workstationxb9.jpg
... the little Sony computer speakers got shitcanned for real monitors:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9795/monitorsnd0.jpg
... seated atop a box of liquid creativity there

Baka Sama
04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
funny people, guitars...
I'm a hip hopper, I'm working in this corner

Real Hip hoppers play instruments too. Just look at the roots. Ive always wanted to play and kept putting it off.

Phlip
04-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Real Hip hoppers play instruments too. Just look at the roots. Ive always wanted to play and kept putting it off.
I grew up playing drums, played since I was 10, but as a one-man army for what I am doing, it is easiest to work from my computer.

s13poop
04-21-2007, 02:24 PM
hands down squire or fender stratocaster my first guitar

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/50s-fender-strat.jpg

light and easy to play the fretboard is nice and sleek

you have your choice either of maple or redwood

thats what i learned to play with..

you can also buy a squire acoustic for $100 just bought one for my dad

after that i stepped up to a ibanez hallowbody from my squire but my friend dropped it and broke it in half :doh:

http://theguitarreview.com/images/af75d.jpg

so now i have a epiphone les paul custom

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/d537344fe0249436a84fa1c1e5c783c2.jpg

and i <3 it :keke:

chmercer
04-21-2007, 02:37 PM
http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/c1_hell_bch.jpg

i got this for like 400 off ebay

emg 81/85s, set neck, locking tuners, nice body contours, pretty light (like omg have you picked up a les paul? wtf) and totally awesome looking finish

i like schecter, good bang for your buck IMO. and looks cool. gibsons and stuff seem like you pay a lot for the name

i guess its mostly personal preference though, but i would check out the schecter c1 series

http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/c1_wht.jpg

thats like the normal c1, duncan design pickups and a bolt on neck and obviously the visual details arent as nice, but still got a nice fretboard and stuff, *pretty* good pickups, nice shape blah blah.

they are good for metal/rock type shit.

oh and my amp is a line6. its pretty cool has hella effects built in and it gets mad loud.

s13poop
04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
active pickups are fun

paired with line 6 you get that "zomg is that blood brothers song?" sound

line 6 has really good tone but it won't beat sound of a tube amp IMO :yum:

gorgasm
04-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Epiphone Les Paul is a great beginner guitar that can really do anything.

I can play punk, hardcore, emo, noise rock, metal, whatever with it.

But I only play hardcore...hah. I suck at guitar, which is why I stick to bass.

Les paul's are like $1300 atleast, i dont think a beginner wants to spend quite that much on a guitar, check out ibanez they've got a wide range of guitars for any budget, its a great first choice. but I agree with what was said before, you can have a $3000 guitar but shit amp = shit sound. Line 6 is garbage in my opinion, ive been through 2 of them. cool effects, thats about it. Go with Marshall or Engl if you can afford it.

I grew up playing drums, played since I was 10, but as a one-man army for what I am doing, it is easiest to work from my computer.

one man army is cooler when you can play drums, guitar & vocals, and lay the tracks together, not use some synthesizer to make your sound, wheres the soul in that?

s13gold
04-21-2007, 03:22 PM
its easiet on an acoustic.

Baka Sama
04-21-2007, 04:02 PM

Wanna join my band? The Zilvians. :rawk:

Thanks for all the suggestions, Im going down to guitar center this weekend.

Irukandji
04-21-2007, 04:05 PM
My first guitar was a Fender Strat.

The Squires come with shitty pickups, but if you can find used Fender pickups (including humbuckers) on ebay really cheap. I wouldn't think twice about getting a Strat for a first guitar... its a really simple design and can be played for most types of music.

My friend built his own guitar just using wood from Home Depot, and an abalone (sp?) shell he had lying around for the Fret marks. The materials weren't top notch, but it came out awesome... He ended painting the body with House of Kolor Chromaflare... anyway my point is, electronics are key. He ended up buying used pickups from a Les Paul, did his own wiring, and used the rest of the knobs, plugs etc from his old Squire Strat. Sounds sick

Also, if you have decent computer speakers and don't have a few bills to buy an amp, you should REALLY consider getting a Behringer V-Amp 2.
http://www.feedback.nl/images/cache/productafbeeldingen/behringer-vamp2_350_fffef1_75.jpg

I'm currently using that with my Logitech 5.1 speakers because I don't have space for my amp. It has all sorts of effects that can replace a lot of pedals... I highly recommend it.. especially at only around $100 on ebay.

