PDA

View Full Version : High Idle right after 5 speed swap

vegita319
04-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Ok I did a search and came on this thread about the guy car's running rich. He was idling high and tried replacing iacv, rotors, caps, plugs, wires, fuel filter and so on. I did the same stuff and i even adjusted the idle and the lowest it would go is 1000. I was trying a bunch of things and all of a sudden, when i unplug my EFI harness, the idles drops normal and i can adjust the screw to get 700 rpms.

The only problem is when i plug the efi harness back, it shoots back up to 1500. I dunno if its my IACV or not but adjust the screw does make a difference. That leads me to think its fine. It's been idling high after the 5 speed swap and I have searched and no one else that has done the swap had high idle for the ka.

I checked all the hoses for vacuum leaks, and I've checked the timing as well. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Ctune has looked at it as well and they are stumped! So any other suggestions would be helpful.

Edit- O yeah, I already pulled codes and it shows 55, meaning everything runs fine.

the head
04-01-2005, 08:22 AM
sounds like your IACV is stuck open claen that bich out with some carb cleaner probably just carboned up and stuck

Phlip
04-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Are you still using the auto ECU? If so that is your problem, get used to it or get a manual ECU
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=74615

drift freaq
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
normal auto ecu stuff, but if you go to the 5 speed ecu you will lose a few cool things.
The auto ecu on a S13 is actually a secret weapon performance upgrade. Ya you get the funny drop to idle issue but the trade off is no speed cut!! Higher rev limit 7200 and a better curve . Yes a better curve!! Why because auto trannys are much different than clutch manual setups . So the ecu maps have a different curve to them. All the auto cars I have swapped have always been quicker useing the auto ecu. vs a 5 speed ecu car.

Phlip
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Damn, makes me angry that my auto ECU was for a single cam and my engine is a twincam

vegita319
04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Damn, makes me angry that my auto ECU was for a single cam and my engine is a twincam

Well, I have a twin cam ecu and the engine is a twin cam, and it still idles funny like that, so you're probably not missing out on much. I have to admit though, the car does feel faster and gets better gas milage on the highway compared to my twin cam 5 speed. It just sucks around the streets because the high idle is causing my car to get around 12 mpg.