PDA

View Full Version : What rear strut bars go under the 'tray' for S14?

alkemyst
10-14-2004, 06:09 PM
I have a 98 SE, want a under tray rear strut bar, going with the SPL Parts front. I would like a solid setup, but can't find any.

Anyone know the under tray ones....also what mods are needed to install?

Thanks
Å

kaje36
10-14-2004, 06:31 PM
99.99% of them go under the rear deck.. I think the only one that goes over is the Nismo rear STB. there are alot of placed that carry them.. you can find them all the time on e-bay.. I cant remember a shop of the top of my head that has the rears for the s14.. but you can check www.240sxmotoring.com www.srswap.com

alkemyst
10-14-2004, 06:42 PM
?!? most are above the rear deck on the s14.

240Stilo
10-14-2004, 06:46 PM
If you go on ebay and do a search for cp motorsports (I believe) you will find one that goes between the rear seat and trunk of the S14, right next to fuel pump. Its triangulated but you have to drill the holes to mount it. They also make one for the front that connects to the firewall. They SEEM to be the best due to design and strength of material. Also, they're way cheaper.

chrispy
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
?!? most are above the rear deck on the s14.

The only STB's that I've seen above the rear deck are the Nismo and Tanabe ones.

s14srpilot
10-14-2004, 07:00 PM
cusco is the only one i know of that goes below the rear tray

projectRDM
10-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Nismo, Tanabe, and Apex'i all go above, most other go below. The bottom mount ones don't require any modifications.

projectRDM
10-14-2004, 10:08 PM
If you go on ebay and do a search for cp motorsports (I believe) you will find one that goes between the rear seat and trunk of the S14, right next to fuel pump. Its triangulated but you have to drill the holes to mount it. They also make one for the front that connects to the firewall. They SEEM to be the best due to design and strength of material. Also, they're way cheaper.

They're not a good design. The front bar attaches to the firewall, which is the thinnest piece of metal under the hood, with sheetmetal screws. A good pull on it would jerk the screws right out. If they mounted to the ledge below the wiper cowl, where there's double metal and a pinch weld, it would be a lot stronger. I've also heard it covers up part of the VIN plate.

theicecreamdan
10-14-2004, 10:29 PM
i had a front cp bar for an s13 and it was a pretty good design, seemed pretty sturdy to me, the holes in it were far to big for regular sheet metal screws, i never actually took the time to mount it but i was planning to cut out a square of steel the same thickness and sandwich the firewall with the strut bar and that piece and then 2 bolts, it would have been a lot of work to install but i think it would have been worth it.

alkemyst
10-15-2004, 08:22 PM
I am not buying an 'ebay' companies weld project. If they were superior you'd hear it posted here (due to most needing to save a buck).

I would love SPL's Okuyama rear but it's over the tray.....I am getting their front (one piece).

I may pick up the fender braces, anyone have the install page for this...I can't find it now in my bookmarks.

Thanks

projectRDM
10-15-2004, 08:35 PM
There's three detailed installs on FA.