Phlip
04-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Wanna join my band? The Zilvians. :rawk:

Thanks for all the suggestions, Im going down to guitar center this weekend.
Can't, I'm 350 miles away and one of my 2 trips to Atl this year was last weekend, the next is in 2 weeks.

Cool trick:
When you go into the guitar center, look to deal with the manager/supervisor over the dept you're purchasing in, ask for a price on an item, even if you know the price, then tell them you'd rather order online, saving tax and explaining that shipping is free anyway.
I got my M-Audio Axiom49 and StudipPro 3 Monitors like that, price was already better than anywhere else except Ebay, and that was not a chance I was willing to take on such items.

cheap_sticker05
04-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Can't, I'm 350 miles away and one of my 2 trips to Atl this year was last weekend, the next is in 2 weeks.

Cool trick:
When you go into the guitar center, look to deal with the manager/supervisor over the dept you're purchasing in, ask for a price on an item, even if you know the price, then tell them you'd rather order online, saving tax and explaining that shipping is free anyway.
I got my M-Audio Axiom49 and StudipPro 3 Monitors like that, price was already better than anywhere else except Ebay, and that was not a chance I was willing to take on such items.

You speak the total truth on this. I got my Musicman bass for lower than any other place when I dealt with the supervisor. Another time my friend got an Orange half stack( amazing sounding!!!) for 1500.00 out the door.

ls180sx
04-22-2007, 12:09 PM
I got my guitar for only $50
http://www.beststuff.com/images/articles/092006a.jpg

Farzam
04-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Cool trick:

I dont' want to offend you....

But I usually just say "can you play with the price?"

I got my Fender bass for $435 out the door that way....which is a DAMN GOOD DEAL.

http://a86.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01435/58/07/1435697085_l.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/Farzam/badass.jpg

Jon Michael
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Buy my brother's Dimebag Darrell Signature Washburn. It's the green and yellow one, not the more common blue lightning one.

I can ask him which pedals and gear are the best for beginners, too. He probably has over 50-some pedals and different amps and little recording studio stuff.

Baka Sama
04-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Buy my brother's Dimebag Darrell Signature Washburn. It's the green and yellow one, not the more common blue lightning one.

I can ask him which pedals and gear are the best for beginners, too. He probably has over 50-some pedals and different amps and little recording studio stuff.

How much?

Jon Michael
04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll ask him after work tomorrow, I know he was trying to sell it earlier last year.

Baka Sama
04-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Nah, not liking the X style. Maybe a nice amp though.

iwishiwas-all*
04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
hey bro, Im gonna have to dissagree with all of this electric love in this thread. For your first guitar, i would have to recommend you get an affordable acoustic.
Reasons:
calises (sp).
building up finger strength,
afordability,
need for ACTUAL skill
better to impress the lady friends with.

first, by playing with an acoustic for many weeks, you will build up calises and get many blisters. these may hurt for a bit, but they will make ur music sound better! when u build up hard skin on ur fingers, it gives a better ammount of pressure on the strings, making better contact with the frets and thus better sound on any guitar! the reason the electric will not do this is because the strings on those are softer.
Electrics for novice players mask horrible technique with general distortion and all those millions of peafdals out there. I have known many players who can rip a nice song out on electric, but when u ask them to play it on an acoustic it sounds like utter shit. this has to do with the finger strength u gain by playing an acoustic. once u gain dexterity , your move to electric heaven will be much quicker and your songs will sound better.
next, acoustics are generall ymore affordable. u should look into a washburn d10 or a nice fender acoustic as a first guitar. also u have no need to buy an amp, cables peadals and all that other shit u think could help you play better. remeber its the player not the instrument.

finally an acoustic is the best way to get some pussy, u can take it anywhere anytime. try it out lol.
p.s. please for the love of god learn to read music and know your scales, its crap that most guitar players dont know how to read music but play guitar on tabs and shit. that is like cheating urself out of being able to play much better than you are at the time.

ive played guitar for about 10 years so no im not a expert, but w/e just my two cents.

