PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 mc's

180sExy
01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Sup everyone! I saw a couple of music threads on here an there are some people on here that are hip hop heads like me! So was just wondering who's on your 10 list of MC's!
1. Tupac(greatest of all time!)
2. Eminem(change the whole game when he came in.)
3. KRS-ONE(dont even need too smoke weed when you listen too his music!)
4. Talib Kweli(lyrics are amazing and uplifting!)
5. Mos Def(topics an lyrics are timeless an up lifting!)
6. NAS.(just straight up Timeless!illmatic!)
7. Big L(verbal murder on the mic! truly Harlem’s finest!)
8. Big Pun(first Latin rapper to go platinum!!!!!)
9. Rakaa a.k.a Iriscience(love his presence on stage an the mic!)
10.Rza(huge Wu-Tang fan!)

JesusFreakDrifter
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
you cannot put eminem second to tupac, eminem is genius in his oratory skills and rhyming skills however there are a lot of people that blow eminem out the water. Jay Z been got eminem for that spot. you got slick rick, i can't think of anymore right now but come on eminem has to be number 10 to all the guys on your list

180sExy
01-06-2007, 07:16 PM
1st off buddy its my top ten if i want too put Weird Al for "White and Nerdy" I can. 2nd how can i put Jay-Z in on 2nd???? Jay-Z WTF!!!! Slim fuckin kills it on Jay's song Renegade.3rd he is a lyirical master mind! When he came out he brought back the batteling to the music.he completly changed the game, and for that I give him my 2nd spot.

ranger2339
01-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Best ever

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/ranger2339/chris_rock_j_b_smoove_lance_crouthe.jpg

bamaboy
01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree with most of what you say about em.....but Jay-Z is king..in my opinion that is. And, I guess I just don't understand why everyone thinks Pun was so good. Oh well here goes.

1. Jay-Z(President Carter)
2. Tupac(Trend setter, fearless, more than a rapper a true artist)
3. Eminem(Brought hip hop back to the battle, amazing lyrics, progressing as a producer)
4. Redman and Methodman(only get my vote when they are together)
5. Nas(I respect him but I'm not a big fan)
6. Scarface(1st person from Houston making noise back in the 80s son!!!)
7. Outkast(any true Outkast fan knows why I vote them here)
8. Busta Rhymes(don't hate, nobody, I mean nobody puts on a better show than Busta!!)
9. Mos Def(I had to put him somewhere)
10. B.I.G.(I love him but I don't think he belongs near the top)

ALTRNTV
01-06-2007, 07:29 PM
1. Will Smith
2. Jim Jones
3. Nelly
4. Ja Rule
5. 50 Cent
6. Bow Wow
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Kevin Federline
9. P. Diddy
10. Ludacris

180sExy
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
10. Ludacris
lolz I know that whole list was a joke but Ludacris is a tight ass freestyler. just cause he's mainstream an did a corny ass cameo on 2fast 2furious dont think he lacks the abiltiy. he actually almost made my top 10.

ZenkitonS14
01-06-2007, 07:35 PM
1. Biggie
2. Eazy E
3. Jedi Mind Tricks
4. The Game
5. Danger Mouse
6. Deltron
7. Dre
8. Wu Tang
9. Atmosphere
10. Gang Starr

ALTRNTV
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
lolz I know that whole list was a joke
You don't like my list? Then you don't know hip-hop!

S14Josh
01-06-2007, 07:40 PM
As far as Emcee's go on my list

1. Nas
2. MF Doom
3. Guru
4. Murs
5. Mos Def
6. Talib kweli
7. Common
8. Ghostface
9. Big L
10. Boots Riley

ALTRNTV
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice list of underground artists. +1

180sExY- is the only "hip-hop" you listen to, on the radio?

kodama
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
1. apathy
2. celph titled
3. living legends (tied w/ sunspot jonz solo stuff)
4. deltron
5. jedi mind tricks
6. immortal technique
7. atmosphere
8. demigods
9. esoteric
10. oktober

i think 180sexy only listens to the radio ><. i cant stand that rap crap they play on the radio, its a disgrace to hiphop.

S14Josh
01-06-2007, 08:00 PM
This should be changed to top ten hip hop artists. I had to leave out a bunch of people since they are groups and not single emcees.

ALTRNTV
01-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Here's my "mainstream" list:

1. Tupac Shakur
2. Notorious BIG
3. Nas
4. Jay- Z
5. Rakim
6. Talib Kweli
7. KRS-ONE
8. Mos Def
9. Ice Cube
10. Method Man

Phlip
01-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Personally, I cannot file this list in order, because something could fall to the internet TOMORROW to change my opinion. So take it for what it is worth, knowing that it is about 9:30 EST on January 6, 2007

Tariq "Blackthought" Trotter - and for proof, listen to 3 songs, all on The Roots' albums:
Concerto of the Desperado, from the album "Illadelph Halflife,"
Quills, from "Phrenology"
Web, from "The Tipping Point"
... still not convinced? Well go back and listen to the albums from which above named songs were drawn from, then pay CLOSE attention to the fact that one is drawn into the ability to tell the story presented or make one feel that 'Riq is just as great as he tells one that he is. Now, come back at him with a reason that you can HONESTLY use to present that he is not.

Antonio "Big Daddy Kane" Hardy - Brooklynite turned North Carolinian, BDK has gone from "Raw" (and the stellar remix) to being able to rock right alongside the 21st century underground darlings Little Brother on "Welcome to Durham," and not at all seem to be almost 20 years Phonte and Pooh's senior. Need more proof? Ask any REAL lyricist in the game now or before, and Big Daddy Kane is INVARIABLY named as an influence.

Nasir bin Olu Dara "Nas" Jones - That dude that saves old-schoolers from having to look like pretentious old assholes, but allows young dudes to look like they know something of the past and present. MC Search and Large Professor's "failed" project turns classic and then lends itself to a 12+ year career. Classic albums? Yep... Commercial flops? See "Nastradamus" and "The Firm," but it could happen to the best.

William "Rakim" Griffin Jr. - (don't tell Freddie Foxxx about this choice) The fact is, that while Rakim has known NO success outside of the MC in front of Eric B's turntables (hell Eric hasn't either), there is NO denying his powerful influence on the game as we all know it right now. Actual rhyme patterns? Got it, started here. Not rhyming 30 minutes over a breakbeat in loop (AKA 'song structure)? Check. Look back to the story rhymes, hell throw in the bragging as well. We got that too. Lyricism, as presented to the public, begins here.

Shawn "Jay Z" Carter - Again, a case where success can undermine the very reasonings that one should be included on such a list, HOWEVER, the fact remains that one usually is only afforded the chance to oversell shitty product one time, if that one time happens early in a career. jay decided to get old and lazy, waiting 7 albums to do that to us. Fact remains, however, that we were all waiting in line to push the next to the next level. Hell, he even hit us with 2 CLASSICS after that. Again, one can claim ubersuccess as a reason to not be included on this list, but work ethic and an extremely efficient eye for detail gets him on mine.

"Talib Kweli" Greene - "Real name, no gimmicks!" Think back, at the height of being what he was, came the line "If skills sold, truth be told, then I would be/Lyrically Talib Kweli. Truthfully I want to rhyme like Common Sense..." The verse continued, but I won't. To get the blessing, as a "Backpack rapper," from one of the hugest sellers on planet earth, how could you NOT make my list. Fine, I explain further. Listen to ALL of the "Mos Def & Talib Kweli are BlackStar" album, listen to "Reflection Eternal," spend time listening to "Quality," you then realize that you are 3 and 3 quarters albums in before you realize that he has even missed on an EXTREMELY minor level. Hell, I knew all the words to all of them before I could BEGIN to acknowledge it.

Lonnie "Common" Rashid Lynn - See the end of line 1 of Kweli, just above. When you get done, check the love story to hip hop itself in "I used to love H.E.R." then back up one track and listen to "Resurrection" again. Fast forward a few more and listen to "Communism." Are you convinced yet? Deal with the inner struggle that couples being human, up to and including personal and moral shortcomings on your next album. Now, I want you to make an album ignored by the masses, but displaying no less of a razor sharp eye for the microphone, then one that alienates even your most loyal of fans. Meet up with the new wonderkid producer who learned from the individuals who helped you with the first 3 of your (now) 5 albums. Take it back to album #2 on the microphone, and gain fans in people who couldn't NAME your fist 3 albums, while gaining BACK those who could name all 5 as well as this one. ... Feel free to play ice cube out like a bitch in the meantime, as well.

