PDA

View Full Version : Would benting framerail effect handling?

ghostuss
10-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Well here is the story. Narc and I were putting in some sway bar at a slanted drive way. So we jacked the car up from the rear, and Narc went to put the jack stand under. While he had the jack stand down there near the rear half of the framerail (The hollow half). The car start to tilt and falling off the jack. We only had one jack stand under the car and Narc was holding it. So I tried to stop it by lower it a bit. Then the jack stand hit the car and kinda bent in to the framerail (The jack stand pushed the hollow part of the framerail into the car). So far I daily drive the car to school and back. Maybe just me not feeling it. Anyone know if this should effect handling?

Brian
10-21-2004, 01:26 PM
it'll be fine.
go out and drive.

NZO
10-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Aparently its fine but its funny to see how many people completely mangle their frame rails by using them as jack points.

HockeyMatt04
10-21-2004, 04:36 PM
what should u use to put it on a lift? (stupid Q, i know, but humor me)

wootwoot
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
the seam

dfhsjkm,dsmdjhdfvj n

thx247
10-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Seams, cross member in the front, tranny in the rear. Subframe mounts in the rear, forward of the tire.

wootwoot
10-21-2004, 05:16 PM
shock mounts work too but seams are my choice

HockeyMatt04
10-21-2004, 05:35 PM
can someone post pics with circles of where i can lift it at? i'm really stupid when it comes to chassis's

ghostuss
10-21-2004, 07:23 PM
The best place to lift the car is the cross member in the front and the diff in the rear. I dunno how you put stand on a tranny, maybe you mean the rear cross member? The front stand goes at the front half of the rail (The stronger half) and the rear goes at the subframe mouts area or the side soam near the door- Where your stock jack would go to jack up the car to change tires.

stillmatic
10-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Tell everyone how it exactly happened. :mrmeph: :fawkd: I'm not familiar with the s14 so I was trying to see where to put the jack stands. The car wasn't falling. It just moved a little because the jack was tilted. Why? Because everyone that has worked on their car at my house knows that my driveway sucks. The car stopped moving before you lowered the jack all the way down. That wasn't a little bit :x:, otherwise your frame rail wouldn't be fucked like that. See how I put the other jack stand on the solid part of the frame rail? It didn't bend at all like the driver's side. You panic and messed your shit up. It would've been fine even if the car did fall off the jack because the rear tires were still on the car. I always use the frame rail as jack stand points on my s13 and my shit is all straight.

Good luck on saturday bish.

Ghst 01
10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Tell everyone how it exactly happened. :mrmeph: :fawkd: I'm not familiar with the s14 so I was trying to see where to put the jack stands. The car wasn't falling. It just moved a little because the jack was tilted. Why? Because everyone that has worked on their car at my house knows that my driveway sucks. The car stopped moving before you lowered the jack all the way down. That wasn't a little bit :x:, otherwise your frame rail wouldn't be fucked like that. See how I put the other jack stand on the solid part of the frame rail? It didn't bend at all like the driver's side. You panic and messed your shit up. It would've been fine even if the car did fall off the jack because the rear tires were still on the car. I always use the frame rail as jack stand points on my s13 and my shit is all straight.

OWNED...................i try to always use the seams also... but the car should be find

skatanic28
10-21-2004, 08:26 PM
from the fsm.....
http://www.clarkson.edu/~petrykmf/lift%20points.bmp

anyone know where to grab those adapters?
i made some ghetto ones out of wood but they are meeting their end.

kazuo
10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
hah! you dont need no stinkin adapters.

Jack it from the seams/crossmember up front, and the diff in the rear. If your car is slammed, sucks to be you -- get some friends to lift the car or use tow hooks if you're deperate. Jack stand points are shown in the diagram or where thx247 mentioned (I use the subframe spots in the rear or the nubs just in front of the rear shock; front I use the seams). If the jack stand dont sit right, turn it sideways.

Me & my buddies do it often, no problems and no one gets smooshed by their/someone else's car.

ghostuss
10-21-2004, 10:11 PM

Well if the car does fall off the jack, who knows what it will hit. The jack handle might even break my fiberglass rear bumper or the jack woulda sticked to somewhere soft such as the fuel tank??. Lowering the car will reduce the among of force of the car when hitting the ground.(yea elementry physics do help) So it does make sense to lower the car at that point rather see it directly fall off the jack and just hit the ground while the jack is still under it with full height extended. After all if you could just make some loud call I would have stopped at middle instead you just watched the damn rail slowly bent in. :mepoke: :duh:

BTW, I didn't blame you at all for this. I take this as my own fault. You ever hear me saying, "Damn Narc it's all your fault and now pay for it to get it fix?" :axe:

ghostuss
10-21-2004, 10:18 PM
hah! you dont need no stinkin adapters.

Jack it from the seams/crossmember up front, and the diff in the rear. If your car is slammed, sucks to be you -- get some friends to lift the car or use tow hooks if you're deperate. Jack stand points are shown in the diagram or where thx247 mentioned (I use the subframe spots in the rear or the nubs just in front of the rear shock; front I use the seams). If the jack stand dont sit right, turn it sideways.

Me & my buddies do it often, no problems and no one gets smooshed by their/someone else's car.