Jon Michael
04-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Ok, that's cool. I know it's a complete bitch to string, also.

Yeah, a nice amp really makes a huge difference. Both my dad and brother have been playing almost their entire lives, so our house is full of different amps. My dad will never buy anything cheap or not quality, and I can tell the difference when I've heard crappy amps.

drift freaq
04-22-2007, 09:48 PM
one man army is cooler when you can play drums, guitar & vocals, and lay the tracks together, not use some synthesizer to make your sound, wheres the soul in that?
How much background do you have in Music? Do you realize some of the hottest soul and R&B this planet has ever seen came straight out of synthesizers? Just look at some of Stevie Wonders hottest work. It was done on synths. I could list dozens of top artists that have made music that had soul with synthesizers and software. YOu have no clue whatsover.
Almost all the music composed for films is composed on synthesizer and then orchestrated with a classical orchestra.
Guess what I write music. I write drums, I write bass, I write guitar lines. I even compose scores for horns. my main instrument is Keyboards and I use Logic Audio on the Mac as do almost all the major composers. But wait I guess Hans Zimmer has no soul right? Oh because he composes his scores on synthesizer and then has a orchestra play it.
I am sorry, but unless you have the talent to actually do what you preach, you really have no place to talk in this department, and even then your lost in your conclusion.
Talent and soul are talent and soul. It does not matter what the music is composed on . If the composer has soul the music has soul. Regardless of the medium he choses to use to convey it. Be it 24 track analog studer decks. Pro Tools hard disk system. IZ radar.Adats, Mackie hard disk recorders, Akai Adam digital 8 track decks. Or Logic, Cubase, Nuendo,Cakewalk Sonar.

chmercer
04-22-2007, 09:52 PM
rob (gorgasm) could probably shred your face off, ibanez 7 string style. you cant step grampa.

drift freaq
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
rob (gorgasm) could probably shred your face off, ibanez 7 string style. you cant step grampa.

You know what charlie, you just stepped way out of your league here. You have no idea who I am. I can gurantee you I have worked with guitarists that Rob has worshipped.
I have written music he wishes he could write. You need to step back and just be grateful for what you have and shut the fuck up.

Jon Michael
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Who here knows of the band Siga Rose (sp???)? The lead singer plays his guitar with a bow, I thought that was pretty interesting. Haven't heard a lot of their songs, tho. So, I can't comment on the sound.

DragonUSMC
04-23-2007, 06:30 AM
hey bro, Im gonna have to dissagree with all of this electric love in this thread. For your first guitar, i would have to recommend you get an affordable acoustic.
Reasons:
calises (sp).
building up finger strength,
afordability,
need for ACTUAL skill
better to impress the lady friends with.

first, by playing with an acoustic .....ive played guitar for about 10 years so no im not a expert, but w/e just my two cents.

OK well again I’ve been playing for 20 years now. I'm not trying to sound like an ass but its going to come off that way...

Calluses - (yes my spelling is correct) can be developed on ANY guitar by getting thicker gauged strings. The acoustics you speak of giving you blisters because you have to "press" harder... that is because you bought a crap-tastic acoustic with horrible action and probably a warped neck. Go play a $3,000 – 6,000 acoustic guitar… you will notice the difference from the cheap hippy 14 fret nasty action acoustic. As much as I love my acoustic guitars, they are the ones where you CANNOT go cheap on, as they are not just a block of wood with electronics in it. They REQUIRE good craftsmanship for good sound.

Finger Strength – again thicker strings and add another tensioner spring.

Affordability – again a crap acoustic will sound like a cardboard box with strings… you need to be at LEAST in the $600-1000 range for an acoustic with decent tone.