Dante "Mos Def" Smith - Call it what you call it. I have personally seen Mos react to a room as it was taking place as if he had spent the previous month writing about it. I have seen him, a "rapper/actor" take an emmy, I have watched him release 2 albums that I found it IMPOSSIBLE to put down when released, 3 if you count the Blackstar album. I have witnessed another "backpack" rapper gain the respect of individuals who HONESTLY probably don't have the time or reasoning to give a bowl of bloody piss otherwise.

Tupac Amaru "Tupac" Shakur AND Christoper George Latore "The Notorious BIG" Wallace I cannot give these 2 individuals separate spots on this list, simply because they were so much into what made each other what they became. They also paved the way for every successful rapper to come after them, pre and posthumously... Factor in, again the ability to tell a story ("Juicy," "Brenda's got a baby"), self loathing introspectiveness, the "I love my mama for tempering me to rise above" and the "I died to motherfucking young" aesthetics of their lives and the only difference is that Tupac was so driven to record that his Modus Operandi was that he would record "a song a day," no matter where he was. On a lyrical/influence level, however, I hold them right on the same (VERY) parallel line.

... Yes, my discipleship of hip hop is THAT serious, come at me again when you feel the need to discuss anything else. I can talk about the underground artists named as well, but the fact of the matter remains that "MC" is "Master of Ceremonies," one of the criterion of which is the ability to master and control a crowd of individuals. The "crowd" is abstract, as a concept and can change as any one of you sees it to be, but remember, one of the things I often speak to is individual and subjective opinion, we can like what we like...
... I just happen to come equipped with good reasons why I do.

wheresthaboost?
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
wtf? no lil wayne? guess I have to bring in the new school opinion lol.. lil waynes def. at the top of the game as of now.. eminems fire although I prefer the pre-50 cent eminem.. nas is and always has been sick.. I used to like jay z alot but as of late hes iight.. to be honest I dont like tupac THAT much...

edit: mos def is sick and pun is lyrically crazy..

wootwoot
01-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I like sumitomo considerably even though some of tokico's stuff is nice as well.

180sExy
01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
1. apathy
2. celph titled
4. deltron
5. jedi mind tricks
6. immortal technique
7. atmosphere
8. demigods
9. esoteric
10. oktober

i think 180sexy only listens to the radio ><. i cant stand that rap crap they play on the radio, its a disgrace to hiphop.
lol i only listen to the radio???? sorry my friend wrong. I dont just listen to the radio. I just dont bump shit just cuz its underground.I dont have the need too feel diffrent and bump shit just cuz its not mainstream. I think living legends are garbage i cant stand anything about them, i probly herd them an saw them preform beforeu did. Jedi Mind tricks are tight as hell i love "uncommon valor, And remeber i am 26 most of the people i use to listen to we're underground. like jurassic 5,Roots,gang starr,mos def,talib,50cent(power of a dollar album)hyro,visionaries. I just stay true too what i like. and "Rap crap"????WTF is that? bad rap? Yeah buddy the media came out with that term. Like it or not there is no difference. Hip hop and rap is all one in the same.

ALTRNTV
01-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I like sumitomo considerably even though some of tokico's stuff is nice as well.
I like the Nabco ones as well.

Hip hop and rap is all one in the same.
That just proves my point of you not knowing much.

http://www.doitnow.org/pages/smack2.gif

Phlip
01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
1. apathy
2. celph titled
4. deltron
5. jedi mind tricks
6. immortal technique
7. atmosphere
8. demigods
9. esoteric
10. oktober

Now, as deeply involved with the underground as I personally am and the fact that have been in a now 2-week argument with my 16 year old cousin comparing Little Brother to Jody Breeze (of 'Boyz N Da Hood) in fundamental musical QUALITY, a conversation exposing some kids that he has known since he was in elementary school as agreeing with me, keeping in mind that they LIVE IN Atlanta, I just cannot agree with you.
The whole "underground because it ain't on the radio" is self-righteous, and downright fucking dumb. Yes, I own music from 7 of your 10, but the fact of the matter remains that the remaining three have remained so far out of my point of view that they happen to not matter, as one might relate it to the definition of what matters, making them a viable subject of this conversation.
Please, PLEASE rethink your point of view, or ESPECIALLY your approach.

180sExy
01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
That just proves my point of you not knowing much.
hip hop an rap whats the Difference????? explaine it too me oh wise one.

wheresthaboost?
01-06-2007, 08:41 PM

oh moma, not the "whats the difference between hip-hop and rap?" explanation again... :drama:

Phlip
01-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Let us think of this as the difference between a noun and a verb.
"Rap" - what one does to a beat, usually describable as an individual performing a musical presentation. Usually rhymes, standards include this presentation to be 16 bars (lines) at a time (a 'verse'), sometime (but not necessarily) broken by a 4 bar "hook."
Hip Hop - Taken at the bare essence as the lifestyle, including breaking (break dancing) rapping (see above) deejaying (get behind some turntables and learn) and graffiti (do this INSIDE your house nowadays, no shit). Those most in love with the culture know these facts. Those ignorant enough to NOT know assume these to mean the same things, yet the fact remains that those "rapping" (a verb) and those who love/create "hip hop" (a noun) are from different mind sets. As it were, one can easily become one from the other, but the line is easily straddled.
I claim no level of self-righteousness, yet I know and VERY much respect the difference. As an individual with VERY open ears, my computer owns music that I personally consider to be "hip hop" as well as what I consider to be "rap."
*however*
72 gigs of music makes room for the FACT that there is EVERY genre of music (no country, I SWEAR to it) on my computer.

BOROSUN
01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
NAS ####1
krs one
killah priest
ghostface
canibus
talibkwali
cmmon
supernatural
dmx
muhammad ali -from watching the documentary, his flow was unheard of back then and is still used today.

i dont care the about the order but nas is number 1 on mylist.

azndummie
01-06-2007, 09:34 PM
biggie
msglenth

staygold24
01-06-2007, 11:09 PM
PHLIP Niiiice list. Love talib. Haha and did 180sexy get this idea from a jin video?

HyperTek
01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
In no order

Tupac *his style and aggression is what I liked, not his new shit they jus making money off him, last 2 albums where just money greedy bitch record labels putting out crap, like having eminem produce one*
Qtip from tribe
Guru from Gangstarr (but his solo act I dont like soo much)
DJ quik (Prolly not really a top listing MC, but hey i like his laid back west coast flavor)

anyways.. i listen to alot of hiphop imo, but not die hard like some of you guys.. Those artist above I tend to buy albums, but alot of others I dont really buy ..

p11driver
01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
yo akademik how can u put 50 cent on that list?! pleeeeeaaassee
my top 10
-------
CANIBUS
APATHY
ESOTERIC
BIGGIE
BIG DADDY KANE
BIG L
RAKIM
VINNIE PAZ
JERU THE DAMAJA
LAST EMPEROR

gotta note chali tuna, epmd, gangstar, afu-ra, method, sinem silla and one be lo, jus allah, scram jones, smoov-e, count salaz, and snoop

bamaboy
01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I can't wait until I can spread rep again...this thread is getting it all

djkowai
01-07-2007, 01:17 AM
hmm lets see in no particular order

ghostface
mf doom
one be lo ( i really think the ways he rides beats are ridiculous)
p.o.s.
immortal technique
nas
kweli
quasimoto
kool keith

im tired and hungover but theres the ones that stand out in my mind.
a lot of you might not agree with these choices, but i probably look at music differently than others. I always think "what are they trying to achieve?"
I believe that for what all these mcs set out to do, dammit they definitely did it 110%. That and the fact that they are just boiling with creativity.

