PDA

View Full Version : S13 Sr20det overheats after new headgasket.

drb5721
04-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Threw a rocker in my factory head. Snapped it in half. Figured i was time to put my built head on. Built similar to the golden sr head spec. New oe gasket. No leaks. Started car up. Runs great. While attempting to burp colling system i noticed i had no heat and the lower radiator hose was not hot. Check heater hoses. Lower hose hot, upper cool. Upper radiator hose hot. Popped heater hose off and found no fluid. Drained system. With hose on upper hose, water comes out of radiator at lowet hose. Pulled tstat housing. Ran water through upper coolant neck. Water comes out through tstat hole. Ran water through upper heater hose and through upper pipe where turbo coolant line hooks up. Both fed water to tstat hole. Installed tstat housing without tsat, heat works and hoses are equally warm and no over heating. Tested tstat in pot of water and it opens fine.

Checked water pump, can hear fluid being pumped when hand spun.

Thermostat was replaced about 6 months ago. Not OE but is OE temp rated. Not sure if all of my problem lies in the tstat or something bigger. Will be grabbing another up soon. Besides the new head gasket and head, the only items changed was removal of iacv and throttle body coolant lines. They are now looped.

Do i seem to be on the right track here? Hoping its not a faulty headgasket.

djdryon
04-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Ignore

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

djdryon
04-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Ignore

djdryon
04-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Threw a rocker in my factory head. Snapped it in half. Figured i was time to put my built head on. Built similar to the golden sr head spec. New oe gasket. No leaks. Started car up. Runs great. While attempting to burp colling system i noticed i had no heat and the lower radiator hose was not hot. Check heater hoses. Lower hose hot, upper cool. Upper radiator hose hot. Popped heater hose off and found no fluid. Drained system. With hose on upper hose, water comes out of radiator at lowet hose. Pulled tstat housing. Ran water through upper coolant neck. Water comes out through tstat hole. Ran water through upper heater hose and through upper pipe where turbo coolant line hooks up. Both fed water to tstat hole. Installed tstat housing without tsat, heat works and hoses are equally warm and no over heating. Tested tstat in pot of water and it opens fine.

Checked water pump, can hear fluid being pumped when hand spun.

Thermostat was replaced about 6 months ago. Not OE but is OE temp rated. Not sure if all of my problem lies in the tstat or something bigger. Will be grabbing another up soon. Besides the new head gasket and head, the only items changed was removal of iacv and throttle body coolant lines. They are now looped.

Do i seem to be on the right track here? Hoping its not a faulty headgasket.
Head gasket should have NO affect on temperatures. It's the other way around. Bad head gasket would be smoking and/or mixing fluids.

Make sure you bleed cooling system properly. With my KA I have to lift the front as high a it will go, then remove upper bleed bolt and fill until it spills out of top the hole, then cap the filler and bolt, and run the engine until the thermostat opens and then turn off and check fluids again.