Need for Actual skill – Apparently you’ve never head any fusion guitar players. I love how the hippies with their flower music always bring up accuracy and being able to “hide” behind distortion. That simply isn’t true. While some with a completely untrained ear will not notice simple finger misplacements (i.e. not fully depressing the string in the fret, etc.) Electrics are far more sensitive, especially on heavy distortion to ANY movement on the strings; therefore amplifying one’s mistakes and improper muting technique.

Impresses the ladies more – yeah… ok. But use a 12-string and play Stairway like every other chump in the world.

I do however completely agree with the learning to read music. It really will help you when and if you decide to progress with your playing to playing lead or even creating harmonic rhythm sections. It will greatly help you memorize the neck faster.

I’m no expert, I play for myself… I suggest you do the same. But again I suggest electric because you can get a good starter one for cheap, you will be able to make enough different sound types to keep you entertained and let you experiment. Finally if you don’t like it, you can easily sell it off. Where as if you take a cheap Acoustic to someone who actually plays they will say to throw it in the fireplace.

Farzam
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I've never picked up chicks from playing acoustic.

But I have had sex for playing metal.

So i'll stick to playing electric.

chmercer
04-23-2007, 07:13 AM
You know what charlie, you just stepped way out of your league here. You have no idea who I am. I can gurantee you I have worked with guitarists that Rob has worshipped.
I have written music he wishes he could write. You need to step back and just be grateful for what you have and shut the fuck up.

unless you are freddy mercury in disguise, i dont care. and even if you were i wouldnt be THAT impressed cause you would be taking it from dudes.

240trainee
04-23-2007, 07:40 AM
O
Calluses - (yes my spelling is correct) can be developed on ANY guitar by getting thicker gauged strings. The acoustics you speak of giving you blisters because you have to "press" harder... that is because you bought a crap-tastic acoustic with horrible action and probably a warped neck. Go play a $3,000 – 6,000 acoustic guitar… you will notice the difference from the cheap hippy 14 fret nasty action acoustic. As much as I love my acoustic guitars, they are the ones where you CANNOT go cheap on, as they are not just a block of wood with electronics in it. They REQUIRE good craftsmanship for good sound.

Yep, I have played Piano for probably 10 or so years now, and a couple years, decided I was going to play guitar. Not only do I have a really hard time transferring Piano Chord structure to guitar, but the cheap acoustic I had was almost impossible to play smoothly, lol, strings stand 1/4" off the neck in most places, lol. Fuck that.

chmercer
04-23-2007, 08:13 AM
^^^ yes. cheap accoustic needs work to set up or else the action is like the worst shit ever

iwishiwas-all*
04-23-2007, 02:18 PM
ok sp buy a decent acoustic like a martin or something, and Drangondude, deff not a hippie dipshit, it doesnt make u a hippie if ur learnin a instument right, and I am only implying that you purchase a acoustic to LEARN ON. I myself almost exclusively play my fender American Tele unless someone has a acoustic around to jam on. Im telling him what he should do to start.
walk before you can run guys, or I would hope.

s13poop
04-23-2007, 04:07 PM

:keke: :keke: :keke: :keke: :keke:

that was pretty lame

im tired of this "anything you can do i can do better attitude"

stick to the goddamn topic!

speedstar01
04-23-2007, 07:36 PM
id def recommend a fendor strat pack if you want to start playing guitar. it comes with everything to get you started (for only around $250-$275)

DragonUSMC
04-24-2007, 06:38 AM
ok sp buy a decent acoustic like a martin or something, and Drangondude, deff not a hippie dipshit, it doesnt make u a hippie if ur learnin a instument right, and I am only implying that you purchase a acoustic to LEARN ON. I myself almost exclusively play my fender American Tele unless someone has a acoustic around to jam on. Im telling him what he should do to start.
walk before you can run guys, or I would hope.