180sExy
01-07-2007, 01:30 AM
gotta note chali tuna
yeah he's tight as hell! I got a chance to talk too him before! really down too earth kinda guy!

woodchuck
01-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Let us think of this as the difference between a noun and a verb.
"Rap" - what one does to a beat, usually describable as an individual performing a musical presentation. Usually rhymes, standards include this presentation to be 16 bars (lines) at a time (a 'verse'), sometime (but not necessarily) broken by a 4 bar "hook."
Hip Hop - Taken at the bare essence as the lifestyle, including breaking (break dancing) rapping (see above) deejaying (get behind some turntables and learn) and graffiti (do this INSIDE your house nowadays, no shit). Those most in love with the culture know these facts. Those ignorant enough to NOT know assume these to mean the same things, yet the fact remains that those "rapping" (a verb) and those who love/create "hip hop" (a noun) are from different mind sets. As it were, one can easily become one from the other, but the line is easily straddled.
I claim no level of self-righteousness, yet I know and VERY much respect the difference. As an individual with VERY open ears, my computer owns music that I personally consider to be "hip hop" as well as what I consider to be "rap."...

very well put phlip. :)

djkowai - i totally agree with you about one be lo.

Thes One tops my list and he's a dope producer too! his remix to pete rock's back on tha block is insane.

Frixco_240
01-07-2007, 02:18 AM
bone thugz n harmony wen they were koo bak then. they still koo now, but ehh. bone thugz for sure.

bamaboy
01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
bone thugz n harmony wen they were koo bak then. they still koo now, but ehh. bone thugz for sure.

is it really cool to talk like this? I mean come on koo=cool.....fail

staygold24
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM
does anyone else kind of get tired of mf dooms monotone rap? I mean the lyrics are good but it sounds all flat after a while.

I also tend to like murs alot and people under the stairs I dont think theyre some of the greatest emcees but I have gotten to like to them over the last couple weeks and being in ga its hard to find music like that.

Cash
01-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Travis McCoy (aka Schleprock)

bribot
01-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Deltron
Prevail from swollen members
Slug
Casual
Souls of mischief

az_240
01-07-2007, 02:19 PM
1 Tupac
2 Biggie
3 Nas
4 Big L
5 Young Buck
6 Wu Tang - greatest group of all time
7 Bone Thugz
8 Andre Nickatina
9 Eazy E
10 Lil Wyte

Used to listen to the underground stuff a lot but I prefer the mainstream stuff.
Underground sounds too much alike

exitspeed
01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
1. Jay-Z
2. BIG
3. Nas
4. 2 Pac
5. Eminem

This is my shortlist. Jay-Z and Big are the only 2 on that list that I truely like to be honest. The others are on there just for what their careers were/are.

A Spec Products
01-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty much on the same page as Philip.

Except:

GZA Genius son!

No one can compare boyeeeeeeeeeiiii!

SRkouki
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
1. canibus
2. esoteric
3. biggie smalls
4. tupac
5. big l
6. apathy
7. esoteric
8. vinny paz
9. scram jones
10. rakim

EchoOfSilence
01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I love this thread. Immeasurably.

Much respect to PHLIP, I agree with every word you've said, and your list. Very mature and eclectic way to look at this topic

More to note: Afrika Bambaataa himself said that all forms of rap are a part of hip-hop as a whole. This touches on what PHLIP said, in that the act of rapping itself is a part of the universal culture of hip-hop, therefore all rapping is hiphop. Its audience, however is subjective as are their mindsets and outlooks on the other sub-branches. Dirty south, snap, the underground, the rest of the mainstream... hip hop. I was hard for me to swallow when JessFX told me... but it makes sense. taste is subjective, and how much it honors the the culture and past is all on a spectrum, but nevertheless it's hiphop.

as an MC....
#1 - Percee P. cop his shit. please.
the rest of the list is really really hard to organize. besides, it agrees with most of the people that have been listed.

woodchuck
01-07-2007, 11:02 PM
... but I prefer the mainstream stuff.

:keke:

well, the same can be said about the inverse. to each his own....

does anyone else kind of get tired of mf dooms monotone rap? I mean the lyrics are good but it sounds all flat after a while.

I sorta get tired of it, but not as much as his beats. i would like to hear less loop button on his samples. don't get me wrong, he's made some dope beats....but way too simple for my taste. for a comparison listen to an mf doom beat and compare it to the complexity of a dj young einstein beat.

djkowai
01-08-2007, 01:05 AM
i could never get tired of dooms rap. Dude is crazy on beats, and ridiculous live. Its also really interesting if you look at viktor vaughn for example, doom completely changes his attitude on the mic..dude is super talented in my opinion but maybe i'm just jocking him too hard haha who knows.
and yeah wu tang is the greatest collection of that many people period.

JDMark
01-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Mf doom does sound like a drunk fat dude sometimes haha but ive yet to get tired of it, maybe because the beats are so awesome. I especially like his King geedorah album, sounds so good. Im pretty new to rap but heres some other favs of mine
-Pharcyde
-Big L (The Heist)
-Madlib, quas
-bone thugs
-b.i.g.
I dont think ive listened to a broad enough spectrum of rap to make a top 10

SimpleSexy180
01-08-2007, 01:47 AM
haha...

Mos Def
MF Doom
Murs
Slug
Common

Short list..but im picky.

Used to listen to the underground stuff a lot but I prefer the mainstream stuff.

............lucky you are a premie...

PBucch
01-08-2007, 07:46 AM
So much pretentious junk in here im gonna barf I think!

anyways.

Gary "GZA" Grice >all

woodchuck
01-08-2007, 10:49 AM
lets up the ante - post your favorite verse/freestyle by your number 1 rated mc. maybe that can justify why you have them at the top of your list.

BC240
01-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Quick list:

Tupac
Eminem
Common
Mos Def
Gang Starr
Afu Ra
Q-Tip
Rakim
Xzibit
Nas

Too many to list

exitspeed
01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
lets up the ante - post your favorite verse/freestyle by your number 1 rated mc. maybe that can justify why you have them at the top of your list.

oh man there's so many by Jay-Z, I don't know were to being.

Here's a start though.

"you draw, better be picasso, y'know the best
cause if this is not so, ah, god bless
you leave me no choice, i leave you no voice
believe me son i hate to do it just as bad as you hate to see it done
now calm your boys,
cause i'm findin it a little hard to concentrate with all the noise
get the point, i'll let ya go,
before ya leave,i guess i aughta let you know, i need those keys
and promise you never, no matter the weather
evaevaevaevaevaevaevaevaeva come around here no mo' "

s13poop
01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
aiite here's mine

i'll spit them quick in no particular order

1. Guru
2. The Game aka chuck taylor aka the doctors advocate
3. Hova the god jigga man himself Jay-z
4. the grouch
5. slick rick
6. KRS ONE
7. GZA genious
8. SLUG
9. SN DOUBLE O P D OL' DOUBLE G
10. Immortal technique

gahh too many to list hahaha

woodchuck
01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
aight, i'm upping the ante now.

based purely on lyrics alone, here is a small sample of why J-Live tops my list:

"What does it take"

"to be a great"

"MC"

If you ask me, it's much more than Master of Ceremonies
Because a lot of Masquerading Cornballs
Don't realize it also means Mad Creativity
In this day and age of mediocrity
There's two types of rappers that you'll recognize and hear
But I prefer the ones with the lyrics of the year
Than the gimmick with the gear and the right puppeteer
Now you can be the next Rahkim Shakespear
you're still 10 steps away from having a career
You step up the plate to earn respect from your peers
And end up on deck for the remainder of your years
I suppose this means greatness takes blood, sweat, and tears
It also takes an industry that doesn't breed fear
Or pumping all this mindless crap up in your ears
And limitting the contrast of what you get to hear
You got to recognize it's a determined idea
A righteous young mind is a devil's worst fear
But when you wanna give the people peace and satisfaction
Everybody's mama wants a piece of the action
So now I fall victim to supply and demand
Immaculate conceptions, born illegitimate
Destined to be the greatest story ever missed
Which means its meant to be for whoever's hearing this

Gnnr
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty much on the same page as Philip.

Except:

GZA Genius son!

No one can compare boyeeeeeeeeeiiii!

It ain't no Hip Hop thread if Logan don't post son!

10. Ludacris

Aww, c'mon. I know he's sooo mainstream, but don't dismiss him entirely. I'll admit lately his stuff sucks compared to his first two albums (Back for the First Time/Word of Mouth). After those two, it just sounded like he really didn't put in any effort and was just trying to make a quick buck. Haven't heard his latest release though. Give this track a listen:

http://profile.imeem.com/_K5FPH/music/aFavK_MC/hip_hop_quotables/?ct=yJb7wE

I love this thread. Immeasurably.