Don't turn it sideways. The thing is designed to have it one way unless you talking about the subframe mount, which you can have it anyway you like it. If you talking about the safety stand, or the rail, keep the jack stand sideways or you are gonna be laying sideways in a pile of mud. :faint:

twitchy
10-22-2004, 12:51 AM
jack it up from teh framerails

but put a two by four in there to spread the "impact" of the jack out

the framerails are a joke anyhow, they dont even do anything

I had a nasty hole in mine on the front driver side thats apparently common...got it professionally fixed though. my friends 240 doesnt even have framerails left and it seems ok

kazuo
10-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Don't turn it sideways. The thing is designed to have it one way unless you talking about the subframe mount, which you can have it anyway you like it. If you talking about the safety stand, or the rail, keep the jack stand sideways or you are gonna be laying sideways in a pile of mud. :faint:

I turn it sideways all the time. It ain't going anywhere unless you force it.

ghostuss
10-22-2004, 07:31 PM
So you are lucky we are actually still talking here :hahano:

aznpoopy
10-23-2004, 03:26 PM
no adapters necessary.

i use a small jack to lift up the car a bit, then slide a bigger jack to the cross member. use diff for rear.

jackstand positions, on a s14... if u look on th einside of the frame rail, you will notice these small hard rectangular blocks of metal. that is where i place the jackstands and that is what i believe the FSM is pointing to in that diagram you put up.

skatanic28
10-23-2004, 04:39 PM
no adapters necessary.

i use a small jack to lift up the car a bit, then slide a bigger jack to the cross member. use diff for rear.

jackstand positions, on a s14... if u look on th einside of the frame rail, you will notice these small hard rectangular blocks of metal. that is where i place the jackstands and that is what i believe the FSM is pointing to in that diagram you put up.

oh alrite cool i will have to look for those next time. ive seen way too many cars with those side rails squished flat from puttin stands or flat jacks on them, so i was tryin to keep this one in good shape.

alkemyst
11-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I noticed mine was smooshed too....doesn't look like it really affects anything....too flimsy to add much rigidity to the car anyway. I plan on fixing it though, probably just need a slide hammer and tack weld it back. Don't quote me on that though as I haven't looked at it fully.

HyperTek
11-08-2004, 12:59 PM
anyone else hate having tire shops change your tires?? they always lift on the frame rails or seems and you end up wiht crushed seems, and then when time comes to remove the fender, you cant becuase eh seem is crushed.... suxors!!! DAM THOSE TIRE SHOPS!!!

alkemyst
11-08-2004, 01:05 PM
anyone else hate having tire shops change your tires?? they always lift on the frame rails or seems and you end up wiht crushed seems, and then when time comes to remove the fender, you cant becuase eh seem is crushed.... suxors!!! DAM THOSE TIRE SHOPS!!!

This also happened to my driver's side....I didn't know those were the fender nuts down there...I had already straightend this using a large flat prybar, a pair of wide pliers and then lined it up as best I could with the rest of the seam.

That probably was the second attempt when they crushed the inner rail....I didn't own the car at that point luckily for those that worked on it.

Å

cinci_s14
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Anyone know how bad it is to jack up an s14 in the front using the cross member under the radiator? I've done it a couple times before seeing the garage jack points shown in the picture below, so I hope I didn't F anything up. :duh: Car seems fine, though.

from the fsm.....
http://www.clarkson.edu/~petrykmf/lift%20points.bmp

anyone know where to grab those adapters?
i made some ghetto ones out of wood but they are meeting their end.

S14DB
02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone know how bad it is to jack up an s14 in the front using the cross member under the radiator? I've done it a couple times before seeing the garage jack points shown in the picture below, so I hope I didn't F anything up. :duh: Car seems fine, though.
I drive up on ramps then put the jack under the crossmember. Jack it up then put jackstands under the pinches.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/JackPoints.jpg

nismo2491
02-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I bent the framerails a while back when my dumbass friend was jacking my car up and used those. they are mangled kinda bad, I'll take some pics soon, but I was thinking of just reboxing them with 1/4" steel plate and welding around where its broken.
KEvin

DaPCWiz
02-14-2005, 02:56 PM
hmmm I generally lift from the seams and put jack stands on the frame rails.... I guess I shouldn't do that...

lifting from the diff or the cross member would mean more stress on the jack (I assume). I have some cheap 2 ton jack. Will that suffice or do I need to go out and buy a better jack (3 ton or so?) for that.

s14shrkeye
02-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Although this post is mad old it wasn't mentioned before that you can get a jack adapter on Eastwood.com for imported cars. It is under shop equipment>jacks/lifts. It looks just like the the jack stand adapters in the Nissan manual, but it replaces the round "dish" on top of your hydraulic jack. It is simply a metal block with a slit cut out of the middle with a metal dowel to fit into the jack on the bottom of the block. The whole set up will work exactly like your stock scissor jack, except much faster now that you can use a hydraulic jack. And no crushed seams or frame rails.

NismoDan
02-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Now that this thread's been semi-resurected, I want to ask about S13 jack stand points.
Suddenly everyone's saying that the frame rails are a horrible place for the jack stands, but my S13 FSM shows this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/CrimsonSunrise/misc/s13jack.jpg

Anybody?

d4vech3n
02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
We don't have 2 pole lifts to jack up our cars.

I don't have those adapters and don't plan on buying them. I set my jack up perpendicular to those little slits so it forms a cross against where that line is suspose to go into the seam.

If you didn't understand that, I basically put it on the points as I should but without those adapters. Is this alright or should I turn it facing the other way?

SpdElemts
02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Is it bad to just lift the front right tire by putting a jack under the front right seam? I thought of this because all that weight is just sitting on one point and may cause the chassis to bend or something.

ghostuss
02-15-2005, 01:01 AM
It's an old chassis so to be safe I won't do anything stupid. Then come to think about it. I bet the Gforce when you drift is more than any of the force put on by the weight of the car against the jack. So as long as you don't just drop the car on to something sticking up. Say a jackstand. I think you won't bent anything. Man is this post old. I started it like months back.