But yeah a decent martin, fender, or even an Ibanez acoustic is going to be $800. But how many people do you know who start playing and then stop. Simply because they cant make the sound they want, they get bored playing Marry had a little lamb from their Mel Bay music book (Mel Bay music books are probably still the best out there by the way)

yes a good acoustic will sound better then a cheapy electric with a decent beginner amp... but the key point is when they get bored and want to rock out the distortion and jump around and have fun, they cant. There is no "guitar hero" rock star... So they don’t have fun, loose interest and then their nice $800 acoustic sits in its case and rots for years and years.

The kid is young, if he was 30+ and wanted to learn to play, then I would suggest an acoustic. At that age you are more interested in learning and development, not jumping off your bed with an A power chord to a power slide see how fast you can make noise on your electric guitar.

I’m a professional snowboard instructor… so no I don’t teach guitar, but I do teach. The most important thing is to tune your lesson and to tune the gear to the student. I don’t teach my old guys to start jumping right away… I do however start making my younger kids and children start hopping on their boards ASAP… why? Because its fun that’s what they want to do… the older students want me to focus on techniques and theory. That is my underlining point... I love how acoustics sound, and i love the action on a good one... but is a newbie going to be able to tell the difference between crap sound and good sound when they first start? no... i think most wont.

sleepy_s13
04-25-2007, 02:34 AM
My first guitar was a squire it was cool when I first got it, but when you start playing more your gonna want a better guitar. If I were you i would get a fender strat or a Telecaster. they are two very nice guitars. Acoustics are nice too but they are a lil harder to learn with since they are bigger and the strings are thicker.

Dousan_PG
04-25-2007, 02:36 AM
i got a Jackson Dinky on ebay for 320
and i also got a Ibanez Hollowbody Artcore

good for different styles
i like them both
i shoud practice more but im really busy....er...lazy actually

my first guitar ever (like 7 years ago) was an Epiphone strat copy. did the job but i hated it when my brother got his epiphone les paul
damn.

Baka Sama
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM

Whoa whoa whoa buddy.... Just because I delight in pissing matches on the internet doesnt make me a little kid or an immature guitar hero wannabe. I dont see what my age has to do with any of this. Just because Im not over 30 that makes me a little kid? lol Sorry but Im paying for this with my own money and it will diffinatly not sit in the corner collecting dust. I dont live with my parents and I know the value of a dollar. If im going to play I want to learn the right way. Even if that means playing marry hand a little lamb until my fingers bleed.

I will be teaching myself so thanks for the advice on Mel Bay books/videos.

DragonUSMC
04-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Whoa whoa whoa buddy.... Just because I delight in pissing matches on the internet doesnt make me a little kid or an immature guitar hero wannabe. I dont see what my age has to do with any of this. Just because Im not over 30 that makes me a little kid? lol Sorry but Im paying for this with my own money and it will diffinatly not sit in the corner collecting dust. I dont live with my parents and I know the value of a dollar. If im going to play I want to learn the right way. Even if that means playing marry hand a little lamb until my fingers bleed.

I will be teaching myself so thanks for the advice on Mel Bay books/videos.

Wow... don’t get pissed because you didn’t understand my rhetoric.

You COMPLETELY missed the entire point I was making. That was an example of different mindsets. I was drawing parallels to each point by using examples from each extreme. No one is arguing over the internet with you, so chill out. Stop, SLOWLY re-read what I have written, THINK, and then retort.

I will give you a simple synopsis of what I said.

Electric = ability to mimic many different tones, acoustic, jazz, blues, rock, metal, etc. <- Because of this, more options therefore more fun. Cheaper starting cost for decent sound. Higher resale value (or easily sold at least) Can mimic all attributes of acoustic.

Acoustic = Great sound and tone, limited to only acoustic sounds and tones. Higher cost for decent entry. Less durable. Easily affected by humidity and temperature. Improper maint and storage will ruin instrument.

I hope that broke it down to a point where your quick reading and immediate assumptions will rationalize that it wasn’t an attack. Now get your panties out of a bunch.