Werd.

From the South
Andre ICE COLD 3000
Big Boi
Scarface
Ludacris (Back for the First Time/Word of Mouth)
Bun B

The few the south has. Anyways, I'll come back and post more from other regions. Its harder to decide from the east coast stuff.

Brian
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
MCs....

The MC Bat Commander.

go ahead and google him.

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
From the South
Andre ICE COLD 3000
Big Boi
Scarface
Ludacris (Back for the First Time/Word of Mouth)
Bun B

ANDRE 3000, by FAR the top MC.

Even NAS said that in his top 3 mc, he said one of them was 3000.

If you've heard Andre's verse in Unk's Walk It Out Remix, then you'll understand why.

Or, take a step back in time and ride out to Outkast's first album Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik. That was some GANGSTER shit man.

I also agree with that list, although the term "MC" differs a bit when you refer to the south.

Out of that list I think the most lyrically "genius" would have to be 3000 or Luda.

Scarface and Bun B are fire too, but I'd consider them more pioneer rappers in the South than "MC's." If that makes any sense.

Brian
01-08-2007, 01:38 PM
no input on mine, Logan?

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
no input on mine, Logan?

I googled him and youtubed him, but couldn't come up with any audio of his vocals.

It seems like he may perform with guitars, so, by default I am disposed to not like it.

Brian
01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
He only does vocals.
He has a drawn on mustache...

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
He only does vocals.
He has a drawn on mustache...

Get me da vocalz yo.

Brian
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
he is the front for
THE AQUABATS

I bet you find dat on da internet.

http://www.nitrorecords.com/files/24/Aquabats_color4_72dpi.jpg
with the moustache

Brian
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
oh this guy is okay.... ;)

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/3/8/8/8/508883_356x237.jpg

EchoOfSilence
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
he's always high on something.... hahahaha

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
he is the front for
THE AQUABATS

I bet you find dat on da internet.

Their uniforms are bad ass.

Cept they have Vans on.

Should've worn some Chuck T's.

s13poop
01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
^ they usually do

i think their band has some of the dopest merchandise

since you can buy their masks and shit

good stuff.. :D

SimpleSexy180
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/13/129241/aesop2.mp3

have fun.

ZenkiKid
01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
1. Rakim for life man.. 18th letter.
2. TheSarus (if you guys dont know who he is, youtube him.)
3. Nas
4. LMNO of the visionaries
5. Supernatural
6. Black Thought
7. Deltron
8. Ghostface killa
9. Inspectah deck
10. Cannibus

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
^ they usually do

i think their band has some of the dopest merchandise

since you can buy their masks and shit

good stuff.. :D

I've seen their bat logo around here and there.

Thanks Brian for solving that mystery.

http://www.rapreviews.com/coverart/mb_crown.jpg

Mountain Brothers!

The Mountain Brothers were a Philly-based hip-hop group consisting of three Asian American rappers. The members were CHOPS, Peril-L, and Styles Infinite. They are considered pioneers, being one of the first Asian American hip-hop groups.

SRkouki
01-08-2007, 06:54 PM
damn im surprised so few people listed canibus on their top ten.... if your looking for music with lyrical skill, better listen to the albums rip the jacker and 2000B.C.
if you guys havnt heard them get em asap! also mic club the curriculum is dope as fuck.

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
damn im surprised so few people listed canibus on their top ten.... if your looking for music with lyrical skill, better listen to the albums rip the jacker and 2000B.C.
if you guys havnt heard them get em asap! also mic club the curriculum is dope as fuck.

I mean yeah, Canibus spit hot fire, but I dunno I just lost interest in him.

Sometimes I got the feeling he was trying TOO hard to make his lyrics complex/deep.

Or maybe it's cause I love LL Cool J so much :love:

exitspeed
01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I made this list of shit to drive to. Not all "real hip-hop", but still ill shit to get you ready for a heat.

Ghostface Killa - Daytona 500
MJ - Billie Jean or Smooth Criminal
Jay-Z - Takeover
Big Tymers - Big Ballin
GZA - 4th Chamber
DMX - Ruff Ryders Anthem
Puff Daddy - Victory
Jay-Z - Jigga What?
Nore - Superthug

s13poop
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Mountain Brothers!

yo logan

"its all about the M-O-N-E-Y

why must everything revolve around the penny

i walk upon the streets without penny

trying to keep a steady pace

im on a paperchase"

thats the cut that got me into them back in the day..

another MC that i forgot to add to my list

is a philipino brother l ike spits like no other

none only but son of ran

http://myspace-187.vo.llnwd.net/01516/78/15/1516185187_l.jpg[

who reigns out the nickel-dime, Hayward CA

SimpleSexy180
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
http://www.laffytaffyrotsyourteeth.com/

SRkouki
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I mean yeah, Canibus spit hot fire, but I dunno I just lost interest in him.

Sometimes I got the feeling he was trying TOO hard to make his lyrics complex/deep.

Or maybe it's cause I love LL Cool J so much :love:
ohhhhh noooo haha well that beef was all stupid, especially since canibus never even dissed him, he was complimenting him by saying "leme borrow the mic from ya arm" and LL gay J took it the wrong way, and then even though canibus changed his lyrics on the track (4,3,2,1) L also re wrote his lines dissing on canibus. that is plain wack and LL cool J got lyrically DESTROYED in 2nd round knockout.

but yea the beef did cause a lot of people to loose interest in canibus, and its a damn shame cuz hes probably one of the most intelligent rappers i ever listened too. man even if you like LL you should still give a listen to rip the jacker, especially the track titled Poet Laureate II.

A Spec Products
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah no doubt, canibus is fire, i still remember the intro with mike tyson on it

that was so gangsta

people wanted to make fun but then realized it was tyson

and that foo eat yo children

but back on track...

looks like chops from mountain brothers (after they split up) been sippin on that purple syrup:

http://www.chopsmusic.com/

i guess he produces a lot of tracks, including The Game - "My Lowrider" (its on the top music streamer)

my lowrider includes e-40 fonzarelli so you norcal guys will listen to it even tho its game haha

DOOOOPE!

ManoNegra
01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Hmmm... lategrab, no particular rank

Kool Mo Dee
DJ Run
Big Daddy Kane
Slick Rick
Guift of Gab
KRSone
BlackThought
Eminem
NAS
MosDef
Talib
Schoolly D
Doug E Fresh
Fatlip
MC Lyte
Ice Cube (early shit)
LL Cool J (early to mid stuff)
Ice T
Q Tip
MF Doom (just for the Dangerdoom album alone)
...sure I'm forgetting a few more

Gotta have stage presence, none of this hiding behind studio knobs and shit...

JesusFreakDrifter
01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
1. tupac (early to before last two albums)
slick rick
talib kwali
common
mos def
ll cool j (early to mid)
nas

and there are some more, and this is coming from the dirty south when crunk music is top. i like conscience hip hop, not that bs mainstream rap thats on the radio today. its good to party to, but conscience hip hop, to me has better messages. especially tupac. but again, just my opinion

Maxstyle
01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
If you like real hip hop. you'll love "Little Brother." Bassed out on North Carolina. Ninth Wonder does all there beats. They also do alot of work with Nicolay. And as far a lyrics, Rymefest is killen em. Consiquence is good too.

djkowai
01-09-2007, 09:47 PM
9th wonder and/ or phonte are absolutely ridiculous in the best way possible

Phlip
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I apologize for coming back to this thread so late, I was moving... I will take this as a request, and again speak to the fact that my list is probably without a #1, so I give my favorite verse I can think of to google right off the top of my head:
Intro: I start to go, my rhymes'll flow
So, get up and dance cause Kane said so
If you were lounging around it's time to get up
Pardon my expression, but I'mma tear shit up
I appear right here, and scare and dare, a mere musketeer
That would dare to compare, I do declare
Getting busy is where it's at
But what you're saying, you wouldn't get a point for that
Cause you're a featherweight, and your rhymes you carry light
But I drop bass just like Barry White
So how could you think that you pose a threat?
You say you're rocking, how many shows you get?
All your vocals go local on the M-I-C
Mines go a great distance, like AT&T
I'm now new to this, I'm true to this, nothing you can do to this
Fuck around with Kane and come out black and blue for this
So, yo, go for what you know
Attempt to debate so I can humiliate
We can go rhyme for rhyme, word for word, verse for verse
Get you a nurse, too late, get you a hearse
To take you to your burial ground
Because the Big Daddy Kane always throws down
Correct, I get respect, I'm out to collect
Cash money, cause I get raw

