PDA

View Full Version : Coilover recommendations

Gunnar240sx
03-31-2019, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,

So when I bought my tein street flex coilovers I basically had no idea what I was buying. I’ve had them for two years but they are just too harsh for daily driving. I commute 80miles mon-fri. What’s my best recourse here? Can I pick up some springs with a softer rate and be good from there? I can’t remember exactly but I’m currently somewhere.in the 10-12 range. I will say They feel amazing on a smooth rd.

Thanks

G

da_crew10
03-31-2019, 07:38 PM
Fortune auto. Tell them you want low spring rates and valving done to accommodate more for daily driving. I've ran megan, parts shop max, stance, and fortune auto (3x). F.A for sure makes more forgiving coilovers.

jdmgtom
04-01-2019, 07:48 AM
racelands, cheap and life time warranty

jedi03
04-01-2019, 09:35 AM
powered by max...also lifetime warranty

Abeo
04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Fortune auto. Tell them you want low spring rates and valving done to accommodate more for daily driving. I've ran megan, parts shop max, stance, and fortune auto (3x). F.A for sure makes more forgiving coilovers.

I did that, and still got a harsh 7/6 setup. Their standard rear uprights are set up to have the rear of the car dumped, and I needed to preload the springs to get the ride height I wanted. I'm currently looking into a dual spring setup for initial plushness.

After all the talk on this forum about the ride quality of the F500's, it still doesn't match my buddies setup of flex coilovers with tender springs.

Ratpack_Chad
04-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Get softer swift springs and add helpers

brndck
04-01-2019, 11:22 AM
7/6 is pretty soft for s-chassis
8/6 is the default for most 240 coils
you may need to order custom spring rates, or consider custom damping
Powertrix has a great line of coilovers plus they're in san diego so you get local support

Abeo
04-01-2019, 11:36 AM
7/6 is pretty soft for s-chassis
8/6 is the default for most 240 coils
you may need to order custom spring rates, or consider custom damping
Powertrix has a great line of coilovers plus they're in san diego so you get local support

Depends on your definition of soft. Stock is 2/2, lowering springs are 2 to 5.

You can't have OEM initial plushness when going up 3 times in stiffness. You also can't dial in plushness with the compression adjusters at that spring rate.

This is why I'm looking at a progressive spring rate with helper springs... have the rate ramp up with travel, so the suspension can absorb little hits while transitioning to harder spring rates at deeper travel.

OP: if you are at 12 or 10, try a 7/6 or 7/5 rate first... there shouldn't be any problems finding a used set from someone going stiffer.

da_crew10
04-01-2019, 01:13 PM
I did that, and still got a harsh 7/6 setup. Their standard rear uprights are set up to have the rear of the car dumped, and I needed to preload the springs to get the ride height I wanted. I'm currently looking into a dual spring setup for initial plushness.

After all the talk on this forum about the ride quality of the F500's, it still doesn't match my buddies setup of flex coilovers with tender springs.

My current setup Stance SS+ coilovers are 8/6 plus helper springs in the rear. They are not as forgiving as FA's have been for me in the past. I would personally go lower on the rates if daily driving was the cars only purpose. Tell them you do not need them to go super low and ask for helper springs up front and in the rear. I can imagine those riding super comfy.

You got to understand that a coilover system will never be as comfortable as a spring and shock combo.

Also if you have not replaced old bushings/ball joints, inner and outers etc you car will feel like ass. Which leads me to my next point if you did change them out but went with solid bushings rather than polyurethane parts be prepared to lose comfort. Same goes for suspension arms.

Abeo
04-01-2019, 01:18 PM
My current setup Stance SS+ coilovers are 8/6 plus helper springs in the rear. They are not as forgiving as FA's have been for me in the past. I would personally go lower on the rates if daily driving was the cars only purpose. Tell them you do not need them to go super low and ask for helper springs up front and in the rear. I can imagine those riding super comfy.

You got to understand that a coilover system will never be as comfortable as a spring and shock combo.

Also if you have not replaced old bushings/ball joints, inner and outers etc you car will feel like ass. Which leads me to my next point if you did change them out but went with solid bushings rather than polyurethane parts be prepared to lose comfort. Same goes for suspension arms.

I went with SPC arms with rubber bushings everywhere for ride quality. No polyurethane in my car except for the steering rack. Rest of the bushings are good, balljoints are tight.

dizzariot
04-01-2019, 08:17 PM
...I'd start by posting in the right area.

Y'all should be ashamed. Without rules, Zilvia would turn into a total shitfest. :rolleyes:

DomChan
04-01-2019, 09:13 PM
10/8 Fortune Autos which I daily’d with a tucked 18” wheel setup on an s14. As comfortable as it gets!

godrifttoday
04-02-2019, 09:55 AM
I run 8/4 feal 441

Gunnar240sx
04-02-2019, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. My car needs a lot of work. I think I ought to buy a different daily at this point so I can actually have time fix all the areas that are begging for attention. One weekend at a time I guess.