PDA

View Full Version : Broken coolant neck and unknown vacuum lines

MrTalmus
09-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Hi guys,

It's been a long time, over a year to be exact, when I wrote this article about some broken rockerarms. (https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=660144)

I've finally put the engine back together and it seem to run perfectly, problem is tho that the coolant neck is broken and I've already planned an inspection to get the car roadlegal and have a very limited time and therefor don't have time to order any parts.

I do have a coolant neck without the tapped input for the turbo coolant return. Is there any other places I can put this turbo coolant line or do I really need to order a new part?:smash:

Also, there are two inputs/outputs to the "throttle body" or the secound part of the intake that is connected to the head. which I don't know what I'm suppose to put on, I do have one vacuum line which I'm pretty sure has to go on one of these inputs, but I don't know which of them and I don't know where the other line could be, so my question is then what are those two inputs for and what kind of line's are suppose to be on them? Knowing what they are for and what to put on them would help me locate the
appropriate "hoses". I'll be posting some pictures. The line I'm holding on the picture (#3) is going inside the car.

I hope I can make myself understood as English is not my first language and technical words don't come natural to me.

MrTalmus
09-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Or is it possible to somehow weld/glue the part back together? There is not really any mechanical stress on this part other than temperature and vibrations. Welding a part like this is very haggard and against my own standards, but I only need the car to pass through the inspection until I can locate a new part.

https://imgur.com/a/iinVcB1

S14rebuild
09-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Just drill and tap the new coolant housing..dont know why ur making a bigger deal then needed.

As for the vacuum line, start the car up, see which port has suction on it and use that one. The other port just cap it off.

Not that difficult

MrTalmus
09-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Just drill and tap the new coolant housing..dont know why ur making a bigger deal then needed.

As for the vacuum line, start the car up, see which port has suction on it and use that one. The other port just cap it off.

Not that difficult

Well, lack of knowlage might be the answer to why I'm making it harder.

I don't really see how I could drill and tap a new hole as the line adapter would need a flat surface to let the copper ring make a seal. If I had the tool's to do it I would have considered it, but I don't really see how as I got a very limited amount of tools and resources.. Using a bigger drill bit after tapping wouldn't make a flat surface either.

For the vacuum line, knowing what to do is one thing. Knowing why is another. And altough I appreciate your reply, do you have an explenation on what those line's do and what purpose they have?

Thanks!

EFITTZY
09-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Hey Talmus,
I believe those vacuum ports are for your BOV and FPR. In terms of your water neck, some jb weld should get you through the inspection... Then you can replace later down the line.

Like S14rebuild said I think you are making it a bigger deal than it actually is :keke:. Anyways best of luck man.

S14rebuild
09-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Drill and tap the hole, add sealant(silcone, permatex, jbweld) to the threads of the fitting and screw it in. Let it dry and bam, done deal. U can leave as is or order the correct housing and replace later.

As ur vacuum lines multiple things need a vacuum soucre, fpr, bov, wastegate, boost gauge, fund the port that has vacuum n hook it up. Simple

jedi03
09-19-2019, 12:15 PM
i have an s13 waterneck with AN line fitting already welded on...can ship fast if you need!

jr_ss
09-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Well, lack of knowlage might be the answer to why I'm making it harder.

I don't really see how I could drill and tap a new hole as the line adapter would need a flat surface to let the copper ring make a seal. If I had the tool's to do it I would have considered it, but I don't really see how as I got a very limited amount of tools and resources.. Using a bigger drill bit after tapping wouldn't make a flat surface either.

For the vacuum line, knowing what to do is one thing. Knowing why is another. And altough I appreciate your reply, do you have an explenation on what those line's do and what purpose they have?

Thanks!

Throw the banjo fitting in the trash. Drill and tap for an AN fitting of adequate size. You do not need a flat surface for this. My recommendation, find a larger thread than the current thread in the neck and utilize that size for the AN fitting.