Here I am, R-A-W
A terrorist, here to bring trouble to
Phony MC's, I move on and seize
I just conquer and stomp another rapper with ease
Cause I'm at my apex and others are below
Nothing but a milliliter, I'm a kilo
Second to none, making MC's run
So don't try to step to me, cause I ain't the one
I relieve rappers just like Tylenol
And they know it, so I don't see why you all
Try to front, perpetrating a stunt
When you know that I'll smoke you up like a blunt
I'm genuine like Gucci, raw like sushi
To stage a rage is what rap did to me
To make me want to create chaos and mayhem
Cold rock a party until the A.M.
I'll make a muscle, grab the mic and hustle
While you stand dazed and amazed, I bust a
Little rhyme with authority, superiority
And captivate the whole crowd's majority
The rhymes I use definitely amuse
Better than Dynasty, or Hill Street Blues
I'm sure to score adored for more without a flaw
Cause I get raw

With speech like a reverend, rappers start severing
And in my lifetime, believe I've never been
Beaten, or eaten and just tooken out
You know, come to think about it, I keep MC's looking out
And real nervous when I'm at your service
Give me that title, boy, you don't deserve this
I work like a slave to become a master
And when I say a rhyme, you that it has to
Be perfectly fitted, cause I'm committed
The entertainer and trainer and Kane'll get with it
I go and flow and grow to let you know
I damage ya I'm not an amateur but a pro-
-fessional unquestionable without doubt superb
So full of action, my name should be a verb
My voice will float on every note
When I clear my throat, that's all she wrote!
The minute that the Kane starts to go on
Believe it's gonna be smooth sailing so on
As I put other rappers out of their misery
Get them in a battle and make them all history
Ruling and schooling MC's that I'm dueling
Watch them all take a fall as I sit back cooling
On my throne, with a bronze microphone
Hmm, God bless the child that can't hold his own
Cause I get raw

Twenty-four sev chilling, killing like a villain
The meaning of raw is Ready And Willing
To do whatever is clever, take a loss, never
And the rhymes I bust, coming off is a must
And I come off hard with rhymes that are odd
I rip the microphone and leave it scarred
Never smoking or hitting or taking a sniff
Only crushing MC's that be trying to riff
I get strong and titanic, do work like a mechanic
Make MC's panic, they all get frantic
And skeptic, like a girl on a contraceptive
As I rock but hey, what you expected?
I'll get raw for you just like a warrior
Rapping like a samurai and I'll be damned if I
Ever let a Fisher-Price MC hang
Their rhymes are toy, nothing but yin-yang
So if we battle on the microphone
Bring your own casket and tombstone
And I'ma preach your funeral
Tell me who in the world could ever come with more
I get raw

Phlip
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
If you like real hip hop. you'll love "Little Brother." Bassed out on North Carolina. Ninth Wonder does all there beats. They also do alot of work with Nicolay. And as far a lyrics, Rymefest is killen em. Consiquence is good too.
You just COMPLETELY ignored Khrysis, who will do a large amount of production on "Get Back," as well as some other motherfucker whose name escapes me right now, while 9th is teaching a class at NC Central and some other shit. Through a mutual friend of a friend, Phonte says that this is NOT breakup.

... so yeah, I am a fan and claim Phonte to be one of the top 5 lyricists out of the south.

ManoNegra
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Can't just pick a verse, sorry for the lenghty post

BDP - Breath Control

[krs-one] + [somebody beatboxing]
Let me tell you bout a crew I know [ba bum bum]
Called boogie down productions and they steal the show [ba bum bum]
With dj scott larock and krs-one
[ba-bum, ba-ba-bum, ba-bum-ba-bum-bababababababababa]
With d-nice you know the job is done
And I know [boom-ba-bum] oh yes I know [ba-boom-ba-bum]
I know because Im krs-one, yo check this out

[beatbox continues in the background]

[krs-one]
Breath control.. heres an example
I appeal, to the +criminal minded+
You cant find it, boy youre still blinded
Why dont you open your eyes and stop dissin
Get a prescription to listen
Sit in the class and ask real fast about a fresh rap
Youre gettin left back, set back, kept back
Get back, I dont accept that material
Your rhymes are artificially flavored like cereal
I like clarity, so when you come here
Speak clear and concise and then I might give
A little slack to.. nah, wait - I take that back
If youre wack, Ill slap, fuck that!
Boogie down productions back, simply cause we never left
The radical sounds of krs
What a mess, to roll up and then fess
Wild guess huh, you thought you were the best?
But - yup yup - as it always turns out
You get burned out, your rhymes just run out
I immediately come out, boomin dope and
Dont provoke, youre walkin a very thin rope
Not even rope, the word Im lookin for is string
When I sing, I sing to try and bring
Enlightenment, yet the suckers be bitin it
Radios fightin it, the fans be likin it
Your face Im wipin it, cause your mouth is dirty
Youre unworthy to think that you can serve me
You heard me? these styles are universal
You need rehearsal, wait, first ill
Beef up the system, rhyth, rhymin, timin, climbin
Then realizing
As producer of this dope record huh
I think its time we break for a second

Breath control..

[krs-one]
Thats it, thats it, thats it
Break is over, back to the track
Resume attack, on the crews that are wack
We dont lack, I mean, we dont like
The played out styles when were rockin the mic
The radical rebel at level fifteen
The amp only goes to ten, you know what I mean?
As it seems, it seems that youre doomed
Yes Ill boom and consume the whole room
Not a part, not a fraction or a sum
But all, capital krs-one
B-d-b-d-b-d-b-d-p
Takin mcs out constantly!
Because youre no big deal, youre no big wheel
You steal, come before me and kneel but
Im not a king, Im not a queen, Im not a ace
Im not a jack, Im not a mc or a playboy
And I just aint wack
I feel that you should get an understanding
You might be jamming, but krs-one is slamming
Hypothetically, or in reality
Takin you out, is a small technicality
Rhymes like these, or rhymes like this one
Comes in handy, while I diss some
Soft silly low budget sucker like yourself
I got the style you need, in my house on the shelf
Labelled, sucker boy style
I like to do it every once in a while..

ManoNegra
01-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Could quote the whole song too but this is my one of my favorite verses from from one of my favorite Beastie Boys song from one my all time favorite Hip Hop albums:

Paul's Boutique - Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun
Predetermined destiny is who I am
You got your finger on the trigger like the Son of Sam, I am
Like Clockwork Orange going off on the town
I've got posse bonanza to beat your ass down
I'm mad at my desk and I'm writing all curse words
Expressing my aggressions through my schizophrenic verse words
You're a headless chicken chasin' a sucker free basin
Just looking for a fist to put your face in
So get hip don't slip you knuckle heads
Racism is schism on the serious tip

EchoOfSilence
01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Pharoah Monche w/ Percee P- Lung Collapsing Lyrics

