PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys stay cool in the heat at summer track events?

TurDz
07-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking of making or buying a cheap tarp tent, so during the gaps between runs we can just sit there and chill rather than standing in 100+ degree heat.

Post your ideas or finds. thanks

m0rex
07-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Buy a nismo umbrella then dress up like the d1 umbrella girls. Oh yeah...

sr240mike
07-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Going to Buttonwillow on tuesday????? Get a personal cooling mister and a canopy and you'll be set. http://store.preparedness.com/noname154.html

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-03-2005, 09:26 PM
You have seen my hat! hahahah That and a LOT of water ( I can drink a gallon or more on hot days ) Long sleeves help to, as long as the fabric is not to heavy.
Those tents you are talking about are not too expensive. I think you can get one around $100. Just be sure you have a way to weight down the legs because they will fly away!

Mr. Badlose
07-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I went to the Speedtrial event today at Streets of Willow. About 100 degrees. It was pretty hellish since I don't do too well in that kind of heat.

I may have looked like a jackass, but routinely pouring water over myself seemed to help. I'm going to buy a cheap shade awning, saw them for $20 at Autozone IIRC.

TurDz
07-03-2005, 09:48 PM
hmm $20..I will look into that. Also, I might split this with a friend or two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91060

a tad more expensive, but looks like a very nice unit. But, that $20 one (no matter how crappy it is) seems very appealing.

zero.counter
07-03-2005, 09:53 PM
hmm $20..I will look into that. Also, I might split this with a friend or two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91060

a tad more expensive, but looks like a very nice unit. But, that $20 one (no matter how crappy it is) seems very appealing.

I just bought one of those INSTANT DOME CANOPIES with the anchor hooks for $18 from dollar general the other day.

radhaz
07-03-2005, 10:33 PM
If you do opt to go with the tent/canopy setups do as heeded and be prepared to properly anchor your tent. While at a drift day last year we say an entire tent blow away and scratch the hell out of a brand new black scion. Luckily the owner of the scion was with the group that had the tent. Most everyone around took note of the incident and took measures to ensure their own tents were secure except of course for the dipshits who were right next to the tent that blew away.

Fast forward about 45 minutes and sure enough there tent blew away too. Unfortunately for my friend his S14 with the pearl white paint job managed to stop the tent from getting more than 20 ft from its original location. My friend was too nice, and as far as I know he let it slide when I wouldn't have. I can honestly say that if someone damages my property in any way due to their own carelessness or negligence then I will get what's due.

OptionZero
07-03-2005, 11:31 PM
we'll bring some bricks or use the spare tires and tie that shit down

TurDz
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks very much for the warning, I appreciate it. And thanks for all the feedback.

thx247
07-04-2005, 02:49 AM
BW will have overhead cover and some mist system going. The little tents help, but the mist is king.

TurDz
07-04-2005, 03:20 AM
haha, how'd you know I was talking about BW? lol

I just remmeber from last year that it was insanely hot...I tried to sit in cars as much as possible.

And I remember Al putting up a tent and trying to stay there as long as possible too.

Is the overhead cover going to be at the paddocks or their seating/food area?

thx247
07-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Its their seating area. We'll hopefully have our tent again, but after we run out of cold drinks, I'll be in the mist area. Or in the truck with the AC on pulling people out of the dirt.

DoriftoSlut
07-04-2005, 11:13 PM
hang out in my friends tents and booths and shoot the shit.
simple as that.

Maeda
07-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Stay cool?
I make sure to watch mtv and catch and learn all the cool songs.
Then watch enough tv to make sure I got all the cool threads.
AND THEN... I hang out at the local highschool so i'm up to date on all the cool slang.

At the track,
I whip out my g/fs cressida backseat and stand around people with tents until they shoo me away when I steal their water.
The best thing I ever bought for the track is one of those garden sprayers.

Spray the radiator after a lap, and spray a little on myself.

meme
07-05-2005, 12:55 AM
i bought a 10ft X 10ft foldable canapy for $59 on sale. the bad thing about these canapy is that the center of each side is not supported. so when the winds start hitting; it will puch the center of each side of the canapy in.

my friend has a more expensive one and it has the supports on each side. but i think it was like 3 or 4 times as much.

Maeda
07-05-2005, 01:10 AM
my friend has a more expensive one and it has the supports on each side. but i think it was like 3 or 4 times as much.

Theres the solution.
Sell yours, or give it to me, and borrow your friends.
I mean how often does one go to the track and not be in the car most of the time?

Drunk Bastard
07-05-2005, 02:19 AM
usually at track events im sitting in my car, waiting in line. i always make sure to bring plenty of water and gatorade and keep them cool in a cooler. holding your door open while staging helps with keeping air moving through the car. dunno if that helps anyone, but thats what i do.

Replicant_S14
07-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Long sleeves help to, as long as the fabric is not to heavy.

Right on. It's seems like a dumb thing to do but it works pretty good. I buy these Columbia PFG (Pro Fishing Gear). They're long sleeve and you can't see it in the pic but they're cut in the back and have vents. A wide, queer looking hat helps too.
http://www.kaufmans.com/images/columbia_bahama2.jpg