DragonUSMC
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh and my last and final tip to you,

Learn your basic chord structure, scales (mainly Pentatonic and Major), picking, and bar chords. Then go take a month or two of lessons from your local music store or musical academy. What you learn from them in 2 month will take you hundreds of dollars in DVDs and a year to do on your own.

Baka Sama
04-25-2007, 01:30 PM
But yeah a decent martin, fender, or even an Ibanez acoustic is going to be $800. But how many people do you know who start playing and then stop. Simply because they cant make the sound they want, they get bored playing Marry had a little lamb from their Mel Bay music book (Mel Bay music books are probably still the best out there by the way)

yes a good acoustic will sound better then a cheapy electric with a decent beginner amp... but the key point is when they get bored and want to rock out the distortion and jump around and have fun, they cant. There is no "guitar hero" rock star... So they don’t have fun, loose interest and then their nice $800 acoustic sits in its case and rots for years and years.

The kid is young, if he was 30+ and wanted to learn to play, then I would suggest an acoustic. At that age you are more interested in learning and development, not jumping off your bed with an A power chord to a power slide see how fast you can make noise on your electric guitar.

I’m a professional snowboard instructor… so no I don’t teach guitar, but I do teach. The most important thing is to tune your lesson and to tune the gear to the student. I don’t teach my old guys to start jumping right away… I do however start making my younger kids and children start hopping on their boards ASAP… why? Because its fun that’s what they want to do… the older students want me to focus on techniques and theory. That is my underlining point... I love how acoustics sound, and i love the action on a good one... but is a newbie going to be able to tell the difference between crap sound and good sound when they first start? no... i think most wont.

First at no point during my reply was I upset and I am still not upset or angry. Emotion does not show very well over the internet.

Right here in your first post you said that I was a "kid" and because I was not over 30 you assumed that I was not into learning and development. Thus, saying that because Im not old Im more interested in "jumping off my bed with an A power chord to a power slide see how fast I can make noise on my electric guitar". I just replied to tell you that I am serious about playing not air guitaring to MTV's greatest hits. You link teaching someone to snowboard and teaching someone to play the guitar as though they were the same thing, which they are not. In your first post you basicly said that I should get an electric so I could play around with it and not loose interest as though I were a 5 year old kid with a new toy. If that was my goal then the title of this thread would be "Whats the best Electric guitar for your money" not whats the best to begin on.

Thanks for the advice on Electric v. Acoustic, but keep your sarcasm and assumptions to yourself.

Also I dont appreciate you Pm'ing me to tell me Im an ass. You dont know me and this is the first time you have ever replied to my post. I think you are the one who completely missed the point of my reply.

Thank you, -rep for you.

DragonUSMC
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
LMAO! Negative rep for me for handling things though PMs instead of on the boards… QQ some more. I didn’t know we went to the beach? Cause where else would you get sand in your clit from?

1. So are you telling me you are old? Because to me 23 is a kid. 30 is where you kinda start shifting a bit. 40ish not so much a kid.

2. So you’ve been playing guitar and teaching anything in general for a long time huh? Yes teaching snowboarding and teaching guitar have many of the same principals. But you know this already, that’s why you are asking for help on a car forum. So tell me, when you are in lecture, if you find the lecture boring, you pay ABSOLUTE attention because you are different then 99% of the people in the world? So if my snowboard lessons were boring, people would still learn and I would always have a captive audience? Yeah well your guitar is that teacher and you are the audience when learning to play, and if it doesn’t captivate you, you lose interest. So again you take something for immediate face value instead of actually trying to think.

And lastly, no I don’t know you and I don’t give a pretty flying fuck about you or who you are or what you stand for or anything. You wanted to know about learning to play and get different view points. Instead of reading and comprehending the basic rhetoric I was using, you fail to connect any form of what I was saying to any part of your situation. Instead you cry here rather then realizing someone was trying to help you; When your retort was loosely connected to any of MY posts… yet I get negative rep when you haven’t even begun to understand ANY parts of my posts.

iwishiwas-all*
04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
this is fucking hilarious, ill let u guys duke it out haha, good luck with ur guitar deal.