Percee P

I'm the capital P-E-R-C-double E dash P-P dash double E-C-R-E-P in me
shots in top lyrical fitness that's why you bit this
get this, I got a witness and I won't quit this
and flip flop, get dropped, shit I'm in tip top shape
lyrics escape, can't even catch him with tape
main attraction using my brain a fraction
of my knowledge or wisdom a lyrical rhythm'll give 'em
a migraine, before I reign on stage
you better walk like the fingers on a yellow page
rhymes and homicides are lethal, nobody's equal to me
no one survived, so why make a sequel?
MC Percee P give no mercy to anybody MC'in 'till they reimburse me
I cold grip the mic, strike then rip his life
my raps dilapidate adversaries with kryptonite
hit you with a verse, make you disperse but first
call up a hearse 'cause Perc leave you worse than this
brain cells shatter, MCs scatter
I splatter them all with something that ain't even matter
got a ladder on stage women runnin', comin' every age
but never(?) ring on my finger this thing'll linger un-engaged
renegade, Percee P ain't afraid of no one
no gun or son, I'm gettin' paid and my rec's played
every weekend like lottery, rap's a part of me
words flow but don't show no blood in you artery
ladies greet me, treat me like the stars
when I show up they start to throw up all their panties and bras at me
rap is the last of me now to gas women with my pencil
I send you into a mental catastrophe
this rhyme ain't designed for prime time
and a battle line for logic behind every mind
tryin' to rhyme with intellect, spellin' all incorrect
defy your every line, mine's an introspective
those in the premises will always remember this
record, elected your top ten, stop then and reminisce
Percee P, no rapper get worse than me
when it comes to rhymes every verse will be
harder than titanium, parts from your cranium
burst, disperse, every verse explodes like uranium
so, yo, don't upset me, 'cause that will only get me
mad enough, it's bad enough, I had enough of
lettin' this amateur rock a cord or wallabies
I bet they're all the P's
and if they ain't they gonna be
to all y'all critics, just admit it
my style is dope
you can't cope and you hope to get it
you're captivated, activated, rap related fans leave infatuated
when I get open the place starts smokin'
you start chokin', showboat and Perc get broken
rehearse a while, let it get versatile
I reverse your style, ok, be then maybe Perc'll smile
you're put in a stretcher
when I let the style get ya', I bet ya'
sweat the Rhyme Inspector
records you manufacture are so wack you can't
sing 'em or bring 'em, people fling 'em back at ya
you're the fattest, baddest, of the best copycata's
when you played it, it's rated G for garbage 'cause that's your status
nobodies iller
on the mic you never know when I'mma strike 'em like the Zodiac killer
this twenty two year old veteran, you ain't better than
medicine won't help, slicks think we're peddlin'
when writers bite and hype the type parasites swipe
you're bitin', you're stage fright, don't even hold the mic right

mr.lonelys12
01-10-2007, 05:05 PM
1. MAC DRE
2. J diggs
3. snoop dogg
4. brotha lynch hung
5. bone thugs

mac dre was/is the shit, his rhymes are hot fire, his voice makes any words flow together and is so mesmerizing. any song with mac dre in it becomes amazing when its mac dres verse. when intoxicated mac dre takes you to a new level of enjoyment.

punxva
01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Immortal Technique? Anyone else listen to him, his rhymes are pretty dope

jdizzy204
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
definitely devastating dave is number one.
http://www.phigham.nildram.co.uk/vvm/Devastatin'%20Dave.jpg
2 doc dre
3 vanilla ice
4 lil white
5 bubba sparx
6 master p
7 lil romeo
8 jermaine dupri
9 p diddy
10 ja rule

ManoNegra
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
^ no doubt!
Almost as fresh as Chunky A

http://www.3-x.nl/images/front/27872.jpg

EchoOfSilence
01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
what the fuck
:rofl:

staygold24
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned kilo ali. Geez, come on guys. Haha but I noticed someone mentioned The games new album. In my opinion hes riding dre's nuts a little too hard throughout the album. I was into his first album for a while but I got tired of him after a while. I liked track 12 on his album before dr's advocate alot though.

ZenkiKid
01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
1. tupac (early to before last two albums)

Tupac was the shit in his digital underground days.. hah

ManoNegra
01-10-2007, 10:32 PM
staygold, Zenkikid - I agree.

ps - gotta add Chuck D and Rakim to my list of MCs

arian23
01-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Jay Z is mainstream good. Some People are to dumb to listen to the real good shit cuz its not played on the radio like RZA and Wu tang. They are the shit. I actually smoked a blunt with Raekon at a club. Wu tang is real and they are all OG's. Guru is sick and so is Nas. Pac another top choice. All the radio shit is weak cuz they all rap about the same bullshit on another catchy beat (cars,drugs,getting drunk,bling,bitches) its like cool tell me something new.

SimpleSexy180
01-11-2007, 04:47 AM
^ no doubt!
Almost as fresh as Chunky A

http://www.3-x.nl/images/front/27872.jpg

lol, Arsenio Hall. :keke:

exitspeed
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I just went and bought the Ghost Face. It's Ok. I don't like that all Wu stuff has been all but abandoned. Not sure if something happened with all that or what. Kanye has a cold line on the last song, "She ordered the Kobe Beef like Shaquil O'Neal."

I also pickd up the first ODB album. Damn, I forgot how good that shit was. So unorthadox, and such genuis. He's by far the most unique MC that ever had a somewhat mainstream career.

EchoOfSilence
01-12-2007, 02:47 AM
yeah, i'll quote my good friend on that one.

"He made it cool to act stupid"
lol

bamaboy
01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I usually lose interest in an artist once they get too big of a head and stop caring about the quality of their music......but I would have to say that most of the music I listen to many of you would consider to be mainstream....I'm not too into the heavy underground stuff unless I happen to hear it and really like it. What bothers me is that a lot of people will call some rappers or groups sellouts just because they become famous....I don't totally agree with that. I don't understand those people who think that the only "true hiphop" is the underground. Don't get me wrong, I hate this bubble gum Chingy type studio thug rap as much as the next guy.

az_240
01-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Forgot to add three 6 mafia to my list even though they are a group. I dont care what anybody says about them. They have been around a while an still make so many sick ass beats... them and wu are prolly my favorite groups.

180sExy
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I usually lose interest in an artist once they get too big of a head and stop caring about the quality of their music......but I would have to say that most of the music I listen to many of you would consider to be mainstream....I'm not too into the heavy underground stuff unless I happen to hear it and really like it. What bothers me is that a lot of people will call some rappers or groups sellouts just because they become famous....I don't totally agree with that. I don't understand those people who think that the only "true hiphop" is the underground. Don't get me wrong, I hate this bubble gum Chingy type studio thug rap as much as the next guy.
+1 msglength

ManoNegra
01-13-2007, 03:18 PM
lol.. for selling happenend when a lot of artists traded in their DJ for R&B singers to do their hooks.

Gnnr
01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Just 'cause its underground dosen't mean its good. Lot of is crap too. And if you're good, your bound to get your fame somewhere down the line.

turtl631
01-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I really like (don't necessarily think they're top 10 MCs or groups, just who I like to listen to on a daily basis):

Talib Kweli
One.Be.Lo
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Common
Little Brother
Nas
Mos Def
Masta Ace
Murs
Outkast
MF Doom

I also listen to The Roots, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Kool Keith, Wu and all the affiliates, Cunninlynguists, Jay-Z, Mobb Deep, Slum Village, etc etc. And a lot of goofy little Chicago and Atlanta acts that'll probably never make it big. I do love all the stuff in this thread about "mainstream/radio rap being LAME" and "underground rap sucks." People get so caught up in the labels on things and trying to be cool. Just listen to what you like! There's garbage and jewels in both mainstream and underground arenas. When you try to come as "more underground" than the next guy, you just end up looking like a douchebag and maybe turning off a potential fan, thereby hurting the artists.

Phlip
01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Just 'cause its underground dosen't mean its good. Lot of is crap too. And if you're good, your bound to get your fame somewhere down the line.
Quoted for truth.

Fact remains that some people are so self-righteous that they claim how great substandard shit is, simply because none of their friends have heard of it. Usually, these songs are shittily rhymed to a cheap sounding keyboard beat. Just because someone is "underground," if anyone actively shopping their music to be consumed by the public (yes, even if only on MySpace) can honestly refer to themselves as underground.
PEOPLE, JUST BECAUSE IT IS UNDERGROUND DOES NOT MAGICALLY INCREASE THE QUALITY!

Gilboyto
01-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Aww come on!!!11! Noone here likes Young Jeezy? His new CD isnt that great, but Thug Motivation 101 is amazing. Great beats, and lyrics that seem to sound more true than some other rappers out there.

lucky7
01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
im not much into rap. used to listen to it a little. i couldnt even name 10 i really like.

- Q-tip. i <3 the tribe, and always have.
- guru. i like how everything he says, it sounds like he means it.
- de la soul. not 1 person singleded out.
- pharcyde. shit always cracks me up. i know its the entire group again.

EDIT. somehow forgot wyclef. oops.

Phlip
01-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Aww come on!!!11! Noone here likes Young Jeezy? His new CD isnt that great, but Thug Motivation 101 is amazing. Great beats, and lyrics that seem to sound more true than some other rappers out there.
Jeezy's beats are that next shit.

... his lyrics, on the other hand, are BULLSHIT. He talks the same shit on every song, that we have all heard before, supplemented with a buncha fucking adlibs. I know how to listen and notice that the fact that someone yells "YYYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH" at the end of a bar does NOT make the fact that he said nothing new any more entertaining.

Gnnr
01-13-2007, 10:52 PM

In the words of DMX, "...Young Cheezy. Heh"

Gilboyto
01-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Its your man DMX...woof woof

:-P

rps13drift
01-14-2007, 02:06 PM
1-jedi mind tricks
2-immortal Technique
3-non phixion-la coka nostra
4-nas
5-gang starr
6-kool g rap
7-(old) loyd banks
8-papoose
9-biggie
10-necro

Zemus
01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
1 NAS
2 2Pac (Strickly and 2Pacalipse are orgazmic)
3 Biggie
4 ICE CUBE
5 All of WU TANG
6 Jay Z
7 Eminem
8 Busta (mainly old, but he can still spit)
9 Luda
10 Heiro Crew ( Del included)

slideways14
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
immortal technique -def has some lyrical ability,
afu-ra -is a classic who i am suprised isnt listed more
jedi mind -because jus allah and vinnie paz are crazy
tommy tee- original b-boy
biggie-o.g
nas-queens o.g
big pun-sick nasty
talib kweli,mos def,BLACKSTAR
the kreators- boston roots
the game- hes real

lil wayne doesnt write his own lyrics!!!! he gets them from philly

downshift_sideways
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
No beastie boy love?

Phlip
01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
No beastie boy love?
As pioneers, to the historians among us, but not as genre-bending lyricists.
My opinion, as most should understand.

A Spec Products
01-14-2007, 05:09 PM
As pioneers, to the historians among us, but not as genre-bending lyricists.
My opinion, as most should understand.

Yes, pioneers, but not top MC's.

Mixmaster Mike & the three of them cause mad wreck though.

downshift_sideways
01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
They caused a movement.

bamaboy
01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Jeezy's beats are that next shit.... his lyrics, on the other hand, are BULLSHIT.
I couldn't agree more...though I do kinda like his first album just for the beats

Fact remains that some people are so self-righteous that they claim how great substandard shit is, simply because none of their friends have heard of it.
You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to sit through some garbage local bullshit rapper here in Milwaukee because these idiots think this rapper is hot....most of the time it's because they know them or have met them.

lil wayne doesnt write his own lyrics!!!! he gets them from philly
you know this how???

the game- hes real
you gotta be kidding me....just because he has a tattoo on his face?? I'm sick of hearing about the prince to the aftermath throne.....get of Dre's dick. He has some lyrical ability, but he totally missed the big time for west coast artists. Most of that west coast shit fell off when we got tired of listening to people talk about gang banging....then the mainstream rap world moved on to diamonds, exspensive champange, and excess ballin out of control.....we brought it on ourselves....sorta

Phlip....I wanna thank you for convincing me to go buy Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor. I don't think I heard a more moving, pure lyrical piece of art in a long time. Do you happen to have any of his stuff before he was signed?
***you didn't directly influence me, I just starting to listening to some of the stuff people have been posting and so far that's the best thing I found out of most of it...

Phlip
01-14-2007, 09:12 PM
*that other stuff you said*

Phlip....I wanna thank you for convincing me to go buy Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor. I don't think I heard a more moving, pure lyrical piece of art in a long time. Do you happen to have any of his stuff before he was signed?
***you didn't directly influence me, I just starting to listening to some of the stuff people have been posting and so far that's the best thing I found out of most of it...
Yes, I do, AIM me when you get a chance.

A Spec Products
01-14-2007, 09:54 PM

He is not a rapper. Even he says so himself.

He says he's like a motivational speaker, a street motivator of sorts. He is not a lyricist whatsoever imo.

you gotta be kidding me....just because he has a tattoo on his face?? I'm sick of hearing about the prince to the aftermath throne.....get of Dre's dick. He has some lyrical ability, but he totally missed the big time for west coast artists.

The Game is the SHIT.

I don't consider him to be a dope MC, but he is a sick ass rapper.

Swagger, delivery, presence, etc.

I'm west coast biased of course, but he is a big deal for the west coast.

bamaboy
01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't consider him to be a dope MC, but he is a sick ass rapper.

Swagger, delivery, presence, etc.

I'm west coast biased of course, but he is a big deal for the west coast.

I guess I can give you that...but it terms of being near the top of the game, I think not. I think he is a good rapper with above average skills, but he trys so hard to be hard that he ends up looking silly sometimes. I guess I'm just moving past the hardcore gansta stuff now, it's kind of annoying to me. FUCK!!!! I AM GETTING OLD!!!

A Spec Products
01-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I guess I can give you that...but it terms of being near the top of the game, I think not. I think he is a good rapper with above average skills, but he trys so hard to be hard that he ends up looking silly sometimes. I guess I'm just moving past the hardcore gansta stuff now, it's kind of annoying to me. FUCK!!!! I AM GETTING OLD!!!

Yeah, I definitely agree with that side.

But unfortunately I think maybe they put something in the water out here that makes me unable to hate on The Game.

I'd say that also there is probably a big marketing budget that will see that he does not fail.

KA24DESOneThree
01-15-2007, 12:03 AM
First off, fuck the Game and the horse he rode in on. I have no West Coast love for his punk ass, and no respect for him in any connotation of the word. The publicity machine made him out to be all that and he just falls flat. I'd rather listen to Lil' Bow Wow.

Second, Deltron Zero aka Del tha Funky Homosapien from the Hieroglyphics is badass and underappreciated. Yeah, sometimes his voice is a bit grating but his lyrical skills are incredible. His solo efforts fell flat on their face because of the voice combined with sub-pop (read: lacking the monetary connection to get the popular producers) beats. "Deltron 3030," his work with the Gorillaz and his appearance on "So, How's Your Girl?" prove that with a fantastic producer (Dan the Automator, one of the best in the game) he can be popular.

A Spec Products
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Sigh.

I still love The Game.

:love:

Gnnr
01-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Sigh.

I still love The Game.

Guilty pleasures eh, we all have them I think? I understand that. :D

A Spec Products
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Guilty pleasures eh, we all have them I think? I understand that. :D

Hahah

No way

Loud and proud

I was down with Game since day one and still poppin!

My guilty pleasures are stuff like Jojo, Fergie, Christina Aguileriee, etc.

Err, um, I mean....

Gnnr
01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Haha, Logan dosen't want to hear it. He likes The Game and thats that. :P

slideways14
01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Gillie da kid from major figures ghost wrote all of cash moneys new shit. even wayne had admited that himself in interviews. im not talkin shit on wayne cuz i think his style of delivery is clever andi do listen, but he doesnt write his own lyrics.

Deltron Zero aka Del tha Funky Homosapien, they too have sick lyrics but there style of delivery totally kills the fact that they are so lyrically inclined

the game has nasty delivery and nasty lyrics. he brings a different genre of rap that appeals to some and not others. he is one of the few rap artist now who has relased two lp's (the documentery and doctors advocate) where all songs on the cd are good. not just 2 hits.

p.s. dan the automators 2k7 is the biggest garbage ever

KA24DESOneThree
01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Sigh.

I still love The Game.

Word, my opinion is only the opinion of a white kid who hasn't been in the game (no pun intended) for very long, nor have I listened to much of the Game. I heard a couple tracks, disliked them, and swore them off. I've never heard him live so my opinion is based on limited exposure.

slideways14
01-15-2007, 10:28 PM
and you cant forget about Unknown prophets, or slug

turbozxi
01-15-2007, 10:41 PM
NAS- would have be number one, solely because of Illmatic.

KRS 1- I think should be up there to, from BDP to present times.

Scarface probably be in there somewhere as well.

jdm538
01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Andrew E - dopest MC from the Philippines YO!

PBucch
01-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Throw some D's on that bitch!

Phlip
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Yo, piss in the staircase, blood on the pavement
I fill the quills with it let it spill on the pages
Compose another anthem for the killers and manglers
Villains and wranglers, fifth still in the chamber
Shit, I'm scientific but my reflex's gangsta
Pull out-rageous arms from the floor of the basement
Then bust 'nuff talons if my people's in danger
I'm Larry Davis, duckin' helicopter, hoverin' government agents
We muscle the language
What 'Riq spit will leave your shit in utter amazement
I'm hot brolic call it contagious
The shit the Roots started got these other artists going through changes
My vision is the strangest, the rhythm is anguish
Y'all n****z on the titty in your formative stages
Is something in the iris and the way I spit
That tell these other crab rappers I ain't fo' no shit
Black traumatic, so there you have it
My battin' average, over a phonographic assault, it's all classic
Thought, put ass-backwards rappers in a small package
Experience is all that is, I'm well established
Me and the mic in holy matrimony like a marriage
The technique in your reach, if only you could grab it
For me it's automatic, it's na-tu-ral, I'm that thoro
Poet for hire pack metal
You feel me?

[Chorus]

Yo, the load heavy
We walk around a little edgy, all ready and steady
Withdrawal like Darryl Strawberry, it figures
N****z mad from them cattle sandwiches and swine
Cryin' hard times, disadvantegeous, man listen
The story in the ghetto the same
Seem like it's just some things that never will change
Give birth to a style and won't give it a name
Talk 'bout consciousness it's a different thang
Envision again, the honorable 'Riq, general Hannibal speak
The understandable diabolique, animal style
Out of your dreams kid, you proud that you seen this
Fifth supreme linguist, a lyrical genius
Inject you with the broke down english
The most freshest and cleanest, 'Riq G's, guess what the fame is
Kareem's beat makin' me fiendish
Don't act shaky and squeamish, if you real make me believe it n***a

[Chorus]

Yo, the rebel Che Guevara
You felt another date, you better
Don't copped 'Thought's theater just save your cheddar
I hit the studio with a pen and a vendetta
Sippin' an ice cold Beck's, huffin' the tenth letter
Driftin', shots lickin while the plot thickens
Sands in the hourglass thinnin', the last inning
The flash and the cash and the fast women
It's nothing, a lust for the craft keep the passion and
Black, kissin' my tablet with firing pins
Poke holes in the plastic for oxygen
MCs jumpin' out shoes and socks again
Must have seen their face in the news it's gots to been
Thought known as the cure for cancer
Same corrupt city as Mumia the Panther
Man to man, hammer cocked, block and standoff
Bang, gun fiya slang up in the dance hall
Yo, I hold the mic that could be thrown as a pipe bomb
Bring it just to sling it at your favorite icon
Thing about my music is it ain't shit like y'all
Thought, diesel like a 28-inch python
You know what I'm saying?

When I'm on the mic there won't be no delayin...

+90 to the person to name the MC, song AND album

Phlip
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
This thread has me active and up past my bedtime:

Yeah, sitting in the staircase, holding back tears
Looking over mad years worth of photographs
Pictures of some places I ain't never going back
Some people I used to love, why I ain't show them that?
The skies was overcast, when I was sober last
My head is spinning, couldn't tell you if it's slow or fast
It's starting to get too clear, I got to go and grass
To y'all it's a shame but life is what we know it as
Waiting, navigating the plot, without plans
In the car, it's hard to read as a clock with no hands
How your man's goin' get up and stop with no yams
All it take is one break, it could pop the program
Whether sinning or not, my back bending like I'm sentenced a lot
I feel some brothers is beginning to plot
It might have been a close friend I forgot
Who started up and ain't remember to stop
I bet these n****s gon' remember the shock

[chorus]

Yo, I'm like Malcolm out the window with the weapon out
Searching for somehow to find a minute or the second now
Precious time is money that I ain't got to mess about
Need it from the horse's mouth or from my eyewitness account
Lessons with my back to the wall, scoping my session out
Stay a little edgy at times when I ain't stressing bout
Haters don't know shit about me, they the ones that talk shit
Those that love me send it out, so I ain't got to force quit
Cause I'm doing better now, don't mean I never lost shit
I was married to a state of mind and I divorced it, man
I'm from where brothers moving product from the porches
People locking their doors, clutching to their crosses
The block hot by the law, there ain't too many choices
So what I do is for y'all, there ain't too many voices left
I watch my back, and watch my step
And I might forgive, but I will not forget come on

[Chorus]

Yo, living in turbulent times
The blind leading the blind
Some call it evolution, some say intelligent design
You say you want a revolution, you out of your mizind
Your sons' destitute, and their pops all in the prison
My man's back in the jam, he like the back of my hand
He just attracted to scam, he right back in the can
I never sleepwalking, you dig
You get your shuteye
I'm on the first thing in, I'm leaving on the red-eye
My brother back in rehab, just had another relapse
Within himself, it's been like he's been fighting in a Jihad
Half telling me nobody true when they pretend to be that
So closer than friends, that's where I keep my enemy at
To many parties concerned, it's time to live it and learn
Until we're able to grow, forever bridges we burn
My thoughts free as a bird, that's just about to emerge
And every action is heard, it speaks louder than words, yo

quasimoto
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
MC, song AND album

I have that Album, love it;
especially "Break You Off."

MC: Black Thought, Artist: The Roots; Song: Quills; Album: Phrenology

Phlip
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
I have that Album, love it;
especially "Break You Off."

MC: Black Thought, Artist: The Roots; Song: Quills; Album: Phrenology
+90 for you, sir...
That song is my alarm clock at 6:45am daily.

quasimoto
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
to contribute to the thread:
in no specific order (off the top of my head)..
Big L
Son Of Ran
Genelec
Talib Kweli
Murs
Nas
The Notorious B.I.G.
Tupac
One Be Lo
Afu-ra
Quasimoto/Mf Doom (not the GREATEST MCs out there, but love their stuff)..

I really can't put together a solid "top 10."
I see alot of great MCs out there, just hard to decide..

turtl631
01-17-2007, 11:16 PM
PHLIP: Second one's "Clock With No Hands" off their latest, Game Theory. I think that's my fav track on the album actually. Good stuff.

Phlip
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
PHLIP: Second one's "Clock With No Hands" off their latest, Game Theory. I think that's my fav track on the album actually. Good stuff.
That is also correct, I hadn't offered for that one, but + rep for you too.
I am not sure if that song or "Can't Stop This" are my favorites.

A Spec Products
01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Both of you guys GOOGLED it I bet.

Sucka MC's!

quasimoto
01-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Sucka MC's!

lol.. nah man, i asked jeeves. :mepoke:

--
current alarm:

when your mind is acting wild
&you swear you're insane
can't nothing help you out
of this trap you're in
you don't know which way to turn
&your head is in pain
can't nothing help you out
of this insanity
- moka only(swollen members); paranoia

--

forgot to list swollen members &necro.
many people dont really listen to psychological records (necro, ill bill, etc..)
due to the violent &twisted lyrics..
but i seem to love certain styles/tones MCs like necro use.

turtl631
01-19-2007, 12:12 AM

Sucka MC's!

Haha, no way, I love that song! I'm terrible with song titles usually, but that's one I remembered because its so bizarre.

Phlip
01-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Haha, no way, I love that song! I'm terrible with song titles usually, but that's one I remembered because its so bizarre.
Funny thing, I have noticed about Blackthought and The Roots' songs and how they're titled.
Sometimes the song title SEEMS rather arbitrary, but you didn't notice that it was something said in a line early in a song. Both songs I named above are examples, so is "Web," from "The Tipping Point."
To jump genres for a second, Nirvana did the SAME thing with "Heart Shaped Box."

bamaboy
01-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Nirvana.......man that was great music........oh oh sorry back on topic

PBucch
01-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Where is all the love for Gary Grice/GZA/Genius!?!??!!

Gnnr
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey, why don't you guys host the music somewhere. A song with a favorite verse, or a song that you think would help justify your MCs top 10 status. You can use Imeem.com like I did or youtube, google video, etc. Think that'll be a good way to get to hear new stuff. Better if its just the song alone and not the music video so we can concentrate on the lyrics and beat.

Phlip
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey, why don't you guys host the music somewhere. A song with a favorite verse, or a song that you think would help justify your MCs top 10 status. You can use Imeem.com like I did or youtube, google video, etc. Think that'll be a good way to get to hear new stuff. Better if its just the song alone and not the music video so we can concentrate on the lyrics and beat.
Because that oversteps legal boundaries that I do not want to get into.

Gnnr
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Ahh, ok. True. Anyways, was listening to the new Nas album. He's definitely in the Top 10, crazy...

theronin
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
roomate showed me celph titled. siiiiick shit. the gatalog. look it up guys.

playing with fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sFxb60NyxU)